The Handmaid's Tale

Casual chatting. Guest posting allowed.

Welcome to the various guests visiting here. Why not register? The real PA—a home away from home when OzPol is down.

Hot topic: Handmaid’s Tale



Just post here—don’t need to join.
.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Jun 2018, 13:37

Yeah. Cash hates everyone ATM I think.
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 49731
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Jun 2018, 05:29

I feel, for the first time, their true power.


A bit like:

I love Big Brother!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 49731
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Jun 2018, 17:59

Finished the book in the early hours of this morning.

Noticed that “the story” was mentioned—it became a story told by a Offred free somewhere on the underground railway.

Interesting: when females were forbidden to work and could not access their money what she thought about how Luke thought about that situation, becoming almost an owner of Offred (I can’t remember coming across her real name in the book.) Yet they, including Luke, decided to try and make a break for it.

Is the sect running Gilead the Episcopalians? (US version of the CoE.) Almost thought Catholic because of the attitudes to divorce, abortion etc.

Why did Gilead fail? Because women are needed in the workforce? Definitely one of the mistakes Hitler made–women are for children, church and kitchen.

It IS easy to cut of access to money if all money is electronic. Mind you, most money is in assets like real estate, shares, superannuation etc.
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 49731
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Jun 2018, 20:47

The historian giving a lecture on Gilead and Offred’s Tale doesn’t seem to have learned from what he has studied—some cheap antiwomen jokes i his lecture.
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 49731
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

Postby mothra » 06 Jun 2018, 12:36

HBS Guy wrote:Finished the book in the early hours of this morning.


Brilliant isn't? So pleased you enjoyed it.


HBS Guy wrote:Is the sect running Gilead the Episcopalians? (US version of the CoE.) Almost thought Catholic because of the attitudes to divorce, abortion etc.


Raised Catholic, i know very little about other Christian faiths other than that some are proper bonkers ... even for an ex-Catholic.

HBS Guy wrote:Why did Gilead fail? Because women are needed in the workforce? Definitely one of the mistakes Hitler made–women are for children, church and kitchen.

It IS easy to cut of access to money if all money is electronic. Mind you, most money is in assets like real estate, shares, superannuation etc.


I hope the series deals with the fall. It deals certainly with an active resistece.
User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 5366
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 18:47
spamone: Animal

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

Postby HBS Guy » 06 Jun 2018, 13:05

Well, the Mayday organisation, Nick arranging Offred’s rescue by fake Eyes.

But a Resistance by itself rarely succeeds—Yugoslavia in WWII and Cuba two rare exceptions.

Gilead a bit top heavy—Angels, Eyes etc. Doesn’t matter, not the real point of the book.

I will read it again soon.

Loved the Jezebel House, I suppose it was fitting that Moira ended up in it. That and a couple other smaller things (the Aunts reading and writing, etc) showed the deep hypocrisy innate in a theocracy.

Heh, loved the bit about Scrabble: I employed a woman for some years who was a Scrabble nut, into other trivia type things too.
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 49731
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Jun 2018, 23:55

Watching Ser 1 Ep 1.

Don’t remember an eye being plucked out but no matter, serious injury was done to one of the to-be Handmaidens.
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 49731
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

Postby greggerypeccary » 09 Jun 2018, 13:45

I'll have to start watching it soon.

I just noticed this on the SBS website:

"Season 1 expiring 30 June 2018."
greggerypeccary
Jaguar
 
Posts: 2151
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 15:52
spamone: Animal

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

Postby mothra » 09 Jun 2018, 13:53

greggerypeccary wrote:I'll have to start watching it soon.

I just noticed this on the SBS website:

"Season 1 expiring 30 June 2018."


Seriously, don't miss it.
User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 5366
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 18:47
spamone: Animal

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

Postby greggerypeccary » 09 Jun 2018, 13:56

mothra wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:I'll have to start watching it soon.

I just noticed this on the SBS website:

"Season 1 expiring 30 June 2018."


Seriously, don't miss it.


I'm into The Bridge right now, but I'll have to leave that for a bit and get onto THT - only 3 weeks left!
greggerypeccary
Jaguar
 
Posts: 2151
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 15:52
spamone: Animal

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

Postby mothra » 09 Jun 2018, 13:58

greggerypeccary wrote:
mothra wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:I'll have to start watching it soon.

I just noticed this on the SBS website:

"Season 1 expiring 30 June 2018."


Seriously, don't miss it.


I'm into The Bridge right now, but I'll have to leave that for a bit and get onto THT - only 3 weeks left!



How good is The Bridge? I love Saga.

But it can wait.
User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 5366
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 18:47
spamone: Animal

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

Postby greggerypeccary » 09 Jun 2018, 14:02

mothra wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:
mothra wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:I'll have to start watching it soon.

I just noticed this on the SBS website:

"Season 1 expiring 30 June 2018."


Seriously, don't miss it.


I'm into The Bridge right now, but I'll have to leave that for a bit and get onto THT - only 3 weeks left!



How good is The Bridge? I love Saga.

But it can wait.


She's great! Great show. I've watched 5 episodes.

I might tackle some THT this afternoon - there's a storm heading in, so don't feel much like driving anywhere anyway.
greggerypeccary
Jaguar
 
Posts: 2151
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 15:52
spamone: Animal

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

Postby mothra » 09 Jun 2018, 14:06

greggerypeccary wrote:
She's great! Great show. I've watched 5 episodes.

I might tackle some THT this afternoon - there's a storm heading in, so don't feel much like driving anywhere anyway.


If you regret it for even a second, i'll buy you a pony.
User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 5366
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 18:47
spamone: Animal

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

Postby greggerypeccary » 09 Jun 2018, 14:10

mothra wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:
She's great! Great show. I've watched 5 episodes.

I might tackle some THT this afternoon - there's a storm heading in, so don't feel much like driving anywhere anyway.


If you regret it for even a second, i'll buy you a pony.


I'd rather a middy :beer

(non-beer drinkers, from the eastern states, might not get that)
greggerypeccary
Jaguar
 
Posts: 2151
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 15:52
spamone: Animal

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

Postby mothra » 09 Jun 2018, 14:17

greggerypeccary wrote:
mothra wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:
She's great! Great show. I've watched 5 episodes.

I might tackle some THT this afternoon - there's a storm heading in, so don't feel much like driving anywhere anyway.


If you regret it for even a second, i'll buy you a pony.


I'd rather a middy :beer

(non-beer drinkers, from the eastern states, might not get that)


I once stooped a whole Melbourne bar dead by asking for an echo of Coopers.
User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 5366
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 18:47
spamone: Animal

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

Postby greggerypeccary » 09 Jun 2018, 14:22

mothra wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:
mothra wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:
She's great! Great show. I've watched 5 episodes.

I might tackle some THT this afternoon - there's a storm heading in, so don't feel much like driving anywhere anyway.


If you regret it for even a second, i'll buy you a pony.


I'd rather a middy :beer

(non-beer drinkers, from the eastern states, might not get that)


I once stooped a whole Melbourne bar dead by asking for an echo of Coopers.


Ah!

Haven't heard that for ages :bgrin
greggerypeccary
Jaguar
 
Posts: 2151
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 15:52
spamone: Animal

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Jun 2018, 14:35

I dunno if SA still has “butchers” (small glass of beer, 8oz? )Schooner 12 oz? Pint 15 oz.

Rarely drink away from home, glass of wine with a restaurant meal at most.
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 49731
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

Postby greggerypeccary » 09 Jun 2018, 14:56

HBS Guy wrote:I dunno if SA still has “butchers” (small glass of beer, 8oz? )Schooner 12 oz? Pint 15 oz.

Rarely drink away from home, glass of wine with a restaurant meal at most.


Here in Perth, back in the day, we had ponies, glasses, middies, and schooners.

Now we have pints - that are NOT a pint! - and glasses.

A lot of places are just calling them small, medium, and large now.

Costing, respectively, $10, $12, and $14.
greggerypeccary
Jaguar
 
Posts: 2151
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 15:52
spamone: Animal

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Jun 2018, 15:21

Expensive way to drink!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 49731
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

Postby mothra » 09 Jun 2018, 17:23

greggerypeccary wrote:
Now we have pints - that are NOT a pint! - and glasses.



Indeed. 325ml? Same as here?

You used to be able to get imperial pints in the Adelaide Uni tavern. I liked those.
User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 5366
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 18:47
spamone: Animal

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

Postby johnsmith » 09 Jun 2018, 17:25

had middy and schooners in the Gong

now in queensland we have a 'pot' WTF is a pot?

fucken banana benders can't get anything right
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Mastodon
 
Posts: 6545
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 22:39
spamone: Animal

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

Postby Aussie » 09 Jun 2018, 17:33

We also have 'handles.'

:bgrin
User avatar
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs
 
Posts: 7187
Joined: 13 Mar 2010, 18:25

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

Postby johnsmith » 09 Jun 2018, 17:39

Aussie wrote:We also have 'handles.'

:bgrin



what the fuck are handles? haven't come across that one before.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Mastodon
 
Posts: 6545
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 22:39
spamone: Animal

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

Postby Aussie » 09 Jun 2018, 17:57

Image
User avatar
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs
 
Posts: 7187
Joined: 13 Mar 2010, 18:25

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

Postby Aussie » 09 Jun 2018, 17:59

Same volume as a pot.
User avatar
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs
 
Posts: 7187
Joined: 13 Mar 2010, 18:25

PreviousNext

Return to Sand Pit

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests