So...what animal is gonna kill you in Australia?

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

So...what animal is gonna kill you in Australia?

Postby Aussie » 27 Nov 2018, 16:46

Link.

Reckon that is crap.....they have not included those bastard drop bears.

:bike
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Re: So...what animal is gonna kill you in Australia?

Postby Lols » 27 Nov 2018, 18:28

Geez, we truly do share this planet with "others".
And a couple days ago, we found shed snake skin under the Hills clothes line. Now where is it hiding?
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

spamone: Animal

Postby Aussie » 27 Nov 2018, 18:46

Right under your bed, Lols.

:bgrin
Aussie

Postby johnsmith » 27 Nov 2018, 19:33

I'm surprised to see dogs so far up the list.

:b
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Sallyally » 28 Nov 2018, 05:14

Mosquito. Sort of animal.
Sallyally
puppy

Postby SethBullock » 28 Nov 2018, 05:48

Lols wrote:Geez, we truly do share this planet with "others".
And a couple days ago, we found shed snake skin under the Hills clothes line. Now where is it hiding?

Curled up in your toilet.
"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty

"There's only one solution: MORE guns!" - greggerypeccary

... "mr know it all" - Bongalong
SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby Lols » 28 Nov 2018, 09:09

@ Aussie and Seth, thanks heaps for that! :roll great advice, terrific even!
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby Texan » 28 Nov 2018, 09:40

We seem to have more dog maulings than any other creature attacking. Most of the attacks are in South Dallas, where thug wannabes get a pitbull to look tough or fight dogs for sport. These idiots get tired of abusing their dog and it runs away and attacks somebody. Happens about twice a year in Dallas.

Dogs don't scare me. What scares me are water moccasins. Semi aquatic vipers. They are very aggressive and very quiet. I was fishing with my sons when they were about 6 and 8. A water moccasin started swimming straight at us with his mouth open from about 15 meters away. We dropped our poles and I grabbed my boys hands and we walked away. I returned a few minutes later to collect the gear.

At least a rattle snake will give you a warning.
Texan
Cheetah

Postby SethBullock » 28 Nov 2018, 12:33

Texan wrote:We seem to have more dog maulings than any other creature attacking. Most of the attacks are in South Dallas, where thug wannabes get a pitbull to look tough or fight dogs for sport. These idiots get tired of abusing their dog and it runs away and attacks somebody. Happens about twice a year in Dallas.

Dogs don't scare me. What scares me are water moccasins. Semi aquatic vipers. They are very aggressive and very quiet. I was fishing with my sons when they were about 6 and 8. A water moccasin started swimming straight at us with his mouth open from about 15 meters away. We dropped our poles and I grabbed my boys hands and we walked away. I returned a few minutes later to collect the gear.

At least a rattle snake will give you a warning.

I visited your fair state a couple of years ago to do some feral pig hunting. It wasn't really "hunting". It was "ambushing" from an elevated blind. Our guide told us to continually look down as we walked to or from his vehicle to the blind because of the concern about water moccasins. Believe me, I did as I was told, and a lot of this "ambushing" was done after dark, so I used a flashlight and walked slowly. :?

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby SethBullock » 28 Nov 2018, 12:56

Aussie wrote:Link.

You guys talk and talk and talk about all the violence in America, but at least America doesn't have man-eating cows and horses.

And WTF are all these man-eating "Mammals (other)"? Don't you want to know which "mammals (other)" are considering having you for a snack?

And WTF is a "non-venomous" insect sting that causes people to fall over dead by the thousands in Australia. (OK, so it's only 8.) In the U.S. venomous insects sting you or bite you and inject venom, not non-venomous insects.

I'm getting the distinct impression that your little island paradise has got some bad shit you're not telling us about. Freaking man-eating horses, undefined man-eating mammals, and insects that are so badass they don't even need venom to sting you to death.

Holy shit! :scare

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby Dax » 28 Nov 2018, 14:25

SethBullock wrote:

You guys talk and talk and talk about all the violence in America, but at least America doesn't have man-eating cows and horses.

And WTF are all these man-eating "Mammals (other)"? Don't you want to know which "mammals (other)" are considering having you for a snack?

And WTF is a "non-venomous" insect sting that causes people to fall over dead by the thousands in Australia. (OK, so it's only 8.) In the U.S. venomous insects sting you or bite you and inject venom, not non-venomous insects.

