Page 23 of 34

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2019, 14:19
by HBS Guy
The Holy Spirit moves in mysterious ways. :bgrin

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2019, 15:04
by HBS Guy
SethBullock wrote:So tonight I tried out a beer from a brand I've never had before, Three Creeks Brewing, out of Sisters, OR.

I drank a bottle of their "Knotty Blonde Ale". From their website ...

"A light bodied, sassy Blonde ale brewed with a kiss of Sterling hops and the finest Canadian 2-row barley. Simple, yet beautiful."

4.4%, 18 IBU

Well, it was light bodied and simple, alright. It was also light on flavor. It reminded me of drinking a Coors. Not that it was bad, but I didn't think there was anything about this beer that jumps out at you to make you remember it.

This one would be fine for gulping down with pizza or for quenching a thirst on a hot day, but that's about it.

Aussie might like it.

I also bought a Porter from this company which I'll show you guys in the coming days.

Three Creeks Knotty Blonde.JPG


Cheers! :beer


The color is the color an IPA should be. A little bit of vienna or munich malt would not have darkened it much but added some malt flavor, hopping is up to the brewer I suppose but I would do it a bit like I did with my “Hop Madness” Pack: put a tiny bit of high alpha bittering hop in at 60 minutes then large additions at 15 and 5 minutes.

I have mentioned before that the alpha acids in hops get converted into iso alpha acids which get dissolved in the wort and add bittering. There is a thing called utilisation, the percent of alpha acids that actually end up in the wort. For a 5% or less beer the utlilisation is about 23% for a 60 minute boil. For 15 minutes that has dropped to 13%, for 5 minutes much less than that. Hops added at the 15 minute stage add hop flavor, hops added in the last minutes or after the heat is turned off add aroma.

My Hop Madness Pack packed the 15 minute addition, needed twice as many as if I had added them at the start of the 60 minute boil but can you imagine the hop flavor? HUGE! With all those hops it was not a cheap Pack but there was always demand of it. Was a nice 5 minute addition too, hops chosen for aroma.

So pale need not mean tasteless. But greatness comes at a cost.

Ha! I love to see a head on my beer so I tend to pour my beer into a glass. At a barbeque I would just drink from the stubby (despise cans) because the fat from the BBQ would kill the head anyway. There is something else that kills the head:

One day at the shop I got a phone call “My Seattle Porter is not keeping a head!” I knew what the problem was straight away :bgrin and told the guy to bring in a stubby of it. I got 3 small (“butcher glasses” as they are known in my state) glasses out and awaited his arrival. I poured the beer into the 3 glasses and the customer started laughing—each glass had a lovely persistent head of foam on it! As it should—there was dried wheat malt extract in the Pack and wheat supplies the proteins that keep a head on the beer. Silly sod had washed his glasses with the rest of his dishes, dried them and put them away. MY glasses had been washed with dishwashing detergent and then thoroughly rinsed before being dried with a clean tea towel: dishwashing detergent kills the head on a beer VERY quickly.

BTW, the Pack made a very nice beer tho it was dried malt extract plus some grains to be steeped plus hops and a can of liquid malt. Very nice and nearly equal to a full mash beer. I got the recipe (well, got the full mash recipe) from a home brewer living in Seattle, not too far from Oregonia :rofl and converted it into a Pack. Not as popular as more spectacular Packs I sold all I made in a fairly short time: smooth beer with nice gentle roasty-chocolaty notes and that nice thick persistent head.

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2019, 15:21
by HBS Guy
SethBullock wrote:So tonight I tried out a beer from a brand I've never had before, Three Creeks Brewing, out of Sisters, OR.

I drank a bottle of their "Knotty Blonde Ale". From their website ...

"A light bodied, sassy Blonde ale brewed with a kiss of Sterling hops and the finest Canadian 2-row barley. Simple, yet beautiful."

4.4%, 18 IBU

Well, it was light bodied and simple, alright. It was also light on flavor. It reminded me of drinking a Coors. Not that it was bad, but I didn't think there was anything about this beer that jumps out at you to make you remember it.

This one would be fine for gulping down with pizza or for quenching a thirst on a hot day, but that's about it.

Aussie might like it.

I also bought a Porter from this company which I'll show you guys in the coming days.

Three Creeks Knotty Blonde.JPG


Cheers! :beer


The color is the color an IPA should be. A little bit of vienna or munich malt would not have darkened it much but added some malt flavor, hopping is up to the brewer I suppose but I would do it a bit like I did with my “Hop Madness” Pack: put a tiny bit of high alpha bittering hop in at 60 minutes then large additions at 15 and 5 minutes.

I have mentioned before that the alpha acids in hops get converted into iso alpha acids which get dissolved in the wort and add bittering. There is a thing called utilisation, the percent of alpha acids that actually end up in the wort. For a 5% or less beer the utlilisation is about 23% for a 60 minute boil. For 15 minutes that has dropped to 13%, for 5 minutes much less than that. Hops added at the 15 minute stage add hop flavor, hops added in the last minutes or after the heat is turned off add aroma.

My Hop Madness Pack packed the 15 minute addition, needed twice as many as if I had added them at the start of the 60 minute boil but can you imagine the hop flavor? HUGE! With all those hops it was not a cheap Pack but there was always demand of it. Was a nice 5 minute addition too, hops chosen for aroma.

So pale need not mean tasteless. But greatness comes at a cost.

Ha! I love to see a head on my beer so I tend to pour my beer into a glass. At a barbeque I would just drink from the stubby (despise cans) because the fat from the BBQ would kill the head anyway. There is something else that kills the head:

One day at the shop I got a phone call “My Seattle Porter is not keeping a head!” I knew what the problem was straight away :bgrin and told the guy to bring in a stubby of it. I got 3 small (“butcher glasses” as they are known in my state) glasses out and awaited his arrival. I poured the beer into the 3 glasses and the customer started laughing—each glass had a lovely persistent head of foam on it! As it should—there was dried wheat malt extract in the Pack and wheat supplies the proteins that keep a head on the beer. Silly sod had washed his glasses with the rest of his dishes, dried them and put them away. MY glasses had been washed with dishwashing detergent and then thoroughly rinsed before being dried with a clean tea towel: dishwashing detergent kills the head on a beer VERY quickly.

BTW, the Pack made a very nice beer tho it was dried malt extract plus some grains to be steeped plus hops and a can of liquid malt. Very nice and nearly equal to a full mash beer. I got the recipe (well, got the full mash recipe) from a home brewer living in Seattle, not too far from Oregonia :rofl and converted it into a Pack. Not as popular as more spectacular Packs I sold all I made in a fairly short time: smooth beer with nice gentle roasty-chocolaty notes and that nice thick persistent head.

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2019, 15:56
by johnsmith
HBS Guy wrote: Silly sod had washed his glasses with the rest of his dishes, dried them and put them away. MY glasses had been washed with dishwashing detergent and then thoroughly rinsed before being dried with a clean tea towel: dishwashing detergent kills the head on a beer VERY quickly.


I can't stand it when people don't rinse their dishes. It's just laziness.

Dish washing detergent is meant to be used to wash dishes, not to be consumed. Drying glasses, either drip dry or with a tea towel DOES NOT remove the residue.

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2019, 16:06
by SethBullock
Yeah, I don't use soap on my beer glasses. Just water and sometimes I wipe them with a sponge under the water and then rinse them out really well.

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2019, 11:29
by SethBullock
I'm drinking Guiness Draught Stout tonight.

I assume you guys have that available to you, right?

Nitrogenated Stout
Smooth and Creamy
Hints of coffee and chocolate, smoothy balanced with bitter, sweet, roasted notes.


I think this is sweeter than some of the other stouts I've tried, with a little less of the roasty, toasty flavor. Very enjoyable. 4.2%

What do you guys think?


Re: What Beer Do You Like?

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2019, 12:50
by Sprintcyclist
johnsmith wrote:
HBS Guy wrote: Silly sod had washed his glasses with the rest of his dishes, dried them and put them away. MY glasses had been washed with dishwashing detergent and then thoroughly rinsed before being dried with a clean tea towel: dishwashing detergent kills the head on a beer VERY quickly.


I can't stand it when people don't rinse their dishes. It's just laziness.

Dish washing detergent is meant to be used to wash dishes, not to be consumed. Drying glasses, either drip dry or with a tea towel DOES NOT remove the residue.


I usually rinse all glasses, cups and bowls. Funny, I don't rinse the plates ............. hhhhhhhmmmmmmm, wonder why not ?

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2019, 13:55
by Dax
SethBullock wrote:I'm drinking Guiness Draught Stout tonight.

I assume you guys have that available to you, right?

Nitrogenated Stout
Smooth and Creamy
Hints of coffee and chocolate, smoothy balanced with bitter, sweet, roasted notes.


I think this is sweeter than some of the other stouts I've tried, with a little less of the roasty, toasty flavor. Very enjoyable. 4.2%

What do you guys think?



Guinness is available round the country, all our venues sell Guinness, it's a great seller and a beer I drink when I drink which is only a couple of times a year. We also sell independent craft beers, the nicest one is a porter, which is brewed in Beechworth Vic. It's beautiful and we also have a low alcohol porter which is brilliant and come from a craft brewer in Wangarrata. Vic, tried it at the last Aus jazz and blues festival last year and instantly ordered 10 barrels, its become a big seller for lunch time drinkers as they can have 3 or 4 and not go over the limit and the ladies love it.

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2019, 14:50
by Sprintcyclist
Dax wrote:
SethBullock wrote:I'm drinking Guiness Draught Stout tonight.

I assume you guys have that available to you, right?

Nitrogenated Stout
Smooth and Creamy
Hints of coffee and chocolate, smoothy balanced with bitter, sweet, roasted notes.


I think this is sweeter than some of the other stouts I've tried, with a little less of the roasty, toasty flavor. Very enjoyable. 4.2%

What do you guys think?



Guinness is available round the country, all our venues sell Guinness, it's a great seller and a beer I drink when I drink which is only a couple of times a year. We also sell independent craft beers, the nicest one is a porter, which is brewed in Beechworth Vic. It's beautiful and we also have a low alcohol porter which is brilliant and come from a craft brewer in Wangarrata. Vic, tried it at the last Aus jazz and blues festival last year and instantly ordered 10 barrels, its become a big seller for lunch time drinkers as they can have 3 or 4 and not go over the limit and the ladies love it.



.............. have a low alcohol porter .........


I made a Ruby porter, it was not as nice as I had hoped. Then I used a cheap yeast instead of the better US-05 yeast.
Will try it again in the future.
A better yeast makes a huge difference.

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2019, 15:07
by HBS Guy
Psssssst slosh slosh slosh. . . .ahhhh Epicurean Coffee & fig Imperial Oatmeal Stout.

From Epic Brewing Company, Auckland, NZ.

8% abv, a bit on the light side for an “Imperial” stout. Label suggests adding a scoop of vanilla ice cream, not a silly idea on a stinking hot day like today.

Bit light on flavor, but will sip slowly and see if it improves a bit as it warms up.

Have taken a picture, will post it a bit later.

Got 5 other interesting beers.

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2019, 15:19
by HBS Guy
Nice body and mouthfeel (expect the mouthfeel from the proteins in the oats) and a gentle coffee note in the middle palate.

Head retention is poor but still a patch of thin froth in the middle and around the edge of the glass. (8% is high enough alcohol to affect head retention but not fatally—I didn’t wash this glass.)

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2019, 17:46
by SethBullock
beer (2).jpg

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2019, 18:14
by Aussie
SethBullock wrote:
beer (2).jpg


:beer

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2019, 13:56
by HBS Guy
Demoersleutel Sweet stout. A milk stout I guess. Substantial one at 6%.

Pours with a lovey tan head, gorgeous! Hanging around to, a real plus in my book.

Mild roasty nose, not much there.

Roast flavors, some lingering bitterness at the back of the mouth.

Drink a bit more, roast becomes a bit more pronounced.

Overall, a bit disappointing especially considering how great “Rusty” by the same brewery was.

Then again, contrary to my usual practice, I am drinking the beer immediately out of the fridge—it is bloody hot in Adelaide at the moment! Over 100°F already!

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2019, 14:48
by Aussie
I am drinking the beer immediately out of the fridge


Is there any other way?

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2019, 14:49
by greggerypeccary
Aussie wrote:
I am drinking the beer immediately out of the fridge


Is there any other way?


You've heard of the poms who zap their beer in the microwave before they drink it, haven't you?

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2019, 14:50
by Aussie
No.

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2019, 15:04
by greggerypeccary
Aussie wrote:No.


I've been asked to do it.

Some poms don't like their beer icy cold - they take the edge off by giving it 15 seconds in the microwave.

Strange.

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2019, 15:11
by SethBullock
Poms?

And yes, that's weird, microwaving beer.

This young lady has pom poms.

pom poms.jpg

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2019, 15:15
by Aussie
SethBullock wrote:Poms?

And yes, that's weird, microwaving beer.

This young lady has pom poms.

pom poms.jpg


Poms = people from England.

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2019, 15:29
by greggerypeccary
SethBullock wrote:Poms?

And yes, that's weird, microwaving beer.

This young lady has pom poms.

pom poms.jpg


Oh, that's what we call people from England - a pom.

Mostly as a term of endearment.

Such as, "you silly pommy bastard".

Some people get offended by it though.

Anyway, on my recent trip to London the beer was warm in a lot of pubs.

Even white wine was kept warm in some of them.

And, I know a couple of people here in Perth who like to zap their beer for 10 or 15 seconds to take off the chill.

One's from Darwin, actually.

I like my beer icy cold :beer

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2019, 17:47
by HBS Guy
Aussie wrote:
I am drinking the beer immediately out of the fridge


Is there any other way?

Apart from the heat of summer, yes.

Mid winter the beer goes in the pantry.

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2019, 21:10
by johnsmith
HBS Guy wrote:Mid winter the beer goes in the pantry.


:WTF

you loco man!

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2019, 08:24
by HBS Guy
Been in Adelaide in winter?

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2019, 08:31
by Sprintcyclist
HBS Guy wrote:
Aussie wrote:
I am drinking the beer immediately out of the fridge


Is there any other way?

Apart from the heat of summer, yes.

Mid winter the beer goes in the pantry.


yes, in winter beer about 10 degrees or so.
4 degrees is too cold for tastebuds.