I'm going to Europe!

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

I'm going to Europe!

Postby Miranda » 11 Jan 2019, 12:29

I'm going to Europe in August for 6 weeks. Any advice for my travels would be greatly appreciated.
Miranda
Jack Russell

spamone: Animal

Re: I'm going to Europe!

Postby greggerypeccary » 11 Jan 2019, 12:35

Nice :bgrin You'll love it!

London - buy an Oyster card for travelling on public transport.

Rome - get to the Colosseum early, and don't forget to go to the Forum across the road (it's included in the Colosseum ticket price).

Paris - watch out for the girls with clipboards asking you to sign a petition - they're pickpockets (it's all a scam - ignore them and walk away).

Prague - watch out for pickpockets when you look up at the astronomical clock at 11 am.

Actually, what cities are you visiting?
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby greggerypeccary » 11 Jan 2019, 12:44

Venice - catch the automated people mover over to the main island (it's like a driver-less train up on a high rail).

Then, catch a boat back to the train station.

You get to see more that way.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby greggerypeccary » 11 Jan 2019, 12:51

If you can, go to Slovenia and see Lake Bled (and have some traditional cream cake while you're there).

Lake Bled is one of the most beautiful places I've seen in Europe.

It's not far from the Austrian and Italian borders.

I often have breakfast in Austria, lunch in Italy, and then afternoon tea (and cream cake) in Lake Bled.

Then, back to Austria.

It's a really easy little day trip, and you see three countries in a day.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby Miranda » 11 Jan 2019, 12:56

greggerypeccary wrote:Nice :bgrin You'll love it!

Rome - get to the Colosseum early, and don't forget to go to the Forum across the road (it's included in the Colosseum ticket price).

Paris - watch out for the girls with clipboards asking you to sign a petition - they're pickpockets (it's all a scam - ignore them and walk away).

Prague - watch out for pickpockets when you look up at the astronomical clock at 11 am.

TURKEY
POLLAND
Rome
FRANCE
HOLLAND
GERMANY
DRIVING THROUGH THE UK
SWITZERLAND

Rome is not in all caps b/c we only spend a couple of days there b/f flying home.
Nither Marsha or i have been... so very exciting

*exuse typos
Miranda
Jack Russell

Postby greggerypeccary » 11 Jan 2019, 13:13

Miranda wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:Nice :bgrin You'll love it!

TURKEY
POLLAND
Rome
FRANCE
HOLLAND
GERMANY
DRIVING THROUGH THE UK
SWITZERLAND

Rome is not in all caps b/c we only spend a couple of days there b/f flying home.
Nither Marsha or i have been... so very exciting

*exuse typos

Nice. You'll really love it.

I love Poland - great food, great beer, friendly people, everything is pretty cheap. Auschwitz is quite an experience.

Rome - wonderful. Just beware of the street vendors selling flowers and scarves etc.

Paris - love it (just avoid the girls with clipboards).

Germany - try to do a Rhine cruise if you can. There's a stretch of about 30km (near the black forest, I think) where you see 30 castles. You can do it from Frankfurt.

UK - Bath is a nice place to visit. You can do a drive to Bath, and then stop at Stonehenge on the way back.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby greggerypeccary » 11 Jan 2019, 13:24

This is the cruise I did from Frankfurt.

Maybe not the exact same one, but it's similar.

https://www.viator.com/tours/Frankfurt/Rhine-Valley-Trip-from-Frankfurt-including-Rhine-River-Cruise/d489-5326RHINE

Cruising down the Rhine, sipping German wine, looking up at castles which are everywhere.

From memory, it's about a 90 minute drive out of Frankfurt to the boat (the bus ride is included).

So, on the way back everyone has a snooze on the bus :zzzz
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby Sprintcyclist » 11 Jan 2019, 14:44

Miranda wrote:I'm going to Europe in August for 6 weeks. Any advice for my travels would be greatly appreciated.

Keep away from cities.
Sprintcyclist
mountain lion

Postby Bongalong » 11 Jan 2019, 15:22

greggerypeccary wrote:This is the cruise I did from Frankfurt.

https://www.viator.com/tours/Frankfurt/Rhine-Valley-Trip-from-Frankfurt-including-Rhine-River-Cruise/d489-5326RHINE

Cruising down the Rhine, sipping German wine, looking up at castles which are everywhere.

From memory, it's about a 90 minute drive out of Frankfurt to the boat (the bus ride is included).

Lol, f'n Europe the nightclub for old people!

:rofl
Free what?
Bongalong
Cheetah

Postby johnsmith » 11 Jan 2019, 15:42

Miranda wrote:Rome is not in all caps b/c we only spend a couple of days there b/f flying home.

Look out for pickpockets near central station. Especially the kids.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Miranda » 11 Jan 2019, 16:16

Looked at the cruise along the Rhine and will do my best to sell the idea to Marsha... Thanks Greg. :beer
Miranda
Jack Russell

Postby greggerypeccary » 11 Jan 2019, 16:23

johnsmith wrote:
Miranda wrote:Rome is not in all caps b/c we only spend a couple of days there b/f flying home.

Yes.

There's no need to be overly anxious about the con artists and pickpockets.

You don't want to ruin your holiday by constantly worrying.

But you do need to be vigilant.

Most people in Rome are fantastic, and you'll have a great time.

My advice would be to avoid the flower sellers (especially on the Spanish Steps), the gladiators who offer to take your photo with them, women selling scarves, and anyone who approaches you on the street with some sort of offer.

They're not dangerous, but they just want to con you most of the time.

Oh yeah, the ones playing the 3 shell game on the footpath - give them a wide berth - all a massive con.

Overall though, it's a great place and you'll have a ball. Just be a little more vigilante than usual and you'll be fine.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby Miranda » 11 Jan 2019, 16:25

johnsmith wrote:

Thanks. I'm a seasoned traveller... it's only Europe that i'm yet to see...and North America
Miranda
Jack Russell

Postby johnsmith » 11 Jan 2019, 16:29

greggerypeccary wrote:There's no need to be overly anxious about the con artists and pickpockets.

Oh, I agree. Be aware, but not concerned.

The first time I went to Rome, I had my mum with me and my now wife. Mum had been many times prior. For my wife and I, it was our first time in the city.

As we were walking along the front of Central station my mum, convinced that I was the naive Aussie who was an easy mark, kept telling me to keep an eye out for pickpockets, especially the young kids. My reply to her was 'you mean like that kid with his hand in your handbag'?

She was so busy telling me to look out, she had no idea he was even there. :rofl :rofl
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby greggerypeccary » 11 Jan 2019, 16:30

Miranda wrote:

Looked at the cruise along the Rhine and will do my best to sell the idea to Marsha... Thanks Greg. :beer

There are a few companies that do the cruises.

I had a free day in Frankfurt, and I just walked into the city and booked the trip.

We took off in a small bus at around 9 in the morning, and then arrived at the boat around 10:30 or 11 am (from memory).

We then cruised up the Rhine, drinking wine and looking at all the castles - no kidding, 30 castles in a 30 km stretch of river - and then stopped at a winery to do some wine tasting.

Had lunch there, then got back on the boat to complete the cruise.

Then, back on the bus in the afternoon for a drive back to Frankfurt.

If you like rivers, wine, and castles it's worth a look.

Frankfurt has a little river cruise, if you just want to stay in the city.

Nice little city - the airport is fricken enormous!

The hop-on hop-off buses are good too.

Most cities have them.

It's a good way of having a good look at a place if you have limited time.

https://www.hop-on-hop-off-bus.com/frankfurt/frankfurt-city-hop-on-hop-off_20175

https://www.hop-on-hop-off-bus.com/rome-bus-tours
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Jan 2019, 16:32

Holland—would the tulips be in bloom? Visit Delft (between The Hague and Rotterdam) and the Porceleine Fles, buy some real Delft blue pottery. Try a rollmops. Visit Berlin I reckon.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby greggerypeccary » 11 Jan 2019, 16:38

johnsmith wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:There's no need to be overly anxious about the con artists and pickpockets.

Oh, I agree. Be aware, but not concerned.

The first time I went to Rome, I had my mum with me and my now wife. Mum had been many times prior. For my wife and I, it was our first time in the city.

As we were walking along the front of Central station my mum, convinced that I was the naive Aussie who was an easy mark, kept telling me to keep an eye out for pickpockets, especially the young kids. My reply to her was 'you mean like that kid with his hand in your handbag'?

She was so busy telling me to look out, she had no idea he was even there. :rofl :rofl

The worst place I've encountered for pickpockets is Sarajevo.

Tiny little kids come up to you with drawings they've done and shove them in your face.

While you're looking at the drawings they're going through your pockets.

They look very dirty and poor, and they usually have 3-legged dogs running around with them.

The second worse place was on top of Genting mountain in KL.

There's an amusement park up there.

I was fully aware of the dangers of pick-pocketing there, and I was fully prepared.

Well, they emptied my back pockets in 2 seconds flat, and I didn't feel a thing.

Number 3 is the clock in Prague.

When you look up to see the clock do its thing at 11 am (hands raised, holding your camera) the pickpockets casually walk in front of you and empty your pockets.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby greggerypeccary » 11 Jan 2019, 16:40

HBS Guy wrote:Holland—would the tulips be in bloom? Visit Delft (between The Hague and Rotterdam) and the Porceleine Fles, buy some real Delft blue pottery. Try a rollmops. Visit Berlin I reckon.

Yeah.

I liked Berlin.

Some interesting stuff there.

Well worth a visit.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby Miranda » 11 Jan 2019, 18:47

HBS Guy wrote:Holland—would the tulips be in bloom? Visit Delft (between The Hague and Rotterdam) and the Porceleine Fles, buy some real Delft blue pottery. Try a rollmops. Visit Berlin I reckon.

My daughter, who not going, and Marsha are of Dutch heritage so I'll be buying some Delft blue to add to her collection. Good to know that the tulips will in bloom... and rollmops are absolutely disgusting...sorry Monk.
Miranda
Jack Russell

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Jan 2019, 18:51

Ahahahaha no Dutch genes in Miranda!

I have a jar of them in the fridge: hot day, reluctance to cook, pumpernickle, rollmops and dill gherkin, feast for a king!

Broodjes met worst en kaas nice for breakfast! An uitsmeiter for lunch!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Miranda » 11 Jan 2019, 19:17

HBS Guy wrote:Ahahahaha no Dutch genes in Miranda!

I have a jar of them in the fridge: hot day, reluctance to cook, pumpernickle, rollmops and dill gherkin, feast for a king!

Broodjes met worst en kaas nice for breakfast! An uitsmeiter for lunch!

I do like ham and eggs with Gouda on that bread roll you mentioned... and I quite like Dutch sausage... Oh and I quite often get Dutch fruit bread... but that's about it... cant stand Dutch liquorice.
Miranda
Jack Russell

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Jan 2019, 21:28

You have to be born Dutch to like zoute drop! :jump :jump :jump :jump
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lols » 11 Jan 2019, 22:30

The gypsies in Rome, they are rife! And I was almost pick pocketed at night walking home from a restaurant. Carry very little precious stuff with you, have all your ID, passport, credit cards, etc photo copied for quick reference if anything should happen.

In Rome, I also noticed, if you buy food and drink and eat standing up, it's cheaper, if you sit down, it's 3 times the price.

If you are young, don't fall for the shonky sleezy waitor asking if you want to go to a 'party'....just remember that movie "Taken".

This is what happened to my daughter almost, she was 17, and they asked her to a party in broken English, I refused it and told them what I thought in Italian.

In Paris, 5 years later, my daughter was in some old church looking around, and some dweeb came up and said "I take a photo of you for you" and he followed her everywhere (he was scouting for young females to be 'taken').
She did not like the feeling, and stayed for a very long time until he left. Then she looked outside, if no cars or males anywhere, she ran like the clappers back to her motel.

So, having said that, I do not like Rome much at all. Hated it.

And them gladiators outside the Colloseum.....they want to take your camera to take a photo with their cohorts all dressed up, and then they ask for money before giving back your camera.

Refuse them, unless you are prepared to pay, but they are breaking the law, the cops turn up, and make their presence known, and they slither away into hiding until the cops go.
I did like the Colloseum though, it was fascinating.

But still, have a handbag that is tough and always hold it in front of your body where you can see it at all times.

The gelati in Italy is an amazing flavour, just try it.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby johnsmith » 12 Jan 2019, 17:32

Lols wrote:So, having said that, I do not like Rome much at all. Hated it.

I loved Rome. It's a great city.

Lols wrote:And them gladiators outside the Colloseum.....they want to take your camera to take a photo with their cohorts all dressed up, and then they ask for money before giving back your camera.

you get your photo taken with them in all their gladiator gear in front of the Colosseum for $1Euro ... there's no con there. If you don't want to pay, don't take a photo of them. They're just trying to earn some money and I don't believe it's illegal, although I'm no expert on Italian law. They don't charge of the photo of you, it's for the photo with them. Or at least that was my experience.
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby greggerypeccary » 12 Jan 2019, 17:56

johnsmith wrote:
Lols wrote:So, having said that, I do not like Rome much at all. Hated it.

I loved Rome. It's a great city.

Lols wrote:And them gladiators outside the Colloseum.....they want to take your camera to take a photo with their cohorts all dressed up, and then they ask for money before giving back your camera.

you get your photo taken with them in all their gladiator gear in front of the Colosseum for $1Euro ... there's no con there. If you don't want to pay, don't take a photo of them. They're just trying to earn some money and I don't believe it's illegal, although I'm no expert on Italian law. They don't charge of the photo of you, it's for the photo with them. Or at least that was my experience.

Some of the Gladiators are very dodgy.

I've seen them not give cameras back if they don't get enough money.

And the flower sellers at the Spanish Steps are sleazy pricks.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Next

Return to Off Topic