What Beer Do You Like?

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

Postby Lols » 31 Jan 2019, 19:39

SethBullock wrote:
Lols wrote:Oh boy :oops :grn I'm such a dill....I bought a carton of Crown, and no none seems to like it! I think I got mixed up, maybe meant to be Corona? Sigh.....

Crown is supposed to be a premium lager made in Australia. I don't really know much about it, but that's how it advertises itself apparently. Kinda like Michelob does in the U.S. I don't really think these types of beers are really better than their cheaper cousins except that they may be a little less watered down, so they have a little more flavor to them.

If no one seems to like your carton of Crown, but you like it ... well, look at the bright side! :bgrin

:beer

Yeah, that's right, looking on the bright side never blinded anyone :giggle
I will enjoy it, no problem, and will be generous in the offering if anyone "wants a beer" when visiting :beer
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

spamone: Animal

Postby SethBullock » 02 Feb 2019, 11:04

So I told you guys about that Full Sail Bourbon Barrel Pale Ale I tried and didn't care for. When I bought it, I also bought the Full Sail "Harrington's" Bourbon Barrel Aged R3D Ale.

I don't really like it, but that's just me. If you like a beer that tastes a lot like whiskey, you might like it. I just don't care for whiskey ... which, I admit, is somewhat un-American, and I am true-blue 100% 'Merican.

Dark orange, very little carbonation, no head when poured. The bottle is sealed in a black wax. This stuff was fairly spendy, so it's a shame, but I don't think I'm going to finish this bottle, or this glass.

"Full Sail
Harrington's
Bourbon Aged Northwest Red Ale

Joey Harrington led the huddle when Full Sail created his namesake beer. Developed and brewed with former Oregon Duck legend and NFL quarterback Joey Harrington, Harrington’s Bourbon Aged Northwest Red Ale is spicy sweet and pours a deep earthy red.

Aged for months in Buffalo Trace barrels, this Imperial Red malty ale offers aromas of vanilla, spice, and toffee. Caramel rye malt complements the flavors of bourbon whiskey drawn out from within the barrel through months of aging. At 10.2% ABV, this is one smooth sipper.

Full Sail is donating a portion of proceeds to the Harrington Family Foundation, which raises scholarship money for Oregon youth. Available on draft and in 16.9 oz. bottles in limited quantities.
10.2% ABV | 39 IBUs | Seasonal"

Full Sail (Hood River, OR) makes good beers. I have visited their brewery. The brewery is run by about 8 employees. There is nothing wrong with the quality of this drink, and the description of this one is accurate, taken from their website. My problem is that I just don't enjoy whiskey. And this bourbon barrel aging doesn't impart a hint of whiskey. It imparts a lot of whiskey flavor.

Have any of you ever tried beers like this?

Full Sail Harringtons.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty

"There's only one solution: MORE guns!" - greggerypeccary

... "mr know it all" - Bongalong
SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby SethBullock » 02 Feb 2019, 12:02

I finished about 3/4 of that glass above and then threw out the rest, threw out the rest in the bottle, and washed out the glass.

Live and learn ...

But I had a productive day at the store today. I got a bunch of interesting beers to try out. Included were 2 light lagers - one from Deschutes, and one from Sierra Nevada.

Deschutes DaShootz.JPG

Sierra Nevada Helles.JPG

Both are light lagers. Crisp and fresh. Both have less than 5% alcohol, making them very drinkable. Neither one advertises to be more than what they are: Crushable, drinkable, fresh, fairly lightly flavored Lagers. I drank them tonight with pepperoni pizza. Perfect!

These beers were both better than mass-produced Budweiser or Coors. They just tasted fresher and better defined. But they are perfect for every day drinking when you need your thirst quenched while barbecuing, working in the yard, fishing, etc. I wouldn't hesitate to take these on my next fishing trip.

Aussie, you would like these.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Feb 2019, 12:37

If you are eating pizza or BBQ you might as well drink from the bottle as the fat on your lips would kill the head of the beer in 1 second! Light flavored is fine esp with pizza etc. There is a role for pleasant light-flavored skulling beer.

I have ordered a metric buttload of straw and sheepshit for my block so sticking to Coopers Sparkling for a week or so.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 02 Feb 2019, 12:43

HBS Guy wrote:If you are eating pizza or BBQ you might as well drink from the bottle as the fat on your lips would kill the head of the beer in 1 second! Light flavored is fine esp with pizza etc. There is a role for pleasant light-flavored skulling beer.

I have ordered a metric buttload of straw and sheepshit for my block so sticking to Coopers Sparkling for a week or so.

:rofl :rofl :rofl "straw and sheepshit" :rofl :rofl :rofl

I still need to take a drive one day to places in Oregon that have Coopers. A ways away, but not too horribly far. About an hour's drive or so.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Feb 2019, 13:08

Forget the pale ale.

Sparkling ale is good.

Vintage ale is heavenly—and must be treated with caution, not only is it strong at about 7%abv some people get headaches after drinking even a small amount.

Straw and sheepshit are a gardener’s best friends. Well, sometimes cow shit is good but with the trees I want to keep the nitrogen a bit low because I want to control the size of the full grown tree. Cow shit, chickenshit even more, is high in nitrogen—lotsa leaf not much branch growth or fruit. Excellent for cabbage!

I intend to keep at least 6 chooks, sell some eggs, give some away strategically to be able to call in favors in return.

If I need to save to get my conservatory (or whatever) I can live largely on homegrown veg, eggs, the odd fish I can catch and a little bit of chicken which is cheap! O Lordee Iordee I wish I could keep a rooster to piss off some toffynosed neighbors next door!! Hahahahaha!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 02 Feb 2019, 13:24

HBS Guy wrote:Forget the pale ale.

Sparkling ale is good.

Vintage ale is heavenly—and must be treated with caution, not only is it strong at about 7%abv some people get headaches after drinking even a small amount.

Straw and sheepshit are a gardener’s best friends. Well, sometimes cow shit is good but with the trees I want to keep the nitrogen a bit low because I want to control the size of the full grown tree. Cow shit, chickenshit even more, is high in nitrogen—lotsa leaf not much branch growth or fruit. Excellent for cabbage!

I intend to keep at least 6 chooks, sell some eggs, give some away strategically to be able to call in favors in return.

If I need to save to get my conservatory (or whatever) I can live largely on homegrown veg, eggs, the odd fish I can catch and a little bit of chicken which is cheap! O Lordee Iordee I wish I could keep a rooster to piss off some toffynosed neighbors next door!! Hahahahaha!

OK, I'll keep those recommendations in mind.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Feb 2019, 08:58

For tomatoes I dug in 2 bags compost and one bag cow manure—lots of organic matter, good strong plants. From my own plants I was able to make 4L/4qt passata, not bad for a patch in the back yard.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 03 Feb 2019, 10:50

HBS Guy wrote:For tomatoes I dug in 2 bags compost and one bag cow manure—lots of organic matter, good strong plants. From my own plants I was able to make 4L/4qt passata, not bad for a patch in the back yard.

I was wondering if passata was some sort of strange Australian tomato beer, so I googled.

Not that you couldn't cook something using passata as one of the ingredients, and have it with beer. I'll bet a good beer would go well with a dish made with passata.

Yes, so it's all good. Carry on. :beer

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby SethBullock » 03 Feb 2019, 11:04

So, as you know, I haven't cared too much for these "bourbon barrel" ales. I had bought one more when I bought those other two, so I'm going to finish off this bottle, talk about it, and then be done with bourbon barrel beers.

This is the Anderson Valley (Boonville, CA) Bourbon Barrel Stout.

"Aged for three months in Wild Turkey® Bourbon barrels, this luxurious stout has a deep ebony hue and a beautiful mahogany head. The woody, vanilla-like notes imparted by the barrels mingle with aromas of fresh baked bread, toffee, and espresso and envelop the rich chocolate and roasted barley flavors with a fine bourbon character."

6.9%

This drink is better than the others I tried. It actually tastes like Stout ale with a twist of whiskey flavor rather than being overpowered by the whiskey. I'll finish this bottle, unlike the one I threw out the other night. For a non-whiskey drinker, this isn't too bad. It's more like what I had expected with the other two I tried ... a little twist of whiskey, but not overpowering the beer itself.

Those of you who like whiskey may like these kinds of beers. But as for me, no more bourbon barrel beers. Onward! :beer

Anderson.JPG

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby Aussie » 03 Feb 2019, 11:59

'Weird' how you obviously prefer beer contaminated with non beer stuff.

:bgrin
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby greggerypeccary » 03 Feb 2019, 12:29

I bought another carton of Crown Lager the other day.

:?
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby Aussie » 03 Feb 2019, 13:18

greggerypeccary wrote:I bought another carton of Crown Lager the other day.

Over priced fancy badged Tooheys. Comes out of the same brewing line.
Aussie

Postby greggerypeccary » 03 Feb 2019, 13:23

Aussie wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:I bought another carton of Crown Lager the other day.

Over priced fancy badged Tooheys. Comes out of the same brewing line.

Don't think so.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby Aussie » 03 Feb 2019, 13:37

Might have been Fosters. MY CUB golf mate told me. Either Tooheys or Fosters.
Aussie

Postby greggerypeccary » 03 Feb 2019, 13:40

Aussie wrote:Might have been Fosters. MY CUB golf mate told me. Either Tooheys or Fosters.

Fosters.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby SethBullock » 04 Feb 2019, 10:21

Aussie wrote:'Weird' how you obviously prefer beer contaminated with non beer stuff.

I don't mind trying them, Aussie. Some are winners, some aren't.

I just downed a glass of the Da Shootz, and I was thinking again that you would really like this one. Lightly flavored, but has a fresh, high quality character about it. But hey, it's from Deschutes, so that is to be expected.

Cheers! :beer

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby Aussie » 04 Feb 2019, 10:23

SethBullock wrote:
Aussie wrote:'Weird' how you obviously prefer beer contaminated with non beer stuff.

I just downed a glass of the Da Shootz, and I was thinking again that you would really like this one. Lightly flavored, but has a fresh, high quality character about it. But hey, it's from Deschutes, so that is to be expected.

Still can't get 'em here.

:sad
Aussie

Postby SethBullock » 04 Feb 2019, 13:12

Aussie wrote:
SethBullock wrote:

Still can't get 'em here.

:sad

I just got the following message from experienceitbeverages.com.au

Hi ********

We distribute Deschutes Australia wide so get them to send us an email and let us know where they are and we can try and find them a stockist.

Cheers

Contact info@experienceitbeverages.com.au

Good luck!

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Feb 2019, 13:47

The Edinburgh pub in Mitcham stocks some sometimes.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 04 Feb 2019, 16:31

had a couple of 'one fifty lashes' last night ...

A clean-finishing, Australian-style cloudy pale ale for cracking refreshment. Malted wheat adds to its refreshing character and a concoction of hops creates fruity aromas with hints of passionfruit, grapefruit & citrus.

It's a nice easy drinking beer. You can certainly taste the fruit. Goes down well on a hot day. The sort of beer you can down quickly.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby SethBullock » 04 Feb 2019, 17:47

johnsmith wrote:had a couple of 'one fifty lashes' last night ...

A clean-finishing, Australian-style cloudy pale ale for cracking refreshment. Malted wheat adds to its refreshing character and a concoction of hops creates fruity aromas with hints of passionfruit, grapefruit & citrus.

It's a nice easy drinking beer. You can certainly taste the fruit. Goes down well on a hot day. The sort of beer you can down quickly.

That sounds gooooood! :beer

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 04 Feb 2019, 17:48

SethBullock wrote:

That sounds gooooood! :beer

Tasted good to. The sort of beer I like.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Tally » 04 Feb 2019, 18:28

I've tried that one, a perfect summer beer.
Luceat Lux Vestra
Tally
Jack Russell

Postby johnsmith » 04 Feb 2019, 18:34

Tally wrote:a perfect summer beer.

winter is for wine.
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic