What Beer Do You Like?

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

Postby greggerypeccary » 16 Jan 2019, 09:09

johnsmith wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Mid winter the beer goes in the pantry.

:WTF

you loco man!

It's crazy talk.

Beer should ALWAYS be cold.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

spamone: Animal

Postby Dax » 16 Jan 2019, 09:41

The correct temp for drinking beer and get the best flavour out of it is 2-4degC, add a cold glass and you get the best experience. At venues where customers appreciate good beer, we keep our glasses in a freezer, customers love to get a cold beer in an ice cold glass, it keeps the beer chilled longer and stops it from going flat quickly. As for home brewing, store my beer in the pantry all year round which has a temp of 6-8degC, which keeps the beer and food really fresh. Put it in the fridge the day before visitors arrive and they have cold beer to drink, If you leave it in the fridge permanently, it seems to remove the flavours and bottle fermentation stops. That goes for independent and home brewed beers, corporate beers including their supposed craft beers, contains lots of chemicals and preservatives to extend shelf life so are crap. The only corporate beer I would drink is Guinness and Kilkenny, mostly only drink black beers. if there was a real craft black beer and Guinness on tap, would always choose the craft.

We've all heard of induction cooking, in the next couple of years, we may see reverse induction cooling, where you put your glass down on a glass topped bar and it's cooled from underneath. Don't know how it works, but my youngest daughter who now runs the show, has been looking into it.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby SethBullock » 17 Jan 2019, 12:06

Tonight's beer is the Three Creeks "Fivepine Chocolate Porter".

From the website ...

A robust Porter that features 2 pounds per barrel of the finest Belgian dark chocolate, creating a slightly roasty pint with underlying chocolate sweetness.

Smooth, enjoyable, mild chocolate note, roasty, nice head when poured, lace on glass. Dark brown color. I wasn't too taken with that Three Creeks Knotty Blonde. This is nice, though. Can't complain.

Sure wish I could have a beer with you guys. When are any of you coming to the States? When you come here, we're going to go to some of these awesome brew pubs. We're takin' taxis. No worries.

Three Creeks Chocolate Porter.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty

"There's only one solution: MORE guns!" - greggerypeccary

... "mr know it all" - Bongalong
SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 17 Jan 2019, 19:35

If some arrangements are solid I will be visiting the Brew Rat Fest in June. Let you know ahead of time.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 17 Jan 2019, 19:38

There is a place we can get together and drink the same beer.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 19 Jan 2019, 12:36

HBS Guy wrote:If some arrangements are solid I will be visiting the Brew Rat Fest in June. Let you know ahead of time.

Awesome! Do you have a link? I googled and couldn't find it.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby SethBullock » 19 Jan 2019, 12:39

greggerypeccary wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Mid winter the beer goes in the pantry.

:WTF

you loco man!

It's crazy talk.

Beer should ALWAYS be cold.

Since we're not talking politics, we actually agree on something. Wonder of wonders!!!

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Jan 2019, 14:57

How cold do you soft Quincelanders think it gets in Adelaide in winter anyway?

Cellar temperature is the go.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Jan 2019, 16:16

Drinking a kiwi beer.

Epic Brewery “Hop Zombie” and what I taste would not turn even the freshest corpse into a half-woken zombie.

What there is is OK as far as it goes: light amber color (but it does not pretend to be a pale ale or an IPA) keeps a bit of head, nice nose, inoffensive flavor. Expected more. Oh well.

Now, NZ grows a very very nice hop: Nelson sauvin. Puts a glorious flavor/aroma of tropical fruits into a beer. Need to drink that beer fresh.

In Tassie I will grow a LOT of hops, dry them in my dehydrator and will try to brew a batch using “wet” hops—hop cones straight from the vine to the kettle! Won’t have but a minor clue as to alpha acid content. So throw a metric buttload of hops into a BIG beer that will be cellared for a while.

If I have Saaz hops (pssst, it is really a Fuggles but grown in the Bohemia part of the Czech Republic, refined, yeah?) and I throw half a Kg of wet hops in at the start of the boil and some more at 15 minutes (i.e. the 60 minute boil has 15 minutes left to go) and 5 minutes and at flameout you better believe me that beer is going to have wonderful Saaz hop flavor and aroma oozing out of it! In fact, I would add half the metric buttload at 60 minutes and half at 30 minutes or just add it at 10 minute intervals all through the boil, assuming I have enough hops.

Don’t know what hop rhizomes are available today but I hope to get a nice range:

American: Amarillo, one of the most civilised hops around, delicious taste and aroma, no roughness anywhere

UK: my first love, fuggles and goldings for a delicious bitter: an ESB, Extra Special Bitter that has a bitterness (IBU) higher than the original gravity (1050to 1070) it is a refined ale, bitter but good malt sweetness to balance the hop bitterness. Boost the gravity (sugar+dextrine content) and the bitterness (expressed as IBU or International Bitterness Units) a bit more than the gravity. This means you end up with a wonderful beer with malt and hop flavors. Goldings has a slightly higher alpha acid content than fuggles so often goldings are the bittering hops and fuggles the flavor (15 minutes) and aroma (flameout) hops. The difference in alpha acid content are not huge so fuggles for bittering and goldings for flavor (15 minutes) and aroma (flameout.) Fuggles have a citrusy flavor/aroma, goldings have a candy sweetness.

I am thinking of a mutual brewday: we can make a batch of Guinness with a mash of 3Kg/6lb of pale malt that can be done in a 12L/6quart esky
With sparging done in a large colander and the boil done in a 17L/4gal pan (for the sake of marital harmony the boil could be done on the BBQ outside) and the wort can be diluted to 1030 in the fermenter. This gives us a small pale ale—you said we were making Guinness!

Yeah, OK, we need to steep 500g/1Lb of roasted unmalted barley in 2.5L/5pint cold water. Strain that through a nice big sieve and pour half a litre/1pint tepid water through the black grains in the sieve. Measure how much liquid you have in the fermenter. Then the hop additions for the boil can be determined. We want 20L/5US gal of 1035 wort. We get there we can pitch some yeast.

None of the above is impossible for anyone with a pulse above 50 and an IQ above 80.

Who is in???? HEY?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 20 Jan 2019, 10:56

Something called "Hop Zombie" should be something that leaves an impression, rather than "Ho hum".

Tonight I'm drinking Sierra Nevada's Brut IPA, Extra Dry IPA. This is a Spring Seasonal beer. From the bottle ...

"This is our Brut IPA, a new take on IPA brewed for a bone dry champagne-style finish. Late hop additions give the beer balanced bitterness and a bright pop of citrus flavor. It's as intriguing as it is drinkable."

I bought a six-pack of these a few days ago, and tonight I'm drinking the 4th one. This is a very enjoyable beer. Yessir! Pale yellow, clear, crisp, citrusy hop pop to this beer.

This is the kind of beer that could convince Aussie to actually like his beer to have some flavor.

Thumbs up to Sierra Nevada for this one. 6.2%

Sierra Nevada Brut IPA.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby SethBullock » 20 Jan 2019, 11:26

SethBullock wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:If some arrangements are solid I will be visiting the Brew Rat Fest in June. Let you know ahead of time.

Awesome! Do you have a link? I googled and couldn't find it.

I found some news about it on the web. It's way out in Michigan!

I could meet you at the Portland International Airport or your hotel in Portland, and we could drive out to Bend, OR, and tour the Deschutes Brewery. Drive you back to Portland the next day, and you could be on your way to the Brew Rat Fest.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby SethBullock » 20 Jan 2019, 11:39

My other beer for tonight is a Guinness Extra Stout. This is one we can all talk about from experience, right?

I think this is very good. Nice balance of bitter, roasty, and sweetness. Mmm!

Guinness Extra Stout.JPG

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby Lols » 20 Jan 2019, 14:56

SethBullock wrote:My other beer for tonight is a Guinness Extra Stout. This is one we can all talk about from experience, right?

I think this is very good. Nice balance of bitter, roasty, and sweetness. Mmm!

Guinness Extra Stout.JPG

Oh yeah! :thumb
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Jan 2019, 15:12

Had to get out the house, so make breakfast (sourdough bread, creme fraiche, few capers, couple slices smoked salmon. A ring or three of red onion would have been nice but too bad. Breakfast eaten, quick shower, walk to the car, back to the house, get dressed, shoes, walk to the car, vrrroooommmmmmm!

Yankalilla, second hand shop, few nice little cookbooks, get change for a $10 note! Crazy!

Pop into op shop next door, no decent cookbooks BUT there was a promising pile waiting pricing etc. Back in 2-3 weeks. Bakery, vrooooommmm to a nice layby, dog enjoying the run in the safe field there. Head back, Myponga, there is a market there, more importantly there is a microbrewery behind the buildings housing the market. Bought a few bottles beer (375ml) stowed that in the car fridge then into the market, two more cookbooks, quick glance around and home.

Brewery is the Smiling Samoyed Brewery, “friendly dogs welcome” so I found a secluded spot and tied my dog securely before going in. Nope, aggressive bitch in her declining years, anybody trying to pat her likely to lose their hand.

Beer #1
“Poppet” 7.6% strong brown ale. “this. . strong, hoppy dark brown ale is a hybrid. . .between a strong Scotch ale and a hoppy IPA.” Bullshit!

Nowhere near malty enough for a Scotch ale.

Marketing puffery aside, how was the beer?

Smell of dark malt and hops on the nose. Poured out a nice dark ale with a lovely light-medium tan head that hung around. For a 7.6% ale that is pretty good: no sugar in this beer! Fairly bitter. I would love to try this one with 6-12 months age on it. At present the bitterness overwhelms the malt (so much for that Scotch ale parentage, ha!)
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Monk » 29 Jan 2019, 12:58

Coriole winery. Several entrees, shared main, one more main to come. Manna come down from heaven would taste of dry ashes in comparison! One glass chenin blanc and I had a glass of rose to accompany the mains.

The belly pork melted in the mouth, the cured kangaroo, thinly sliced—just superb!

It is Tuesday yet every table is occupied.

If you are in SA a trip to the Southern Vales is a must!

Bbbbbbbuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrpppppppp!!!!!!?

Menu:
https://www.coriole.com/assets/client/File/Menu_06%20Dec%202018.pdf
Monk

Postby SethBullock » 30 Jan 2019, 13:00

Last week I bought a bottle of Full Sail "Bourbon Barrel Aged Pale Ale".

For me, this was a mistake. Tasted like watered down whiskey.

Full Sail Bourbon Barrel.JPG

Live and learn, I guess ... :oops

But tonight I had the "Vanilla Oatis Oatmeal Stout" by the Ninkasi Brewing Company, Eugene, OR.

"A divine blend of vanilla, coffee, chocolate, and roasted malt notes swirl together to create a smooth Oatmeal Stout with a crisp finish. The true signature of this beer comes from the addition of whole vanilla beans to the final stage of conditioning—the same process we use to dry hop a beer. Slightly sweet with a rich complexity, Vanilla Oatis is decadent and delicious.

Vanilla Oatis Oatmeal Stout is characterized by a roasted front flavor, smooth rich oats, a touch of chocolate flavor, and a rich vanilla complexity imparted by whole vanilla beans. It is bigger than a traditional stout with more alcohol, body and a touch more bitterness to keep it balanced."

"Ninkasi" [nin-kah-see] is the ancient Sumerian Goddess of Fermentation.

The company was founded in 2006 by two partners, one a brewer, the other a financial guy. https://ninkasibrewing.com/about-us/

I really enjoyed this one a lot. Well done!!

Ninkasi Vanilla Oatis.JPG

:beer

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 30 Jan 2019, 17:24

Ninkasi, eh?

Hymn to Ninkasi

Borne of the flowing water,
Tenderly cared for by the Ninhursag,
Borne of the flowing water,
Tenderly cared for by the Ninhursag,

Having founded your town by the sacred lake,
She finished its great walls for you,
Ninkasi, having founded your town by the sacred lake,
She finished it's walls for you,

Your father is Enki, Lord Nidimmud,
Your mother is Ninti, the queen of the sacred lake.
Ninkasi, your father is Enki, Lord Nidimmud,
Your mother is Ninti, the queen of the sacred lake.

You are the one who handles the dough with a big shovel,
Mixing in a pit, the bappir with sweet aromatics,
Ninkasi, you are the one who handles the dough with a big shovel,
Mixing in a pit, the bappir with - honey,

You are the one who bakes the bappir in the big oven,
Puts in order the piles of hulled grains,
Ninkasi, you are the one who bakes the bappir in the big oven,
Puts in order the piles of hulled grains,

You are the one who waters the malt set on the ground,
The noble dogs keep away even the potentates,
Ninkasi, you are the one who waters the malt set on the ground,
The noble dogs keep away even the potentates,

You are the one who soaks the malt in a jar,
The waves rise, the waves fall.
Ninkasi, you are the one who soaks the malt in a jar,
The waves rise, the waves fall.

You are the one who spreads the cooked mash on large reed mats,
Coolness overcomes,
Ninkasi, you are the one who spreads the cooked mash on large reed mats,
Coolness overcomes,

You are the one who holds with both hands the great sweet wort,
Brewing with honey wine
(You the sweet wort to the vessel)
Ninkasi, (...)(You the sweet wort to the vessel)

The filtering vat, which makes a pleasant sound,
You place appropriately on a large collector vat.
Ninkasi, the filtering vat, which makes a pleasant sound,
You place appropriately on a large collector vat.

When you pour out the filtered beer of the collector vat,
It is the onrush of Tigris and Euphrates.
Ninkasi, you are the one who pours out the filtered beer of the collector vat,
It is the onrush of Tigris and Euphrates.

https://www.ancient.eu/article/222/the-hymn-to-ninkasi-goddess-of-beer/

Ninkasi the Sumerian goddess of beer and brewing. Goddess, note: men did not brew until industrial brewing.

Bappir was bread made of sprouted grain—basically malted grain. The bappir was sliced and back in the oven to get more color, they could make black beer back then. They did not have hops so a twist of skirret was given and placed in the mouth and the beer swished over it in the mouth to give the balancing bitterness.

The bappir bread was crumbled in a basket placed over a big stone container (filter vat and collector vat) and water poured over the bread dissolving the sugars etc and carrying that into the collector vat. Plug of Nile mud placed over the mouth of the collector vat and the beer left to ferment.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lols » 31 Jan 2019, 00:00

Oh boy :oops :grn I'm such a dill....I bought a carton of Crown, and no none seems to like it! I think I got mixed up, maybe meant to be Corona? Sigh.....
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby SethBullock » 31 Jan 2019, 13:02

Lols wrote:Oh boy :oops :grn I'm such a dill....I bought a carton of Crown, and no none seems to like it! I think I got mixed up, maybe meant to be Corona? Sigh.....

Crown is supposed to be a premium lager made in Australia. I don't really know much about it, but that's how it advertises itself apparently. Kinda like Michelob does in the U.S. I don't really think these types of beers are really better than their cheaper cousins except that they may be a little less watered down, so they have a little more flavor to them.

If no one seems to like your carton of Crown, but you like it ... well, look at the bright side! :bgrin

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby SethBullock » 31 Jan 2019, 13:11

Tonight's beer from the Crux Fermentation Project, Bend, OR.

Their brewery and pub is located in an old mill equipment business that later became an AAMCO Transmission Shop until 2011, when 3 partners bought it and became Crux. The owners bought all used equipment to get started and put in a ton of work.

"A tasting room nestled in a brewery, or a brewery nested in a tasting room? We hope you visit us in Bend, Oregon— for a brewery tour, just swivel around in your bar stool a couple times. Behind you, the hop cooler. To your left, the brew deck, fermenting vessels, and barrels containing our next [BANISHED] series beers. And before you, our serving tanks delivering an ever-changing tap list."

https://www.cruxfermentation.com/

Crux Stout

A Not-So-Rainy Day Stout
7.7 ABV, 60 IBU

Stouts have a rich, deep and dark history— dating back over 400 years in Europe as a strong porter. Well, forget all that. Yes— this stout is classically dark, but close your eyes and take a sip. You’ll likely be surprised by how easy it is on the palate with notes of caramel, chocolate and roasted coffee driven by a wonderfully nuanced blend of dark crystal, black, roasted and chocolate malt. You won’t have the patience to save this one for a rainy day.

Nice creamy head and very enjoyable to drink. I annihilated the bottle.

So now I've got two breweries to visit in Bend!

Crux Stout.JPG

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby greggerypeccary » 31 Jan 2019, 13:29

Just spent the last week in Sydney, and tried lots of craft beers while I was there.

I must say, nothing really took my fancy.

I was drinking Tooheys on Australia Day :hush
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 31 Jan 2019, 14:15

Could at least have drunk Coopers! Tooheys ptooie!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 31 Jan 2019, 14:17

Since I am not planting 16 trees I will have a bit more skiving off time. A couple breweries and a cidery.

I know none of this will be available in mainland states let alone the US yet it is interesting to visit breweries, taste and evaluate their beers.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby greggerypeccary » 31 Jan 2019, 14:37

HBS Guy wrote:Could at least have drunk Coopers! Tooheys ptooie!

They had Tooheys New on tap, so I gave it a go.

Not as bad as I remembered it.

Was also drinking Heineken at Watson's Bay - ice bucket with 5 Heinekens, $40.

A nice, easy to drink summer beer.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 31 Jan 2019, 16:09

If the light passing through the green bottle hasn’t skunked the hops :rofl
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic