Gardening

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Gardening

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Feb 2016, 07:09

The drier it is the less reliable the rainfall—droughts then a deluge. Would be why old Gilgamesh got flooded and swept down the Tigris or Euphrates into the Persian Gulf—Iraq/Mesopotamia is mostly desert.

The legend of Gilgamesh was pinched by the Palestinians of old to become Noah. :roll :bgrin
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 06 Feb 2016, 06:26

That was a pretty cool book - The Epic of Gilgamesh. He was such a nice, humble bloke, not filled with monumental self-importance and an ego bigger than Noah's ark or anything like that :bgrin

Well the Biblical deluge failed to eventuate yesterday, just a bit of light rain and drizzle. Not that I'm worried, there has been a couple of hundred mm over the past few weeks. Still super-humid but these temps are much nicer, max of 28 yesterday and the same today and tomorrow :jump
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 06 Feb 2016, 11:01

It has been lovely here too for the last 10 days or so.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 07 Feb 2016, 07:34

Still only drizzle but nice temps as long as you aren't doing manual labour. Even then, you still sweat heaps because of the humidity but you don't get boiled to death.

Well it didn't take long for the limes to respond. They were dry and near-juiceless from not enough water, a couple of weeks into the wet and you could just about poke a straw into them and drink from them :jump The books say that citrus fruit set during a dry spell don't ever become juicy even with plenty of water afterward but I haven't found that to be the case. It can take some time though, but this time it didn't take long at all.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Feb 2016, 07:41

Guess it depends on soil type and water holding ability?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 08 Feb 2016, 06:10

Yeah, could be. Maybe because there's nearly always new fruit coming on with a lime tree that it can be hard to be sure. Got plenty out of the one I squeezed over a curry yesterday anyway.

Partly cloudy, windy. Good, strong breeze means it shouldn't get too hot. Ocean wind warning current for coastal areas here. No cyclone but there is a low out there.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Feb 2016, 17:02

This morning—white feathers everywhere.

Must have had a fox come in. Not Demi, would have seen the body of the chook. Bastard took my fave and reliable egg producer Dolly.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 09 Feb 2016, 05:47

HBS Guy wrote:This morning—white feathers everywhere.

Must have had a fox come in. Not Demi, would have seen the body of the chook. Bastard took my fave and reliable egg producer Dolly.

Barstard!! The chook run not fox-proof?
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Feb 2016, 05:53

I guess not!

Will rethink the siting of coop and run etc. Don’t want to give up beautiful fresh eggs. Never ever had eggs as good as those from my own chooks!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 11 Feb 2016, 05:48

Yep, cant' beat em! I remember that foxes or dogs did manage to get in the coop from time to time. Foxes are stereotypically sly - well that stereotype is spot on! If there's any weak spot in hen houses defences, they'll find it. We had a really big chook run, most of it was open-topped with a seven foot high mesh fence around it but the shelter, roost and laying boxes were all completely meshed in so nothing could get in. Just had to walk down just before dark and shut the door to the open section after they had all hopped up in the perches.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Feb 2016, 05:59

Yup. I have an idea where the coop could go and that small run, totally enclosed except on the bottom could give the girls a little bit of room to move until I open the gate to the big run.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 13 Feb 2016, 07:02

A weak cyclone is out there but not expected to impact on the QLD coast. Nice temps for the weekend, then phukking scorching next week early :grn As long as the humidity is not too high it will be sufferable.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Feb 2016, 12:14

Bugger that cyclone, what’s it think it’s doing?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 14 Feb 2016, 06:09

Cyclones notoriously unpredictable in their movements. Pissed down about 5 yesterday arvo, thunderstorm came out of nowhere. Was full on but brief so probably would have not gotten more than about 10mm out of it.

Went to mow the yard, to discover rats had been inside the ride-on mower and chewed out the electricals. Mowed a portion of the yard with a whipper-snipper - slow work!
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Feb 2016, 06:28

That dirty rat!

I dunno what it is with rats and electrical plastic but they sure love chewing through it!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 16 Feb 2016, 05:21

Yeah, they really have a thing about electricals don't they! :b

A hot day forecast. 36 but that's at the weather station on top of Radar hill in the sea breeze - be a few degrees warmer down in the lower parts of Gladstone. Humidity not quite as bad as the other week - sky clear atm - so it won't be quite as awful. Still be draining, there's only so much water you can drink and while can stop yourself from becoming dehydrated, you can't stop yourself from overheating quite so easily. Gotta get that "cool suit" made up, keep my sweaty, stinky cool vest in the communal freezer in the staffroom :jump
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby Lefty » 16 Feb 2016, 05:38

These look interesting. Not cheap but heatstoke is not nice either. These would be great for fossicking as well. Plenty of times here where the scorching heat is actually not accompanied by rain and it would be a great, fine dry day to go prospecting - except for dying from heatstroke. Take a big esky with a few of these in it it and you could go all day :jump I see they even make them for dogs.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Feb 2016, 07:08

Exactly what we were talking about!

Yeah, do some digging for half an hour, stop and don such a vest and have a drink of water for 15 minutes, etc.

Could do the same thing at work!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 18 Feb 2016, 05:50

Yeah, will look into that. Dad could get himself one, might help keep him alive whenever we go digging outside of winter :jump
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 18 Feb 2016, 05:54

Can you see padding for bums anywhere. . .?

:jump
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 18 Feb 2016, 06:01

I'm looking into a full body suit of chilled armour for him :bgrin

Ok, better get to work. Catch you later :jump
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 18 Feb 2016, 06:03

Cheers.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 19 Feb 2016, 05:36

An inside day at work today - machine blew a hydraulic hose yesterday. Everything was going fine then suddenly, I couldn't steer except with huge effort. Looked down and saw about a seven foot long fountain of hydraulic fluid spraying from the side of the machine. Just made it back to the shed before losing mobility altogether.

Gotta get it on the back of a tilt-tray tow truck this morning. The diesel fitters have a trailer but it's tied up at the moment so they are engaging someone else to take it to their shop. The bloke they are hiring, we have used him before, for the sole reason that there is nobody else who had what we desperately needed. Fuckin' boofhead he is, abused me when I rang him, abused my boss. He looks like Dr Zaiuss from Planet of the Apes - but without the charm or scientific mind. Imagine this in fluro work gear....

I'll be putting up with this clown within an hour or so. If the machine could still be steered and didn't need winching I'd put it on a trailer myself instead.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Feb 2016, 07:37

Sounds a right charmer!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 20 Feb 2016, 06:16

A complete tosser! Was talking to the young mechanic who came out to try and fix it and put it on the truck. I said that Dowie the Yowie should be here soon, he said "actually, I'm really hoping it's somebody else". Seems like nobody can wear the prick. Apparently he's the president of the local 4WD club and he gets on Facebook and abuses his own members, calling them a bunch of fuckheads etc. I asked why they would put up with that, it seems he pumps a lot of money into the club. Probably so he can make it his personal property more or less.

Anyway, the prick didn't turn up, it was one of his employees instead, who was nice enough. I can only imagine what the poor barstard must have to go through working for that clown.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic