What Beer Do You Like?

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

Postby greggerypeccary » 05 Feb 2019, 11:18

johnsmith wrote:had a couple of 'one fifty lashes' last night ...

A clean-finishing, Australian-style cloudy pale ale for cracking refreshment. Malted wheat adds to its refreshing character and a concoction of hops creates fruity aromas with hints of passionfruit, grapefruit & citrus.

It's a nice easy drinking beer. You can certainly taste the fruit. Goes down well on a hot day. The sort of beer you can down quickly.

A James Squire beer - quite nice.

Heaps of pubs in Perth and Sydney have that on tap.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

spamone: Animal

Postby Tally » 05 Feb 2019, 14:03

johnsmith wrote:
Tally wrote:a perfect summer beer.

winter is for wine.

Winter is for red, summer is for white. :purple
Luceat Lux Vestra
Tally
Jack Russell

Postby Aussie » 05 Feb 2019, 14:17

In a couple of weeks on the Sunshine Coast and it is Deschutes.

:bgrin

Seth.....now I'm in the shit. This is what is happening:

They should have this in store by the 27th Feb and here’s the line-up of what’s on order just as an FYI:

Deschutes Brewery Fresh Squeezed CANS 355ml Fresh Hopped IPA 6.4%
Deschutes Brewery Fresh HAZE CANS 355ml Hazy IPA 6.5%
Deschutes Brewery Pacific Wonderland CANS 355ml Dry Hopped PILS 5.5%

So WTF do I get? From the sound of it, I'd guess Pacific Wonderland.

:OMG
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Feb 2019, 15:49

Get some fresh hopped IPA!

Dilute it with some soda water if you like.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 05 Feb 2019, 16:17

HBS Guy wrote:Get some fresh hopped IPA!

FMD......I want a beer. Not keen on 'hoppy' taste. And.........Stick yer soda water up yer clacker!
Aussie

Postby johnsmith » 05 Feb 2019, 19:23

Tally wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
Tally wrote:a perfect summer beer.

winter is for wine.

Winter is for red, summer is for white. :purple

nah ... white is for when you run out of red :yahoo
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby SethBullock » 05 Feb 2019, 21:24

Aussie wrote:In a couple of weeks on the Sunshine Coast and it is Deschutes.

:bgrin

Seth.....now I'm in the shit. This is what is happening:

They should have this in store by the 27th Feb and here’s the line-up of what’s on order just as an FYI:

Deschutes Brewery Fresh Squeezed CANS 355ml Fresh Hopped IPA 6.4%
Deschutes Brewery Fresh HAZE CANS 355ml Hazy IPA 6.5%
Deschutes Brewery Pacific Wonderland CANS 355ml Dry Hopped PILS 5.5%

So WTF do I get? From the sound of it, I'd guess Pacific Wonderland.

:OMG

Yay! The Pacific Northwest, USA, to the rescue!

Yes, Pacific Wonderland for you.

You would find Fresh Squeezed too hoppy for your taste.

Personally, my favorite of the 3 is Fresh Haze. Not as hoppy as Fresh Squeezed, more of a softer malty quality with a slight orange twist. I think it's delicious.

Deschutes Pacific.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty

"There's only one solution: MORE guns!" - greggerypeccary

... "mr know it all" - Bongalong
SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby SethBullock » 05 Feb 2019, 21:26

:rofl

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby SethBullock » 05 Feb 2019, 21:30

Aussie wrote:

FMD......I want a beer. Not keen on 'hoppy' taste. And.........Stick yer soda water up yer clacker!

I had to google FMD. Lol ...

I have a friend who says, "Well eff me running!"

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby Lols » 10 Feb 2019, 11:35

Went to an Italian restaurant in main street Mornington, and son ordered this beer, so I tried, never seen it before, but, it was so bitter!
He likes it bitter. I said, that's only good to have lemonaide with!! Gosh, beer ain't beer anymore! So many variants, used to be just a few to choose from back in the days, and that was it!
I do like some of these pale ales and milder beers on it's own now, whereas it all used to be too strong for my liking, and always put lemonaide with it, but of late, beers are so many, it's nice to have it straight!
But this particular one below, it's too strong for my taste buds!

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby SethBullock » 10 Feb 2019, 12:37

Lols wrote:Went to an Italian restaurant in main street Mornington, and son ordered this beer, so I tried, never seen it before, but, it was so bitter!
He likes it bitter. I said, that's only good to have lemonaide with!! Gosh, beer ain't beer anymore! So many variants, used to be just a few to choose from back in the days, and that was it!
I do like some of these pale ales and milder beers on it's own now, whereas it all used to be too strong for my liking, and always put lemonaide with it, but of late, beers are so many, it's nice to have it straight!

You're right about there being all kinds of variants. Some are good, some not so good. Right now I'm working my way through a 12-beer variety pack from a brewer in Eugene, OR. I'm not caring for these beers very much, and I'm not bothering to show them on the Beer thread.

Win some, lose some.

For just overall great quality, you can't go wrong with Deschutes beers and Sierra Nevada beers. Hard to get in Australia unfortunately.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby Lols » 10 Feb 2019, 14:42

SethBullock wrote:
Lols wrote:Went to an Italian restaurant in main street Mornington, and son ordered this beer, so I tried, never seen it before, but, it was so bitter!

You're right about there being all kinds of variants. Some are good, some not so good. Right now I'm working my way through a 12-beer variety pack from a brewer in Eugene, OR. I'm not caring for these beers very much, and I'm not bothering to show them on the Beer thread.

Win some, lose some.

For just overall great quality, you can't go wrong with Deschutes beers and Sierra Nevada beers. Hard to get in Australia unfortunately.

Ah well, looks like Imma gonna have to go to the US of A and look for that beer next time...... :beer
I will put write down as a 'must try' in my little book of notes when travelling, and then, I will give my opinion, but until then...keep the recommendations going :bgrin
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby SethBullock » 12 Feb 2019, 11:54

Nothing new to report, really. Long day at work, and it's cold and pouring rain outside. Got the wood stove going, and enjoying a Guinness Extra Stout.

I really like this beer! Yessir!

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby Aussie » 12 Feb 2019, 13:01

SethBullock wrote:Nothing new to report, really. Long day at work, and it's cold and pouring rain outside. Got the wood stove going, and enjoying a Guinness Extra Stout.

It's about your 7.30pm. Pissing down, (my weatherman says that will continue into Thursday) cold but nice heating available. Beer. Cosy. All good.
Aussie

Postby johnsmith » 12 Feb 2019, 19:29

Aussie wrote:
SethBullock wrote:Nothing new to report, really. Long day at work, and it's cold and pouring rain outside. Got the wood stove going, and enjoying a Guinness Extra Stout.

It's about your 7.30pm. Pissing down, (my weatherman says that will continue into Thursday) cold but nice heating available. Beer. Cosy. All good.

Pissing down? Send some my way.

It was bloody hot here today and it's expected to be even hotter tomorrow. Got to 35 in the areas I work today, and it's expected to hit 38 there tomorrow. (my work is in the Ormeau / Pimpama area)
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Aussie » 12 Feb 2019, 20:17

I was clumsily referring to Portland, Oregon.
Aussie

Postby hatty » 13 Feb 2019, 18:36

little creatures PA from Perth.......

thats my fav....... easy

looking into the american stuff though :beer
hatty
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Feb 2019, 06:13

Little Creatures is a clone of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

It is all about Cascade hops.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 15 Feb 2019, 11:04

Tonight I'm having Full Sail Brewing (Hood River, OR) Citrus Maxima Pale Ale. From the website ...

One sip and Citrus Maxima will be your main squeeze

Here at Full Sail, when life gives us citrus, we make Citrus Maxima Pale Ale. Maximum citrus levels of grapefruit, pomelo, citrus peel and – of course – hops, make Citrus Maxima a balanced and refreshing pale ale. The greatness of tart and juicy fresh-squeezed citrus cannot be contained, but it can be canned. One sip and Citrus Maxima will be your main squeeze. Tart and juicy tropical flavors of grapefruit and pomelo complement the citrusy hop character of this balanced and refreshing Pale Ale.

In case you were wondering, Citrus maxima comes from the scientific name of the pomelo, one of the three primary ancestors of citrus fruits. Playing on this, as well as the unique grapefruit-like character of pomelo, Citrus Maxima is an easy-drinking pale ale that’s well stocked with Simcoe and Citra hops, while fresh pomelo and grapefruit peels lend citrus and grapefruit notes.

5.7%, 38 IBU

This is a refreshing, easy-drinking pale ale. Medium hopped flavor with a light twist of grapefruit citrus. Nice drink for hot days, fishing trips and recreation.

Full Sail Citrus.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 15 Feb 2019, 15:28

What Jovial Monk is drinking now: Stone Go to IPA.

Pours with a thick off-white head containing big and medium bubbles, not many tiny bubbles so the head, unfortunately, does not hang around.

Color of the beer is a nice light orange, looks pretty tho not authentic.

Aroma is heavenly, citrusy, hmmm.

Taste is OK, taste the hops but not any malt, hint of . . . wateryness :huh :WTF
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 15 Feb 2019, 16:05

That's interesting. I think I've seen Stone beers in the store before, but never tried one.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 15 Feb 2019, 16:37

It is a Californication brewery so yes, you would have seen the beers.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 20 Feb 2019, 12:23

Having a seasonal from Deschutes tonight that they call Red Chair, named after a ski lift.

Copper colored, hoppy aroma, robust hoppiness, softened by the malts. I taste a note of pine. Nice balance. 6.2%, 60 IBU.

"Available December – April. The citrus punch of a big IPA, minus the one-dimensional hop sledgehammer. Several select European and domestic malts round out the edges for a complex, copper-colored brew. Like its namesake ski lift, it’s an insider’s ride to fresh thrills."

Deschutes Red Chair.JPG

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Feb 2019, 17:38

Like a beer with luscious malt.

I have home roasted pale malt s l o w l y to “pale amber” which took about 2.5 hours and I had to stir the grains every 15 minutes. Lovely malty flavor tho and the house smelled wonderfully of baking biscuits/cookies. There is a malt, melanoidin malt, boosts the maltiness of a beer.

There are a couple lightly roasted malts, Vienna malt and Munich malt, darker than the light amber. Then there are the really roasted malts, chocolate and black patent: a little of these gives a lot of color but little flavor. Big breweries use caramel to color :rofl :rofl :rofl and that is why their dark beers suck.

Have not mentioned crystal malts aka cara malts. Hate them, they can put a powerful caramel taste in beers that have been stored a couple months. Most British beer use crystal malts. Really good crystal malts, e.g. the German Weyermann cara malts don’t do that. Cararoma is a dark crystal malt, approaching chocolate malt in color. There are also amber and brown malts, amber is a nice malt, brown malt can give a rough flavor.

So a dark beer offers a lot of options for malt and are fun for a brewer.

I brewed a pale ale one time, all Maris Otter pale malt (an English malt, beloved of homebrewers everywhere) and all Goldings hop plugs (hop plugs are whole hops pressed together then cut into thick disks weighing 15g. Good thing about them: whole UK goldings, just hops picked & dried, can’t be imported into Australia (back when I had the shop anyway) but plugs could be, the huge pressure apparently killed any nasties. About 5%—I figured the malt bill for a 6% ale then stopped sparging early so all the wort that went into the kettle was lovely and thick and rich. I then added the hops at 60, 15, 5 minutes and at flameout and pushed a plug into the conditioning vessel post fermentation.

Took a 2L flagon with me. Uncle Fred was here on a trip from England. He drank a couple of glasses of it and said several times “This is a really well made beer” but too bitter for the others. So, maximised all the malt and hop attributes. With a dark ale choice of malts will do it then the hops need to be chosen to complement the malts. I miss brewing. Such fun to develop a recipe and a spreadsheet makes it easy enough to calculate gravities and bitterness anyway.

For a grainy flavor 6row malt (not grown in Australia) can be used and there are some roasted versions of it. In Australia I would add flaked unmalted barley. This is feed barley, not malting barley so has higher protein so puts a nice thick, persistent head on the beer as well as a nice hint of graininess. Wheat can be used to: soft red summer wheat seems to be a favorite of US home brewers, again not grown here. Plenty of protein in wheat and there is flaked or puffed, no real difference. Oats are nice too, used sparingly!

Be interested to see how the Red Chair beer goes.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Feb 2019, 17:52

We have not tasted/discussed any Belgian beers. I will fix that on the weekend, thinking Duval (“Devil”) a Belgian Golden Ale and one or two Tripes/Dubbles, maybe a Saison (from the Walloon part of Belgium or maybe from France :oops )

Even Aussie can drink a glorious golden Belgian ale! Will see what the Edinburgh has in stock.

We should talk cider too, proper cider made from cider apple, not desert apples.

I am not really interested in spirits, drink some Bombay Gin (can’t resist all the spices in there ooohhhhhhh!) and St Agnes brandy (made here in my state, mainly from irrigated vineyards in the Riverland.)

Maybe the non-beer drinkers could start a spirits thread? Whiskey/bourbon, gin, brandy, tequila, slivovicz etc.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic