Fossicking thread

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Fossicking thread

Postby Lefty » 29 Apr 2017, 06:38

Off to the river crossing to grab some more pet wood and agate - the crossing's days are numbered now that the construction of the Rookwood weir to boost Rockhampton's water supply has been announced :sad

Powerful floods have recently churned over the gravel banks but I'll bet the Rockhampton fossicking club has already been there and picked it over.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 29 Apr 2017, 10:07

Well, hopefully there will be something left for you!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tender of the Mighty Mash Tun

Postby HBS Guy » 29 Apr 2017, 10:12

Lefty wrote:Those caves are great! What did Milly think of the replicas of the megafauna? Some of those things would have been pretty mean and nasty and all were impressive.

She had a good look at them all. I think the huge megafauna kangaroo and wombat impressed her the most because of course she knows the present much smaller versions. I think it is great Milly sees all these things—the megafauna reproductions, the caves, the Tassie trip—and that I could help with that. The microscope I gave to her cousin will hopefully give Milly too an introduction to the micro world.

What impressed me was her going down the steps tho she was frightened. That takes guts! Once inside she was thrilled. Going up the stairs was no problem.

Milly still wants to go back to Tasmania! Her Mum wants to take her when the snow is there but I doubt that will be this year—there is the trip to Rockhampton and Gladstone to her long time friend in the second half of this year.

Maybe next year we can both go and while I work on the block they can visit the snow. Might as well while there is snow!

I dare say a bottle or two of the Redmans will be opened this winter. It is wine that can stand more cellaring tho.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy

Postby Lefty » 01 May 2017, 06:51

Yeah, going underground takes guts - more than I've got when it comes to a ladder going 50 feet down a 3-foot diameter shaft at least:bgrin

But those caves and fossil centre are great, we would have spent more time looking around there but we were trying to get somewhere before dark.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby Lefty » 01 May 2017, 06:59

Back to the river crossing Saturday, to discover that the floods have changed the spot - and not for the better as far as collecting goes. What was once all gravel banks has now been buried under about a metre of sand, meaning all of the larger sized gravel rocks where the larger bits of material lie are now buried. Some gravel was still exposed but it was covered in a fine layer of silt, making spotting things different from all the other rocks a bit difficult.

Still, I picked up a few bits of material. There was heaps of petrified wood as usual but since I now have so much of that I didn't bother picking it up. The only exception was this piece of wood with agate-filled cavities and bands through it.

This small piece of chalcedony probably has the colour right through and should make a nice small cab if it does.

This larger piece probably does not. I suspect only a small bit on the end is coloured right through.

A small agate nodule.

Probably coloured right through but full of "dirty-looking" inclusions.

A "woodcast" I guess. It has the exact same shape and grain impression as many of the smaller bits of pet wood lying around but is made entirely of chalcedony.

It was a good day out anyway.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 01 May 2017, 23:37

Hmmm found something today, haven’t bought it yet but will.

A Windsor chair, dating to 1868. Looks a lot like this:

Note that there are two “reinforcing” struts on the back. The legs go all the way through the seat so the tops of the legs and the top of the seat are level with each other. The seat is surprisingly comfortable, contoured to the shape of our buttocks.

Put it in the entry hall and sit in it to put shoes on before going outside.

Dates a bit before Art Nouveau, oh well.
HBS Guy

Postby HBS Guy » 06 May 2017, 08:11

The 1868 chair had a big ding in the curved piece of wood so I took the other chair. This one dates to 1915 and has a broad arrow on the back indicating it was made for the government and in 1915 that likely means the military.

It has two “stretchers” connecting the legs, one in the middle as in the above photo and one between the back two legs.

Collected the stoneware bottle. A monster! 50cm or 20inches high with a mouth 10.5cm, 4" wide, measured on the inside.

Stoneware is fired at a much higher temperature than pottery so much so it turns partly into glass. So stoneware, but not earthenware, containers can hold liquids even if not glazed.

The bottle is big, made by hand for industrial use: in the inside you can see what must be the potter’s finger marks. No idea what to use it for, apart for decorative use. Put it near my bar and it can hold my beer bottle tops, wine corks and the like maybe. :bgrin :bgrin Or get a stand made up to hold the bottle horizontally, would make a different sort of icebucket? :jump It is bloody big!
HBS Guy

Postby Lefty » 07 May 2017, 07:18

I often wonder exactly how they carved the arse-prints into wooden chair seats. I mean, some arses are bigger than others, did the carpenter get a bunch of different people to sit on the piece of timber, stencil a line around each arse and then sort of calculate an average arse and run with that? :jump

Grandfather on mum's side was a carpenter. The table my faceting machine sits on was made by him for my grandmother before either mum or aunty were born so it's about 80 years old - and still solid as a rock! The chairs have timber seats with those arse prints carved into them, not sure where the chairs are now though.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 07 May 2017, 10:39

Might be worth finding out where they are, $$$ and sentimental reasons.
HBS Guy

Postby Lefty » 08 May 2017, 06:16

HBS Guy wrote:Might be worth finding out where they are, $$$ and sentimental reasons.

Have a feeling they are stowed away in dad's shed but not sure. They certainly wouldn't have been thrown out.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 08 May 2017, 08:41

My chair cost $290—and its second hand! :bgrin

I reckon that is cheap.
HBS Guy

Postby Lefty » 09 May 2017, 03:08

Test
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby Lefty » 09 May 2017, 03:09

Ok, that worked - yeah, must have been a temporary glitch that was locking me out.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 09 May 2017, 09:02

I am busy as hell right now but later in the week I will update the phpBB installation which should fix your issues.

In the meantime, try logging off and on again, might clear whatever is preventing you from posting.
HBS Guy

Postby HBS Guy » 10 May 2017, 14:47

The Crazy Eruptions That Spit Up Diamonds

https://www.wired.com/2017/05/crazy-eruptions-spit-diamonds/
HBS Guy

Postby Lefty » 15 May 2017, 06:03

HBS Guy wrote:The Crazy Eruptions That Spit Up Diamonds

https://www.wired.com/2017/05/crazy-eruptions-spit-diamonds/

That's pretty wild - the place where I find those pyrope garnets is likely a kimberlite or lamproite vent. Very small area in diameter, lots of boulders of fine-grained volcanic rock embedded with pyrope garnets and ilmenite, low silica (quartz is abundant just up the road but almost absent at the digging site). No diamonds so far though.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 22 May 2017, 20:54

Hmmm bit of fossicking.

Bought a nice wooden magazine/newspaper rack. $15, just nice.

In Strathalbyn saw two barstools made from “farm implement seats” and I sat on one and it was bloody comfy! $45 each. Didn’t buy them but likely I will this Saturday.

In my ignorance I called them “tractor seats” but apparently tractor seats are upholstered and cushioned and that.

Be bloody nice barstools and pretty cheap tho I expect to wave some notes around and get them a bit cheaper. Nice and retro.
HBS Guy

Postby Aussie » 22 May 2017, 23:35

Monk, do you still have a Face Book account?
Aussie
Holy Crapper!

Postby Lefty » 23 May 2017, 06:05

In my ignorance I called them “tractor seats” but apparently tractor seats are upholstered and cushioned and that.

Only the modern ones, the antique varieties were simple steel on flesh!
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 24 May 2017, 01:22

Nope, gave up Facebook when they insisted I email them copy of an ID document and tell them my real name. No fucking way!
HBS Guy

Postby Lefty » 24 May 2017, 06:54

HBS Guy wrote:Nope, gave up Facebook when they insisted I email them copy of an ID document and tell them my real name. No fucking way!

Don't they sell any personal info you give them?
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 24 May 2017, 10:37

Lefty wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Nope, gave up Facebook when they insisted I email them copy of an ID document and tell them my real name. No fucking way!

Don't they sell any personal info you give them?

That is why I parted company with Facebook. They mentioned I should use my real name so real life friends, acquaintances from the past etc would know it was me. Totally irrelevant—they wanted my name to get more money selling my details. Fuck that! My name was not relevant on my Friends of the NBN page. (I had mentioned it in the profile part of the page, that was enough.)
HBS Guy

Postby HBS Guy » 24 May 2017, 22:34

My lovely big stoneware bottle. The green ruler leaning against it is 18"/45cm long.

It has picked up some signs of wear and tear but since it is 99.9% as it was made and it was an industrial item who cares?
HBS Guy

Postby Lefty » 27 May 2017, 08:33

HBS Guy wrote:My lovely big stoneware bottle. The green ruler leaning against it is 18"/45cm long.

It has picked up some signs of wear and tear but since it is 99.9% as it was made and it was an industrial item who cares?

Erm....I think the photo is missing?
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 27 May 2017, 15:47

Hahaha so it was Lefty! Hereitis!

HBS Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic