What Beer Do You Like?

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

Postby SethBullock » 08 Jan 2019, 10:42

HBS Guy wrote:Nitrogen head—a widget with nitrogen is put in bottle or can, when you open it the nitrogen rushes out of solution giving what to me is a fake head on the stout.

Nothing wrong with a Guinness apart from the nitrogen widget and it is low alcohol, 3.5%. 3% in Ireland.

I don't mind a beer being low alcohol as long as it tastes good. I don't drink beer to get drunk. You're the brewing expert, so I'm curious ... Does beer really NEED to have alcohol in it? Most alcohol-free beers I've ever tried are tasteless almost. Typically, beers I look at run from 5-8% alcohol. When brewing a beer are these differences deliberate, or are they just a natural result of the process and ingredients used to get a beer to taste a certain way?
"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty

"There's only one solution: MORE guns!" - greggerypeccary

... "mr know it all" - Bongalong
SethBullock
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Postby SethBullock » 08 Jan 2019, 10:56

Going to the Chehalem Valley Brewing pub tonight with my buddy.

The building was originally built as a small auto service business. Later, it became an auto parts store. It still has the garage doors in the front which they open up when the weather is nice.

Chehalem Valley Brewing (2).png

They make a variety of beers, including a delicious chocolate stout.

Cheers! :beer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby Aussie » 08 Jan 2019, 11:21

SethBullock wrote:Going to the Chehalem Valley Brewing pub tonight with my buddy.

The building was originally built as a small auto service business. Later, it became an auto parts store. It still has the garage doors in the front which they open up when the weather is nice.

Neat.....I'll have this one please.

Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby greggerypeccary » 08 Jan 2019, 11:50

SethBullock wrote:Going to the Chehalem Valley Brewing pub tonight with my buddy.

I had a chocolate stout last year.

Didn't like it that much, really.

A bit too ... um ... chocolaty.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby SethBullock » 08 Jan 2019, 14:40

I went with the patty melt. Burger, toasted rye bread, swiss cheese, carmelized onions, and a little thousand island dressing, plus a house salad and blue cheese dressing. Oh, and the Coffee Stout. My buddy across from me had the Summit Amber.

patty melt.JPG

The appetizer was coconut shrimp with the Chehalem Valley IPA.

coconut shrimp.JPG

Good company, good food, good beers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby greggerypeccary » 08 Jan 2019, 15:13

SethBullock wrote:I went with the patty melt. Burger, toasted rye bread, swiss cheese, carmelized onions, and a little thousand island dressing, plus a house salad and blue cheese dressing. Oh, and the Coffee Stout. My buddy across from me had the Summit Amber.

patty melt.JPG

coconut shrimp.JPG

Mmm, the blue cheese dressing sounds nice.

Blue cheese is one of my favourite foods.

Off topic, for a minute:

I noticed another one of those differences between America and Australia in your post.

You say "carmelized".

We say caramelized.

The first time I heard an American talking about carmel, I thought he meant a woman's name.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Jan 2019, 15:29

Actually we say “caramelised.”

:roll :bgrin
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Jan 2019, 15:35

Too many totally superfluous “u”s in English English and Australian English—a debasement of the English language to make it look a bit more like French. Fuck the French I say! It is harbor, valor, color. The season between summer and winter is fall. Let the feeble French fondle autumn! AngloSaxons demand their word: fall!

Too many “z”s in US English. “s” can do a lot of work. Let “z” start zebras zipping down zig zags I say!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Agness » 08 Jan 2019, 16:00

ok got my Guinness now- putting a nice chill on it now and the other great thing about stout is it is full of nutrition- so it could be a regular thing from now on :bgrin
Agness
Rainbow lorikeet

Postby Aussie » 08 Jan 2019, 16:13

SethBullock wrote:I went with the patty melt. Burger, toasted rye bread, swiss cheese, carmelized onions, and a little thousand island dressing, plus a house salad and blue cheese dressing. Oh, and the Coffee Stout. My buddy across from me had the Summit Amber.

patty melt.JPG

coconut shrimp.JPG

Yeah, I saw those prawns in the menu. Did not go for the cocunut.....just good old crumbed will make Aussie happy....with that sauce which always comes with it.
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby SethBullock » 08 Jan 2019, 22:04

greggerypeccary wrote:

patty melt.JPG

coconut shrimp.JPG

Off topic, for a minute:

I noticed another one of those differences between America and Australia in your post.

You say "carmelized".

We say caramelized.

The first time I heard an American talking about carmel, I thought he meant a woman's name.

I think I just misspelled it.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby greggerypeccary » 08 Jan 2019, 22:22

SethBullock wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:

patty melt.JPG

coconut shrimp.JPG

Off topic, for a minute:

You say "carmelized".

We say caramelized.

I think I just misspelled it.

But that's how Americans pronounce it.

It's funny :bgrin
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Jan 2019, 04:59

Yanks say “aluminum” where we say “aluminium.”
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Jan 2019, 05:03

Agness wrote:ok got my Guinness now- putting a nice chill on it now and the other great thing about stout is it is full of nutrition- so it could be a regular thing from now on :bgrin

That is an old wives tale, Agnes. A stout is no more or less nutritious than any other proper beer, only difference is the grist for a stout has some grains roasted to blackness in it. In the case of Guinness, unmalted barley roasted until it is black.

In the Fertile Crescent they managed to make black beer but in the early 1800s with the wooden kilns with screens supported on wooden supports trying to make black malt would burn down the kiln! A chappy called Daniel Wheeler invented and patented a drum roaster rather like the coffee roaster of today. Allowed brewers to cheat and pretend their porters were really stout (strong) “just look at the color!”

While I don’t mind using black (and chocolate malt, not quite so roasted, brown not black in color) in stouts I think any attempt to recreate a porter like they used to make should eschew the use of malts roasted until they are dark brown or black but that’s just me.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Jan 2019, 07:01

Another bugbear of mine is the use of crystal malt aka caramel malt. Unless truly excellent crystal malt is used (the German Weyermann cara malts say) crystal can put a strong caramel note in a beer, not a nice caramel note, that overpowers other malt and hops.

One use of it I REALLY hate is to put “malt flavor” into an IPA. An IPA really is one beer where the malt–hop balance is irrelevant, the balance is between bitterness and flavor from alpha acids that have changed with time into flavor molecules. An IPA should be really pale, at least if one wants to make something historical and genuine.

Crystal malt is made by taking wet, just-finished-malting malt and putting that in a steel conaitner that is then sealed and heated. The enzymes in the grain get to work turning starch into sugar in the process of which the grain inside the husk becomes liquid (you can’t do this with wheat malt—wheat has no husk!) The liquid is then drained and the heat increased to give the grain more or less color: carapils is the lightest grade of crystal malt not fully converted and so must be mashed, then caravienne, caramunich to cararoma, a dark German crystal malt almost as dark as chocolate malt. As the grain dries the sugar in the grains crystallises out, hence crystal malt

I made a Porter according to a recipe from somewhere or other and added the specified amount of crystal malt. Eurgh! A huge caramel taste had developed by the time the Porter was ready. I had even put it in a competition. It didn’t do well.

Even craft brewers use crystal malt and I wish they wouldn’t.

When I was brewing what I used to do was, in a new, unused aluminium foil backing dish was spread malt to an inch deep, then bung that into a 90°C oven, pretty cool, turning it every 15 minutes (just like people with wide shovels used to do in the old wooden kilns) to make sure none of it would burn. An hour at 90°C then half an hour at 100°C, half an hour at 110°C and half an hour at 120°C, turning it every 15 minutes all the way through. Through all this there was an intense an delightful aroma of baking biscuits coming from the oven :bgrin

But it gave me a not-quite pale malt, pale amber to be technical, that when added to the grist in place of the same amount of normal pale malt gave the most delightful malty flavor to a beer. And it never turned into bloody caramel!

So there!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Jan 2019, 07:11

Hmmm what we could do is all who want to buy a certain IPA, one with a massive 80IBU say (IBU = International Bittering Units.) We would buy two cans or stubbies.

Then at a certain time to be agreed we all sit down and drink one can/stubby and post our impressions. The second can or stubby would be put away somewhere cool and we drink it 12 months later.

The problem with an IPA is it needs time for the hops to change from bittering to flavor molecules and no business can afford to have a heap of expensive beer just sitting in the cellar. The original IPA was alright—the beer matured in East India Company ships as they sailed (actual sails) to Goa in India at very low freight cost, the ships being pretty much empty on the way to India. No more commercial sailing ships so cellars and time are needed.

The original discussion thread can be pinned to the top of Off Topic so we won’t forget it. Time can be set using GMT. Saturday afternoon here is Friday night in the US. I will see if I can get a couple good home brewers to join in.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Dax » 09 Jan 2019, 07:50

Hope you all realise, 90% of all the beer in Aus, including most craft beers, are owned by 2 multinational companies and they control what beers are available in the majority of pubs. That's why it's very hard to get a decent beer, they are all mostly chemical crap and coles/woolworths, control distribution of just about all alcohol.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Jan 2019, 08:11

Yup, Squires is owned by Tooheys.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 11 Jan 2019, 13:10

Yesterday I had the Golden Valley Brewery "Dundee Porter".

from the bottle ...

"A robust porter that excels in drinkability. Notes of dark chocolate and toast are softened by wheat and caramel malts."

35 IBU, 5.3% ABV

This small craft brewery only makes high quality brews. It was very good. Enjoyed it a lot. I devoured this 30 oz bottle in no time flat.

Golden Valley Porter.JPG

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Jan 2019, 16:08

I do like big stouts and porters. Depth of flavor, ability to cellar it for some years.

A batch of Russian Imperial Stout (used to be brewed in England then sold to Russia incl the Royal Household) I made and kept in a keg for 12 months (FG dropped from 1033 to 1019, OG was 1140.)

Intensely chocolately it became intensely licorice flavored. Took the last two stubbies of it with me to Queensland. Mate poured it into glasses—no real taste at all tho still sound. Not bad, cellared for 9 years before it faded.

A winter evening, pour this beer into a big brandy balloon, sit in front of the fire sipping. As the stout or porter or barleywine warms up and slightly oxidises the flavor improves and it becomes marvelously malty. This is the way to drink a good big beer.

Sprint could brew something like that. A can of a clean, lightly hopped kit like the Coopers Lager. Nice fresh tin of that. Two tins fresh Coopers light liquid malt extract. That would give 1 x 23 + 2 x 21 = 65 points OG. Add 1Kg dry malt extract, maybe 250g Carafa Special I malt, steeped in 750g 66°C water, strain the wort off the grains, top to 2L, add the dry malt extract, boil all that, add, prrrtt 30g of nice high alpha hops and boil 50 minutes, add 15g hops, boil another 10 minutes and add another 15g hops. These last 2 additions being say Goldings or Fuggles etc. Strain into the fermenter on top of the liquid malt extract, top to 18L, pitch 2-3 packets ale yeast.

Nice big beer, color, flavor, bitterness etc. Add half a kilo blue gum honey after the heat is turned off, or 500g dark/molasses Muscovado sugar. Cellar 6-12 months, try a stubby. Too bitter? Leave it another 6 months. Once you can drink it make your supply last 3-4 years. Be amazed as it matures. A stick of cinnamon, few cloves, couple cardamom pods, star anise star at 10 minutes before flameout, same again as soon as heat is turned off adds a nice general warm spicy note. Nothing overpowering.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 11 Jan 2019, 16:20

HBS Guy wrote:I do like big stouts and porters. Depth of flavor, ability to cellar it for some years.

A batch of Russian Imperial Stout (used to be brewed in England then sold to Russia incl the Royal Household) I made and kept in a keg for 12 months (FG dropped from 1033 to 1019, OG was 1140.)

Intensely chocolately it became intensely licorice flavored. Took the last two stubbies of it with me to Queensland. Mate poured it into glasses—no real taste at all tho still sound. Not bad, cellared for 9 years before it faded.

A winter evening, pour this beer into a big brandy balloon, sit in front of the fire sipping. As the stout or porter or barleywine warms up and slightly oxidises the flavor improves and it becomes marvelously malty. This is the way to drink a good big beer.

Sprint could brew something like that. A can of a clean, lightly hopped kit like the Coopers Lager. Nice fresh tin of that. Two tins fresh Coopers light liquid malt extract. That would give 1 x 23 + 2 x 21 = 65 points OG. Add 1Kg dry malt extract, maybe 250g Carafa Special I malt, steeped in 750g 66°C water, strain the wort off the grains, top to 2L, add the dry malt extract, boil all that, add, prrrtt 30g of nice high alpha hops and boil 50 minutes, add 15g hops, boil another 10 minutes and add another 15g hops. These last 2 additions being say Goldings or Fuggles etc. Strain into the fermenter on top of the liquid malt extract, top to 18L, pitch 2-3 packets ale yeast.

Nice big beer, color, flavor, bitterness etc. Add half a kilo blue gum honey after the heat is turned off, or 500g dark/molasses Muscovado sugar. Cellar 6-12 months, try a stubby. Too bitter? Leave it another 6 months. Once you can drink it make your supply last 3-4 years. Be amazed as it matures. A stick of cinnamon, few cloves, couple cardamom pods, star anise star at 10 minutes before flameout, same again as soon as heat is turned off adds a nice general warm spicy note. Nothing overpowering.

Dang!

Reminds me that I just drink and enjoy the stuff, but I have little idea about what makes it tick ... *sigh* ... Ah well ...

:beer

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Jan 2019, 18:03

If you know a little of what goes into a beer I think you can appreciate it more. I try to explain the history and the process that led to that beer style becoming popular. I am NOT trying to get everyone to start home brewing.

When you try to dig into what makes a beer great you come across IBUs, abv, IPA, RIS, stout porter etc etc. I hope I can demystify those terms and add historical notes etc.

George Washington loved English porter. Taverns selling mainly porter settled on a cut of meat to serve with porter: you guessed it, porterhouse steak aka sirloin. After the Revolution saw the departure of the redcoats George had to settle for American porter “just as good as the English” he lied :rofl
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 12 Jan 2019, 12:06

So tonight I tried out a beer from a brand I've never had before, Three Creeks Brewing, out of Sisters, OR.

I drank a bottle of their "Knotty Blonde Ale". From their website ...

"A light bodied, sassy Blonde ale brewed with a kiss of Sterling hops and the finest Canadian 2-row barley. Simple, yet beautiful."

4.4%, 18 IBU

Well, it was light bodied and simple, alright. It was also light on flavor. It reminded me of drinking a Coors. Not that it was bad, but I didn't think there was anything about this beer that jumps out at you to make you remember it.

This one would be fine for gulping down with pizza or for quenching a thirst on a hot day, but that's about it.

Aussie might like it.

I also bought a Porter from this company which I'll show you guys in the coming days.

Three Creeks Knotty Blonde.JPG

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby SethBullock » 12 Jan 2019, 13:08

True hero.JPG

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby SethBullock » 12 Jan 2019, 13:10

miracle.JPG

SethBullock
Jaguar

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic