Food thread

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Food thread

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Feb 2018, 10:55

Breakfast today. . . .is super simple.

Sourdough bread, bit EVOO, slice smoked wagyu beef. Delicious!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 10 Feb 2018, 01:54

HBS Guy wrote:Breakfast today. . . .is super simple.

Sourdough bread, bit EVOO, slice smoked wagyu beef. Delicious!

what is EVOO..?
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Feb 2018, 08:36

Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Feb 2018, 15:41

Little snack:

Provolone piccante
olives
smoked wagyu beef.

Hmmm
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 11 Feb 2018, 08:08

Hmm, dinner tonight........hmmm.....

I typically do a roast of some sort on Sundays. However, a shit-awful heatwave is forecast to begin impacting here today. I'll still eat hot food in hot weather but the last thing I want to do is pump the house full of extra heat from a hot oven for hours on end under such conditions.

Hmmm, thinking.......
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Feb 2018, 08:11

This is why I want a pizza oven outside, yes gets, ho, errrr, warm in Tassie in summer.

Can do a roast on a BBQ kettle etc.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 11 Feb 2018, 08:20

Yeah, ultimately I'd like that veranda of mine extended and a kitchen put out there - you need to keep the heat out of the house for at least half the year here.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Feb 2018, 10:30

It is a great verandah. The one at Mum’s place faces north and is stinking hot in summer and in winter the wind and rain, coming from the NW, makes it too wet and windy to do anything in the verandah. The banana tree from the pup you gave me gives some nice shade in summer :thumb
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 11 Feb 2018, 11:29

Excellent! Has it thrown any more pups/suckers?

Just gave the Lisbon lemon and Tahitian limes a good, heavy drink. Both trees are loaded with fruit and lemons and limes are too useful to have fall off the tree from water stress :jump
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby johnsmith » 11 Feb 2018, 16:58

Lefty wrote:Yeah, ultimately I'd like that veranda of mine extended and a kitchen put out there - you need to keep the heat out of the house for at least half the year here.

travelling through rural Romania it was a common sight to see indoor and outdoor kitchens in all the houses we stayed at. Not just a BBQ, but a proper kitchen setup. Keep in mind many of these places still use wood fire cookers. Indoor one used in winter would also serve to warm up the house from the cold, summer one used outside so as to keep the heat out.
It's a good idea and one we should adopt, at least to help keep places cooler.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Feb 2018, 17:18

It is a prime requirement of my future Tassie kitchen that summer cooking (esp roasts, bread etc) be done outside. Brick woodfired oven, ohhhhh!!!!!!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Feb 2018, 18:23

FUCKING MUTT!

Had dinner all planned: kale, pork chops (very special ones not supermarket junk) tomato, cucumber and basil salad and sliced boiled spud to be fried in the pork fat.

Dinner well on the way, got the packet of chops out the fridge so they could warm up a bit, had to leave the kitchen. Looked for the chops. Mutt had stolen them and ate them! She is in the back porch in disgrace and will be there for a while! :S
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 13 Feb 2018, 22:59

HBS Guy wrote:FUCKING MUTT!

Had dinner all planned: kale, pork chops (very special ones not supermarket junk) tomato, cucumber and basil salad and sliced boiled spud to be fried in the pork fat.

Dinner well on the way, got the packet of chops out the fridge so they could warm up a bit, had to leave the kitchen. Looked for the chops. Mutt had stolen them and ate them! She is in the back porch in disgrace and will be there for a while! :S
++ :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin

:rofl :rofl

sorry.. just I had something similar occur, only it was shopping. lovely fillet steak, etc.. MUTT now is fully restrained in vehicle.
Hey .. it is OUR fault you know.?

sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 14 Feb 2018, 03:31

pinkeye wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:FUCKING MUTT!

++ :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin

sorry.. just I had something similar occur, only it was shopping. lovely fillet steak, etc.. MUTT now is fully restrained in vehicle.
Hey .. it is OUR fault you know.?

BUT
I absolutely agree that meat should only be cooked when room temp is achieved, if poss. A propitious start to a gastronomic triumph.:)
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Feb 2018, 09:24

EVERY fucking dog is a complete garbage guts! I just happened to forget that.

Oh well, porterhouse steak, grass fed beef was YUM!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Feb 2018, 18:08

Got a yen for Vietnamese pho.

Will buy the stock ingredients tomorrow at the market, quite a bit of bones: 2.5Kg

Key to a clear broth: boil the bones a few minutes, drain and rinse the bones, rinse & wipe the pan then put the bones back and a lot of cold water and the other stuff.

https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/vietnamese-soup-pho
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 20 Feb 2018, 21:03

HBS Guy wrote:Got a yen for Vietnamese pho.

Will buy the stock ingredients tomorrow at the market, quite a bit of bones: 2.5Kg

Key to a clear broth: boil the bones a few minutes, drain and rinse the bones, rinse & wipe the pan then put the bones back and a lot of cold water and the other stuff.

https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/vietnamese-soup-pho

a difficult soup to create. Good on you.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Feb 2018, 21:45

Well, had a Chinese banquet to go to, so have not done anything yet.

I love spices.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 28 Feb 2018, 01:36

HBS Guy wrote:Well, had a Chinese banquet to go to, so have not done anything yet.

I love spices.

I have been pretty slack lately re cooking. Done the bare minimum. Its been too hot, humid, and wet to get excited about cooking.
When the weather cools, I've got a beef cheek. Again. This time I'll try something different.

Not a curry, BUT definitely full of chillies.

My Thai Red chillies are being given away to anyone who wants them, My Habanero's are multiplying... my curry leaf is getting out of hand. Oh dear.

I'm going to have to get out my lopper and decimate it, again.!

WARNING.!!!!! Don't plant Curry Leaf Trees in the garden.... they must be retrained in pots.
They go wild here. I suppose they could make an excellent hedge BUT.... you'd spend half of all your free time trying to keep it in control.!
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Feb 2018, 01:56

Yeah, hot today.

Tomorrow better, going to make almond paste and on the weekend cook a “gevulde zandtaart” cake with almond paste in it. If that is OK I will make one to take with me to Tassie. Also make some zandkoekjes, simple but tasty biccies. Will cut them a bit thicker than the batch I took to the gemfields—biscuits broken into small pieces. Will also use bubblewrap.

Bought some wine today, take two bottles to Tassie, lubricate discussions with various people there.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Mar 2018, 19:50

Junk food for dinner tonight: Vilis pie and pasty. Bit of sliced tomato and dill gherkin on the side. A nice light, flaky, peppery pastry and quality contents.

Cheaper and nicer than Dominoes—grease pizzas!

Tamar Valley (Tassie, of course! :bgrin ) yoghurt and fresh raspberries to finish.

Just didn’t feel up to cooking.

Means I need to get up early and make a star anise chocolate cake and apple sauce.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Mar 2018, 09:07

Star anise chocolate cake—baked and out the oven! Two 100g bars of 78% chocolate in there—I better hear no complaints!

Apples well on the way to turning into applesauce, moulie the apple mass soon, let it cook down with a half tsp ground cinnamon and 1/4 tsp ground (by me!) star anise. I pounded the star anise last night, god the lounge smelled goooooooood! Sieved it to get a slightly coarse (coarser than bought ground spice) powder.

Herbed tomato and mushroom salad—chopping basil now, mint is next. I seasoned the tomatoes with salt, pepper and tiny pinch caster sugar, be awesome at lunch time. Added an apple cut peeled and cut up for bit of crunch.

Finish chopping the basil and mint, whip up some caramel cream—done! Phew!

Mum is here and is doing the dishes, thank goodness! I am enjoying a well–earned cup of coffee!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 06 Mar 2018, 01:32

I had a go at Beef Rendang tonight. With a twist.
Confess to using a spice mix purchased from the supermarket. Beef cheek plus I added carrots and potatoes, black pepper and curry leaf. :bgrin

Took hours, but the meat was very succulent. My one complaint was the texture of the sauce. It was a bit particulate. Not enough coconut milk perhaps.?
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 06 Mar 2018, 10:03

I love a nice rendang.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 06 Mar 2018, 12:46

HBS Guy wrote:I love a nice rendang.

never tried it

tried Indian food once or twice, never again

Growing up we had an indian guy who lived alone in a flat downstairs. He used to get bored so occasionally he'd cook and then bring us some. Bought a cooked egg once, my gosh did it stink :OMG :OMG .... 35yrs later I can still smell it. looking back know it was like one of those 1000yr eggs in chinese cuisine. No one was game enough to try it and we couldn't put it in the bin cause he shared the bin and mum was worried he'd find it (smell it) and get upset. Behind our block was some shrubland so I ended up throwing it over the back fence. :clap
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic