Dealing With Internet Trolls

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Dealing With Internet Trolls

Postby SethBullock » 09 Nov 2018, 14:22

Hello Animals,

I have enjoyed my short time on your site with the exception of the internet troll who has been sliming it recently. Thankfully, he's out of here now.

I am new to your site, but I am not new to internet forums. I have been active on them for about 11 years now, so I have at least that much experience dealing with the trolls. It is through that experience that I have learned a few things about them and how to deal with them.

1) Generally, these are isolated, pathetic individuals who crave attention. I don't believe they like themselves, and the internet provides a way to spread the misery around. Misery loves company, after all. They may also be sociopathic, hateful individuals who, again, find a way to hate through the internet. And, often times they are obsessive and predatory in their pursuit of certain other members on a forum.

2) You cannot fix them. Whatever mental, emotional, or familial pathology has brought them to the point where they just want crap on anybody and everybody is not something you can change.

3) The best way an average forum member can fight against a committed internet troll is to ignore him. They seek attention. They want to get a rise out of you. When they say something exceptionally offensive, they are waiting and hoping for a response. They like the chaos, not unlike the way an anarchist likes a riot. And so, if you respond - even just to say "fuck off" - they won. You just gave him what he wanted, what he was hoping for. It doesn't matter how strongly you repudiate the troll. In his mind, the stronger, the better. He wins, because he baited you, and you responded with the attention he seeks.

If you want to hurt an internet troll, let him talk to ... air. Give him exactly nothing. If he starts a thread, don't post on it. If he posts on a thread you start, don't reply back. If he makes some noxious reply to a comment you made on a thread, don't answer back. Let the troll talk to nothing. That's how you hurt them.

I've heard it said, "I've got to fight back. You hit me, I hit back." That's fine in real life, but that doesn't work on the internet. When you hit back on the internet, the troll wins automatically, because that's what he wanted you to do. How can you fight back when your nemesis wants you to fight back? You can't win. Not on the internet anyway. The moment you strike back, the troll wins.

4) Know what kind of site you want. If you want it to be a site full of profane, hateful, and offensive interaction, you may have it. If you want it to be a respectful and friendly place, you may have it. You cannot have them both. If you choose the latter, you have to have rules, and you have to enforce them. The more quickly and assertively you enforce your rules, the fewer violations you're going to have.

So now that the arrogant American visitor has told you how to run your site ... :roll
"Humility must always be the portion of any man who receives acclaim earned in the blood of his followers and the sacrifices of his friends." - Dwight D Eisenhower
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

spamone: Animal

Re: Dealing With Internet Trolls

Postby Bongalong » 09 Nov 2018, 16:05

Lol, are you some kind of tryhard fascist? Accept it- you're a troll bruther!
Free what?
Bongalong
mountain lion

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Nov 2018, 16:14

Seth is correct, DRAH. People like fishguts, like IQ from the sewer. Quite a few on OzPol, get their jollies bashing Muslims or there are grubs like AiA.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 09 Nov 2018, 16:42

Bongalong wrote:Lol, are you some kind of tryhard fascist? Accept it- you're a troll bruther!

I go to the store and troll the beer aisle.

:beer
"Humility must always be the portion of any man who receives acclaim earned in the blood of his followers and the sacrifices of his friends." - Dwight D Eisenhower
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

Postby Texan » 10 Nov 2018, 09:07

I don't know. If they won't get out of your way, I kind of like messing with them. I found I couldn't post without Fishguts agreeing with me, and then adding some stupid and/or racist comment. Or if he was making an argument that I mostly agreed with, I couldn't post for fear of being associated with all of the stupid stuff he said. I felt he was making me look like a racist idiot because he was agreeing with me at least partially on some issues. It worked out. I separated myself from him (association wise) and now I don't have to deal with him.

It was funny. He brought up "shit" a lot and it really set him off when somebody called him a "piece of shit". It was his "trigger" word.
Texan
Feral cat

Postby johnsmith » 10 Nov 2018, 10:07

Texan wrote:I don't know. If they won't get out of your way, I kind of like messing with them. I found I couldn't post without Fishguts agreeing with me, and then adding some stupid and/or racist comment. Or if he was making an argument that I mostly agreed with, I couldn't post for fear of being associated with all of the stupid stuff he said. I felt he was making me look like a racist idiot because he was agreeing with me at least partially on some issues. It worked out. I separated myself from him (association wise) and now I don't have to deal with him.

It was funny. He brought up "shit" a lot and it really set him off when somebody called him a "piece of shit". It was his "trigger" word.

it was fun while it lasted :yahoo
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby Bongalong » 10 Nov 2018, 12:09

HBS Guy wrote:Seth is correct, DRAH. People like fishguts, like IQ from the sewer. Quite a few on OzPol, get their jollies bashing Muslims or there are grubs like AiA.

Did you even see what happened in Melbourne? :roll
Free what?
Bongalong
mountain lion

Postby Bongalong » 10 Nov 2018, 12:11

SethBullock wrote:
Bongalong wrote:Lol, are you some kind of tryhard fascist? Accept it- you're a troll bruther!

I go to the store and troll the beer aisle.

:beer

Yes, trolling is good for us all!

Troll-lol-lol-lol-lol :bike :bike
Free what?
Bongalong
mountain lion

Postby Bongalong » 10 Nov 2018, 12:13

Texan wrote:I don't know. If they won't get out of your way, I kind of like messing with them. I found I couldn't post without Fishguts agreeing with me, and then adding some stupid and/or racist comment. Or if he was making an argument that I mostly agreed with, I couldn't post for fear of being associated with all of the stupid stuff he said. I felt he was making me look like a racist idiot because he was agreeing with me at least partially on some issues. It worked out. I separated myself from him (association wise) and now I don't have to deal with him.

Lol, 'trigger word',... it's amazing how many trolls constantly sell this psychology crap: it just gives full time jobs to 'healthcare workers' who do nothing.

:Hi :Hi
Free what?
Bongalong
mountain lion

Return to Off Topic