Gardening

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: DonDeeHippy

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Re: Gardening

Post by Lefty »

That's your "golden-syrup glazed" vase? :bgrin I really like crepe myrtles, such a brilliant floral diplay.

Storm was a fizzer. Don't mind the fact that we got no damaging winds, bit more rain would have been helpful. It did rain a little bit, front steps are wet. Severe storm warning has been cancelled but there's the possibility of the same this afternoon.

Fuck I hate this weather, the sun's only just up (if I could see it through the clouds that is) but already trying to breathe the air is like drowning in a hot bath :hot :hot :hot I like the fact that the landscape is continuously emerald-green - orchids, bromeliads, gingers and other tropical plants thrive and go nuts - but it's a bit stressful for humans. Maximum of 34 most days this week - but that's accompanied by constant humidity of at least 90%.

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

Max of 34 no problem in Adelaide of course, nearly zero humidity.

Doesn’t seem the el Nino has reduced precipitation much?

Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Post by Lefty »

Been pretty well below average here but some other parts of QLD have had plenty. Huge storm just out the back, looks like it will just miss raining on us, just like yesterday.

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

Bummer, rain in summer is gold. We are going to get more rain, have had nearly 20mm in the last 2-3 days. Pretty good for down here!

Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Post by Lefty »

Well we got the one last night, looks like about 40mm in the gauge :jump Still hanging around now. Just started drizzling actually.

Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Post by Lefty »

Getting heavier now.

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

Nice!

Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Post by Lefty »

Just emptied a good 50mm out of the gauge :jump

Just put away a couple of white rum, lime and soda - the limes were a bit dry the other day from the dry conditions but they are absorbing water now and are getting jucier :yellow

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

Well, I had a bottle, well my share of that bottle, of 2002 No1 Shiraz from Saltrams.

Had trouble getting the cork out, it came out in 3 parts with the fourth stuck way down the neck, bugger! So I pushed it down then decanted the bottle into my claret decanter. Let it breath for an hour, had a couple glasses.

My god, superb. Rich aroma, big, smooth full body, plenty of alcohol. Bloody nice, worth the money and the careful aging. Just as well I decided to open it, considering how wet and fragile the cork was! The wine had even thrown a bit of a crust. Not many Australian wines throw a crust or improve for 14 years!

Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Post by Lefty »

Damn, 14 years - that's a well-aged drop! :jump What causes the crust - mineralization?

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

I am not 100% sure to be honest. Think it is tartaric acid (the grape acid) interacting with tannins etc and dropping them out, smoothing the wine. Most Australian wines are filtered too much, no crust but less flavor and cellaring potential.

Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Post by Lefty »

More rain overnight, overcast atm. Monsoon was late arriving but it's here now - every day mostly overcast with air thick and sulty :hot Orchids, bromeliads, gingers and other tropical plants thrive in these conditions - humans, not so much.

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

Yeah, I bet!

Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Post by Lefty »

Endless calls at work for me to fix leaking aircons (like I'm a fridge mechanic :roll ), it's nearly always that the air is so humid that every part of the machine that the cold, dry air touches gets water condensing on it and it drips everywhere outside the drip tray.,

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

Yup, can’t do much about it, can you? Empty drip trays, wipe the bits dry is about it.

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

Bought a few seedlings yesterday, including a hab and a Tommy Toe cherry tomato.

Will put them in the front, same sort of area as the lime and the crepe myrtle—and on same irrigation hose.

Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Post by Lefty »

Cherry toms would be about the only kind growable here at this time of year, fruit fly would ravage any of the softer-skinned types.

I can see blue sky through the window this morning. Weather dude says today will be absolutely shit-awful, high temps combined with oppressive humididty - and I'm gonna be out in it all day :grn Rest of the week forecast to be unpleasant until a cool change comes through about Friday which is only supposed to reach 29, though I guess that will feel like about 35 with the humidity.

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

Wow, awful weather to have to work outside in!

Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Post by Lefty »

Fuckin' oath - I'm home right now, called in sick this morning. Felt tired and lethargic when I got home yesterday arvo, slight headache. Drank heaps of water all day but when you are forced to wear the thickest, hottest clothing in the sun for about 9 hours straight in these conditions you can overheat regardless. Flaked out pretty early last night, woke up at 3:30 this morning with a RAGING headache. Definate bit of heatstroke there yesterday. Even smooth codeine didn't help that much. Headache finally subsided, just faintly there now. Feel better but drained, might go back to bed.

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

Good idea.

What a fuckarow! You might just have to split the work between full sun and inside/in the shade.

I have seen dogs wearing ice vests at trials when it was hot, dog jacket with tubes filled with icy water, put them on the dog to cool down, then put the vest in an esky when the dog had to go in the ring, etc. Hot water bottle full of ice and icy water in the small of your back might help?

Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Post by Lefty »

I had considered inventing a "cool suit" something along those lines. Was actually for digging in the heat but yeah, that would be the go. Had one of those scarves filled with water crystals but since they work by evaporative cooling, they don't do that much in the humidity.

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

Be great in Adelaide. . .useless in Qld.

Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Post by Lefty »

Useless here on the coast at least - they work great inland, like out at Rubyvale. Must look into one of these ice vests - I'm sure nobody will mind if I keep a sweat-soaked vest in the communal staff room freezer :bgrin

Man it absolutely pissed down here last night - looks like about 80mm in the gauge :jump A cool change is almost here, warm but not as hot today then a max of 29 tomorrow and for the next few days. Will still be very humid but humid and under 30 is bearable.

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

An ex–Tropical Cyclone visited SA from WA. Nullabor got over 60mm! Flooding in Goolwa and some arterial roads into Adelaide were down to 1 lane each way due water on the road.

Local council here wisely sent the street sweeper truck to clean gutters etc. We had 15mm so nice bit of rain but no probs.

Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Post by Lefty »

A co-worker used to work at Woomera. She said about a month after they moved it, it bucked down with over 100mm. After that they did not see another drop of moisture fall from the sky for the rest of the time they were there, which was several years!

Maximum of 28 today and the next few days - NICE! Feels so much better out there on the veranda, still humid but som much more bearable :jump Supposed to be the possibility of flooding, not raining atm though.