I'm getting the distinct impression that your little island paradise has got some bad shit you're not telling us about. Freaking man-eating horses, undefined man-eating mammals, and insects that are so badass they don't even need venom to sting you to death.

At least they don't carry guns
Dax
Cheetah

Postby Aussie » 28 Nov 2018, 14:26

Don't our cows have guns?

Aussie

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Nov 2018, 15:10

ahahahahahaha!

Cows with guns!

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 28 Nov 2018, 16:06

SethBullock wrote:

Yeah.....we can't even sleep in peace, you know. Snakes like warmth too, so ya gotta learn to share.

Link.

:bgrin
Aussie

Postby johnsmith » 28 Nov 2018, 20:28

SethBullock wrote:

you haven't heard the worst of it. We usually try not to tell potential f̶o̶o̶d̶ tourists
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Cracky » 01 Dec 2018, 00:21

It's the swaggies that worry me most with their beady eyes and questionable pedigree.
"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." Bruce Lee
Cracky
Jack Russell

Postby Cracky » 01 Dec 2018, 00:23

johnsmith wrote:
SethBullock wrote:

you haven't heard the worst of it. We usually try not to tell potential f̶o̶o̶d̶ tourists

Well played.
"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." Bruce Lee
Cracky
Jack Russell

Postby DonDeeHippy » 01 Dec 2018, 05:14

Cracky wrote:It's the swaggies that worry me most with their beady eyes and questionable pedigree.

Or the Visual and Aural Abuse cast By Bogan's :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby Dax » 01 Dec 2018, 05:51

The most deadly and destructive animal in Aus that is gonna kill you, is an ideological human and they kill just about everything they come across.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby DonDeeHippy » 01 Dec 2018, 06:42

yup those anti PC crusaders will beat u up if u don't make a racist joke or put women in their place every once in a while , at the very least a sarcastic comment about religion to conform :rofl :rofl :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby sherri » 01 Dec 2018, 06:47

SethBullock wrote:

What nonsense is this. man eating horses and cows? Naturally not. They will just kick you to death, you'll be buried intact (almost). Don't know what you're worried about really.

It's like this. We keep our dangerous stuff mainly out in the back of beyond. Stay in the city, you'll be fine (apart from the humans, that is)

Actually Aust is safe. I'd be more worried about USA. They have alligators and big brown bears that rip you apart and chase you (err, not in that order). And coyote things. I don't know what they do exactly but something bad, I bet.
And rattlesnakes.
Oh and opposums. Now we have cute little possums but on another board a Texan told us about opposums in his house. He had to shoot them in the kitchen, they are so vicious apparently. I don't know what it did to the opposums but I bet bullet hoes didn't improve the look of the cabinets.

It's a brave tourist who would venture to USA, I tell you. :?
sherri
puppy

Postby DonDeeHippy » 01 Dec 2018, 07:20

sherri wrote:
SethBullock wrote:

What nonsense is this. man eating horses and cows? Naturally not. They will just kick you to death, you'll be buried intact (almost). Don't know what you're worried about really.

It's like this. We keep our dangerous stuff mainly out in the back of beyond. Stay in the city, you'll be fine (apart from the humans, that is)

Actually Aust is safe. I'd be more worried about USA. They have alligators and big brown bears that rip you apart and chase you (err, not in that order). And coyote things. I don't know what they do exactly but something bad, I bet.
And rattlesnakes.
Oh and opposums. Now we have cute little possums but on another board a Texan told us about opposums in his house. He had to shoot them in the kitchen, they are so vicious apparently. I don't know what it did to the opposums but I bet bullet hoes didn't improve the look of the cabinets.

u Forgot Bigfoot :purple
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby sherri » 01 Dec 2018, 07:25

OMG yes, so I did.

To say nothing of the natural hazards. It's a well known fact all of Calif is due to fall into the ocean some time soon.

Think what a long & tedious swim back home that would be, especially if you hadn't packed your floatie.
sherri
puppy

Postby SethBullock » 01 Dec 2018, 07:25

sherri wrote:
SethBullock wrote:

And rattlesnakes.

Well, yes, we do have some dangerous critters here.

Welcome to Oregon.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby sherri » 01 Dec 2018, 07:31

Good grief, what's that thing?
We'll need to add it to the list.

Bet you don't get many hikers in Oregon. or not as many as there... used to be, put it that way.
sherri
puppy

Next

Return to Off Topic