What Beer Do You Like?

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: DonDeeHippy

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

Postby Sprintcyclist » 30 Dec 2018, 16:31

SethBullock wrote:
Sprintcyclist wrote:
Sprintcyclist wrote:Amazing, I asked the owner of the local home brew shop

Q 1 . Can I use a 1kg bag of light malt instead of the mix ?

Q 2 What difference will this make to the beer?

he was totally unfazed about using malt instead of a mix !!

I bought a kg of dark malt to use for my next brew

This one is bubbling away contentedly.
Can of Coopers dark ale LME and a kg of dried dark malt, Safale US05 yeast, hydrated, aerated wort with a pump and 'air stone' all kept at 18 degrees

Looking forward to seeing it when it's done. :beer

me too, the last 5 brews have been good.
I put that down to keeping the fermenter at 18 degrees, using a better yeast (SafeAle US 05), hydrating the yeast and aerating the wort.
Also rinsing sanatiser off with cooled boiled water before putting my beer in that container, using the sun to sanatise my bottles.
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Postby Sprintcyclist » 30 Dec 2018, 16:34

Lols wrote:At my mum's wake on Friday, and all the food and wine and beer were served....I had one middle age guy, who knew how hopeless my bro would have been with the arrangements, asked me "And tell me, what did your brother do to help with all of this?" as he waved his arm around for the whole shebang.
I looked, and said with earnest wide eyes, and smiled, saying "He chose 2 beers!"
Now that made him laugh, and he said "Beautifully said, and without any anger".
I didn't like he chose heavy beers, to be perfectly honest, I liked the more lighter modern ones originally on the menu. Oh well, I bit my tongue when he was fussing about the beers, and thought, let him have something to do with some 'arrangement of the funeral/wake' :giggle

Good work Lols.
You made it as less distressing as it could be. There is more than enough angst on the day anyway
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 30 Dec 2018, 16:57

Just tried this, very nice, an Australian beer (sorry Seth:)

Dainton Brewery, Carrum Downs, Vic.

“Sav Brute sparkling IPA”

6.9% abv
27IBU (<== this makes it an ordinary bitter not an IPA!!!)

Fresh tasting, delightful, nice fresh hop flavor.

Aussie could drink this. After the second glass he will eschew the swill called VB forevah
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 31 Dec 2018, 02:43

HBS Guy wrote:Just tried this, very nice, an Australian beer (sorry Seth:)

Dainton Brewery, Carrum Downs, Vic.

“Sav Brute sparkling IPA”

6.9% abv
27IBU (<== this makes it an ordinary bitter not an IPA!!!)

Fresh tasting, delightful, nice fresh hop flavor.

Aussie could drink this. After the second glass he will eschew the swill called VB forevah

And you didn't take a picture of it in your glass? :smack

I found this on the web. Looks delicious!

Dainton.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“I shall pass through this world but once. Any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” - Stephen Grellet
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 31 Dec 2018, 06:26

Yeah, have a pic, and some of the other beers.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 31 Dec 2018, 14:23

SethBullock wrote:And you didn't take a picture of it in your glass?

and disturb the beer drinking process? :WTF
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 31 Dec 2018, 20:09

This was my fave beer out of the craft brews I have tried.

Rusty—brown ale. Dutch, 8%abv.

Black, nice licorice notes. Held a head pretty good—big beers have crap head retention BTW.

More info: https://carwyncellars.com.au/products/de-moersleutel-rusty-brown-ale
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 31 Dec 2018, 20:22

I also tried and liked the Mandarin Berliner Weisse.

Berliner weisse is the most sour beer, sourer than even lambics so tends to be drunk with a sweet syrup, in this case mandarin. Weisse means it is a wheat beer. Definitely tasted the sour but the mandarin took the edge off. Light colored beer with lots of head and good head retention as you expect of a wheat beer (malted wheat or unmalted wheat like Belgian wit.) Means white.

If you would like to try a sour beer I recommend this one. Might taste odd but on a hot day very refreshing. I liked it and will buy it again.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 31 Dec 2018, 20:23

Not a beer but it is New Years Eve so I made oliebollen:
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Jan 2019, 14:39

Drinking a kiwi beer: Nero Dark Project Robust Porter

http://www.debrewing.co.nz

6% abv

This probably would not classify as a “stout porter” in porters heyday, the 18th century—not stout enough, too weak. The alcohol content of beers back then was mindboggling.

The beer is holding its nice light tan head very nicely—I DO like my beer to hold a head. Dark brown in color, appropriate for a porter (which used to be made from 100% brown malt, pale malt being available back then but fantastically expensive and so used mainly by the big landholders, the housekeeper using the copper one day for laundry, the next to make beer. About the time of the novel “Tom Jones” pale malt was becoming more available and brewing became more the domain of the big industrial breweries.

I don’t think this has any brown malt, it is more a pale malt + chocolate malt, the lightest of the black malts, stouts use mainly roast malt which gives them their black color. Brown malt is lighter than chocolate malt

Very nice, will buy it again! Back of mouth full of bitter chocolate flavor.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 01 Jan 2019, 16:34

HBS Guy wrote:Drinking a kiwi beer: Nero Dark Project Robust Porter

http://www.debrewing.co.nz

6% abv

This probably would not classify as a “stout porter” in porters heyday, the 18th century—not stout enough, too weak. The alcohol content of beers back then was mindboggling.

The beer is holding its nice light tan head very nicely—I DO like my beer to hold a head. Dark brown in color, appropriate for a porter (which used to be made from 100% brown malt, pale malt being available back then but fantastically expensive and so used mainly by the big landholders, the householder using the copper one day for laundry, the next to make beer. About the time of the novel “Tom Jones” pale malt was becoming more available and brewing became more the domain of the big industrial breweries.

I don’t think this has any brown malt, it is more a pale malt + chocolate malt, the lightest of the black malts, stouts use mainly roast malt which gives them their black color. Brown malt is lighter than chocolate malt

Very nice, will buy it again! Back of mouth full of bitter chocolate flavor.

Looks good!
“I shall pass through this world but once. Any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” - Stephen Grellet
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby SethBullock » 02 Jan 2019, 11:33

So I'm drinking some Deschutes beers tonight (What a shock, right?) that I've reviewed with you guys before.

I went to the store today, though. Uncharacteristically, there were no gunfights out there. But the good news is that I picked up a stout from Elysian Brewing (Seattle, WA) and a porter from local brewer Golden Valley Brewery. I'll be reviewing these in the days to come.

elysian-brewing-dragonstooth-stout-nj-beer-of-the-weekpng-0ad60a3eaa550d47.png

Golden Valley Dundee Porter.jpeg

Cheers, guys and gals! :beer
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby greggerypeccary » 02 Jan 2019, 11:49

HBS Guy wrote:I also tried and liked the Mandarin Berliner Weisse.

Berliner weisse is the most sour beer, sourer than even lambics so tends to be drunk with a sweet syrup, in this case mandarin. Weisse means it is a wheat beer. Definitely tasted the sour but the mandarin took the edge off. Light colored beer with lots of head and good head retention as you expect of a wheat beer (malted wheat or unmalted wheat like Belgian wit.) Means white.

If you would like to try a sour beer I recommend this one. Might taste odd but on a hot day very refreshing. I liked it and will buy it again.

Agreed!

A very nice beer :beer
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby Sprintcyclist » 02 Jan 2019, 13:07

SethBullock wrote:So I'm drinking some Deschutes beers tonight (What a shock, right?) that I've reviewed with you guys before.

I went to the store today, though. Uncharacteristically, there were no gunfights out there. But the good news is that I picked up a stout from Elysian Brewing (Seattle, WA) and a porter from local brewer Golden Valley Brewery. I'll be reviewing these in the days to come.

elysian-brewing-dragonstooth-stout-nj-beer-of-the-weekpng-0ad60a3eaa550d47.png

Golden Valley Dundee Porter.jpeg

Cheers, guys and gals! :beer

Looks nice
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Jan 2019, 16:03

Drinking a Yank beer, don’t get more yankee than Brooklyn:

Sixpoint brewery, 40 Van Dyke St, Brooklyn

Sweet Action.
5% abv.
40IBU, decently bitter
6SEM—pale, a lovely light amber in color.
Nose and flavor: citrusy hops
Nice clean taste in the back of the mouth.

Nice beer, maybe more malt character be nice? Hard to get a lot of malt flavor in pale beers but a bit of melanoidin malt or some nice light amber malt would boost character and not boost color much.

While it didn’t keep a big head it posted lovely Belgian lace on the side of the glass:

Will buy it again.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 03 Jan 2019, 11:14

Dang, Monk! You've been trying out some interesting beers lately. Wish I could sit around with you and try 'em out with you.

So tonight I went with the Elysian "Dragonstooth" Stout.

Elysian Dragonstooth Stout.JPG

From the bottle ...

"Dragonstooth Imperial Oatmeal Stout is rich, velvety and complex, combining notes of chocolate, oats and citrus."

8.1%

"Artwork by local Seattle tattooer and good friend, Joe Who:
Pierced Hearts Tattoo Parlor"

My evaluation is that it is as advertised - rich and velvety. Roasty tasty. Very good.

:beer
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Jan 2019, 11:50

Oatmeal stouts are godly, smooooove as a baby’s bum.

A challenge for the brewer: oats are just loaded with betaglucans, gums (that is how a bowl of oatmeal a day is supposed to remove cholesterol from your arteries.) A betaglucanase rest is essential for any substantial addition of oats whether as rolled oats or malted oats.

So we do a cereal mash: mash twice as much pale malt as oats to reach a mash temperature of 32°C and leave the mash sit, or rest in brewerspeak, at 32°C for at least 20 minutes. Then a protein rest at 50°C to break down some of the overabundant proteins in the oats. We could then boil, or decoct, the cereal mash and add it to the main mash to raise that to whatever mash temperature we think suitable, usually 68-70°C for my brews since I love plenty of body in my beer (unless not appropriate like the saison I made, fermented bone dry to 1002FG. Heh, saved the yeast cake into two flip top bottles, took those to the shop, made up 2 Saison Packs and gave the yeast as a freeby—really do need Saison yeast for a Saison.)

You get such a velvety smoothness in an oat beer.

There was a Scottish brewer who brewed a stout with 90% oat malt. How they managed to sparge that god knows! Imagine how that would have tasted :OMG
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 03 Jan 2019, 11:58

HBS Guy wrote:Oatmeal stouts are godly, smooooove as a baby’s bum.

A challenge for the brewer: oats are just loaded with betaglucans, gums (that is how a bowl of oatmeal a day is supposed to remove cholesterol from your arteries.) A betaglucanase rest is essential for any substantial addition of oats whether as rolled oats or malted oats.

So we do a cereal mash: mash twice as much pale malt as oats to reach a mash temperature of 32°C and leave the mash sit, or rest in brewerspeak, at 32°C for at least 20 minutes. Then a protein rest at 50°C to break down some of the overabundant proteins in the oats. We could then boil, or decoct, the cereal mash and add it to the main mash to raise that to whatever mash temperature we think suitable, usually 68-70°C for my brews since I love plenty of body in my beer (unless not appropriate like the saison I made, fermented bone dry to 1002FG. Heh, saved the yeast cake into two flip top bottles, took those to the shop, made up 2 Saison Packs and gave the yeast as a freeby—really do need Saison yeast for a Saison.)

There was a Scottish brewer who brewed a stout with 90% oat malt. How they managed to sparge that god knows! Imagine how that would have tasted :OMG

So what you're telling me is that this beer is a health food, right?

SethBullock
Warthog

Postby greggerypeccary » 03 Jan 2019, 12:03

SethBullock wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Oatmeal stouts are godly, smooooove as a baby’s bum.

So what you're telling me is that this beer is a health food, right?

It's officially a food in Poland.

People often have a 2 litre stein for dinner (or lunch).

I've done it myself :beer
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Jan 2019, 13:56

A proper beer is a nourishing drink with protein and B vitamins. In some places it is safer to drink than the water since beer is boiled and has hops and alcohol in it, antibacterial.

The Trappist monks in Belgium used to brew a special heavy beer and that provided their sustenance during Lent. That would make me at least pretty jovial. Hence the name of my home brew shop, Jovial Monk.

From the “Jovial Monk Philosophy” page:

Beer is a great blessing and boon when used in moderation. It can well be argued that nomadic
hunter/gatherers in the Fertile Crescent settled down to guard their cereal crops used to make their primitive
beer, so starting Civilisation. Certainly, just rye and barley grains used for breadmaking alone probably would
not have convinced the nomads to settle down, but boy they loved the buzz they got from beer! Beer was
invented independently in the Fertile Crescent, China, South and Central America and likely many other
places, from barley, oat, rye or rice and millet or maize. All peoples can enjoy the boon of beer.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 04 Jan 2019, 13:56

Well I was going to drink the Golden Valley Porter and talk about that one tonight, but I spotted this in the store today (No, no shootouts or ducking bullets on that trip. I just don't get it! WTF!). Paid $9.99 for a six-pack of 12 oz bottles.

So since I drank the Elysian Dragonstooth Stout last night, I decided to go with the Elysian "Split Shot" Espresso Milk Stout tonight.

"Split Shot combines the local talents of Elysian Brewing and Stumptown Coffee in a deliciously smooth, very Northwest beer."

6%

Roasty toasty and smooth and black colored. Didn't create or keep much of a head. Pleasant to drink. Nice balance with the coffee. Good beer!
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Jan 2019, 15:30

The oils from the coffee probably killed the head.

Yeah, chocolate and coffee combine really well with a stout, since the roasted malts do give chocolate or coffee notes already.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 04 Jan 2019, 16:03

HBS Guy wrote:The oils from the coffee probably killed the head.

Yeah, chocolate and coffee combine really well with a stout, since the roasted malts do give chocolate or coffee notes already.

Yes, I agree. One of the best things about joining PA is just talking about beer. And it has made me broaden my horizons a lot. I was pretty set in my ways, mostly drinking middle of the road ales like Deschutes Mirror Pond. Which is very good, but I have enjoyed learning to appreciate other beers, especially these dark stouts and porters, and man! a chocolatey stout is mighty good!
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby Aussie » 04 Jan 2019, 16:09

Whereas, I've been here for years, and no-one has enticed me off VB.

:bgrin :beer :bgrin
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby johnsmith » 04 Jan 2019, 16:19

Aussie wrote:Whereas, I've been here for years, and no-one has enticed me off VB.

:bgrin :beer :bgrin

that's because you're a stubborn old goat who is afraid of change.

Meanwhile, I'm sticking to Asahi or Sapporo :roll
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic