Meat IS NOT murder

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Meat IS NOT murder

Postby Gordy » 12 Mar 2018, 15:20

Sounds good to me, I'd try a frankenburger if I couldn't tell the difference or if they tasted different but still good.


http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/clean-meat-lab-grown-available-restaurants-2018-global-warming-greenhouse-emissions-a8236676.html
Gordy
Chihuahua
 
Posts: 80
Joined: 26 Feb 2018, 11:37
spamone: Animal

Re: Meat IS NOT murder

Postby MilesAway » 12 Mar 2018, 18:15

Not sure I like this fake meat thing...
User avatar
MilesAway
Jaguar
 
Posts: 1577
Joined: 27 Oct 2017, 12:01
spamone: Animal

Re: Meat IS NOT murder

Postby Vulcan » 13 Mar 2018, 16:52

Just had some Buffalo.
A bit of a change from my usual Kangaroo quality.
Buffalo: Absolutely delicious!!!! It was like naturally 'smoked' in flavour and easy to cook. Fully rich like a fine red wine.

Rabbit: my first rabbit was - well, a bit like chicken in taste (mostly like the 'white' meat parts), not a pleasing smell to it. Stringy and thin in most parts but for the hind legs. Not a Restaurant or Gourmet meat. But definitely a 'Bush-Camping' meat if one should catch a few.

Wild Boar: Definitely a 'boring' taste. Not unpleasant, but nothing exceptional like (Water) Buffalo. Easy to cook and another 'Bush Camping' meat due to availability out there.
Vulcan
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 346
Joined: 02 Dec 2017, 15:28
spamone: Animal

Re: Meat IS NOT murder

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Mar 2018, 16:57

I find buffalo totally tasteless.

Camel, now you are talking! Bit tough but O. . M. .G! YUM!


Hmmm camel rendang, worth trying, OMG will be unreal!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 50066
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: Meat IS NOT murder

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Mar 2018, 17:24

Meat IS murder. Boom!

But carnivores and omnivores need meat—some meat, probably not as much as we eat now.

Meat is also delicious! And healthy in moderation.

We are not vegetarians by nature. We do not have the elaborate digestive tract of a ruminant, a vegetarian.

Did I mention meat is fucking delicious? I eat all the parts of an animal: the steaks and chops, the tougher bits, the skirt steak, chump, beef cheeks etc and even stuff like tongue, sweetbreads (thyroid gland) and kidneys, liver. I even buy marrow bone, cook them and eat the marrow. And crap, bony parts of the cow—stock! When it comes to pea soup—and poor Agnes the moron gets even more unmoored from reality—a pigs head makes the very BEST stock. And the pig has no use for it anymore, eh? Pigs heads not sold to Dutch bastards—probably gets turned into sausages, pies and god knows what!

Eggs—delicate souls don’t like to eat eggs with a trace <shudder> of <oh, can I say it> yes I can: a trace of blood! Aaaargghhhh!
Commercial eggs that show a trace of blood on being “candled” (look it up!) are redirected to be turned into dried, pasteurised eggs for the confectionary trade. Like chocolate? Yup, you have eaten bloody egg! {canned ghoulish laughter)

I have made and enjoyed both kangaroo and oxtail soups.

Animals do not lay down their lives for us. They are killed for our convenience. I want to honor that animal by not eating just “the good bits.”
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 50066
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: Meat IS NOT murder

Postby Vulcan » 13 Mar 2018, 17:50

I did watch a good evidencial based Doco on 'early Hominid' history of Humanity.

One things stood out that the 'earlier' Hominids were Vegans and because of the slower digestive act of plants, in the lower intestine. The Hominid appearance was mostly short and 'squatty' (like E.T.). When Homo-Aegustus came about, they idea of 'scavenging' from dead animals - the meat as a food source, changed the appearance of the Hominid to a more 'erect' stature due to meat digesting quicker and in the upper intestine.
It was from this on-wards that the opportune ability of 'omnivore' became the success over 'specialisation' and this was also the success of Homo-Sapiens over Neanderthal and Denisovans (& African version) who preffered to just sit at home in Caves on the Internet. :bgrin
Vulcan
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 346
Joined: 02 Dec 2017, 15:28
spamone: Animal

Re: Meat IS NOT murder

Postby Dax » 28 Mar 2018, 13:57

Of course humans are omnivores, which was for survival necessities eons ago. Now eating meat is basically pure greed and gluttony. The problem is not the eating of meat, but the way we go about it, enslaving, torturing and abusing animals just to satisfy human gluttony and their macabre form of enjoyment at the expense of the animal kingdom.

The gluttony of humans is one reason for climate change, which is contributing to the devastation of lands, the pollution of seas and water ways. Like all things humans do today, eating of meats from enslaved animals for self pleasure, is a sign of how irresponsible humanity has become. Very few are prepared to take responsibility for their footprint on the planet, it's all me me me and bugger the future.

The majority are happy to stuff themselves with animal products, yet if you asked them to breed, look after then kill their animals for food, the majority refuse. To add to that insanity, humans kill for pleasure and see themselves as superior to animals. But the real facts are, humans are extremely inferior to other animals and have not evolved as the earth has.

In the animal kingdom, there is very little if any killing for pleasure, the animals kingdom has scruples, ethics and only kill to feed, not for pleasure or gluttony and is the complete opposite to how humans operate.

Humans are destroyers and abusers of all life, by definition. Of course everyone will deny this, but their lifestyles reveal the truth, obesity, illness, pollution and complete irresponsibility for their lives and the animals they enslave, poison and then consume.
User avatar
Dax
mountain lion
 
Posts: 677
Joined: 12 Apr 2017, 12:15
spamone: Animal

Re: Meat IS NOT murder

Postby mothra » 28 Mar 2018, 15:30

Dax wrote:Of course humans are omnivores, which was for survival necessities eons ago. Now eating meat is basically pure greed and gluttony. The problem is not the eating of meat, but the way we go about it, enslaving, torturing and abusing animals just to satisfy human gluttony and their macabre form of enjoyment at the expense of the animal kingdom.

The gluttony of humans is one reason for climate change, which is contributing to the devastation of lands, the pollution of seas and water ways. Like all things humans do today, eating of meats from enslaved animals for self pleasure, is a sign of how irresponsible humanity has become. Very few are prepared to take responsibility for their footprint on the planet, it's all me me me and bugger the future.

The majority are happy to stuff themselves with animal products, yet if you asked them to breed, look after then kill their animals for food, the majority refuse. To add to that insanity, humans kill for pleasure and see themselves as superior to animals. But the real facts are, humans are extremely inferior to other animals and have not evolved as the earth has.

In the animal kingdom, there is very little if any killing for pleasure, the animals kingdom has scruples, ethics and only kill to feed, not for pleasure or gluttony and is the complete opposite to how humans operate.

Humans are destroyers and abusers of all life, by definition. Of course everyone will deny this, but their lifestyles reveal the truth, obesity, illness, pollution and complete irresponsibility for their lives and the animals they enslave, poison and then consume.


An excellent post.

I suspect you'll cop some heat over it though.
User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 5576
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 18:47
spamone: Animal

Re: Meat IS NOT murder

Postby greggerypeccary » 28 Mar 2018, 15:41

mothra wrote:
Dax wrote:Of course humans are omnivores, which was for survival necessities eons ago. Now eating meat is basically pure greed and gluttony. The problem is not the eating of meat, but the way we go about it, enslaving, torturing and abusing animals just to satisfy human gluttony and their macabre form of enjoyment at the expense of the animal kingdom.

The gluttony of humans is one reason for climate change, which is contributing to the devastation of lands, the pollution of seas and water ways. Like all things humans do today, eating of meats from enslaved animals for self pleasure, is a sign of how irresponsible humanity has become. Very few are prepared to take responsibility for their footprint on the planet, it's all me me me and bugger the future.

The majority are happy to stuff themselves with animal products, yet if you asked them to breed, look after then kill their animals for food, the majority refuse. To add to that insanity, humans kill for pleasure and see themselves as superior to animals. But the real facts are, humans are extremely inferior to other animals and have not evolved as the earth has.

In the animal kingdom, there is very little if any killing for pleasure, the animals kingdom has scruples, ethics and only kill to feed, not for pleasure or gluttony and is the complete opposite to how humans operate.

Humans are destroyers and abusers of all life, by definition. Of course everyone will deny this, but their lifestyles reveal the truth, obesity, illness, pollution and complete irresponsibility for their lives and the animals they enslave, poison and then consume.


An excellent post.

I suspect you'll cop some heat over it though.


Captain Caveman has recommended a good book at OzPol.

I've just ordered a copy.

https://www.bookdepository.com/Diet-for-New-America-John-Robbins/9781932073546
greggerypeccary
Jaguar
 
Posts: 2353
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 15:52
spamone: Animal

Re: Meat IS NOT murder

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Mar 2018, 16:18

Some carnivores go into a killing frenzy when they have made a kill and other prey are around.
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 50066
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: Meat IS NOT murder

Postby mothra » 28 Mar 2018, 16:46

greggerypeccary wrote:Captain Caveman has recommended a good book at OzPol.

I've just ordered a copy.

https://www.bookdepository.com/Diet-for-New-America-John-Robbins/9781932073546



Ooooooh nice one. Give me a review of it when you've read it?
User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 5576
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 18:47
spamone: Animal

Re: Meat IS NOT murder

Postby greggerypeccary » 28 Mar 2018, 17:14

mothra wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:Captain Caveman has recommended a good book at OzPol.

I've just ordered a copy.

https://www.bookdepository.com/Diet-for-New-America-John-Robbins/9781932073546



Ooooooh nice one. Give me a review of it when you've read it?


Will do. It'll take about a week to arrive (or a bit longer, considering Easter).

I'll take that OS with me to read in the next month or so.

Over Easter I'll be reading Tim Winton's new book.
greggerypeccary
Jaguar
 
Posts: 2353
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 15:52
spamone: Animal

Re: Meat IS NOT murder

Postby mothra » 28 Mar 2018, 17:27

greggerypeccary wrote:Will do. It'll take about a week to arrive (or a bit longer, considering Easter).

I'll take that OS with me to read in the next month or so.

Over Easter I'll be reading Tim Winton's new book.


I read an interview with him the other day about 'The Shepherd's Hut' .... i am very much looking forward to reading it. he says that it's a work based on decades of observing men. I'm a big fan of his. I very much like the way his mind works. Be interested to hear what you have to say about it.
User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 5576
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 18:47
spamone: Animal

Re: Meat IS NOT murder

Postby MilesAway » 28 Mar 2018, 18:16

mothra wrote:
Dax wrote:Of course humans are omnivores, which was for survival necessities eons ago. Now eating meat is basically pure greed and gluttony. The problem is not the eating of meat, but the way we go about it, enslaving, torturing and abusing animals just to satisfy human gluttony and their macabre form of enjoyment at the expense of the animal kingdom.

The gluttony of humans is one reason for climate change, which is contributing to the devastation of lands, the pollution of seas and water ways. Like all things humans do today, eating of meats from enslaved animals for self pleasure, is a sign of how irresponsible humanity has become. Very few are prepared to take responsibility for their footprint on the planet, it's all me me me and bugger the future.

The majority are happy to stuff themselves with animal products, yet if you asked them to breed, look after then kill their animals for food, the majority refuse. To add to that insanity, humans kill for pleasure and see themselves as superior to animals. But the real facts are, humans are extremely inferior to other animals and have not evolved as the earth has.

In the animal kingdom, there is very little if any killing for pleasure, the animals kingdom has scruples, ethics and only kill to feed, not for pleasure or gluttony and is the complete opposite to how humans operate.

Humans are destroyers and abusers of all life, by definition. Of course everyone will deny this, but their lifestyles reveal the truth, obesity, illness, pollution and complete irresponsibility for their lives and the animals they enslave, poison and then consume.


An excellent post.

I suspect you'll cop some heat over it though.

He's using the old black is actually white argument and you call it an excellent post!

:rofl
User avatar
MilesAway
Jaguar
 
Posts: 1577
Joined: 27 Oct 2017, 12:01
spamone: Animal

Re: Meat IS NOT murder

Postby greggerypeccary » 28 Mar 2018, 20:11

mothra wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:Will do. It'll take about a week to arrive (or a bit longer, considering Easter).

I'll take that OS with me to read in the next month or so.

Over Easter I'll be reading Tim Winton's new book.


I read an interview with him the other day about 'The Shepherd's Hut' .... i am very much looking forward to reading it. he says that it's a work based on decades of observing men. I'm a big fan of his. I very much like the way his mind works. Be interested to hear what you have to say about it.


I bought it today, and it's on the office desk ready for the weekend.

Tim and I are almost the same age, and we grew up close to each other (he was raised in a suburb here in Perth called Karrinyup).

His books always get me in, because he describes the things I did as a kid, and as a teenager, and as a young adult.

He's been to all the same places as me, fished in the same spots, swam at the same beaches, and chased girls in the same pubs.

I think I'll enjoy this book very much.

I don't think aquascoot would, though.
greggerypeccary
Jaguar
 
Posts: 2353
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 15:52
spamone: Animal

Re: Meat IS NOT murder

Postby mothra » 28 Mar 2018, 20:22

greggerypeccary wrote:
I think I'll enjoy this book very much.

I don't think aquascoot would, though.


No. I think Horse-boy would struggle. I feel so awful every time someone validates him. He truly spouts the most toxic, outdated rubbish.

Honky should be court ordered to read it.
User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 5576
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 18:47
spamone: Animal

Re: Meat IS NOT murder

Postby mothra » 28 Mar 2018, 20:25

greggerypeccary wrote:
I bought it today, and it's on the office desk ready for the weekend.

Tim and I are almost the same age, and we grew up close to each other (he was raised in a suburb here in Perth called Karrinyup).

His books always get me in, because he describes the things I did as a kid, and as a teenager, and as a young adult.

He's been to all the same places as me, fished in the same spots, swam at the same beaches, and chased girls in the same pubs.



I wish i had an author of that calibre who documented the scenery of my life. That's a pretty speccy thing to have. Good for you!

Be a shame if Tim grew up a few paddocks over from Horse-boy.
User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 5576
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 18:47
spamone: Animal

Re: Meat IS NOT murder

Postby greggerypeccary » 28 Mar 2018, 20:41

mothra wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:
I bought it today, and it's on the office desk ready for the weekend.

Tim and I are almost the same age, and we grew up close to each other (he was raised in a suburb here in Perth called Karrinyup).

His books always get me in, because he describes the things I did as a kid, and as a teenager, and as a young adult.

He's been to all the same places as me, fished in the same spots, swam at the same beaches, and chased girls in the same pubs.



I wish i had an author of that calibre who documented the scenery of my life. That's a pretty speccy thing to have. Good for you!

Be a shame if Tim grew up a few paddocks over from Horse-boy.


It really is pretty good.

And, in Cloudstreet he documents the scenery of my mother's life.

So similar, in fact, it's scary.

I've never met him, and have never seen him around Perth, despite frequenting a lot of the same places.

Maybe Perth isn't that small after all.

One of my other favourite authors is Ben Elton.

I've met Ben many times, and have even had a few beers with him in Fremantle (back in the '80s when he was courting his wife).

He lives in Fremantle now, and is an outspoken greeny here in the west.

He got in trouble with the council for having too many solar panels on his roof.

His neighbours thought they were ugly.
greggerypeccary
Jaguar
 
Posts: 2353
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 15:52
spamone: Animal

Re: Meat IS NOT murder

Postby mothra » 28 Mar 2018, 20:49

greggerypeccary wrote:
It really is pretty good.

And, in Cloudstreet he documents the scenery of my mother's life.

So similar, in fact, it's scary.

I've never met him, and have never seen him around Perth, despite frequenting a lot of the same places.

Maybe Perth isn't that small after all.

One of my other favourite authors is Ben Elton.

I've met Ben many times, and have even had a few beers with him in Fremantle (back in the '80s when he was courting his wife).

He lives in Fremantle now, and is an outspoken greeny here in the west.

He got in trouble with the council for having too many solar panels on his roof.

His neighbours thought they were ugly.


I'm a huge Ben Elton fan. 'Stark' and 'This Other Eden' are just brilliant,

I think Ben's got an almost Kurt Vonnegut (my literary god) worthy ability to convey intimate understanding of a character in a short paragraph. Very clever.
User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 5576
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 18:47
spamone: Animal

Re: Meat IS NOT murder

Postby mothra » 28 Mar 2018, 20:55

One thing that both Winton and Elton have in common, that my lord Vonnegut fails at miserably, is that they write women really, really well. They actually get us. It's almost as though they have friends amongst us who the sincerely consider their equals. I've forgotten her name but the woman in 'Dirt Music' ... he nailed her.

You'd be surprised at how often blokes fuck that up utterly.
User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 5576
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 18:47
spamone: Animal

Re: Meat IS NOT murder

Postby greggerypeccary » 28 Mar 2018, 21:02

mothra wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:
It really is pretty good.

And, in Cloudstreet he documents the scenery of my mother's life.

So similar, in fact, it's scary.

I've never met him, and have never seen him around Perth, despite frequenting a lot of the same places.

Maybe Perth isn't that small after all.

One of my other favourite authors is Ben Elton.

I've met Ben many times, and have even had a few beers with him in Fremantle (back in the '80s when he was courting his wife).

He lives in Fremantle now, and is an outspoken greeny here in the west.

He got in trouble with the council for having too many solar panels on his roof.

His neighbours thought they were ugly.


I'm a huge Ben Elton fan. 'Stark' and 'This Other Eden' are just brilliant,

I think Ben's got an almost Kurt Vonnegut (my literary god) worthy ability to convey intimate understanding of a character in a short paragraph. Very clever.


This is a true story, I swear to Cliff.

When I had those beers with him in Fremantle, back in the '80s, he was writing Stark at the time (right there, in the pub).

He had a notepad and pen, and was writing the novel whilst watching his girlfriend play on stage.

She was in a band called the Jam Tarts.
greggerypeccary
Jaguar
 
Posts: 2353
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 15:52
spamone: Animal

Re: Meat IS NOT murder

Postby mothra » 28 Mar 2018, 21:46

greggerypeccary wrote:
This is a true story, I swear to Cliff.

When I had those beers with him in Fremantle, back in the '80s, he was writing Stark at the time (right there, in the pub).

He had a notepad and pen, and was writing the novel whilst watching his girlfriend play on stage.

She was in a band called the Jam Tarts.


Them's some serious cred points. Very cool.

And Jam Tarts is a great name for a band.
User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 5576
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 18:47
spamone: Animal

Re: Meat IS NOT murder

Postby greggerypeccary » 28 Mar 2018, 22:14

mothra wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:
This is a true story, I swear to Cliff.

When I had those beers with him in Fremantle, back in the '80s, he was writing Stark at the time (right there, in the pub).

He had a notepad and pen, and was writing the novel whilst watching his girlfriend play on stage.

She was in a band called the Jam Tarts.


Them's some serious cred points. Very cool.

And Jam Tarts is a great name for a band.


It was the Jam Tarts and the Nansing Quartet.

They were great.

greggerypeccary
Jaguar
 
Posts: 2353
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 15:52
spamone: Animal

Re: Meat IS NOT murder

Postby Dax » 29 Mar 2018, 05:49

HBS Guy wrote:Some carnivores go into a killing frenzy when they have made a kill and other prey are around.


Which carnivores are those, other than human.

MilesAway wrote:He's using the old black is actually white argument and you call it an excellent post!

:rofl


I'm using facts, backed up by science. The use the black is actually white claim, is a denial of reality position and is extremely common in the lives of ideologues. Whose only real approach to situations they don't like, is to try to turn the argument around to suit themselves. Problem is, they never have anything to back up their claims.
User avatar
Dax
mountain lion
 
Posts: 677
Joined: 12 Apr 2017, 12:15
spamone: Animal

Re: Meat IS NOT murder

Postby MilesAway » 29 Mar 2018, 13:39

Dax wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Some carnivores go into a killing frenzy when they have made a kill and other prey are around.


Which carnivores are those, other than human.

MilesAway wrote:He's using the old black is actually white argument and you call it an excellent post!

:rofl


I'm using facts, backed up by science. The use the black is actually white claim, is a denial of reality position and is extremely common in the lives of ideologues. Whose only real approach to situations they don't like, is to try to turn the argument around to suit themselves. Problem is, they never have anything to back up their claims.

You claim to use facts but you also omit them!

:beer
User avatar
MilesAway
Jaguar
 
Posts: 1577
Joined: 27 Oct 2017, 12:01
spamone: Animal

Next

Return to Off Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest