Gardening

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Gardening

Postby johnsmith » 01 Dec 2019, 17:15

I'd use the poly over glass. Safer and will last longer. It'll get just as hot as glass.

It will go ugly though, even if it is UV protected. My skylight is UV protected poly, and it looks like shit. Good for me that I can't really see the poly unless i climb up on the roof. :bgrin
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Dec 2019, 18:01

As long as light gets through and heat stays inside.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Dec 2019, 18:55

Hmmmm chickens are carnivorous but in winter no worms etc.

To 13 chickens—1 tin of sardines. Bit of calcium too.

Dry kibble for puppies, small pieces, chooks will eat that.

Light in the run/coop—stops chickens realising it is winter.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Dec 2019, 18:57

There is a hilarious YouTube out there: cat pacing a mouse, not sure what to do, then in comes a chicken. . .

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 03 Dec 2019, 21:13

HBS Guy wrote:Hmmmm chickens are carnivorous but in winter no worms etc.

To 13 chickens—1 tin of sardines. Bit of calcium too.

Dry kibble for puppies, small pieces, chooks will eat that.

Light in the run/coop—stops chickens realising it is winter.

why dog kibble? why not buy chicken feed and give them that instead? Surely it's cheaper than dog food
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Dec 2019, 22:58

They need animal protein, not available in winter is why.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Dec 2019, 14:53

Having decided to rearrange the “orchard” to accommodate 3 rows of 6 trees of cider apples I have to have 4 posts placed in what was Row 6 at one stage and is again leaving 4 posts pretty useless—but no, aha! Four more posts—I can net the whole fucking orchard, vines, apples, pears! Once something is actually done changing your mind is $$$. This is, oh I dunno, 4 x $15 for the posts, 1/3 rental of auger and 1/3 of labor something between $125–200 wasted. Except not wasted—netting! Phew!

Leaves just a narrow 5m wide strip of backyard. Oh dear! Lawn? Nah, didn’t want lawn anyway pffft!

Do something with shrubs, roses growing over rose bows, couple more peach trees, natives (not the type that bursts into flame) etc with a winding footpath (gravel) sort of, errrrr winding along the plantation, nice bit of statuary (no longer at end of the big pergola) here and I want a couple garden gnomes there. I know they are kitchy but I would love a male gnome smoking a pipe or fag with a nervous glance. . .to where Mrs Gnome, rolling pin in hand, is tracking down Mr Gnome: anybody who has succumbed to then quit the foul tobacco habit will understand this, to anyone else it is a little humorous domestic drama.

Will design what I want in terms of heights/colors/flowers later, maximising the appeal to walk the path strongest when sitting in the gazebo, another for when sitting under the big pergola on a lovely warm day (I think Tassie has 2 of those a year? :roll :bgrin . Beds of perennials, some stepover apple trees etc and on the far boundary the apple tunnel. Be good.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Dec 2019, 14:56

Side yard for veges and vines and raspberries and blueberries in the front yard.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Dec 2019, 05:55

Hmmm been thinking about trees to buy and selected Golden Harvey, 3 trees. A great eating (desert) apple, even more important makes a great strong sweet cider! That’ll do me!

Filling in the data sheets I noticed one thing: Granny Smith is a great pollinator. Group 3 so can pollinate groups 2,3 and 4. Since it is not fussy about chill hours (it first grew in the Sydney suburb of Ryde after all!) Pick a granny in March—nice acid cooker, pick it in June—well-flavored eating apple. Stores well too. French Crab is thought to be one parent

Once in the house and collecting fruit I am going to tree growing some trees from seed, see if I can find a nice one—you may see the Jovial Monk Pippin in the shops. Wouldn’t bet on it tho.

If a tree ripens at a certain time—usually a 2 week period—it doesn’t ALL the flowers open in that 2 weeks. Some will be early, some will be late so a pollination group 3 tree can pollinate group 2 & 3 apples. A crab apple flowers for a very long time so can pollinate practically any apple tree. Must be a white-blooming crab tho.

Gotta love some of the names apples etc were given black in the day. “Bloody Ploughman” is one—a Scottish apple with red stained flesh. Since I collect Worcester porcelain maybe I should get a Worcester Pearmain?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Dec 2019, 08:56

Cox Orange Pippin is the best eating apple. What is a pippin? A promising apple tree found in the wild, cultivated and adopted as good.

Peasgood Nonsuch, Hubbardston Nonsuch, hmmm. Nonsuch is not the same as “none such” it means the apple is beyond peer, no apple coming close in taste and texture.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Dec 2019, 17:56

Vines—21m along back fence
15m down northern boundary, trellis a bit high so fence doesn’t shad the vine
2-3 m down the southern fence—maybe more, need to get my sun readings!
18m in between the cider apples and perry pears

Side and front yards—will see.

Shiraz with 5-10% Malbec.

More along the pergolas—muscat, try making a liqueur muscat!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Dec 2019, 18:05

56m of vines, 1.5m spacing (crappier the soil closer the vines can be.

Equals 56/1.5 = 37 vines plus whatever on pergolas front and side yards. 32 Shiraz, 5 Malbec. Maybe some grenache?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 07 Dec 2019, 19:05

HBS Guy wrote:56m of vines, 1.5m spacing (crappier the soil closer the vines can be.

Equals 56/1.5 = 37 vines plus whatever on pergolas front and side yards. 32 Shiraz, 5 Malbec. Maybe some grenache?

what kind of harvest can you expect from that amount monk ? seams you will be drinking lots of wine to enjoy your harvest :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Dec 2019, 19:43

Probably 20L finished product. Depends on side and front yards etc. Maybe instead of apple tunnel 3 rows vines?

Would like to try the making liqueur muscat!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Dec 2019, 22:33

I DO like wine made from this grape—and it loves a cool climate!

https://www.wineaustralia.com/sauvignon-blanc

That and muscat, grow them on the pergolas.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Dec 2019, 13:47

OK, got my 3 rows of 6 trees and don’t have to move any posts

From each set of 3 trees (1 sharp, 1 sweet, 3 bittersweet, 1 aromatics/pollinators) I can get 90-100 litres of juice, 80-90L finished cider.

Won’t be quite that much, maybe half the aromatics end up in the cider, some of the juice will get bottled as juice.

Even half of 90-100L juice is fine, 5 x 50L = 250L, 5 litres a week :beer :beer :beer :beer :beer :rofl :rofl :rofl hic!

Some to drink quickly, some to seriously cellar and bottle age.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Dec 2019, 14:46

Had set aside space beside the kitchen for a indoor herb garden, can go in the greenhouse!

Need a laboratory: bench with fireproof lacquer, good light, extractor fan.

Need it to measure free nitrogen (grapes) and titratable acidity and pH. Also—refractometer to measure sugar level in apples and grapes.

Free nitrogen—a Ramsay set (lab glassware,) retort stands, burette and bunsen burner.

Heh—make a Van der Waals static electricity generator, apply it to door knob of lab door—keep it safe! zzzt!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Dec 2019, 17:18

Merlot can be table or wine grape—plant on pergola etc, means can plant a few more shiraz!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Previous

Return to Off Topic