Gardening

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Gardening

Postby Sprintcyclist » 04 Apr 2019, 07:04

johnsmith wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:No idea about subtropical.

you have a few weeks to look into it. I'm not in a rush :rofl

Very considerate of you
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Apr 2019, 09:22

John has a bare garden to look forward to. Probably suit the bugger tho: no work for him to do.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 04 Apr 2019, 18:14

Sprintcyclist wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:No idea about subtropical.

you have a few weeks to look into it. I'm not in a rush :rofl

Very considerate of you

i thought so :rofl :rofl
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby johnsmith » 04 Apr 2019, 18:15

HBS Guy wrote:John has a bare garden to look forward to. Probably suit the bugger tho: no work for him to do.

i can live with that until spring :roll
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Apr 2019, 19:00

And in spring come the weeds. I suppose you can eat some, know what a dandelion looks like, John?

Nettles make nettle tea, soup etc. Just pay for it in stings.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 04 Apr 2019, 19:33

HBS Guy wrote:And in spring come the weeds. I suppose you can eat some, know what a dandelion looks like, John?

Nettles make nettle tea, soup etc. Just pay for it in stings.

i have a 20 litre drum of roundup for weeds :thumb
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Apr 2019, 17:19

Just subscribed to a newsletter for another fruit tree nursery. More sources the better I like it!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 05 Apr 2019, 17:22

HBS Guy wrote:Just subscribed to a newsletter for another fruit tree nursery. More sources the better I like it!

great, but I don't really have room for fruit trees just yet (have to get rid of some palms first) ... lets just stick to my vege's for now

:jump :jump :jump
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Aussie » 05 Apr 2019, 17:59

johnsmith wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Just subscribed to a newsletter for another fruit tree nursery. More sources the better I like it!

great, but I don't really have room for fruit trees just yet (have to get rid of some palms first) ... lets just stick to my vege's for now

Bloody palm trees. Pricks of dirty bastards dropping crap. Far kem off! I hated having them when we had the Beach property. Bane of my life there.
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Apr 2019, 18:00

Subtropical? Closed book to me!

Apples, pears, cherries—now you’re talking! Oh, and raspberries, blueberries and red and black currants of course. Mangoes, pshaw!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 05 Apr 2019, 20:07

Aussie wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

Bloody palm trees. Pricks of dirty bastards dropping crap. Far kem off! I hated having them when we had the Beach property. Bane of my life there.

hate the damn things. But wifey dearest likes them. I told her she can keep them if she cleans up after them. She agreed. We've been in this house a little over 6 months now, to date she hasn't picked up a single frond.

One day when she comes home one and finds the palms on the ground with my chainsaw near them, she'll dare to whinge. Well I'm not having it.
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Aussie » 05 Apr 2019, 20:35

Maybe keep the chainsaw at hand to fend her off?
Aussie

Postby johnsmith » 06 Apr 2019, 17:50

Aussie wrote:Maybe keep the chainsaw at hand to fend her off?

nah, i can outrun her. :yahoo
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Aussie » 06 Apr 2019, 18:13

johnsmith wrote:

And leave her with the chainsaw!!!!

:b
Aussie

Postby johnsmith » 06 Apr 2019, 18:18

Aussie wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

it's a ripcord starter, with an overly sensitive choke .... I could crawl to Melbourne before she got it going.
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Sprintcyclist » 06 Apr 2019, 20:02

Our Forest has a leaner table in it now
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 06 Apr 2019, 21:09

I've been concentrating on putting in Natives to help block out my newish neighbours,

and cultivating Thai Coriander, or Perennial or Sawtooth Coriander, depending on how you know it.

It is so yummy, and I got lucky finding one little pot of it for sale.. It is lovely stuff
and seems to keep on giving.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 06 Apr 2019, 21:15

Aussie wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

I'd be happy to recommend an ALDI battery-powered (small) chainsaw ... it is a little beauty, AND, instead of pulling your arm off getting it going, you just need to push a button and press a switch. It is quiet and does the jobs I usually need.
I've had it for a while now, and although it can cut through fallen trees or branches, and trim others,, it helps to have some experience. And know how to sharpen the chain.

:bgrin
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 06 Apr 2019, 21:18

Aussie wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

:bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin

And don't you see them every where. They are awful, except for show, :roll , and don't do our wild life any favours either. They spread, and I'm going to have to go into my wild bit to get out self-sown Palms and friggin Asparagus Fern. Jeez :roll
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 06 Apr 2019, 21:27

Good to hear you made your move away from the Beach JS... NOT a good environment there for young family. .

I can pretty well imagine where you are, roughly... really roughly...

KILL those PALMS.

If you have any decent sized land, look to assistance from your local Council under the Land For Wildlife scheme, which is very good and very focussed on achieving a return of local flora and fauna, even on badly degraded land.

But it is the individual owner that needs to be interested. If you have less than a hectare or so, you can still be assisted to plant local plants, with the aim of removing things like PALMS.. and putting in NATIVES , and improve the chances of local flora and fauna. Help to remove invasive species.
Costs you nothing but the effort... you get supplied with plants advice etc.. all you need to do is get in to it. :thumb
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 06 Apr 2019, 21:30

sigh
I'm whimsical and this talk of flora and fauna
and needing to get into it

BEFORE you GET OUT OF IT...

Yep reminds me of some FRANK ZAPPA. :bgrin
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Sprintcyclist » 06 Apr 2019, 22:04

pinkeye wrote:I've been concentrating on putting in Natives to help block out my newish neighbours,

and cultivating Thai Coriander, or Perennial or Sawtooth Coriander, depending on how you know it.

It is so yummy, and I got lucky finding one little pot of it for sale.. It is lovely stuff
and seems to keep on giving.

Good on you

We only plant butterfly or bee attracting plants

Imagine if more backyard gardeners did that ?
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 06 Apr 2019, 23:43

Indeed.

You may find you have what it takes to help your wee part of the world.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Apr 2019, 05:57

While I am planting imported fruit trees/bushes I will also plant native Tasmanian berries and a hedge of grevilleas in front of the orchard. Will plant native decorative species in the flower garden. Dunno whether quandong trees would grow in Tasmania? Had two in my backyard but they quickly grew too high to prune/spray/pick.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 07 Apr 2019, 09:50

pinkeye wrote:Good to hear you made your move away from the Beach JS... NOT a good environment there for young family. .

I can pretty well imagine where you are, roughly... really roughly...

KILL those PALMS.

If you have any decent sized land, look to assistance from your local Council under the Land For Wildlife scheme, which is very good and very focussed on achieving a return of local flora and fauna, even on badly degraded land.

But it is the individual owner that needs to be interested. If you have less than a hectare or so, you can still be assisted to plant local plants, with the aim of removing things like PALMS.. and putting in NATIVES , and improve the chances of local flora and fauna. Help to remove invasive species.
Costs you nothing but the effort... you get supplied with plants advice etc.. all you need to do is get in to it. :thumb

i am exactly 3 minutes drive from my previous address. So still fairly close to the beach, although I wouldn't try walking it.

Don't have an overly large block. Only about 800m2. Most of that is taken up by the house, pool and my two courtyards. Any tree's I plant will be fruit bearing. My theory is that if i have to look after something, i may as well get something back from it.

Besides, the birds love the fruit :grn
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic