The Handmaid's Tale

Casual chatting. Guest posting allowed.

Welcome to the various guests visiting here. Why not register? The real PA—a home away from home when OzPol is down.

Hot topic: Handmaid’s Tale

Just post here—don’t need to join.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

Postby johnsmith » 23 Jul 2018, 08:40

HBS Guy wrote:Parallels all over:

In a controversial case that involved the rights of illegal immigrants and their young children, a Guatemalan mother lost her effort today to get back the five-year old son who was taken away from her after her arrest on immigration charges and put up for adoption in Missouri despite her objections.

https://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/immigrant-mom-loses-effort-regain-son-us-parents/story?id=16803067

fucken disgraceful. How does this happen in the modern era? No one should have the right to take away someones child just for politics sake. The judge should hang his head in shame and everyone involved should be charged with kidnapping.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

spamone: Animal

Postby mothra » 23 Jul 2018, 10:13

HBS Guy wrote:Parallels all over:

In a controversial case that involved the rights of illegal immigrants and their young children, a Guatemalan mother lost her effort today to get back the five-year old son who was taken away from her after her arrest on immigration charges and put up for adoption in Missouri despite her objections.

https://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/immigrant-mom-loses-effort-regain-son-us-parents/story?id=16803067

Jesus! Where are all of the fucking lawyers? How is this happening?
mothra
Duck

Postby HBS Guy » 26 Jul 2018, 23:26

And cods is stupid enough to think, despite my use of the word “dystopia,” that I approve of Gilead. Stupid and vile old bitch!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby agnes » 27 Jul 2018, 01:19

I saved that comment- ^^^^ I wonder what I coud do wtith it?
agnes

Postby Agnes » 27 Jul 2018, 01:21

I saved that comment^^^ I wonder what I could do with it ?
Agnes

Postby agnes » 27 Jul 2018, 01:38

I think you owe our dear cods an apology- ?
agnes

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Jul 2018, 02:18

I think she owes me one.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 27 Jul 2018, 08:15

agnes wrote:I saved that comment- ^^^^ I wonder what I coud do wtith it?

I can make a few suggestions but you probably won't like them.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Jul 2018, 10:25

My synopsis of the Tale in reply to cods:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1530339060/37#37
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby mothra » 27 Jul 2018, 11:17

Monk, you are a good man with a tremendous amount of respect for women. I hope you aren't hurt by Cods' nasty words. I know exactly your thoughts and feelings on the profoundly significant themes raised by this show and they are compassionate and entirely appropriate.

It was a cheap shot by Cods ... made with ignorance to do nothing more than wound.

I hope my opinion weighs more heavily on you. It is certainly more informed.
mothra
Duck

Postby mothra » 27 Jul 2018, 11:20

agnes wrote:I saved that comment- ^^^^ I wonder what I coud do wtith it?

I imagine you will use it to cause pain, discord and hostility.

I feel very sorry for you that such things inspire you. It's doing you absolutely no favours.
mothra
Duck

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Jul 2018, 11:23

mothra wrote:Monk, you are a good man with a tremendous amount of respect for women. I hope you aren't hurt by Cods' nasty words. I know exactly your thoughts and feelings on the profoundly significant themes raised by this show and they are compassionate and entirely appropriate.

It was a cheap shot by Cods ... made with ignorance to do nothing more than wound.

I hope my opinion weighs more heavily on you. It is certainly more informed.

No, I was just angry that she made that cheap shot, especially as we had a fair bit of email correspondence so she would know Gilead is not my ideal!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 06 Sep 2018, 01:27

Heh:

Kevin Daley @KevinDaleyDC Sep 4 More

The scene outside Judge Kavanaugh’s confirmation hearing this morning. #SCOTUS

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Sprintcyclist » 06 Sep 2018, 08:12

Is that dreadful hateful violent program still going ?
Sprintcyclist
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 06 Sep 2018, 09:02

No, those are women protesting the appointment of a reactionary judge who will make the lot of women worse, remove their right to control their own bodies (Roe v Wade) be for more guns and so make the US a bit more like Gilead, a theocracy and patriarchy.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Sep 2018, 03:59

Gilead takes a step closer:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/entry/brett-kavanaugh-birth-control_us_5b917b79e4b0162f472b3cb8

“Kavanaugh referred to birth control ― something more than 95 percent of women use in their lifetime ― as an ‘abortion-inducing drug,’ which is not just flat-out wrong, but is anti-woman, anti-science propaganda.”
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Sprintcyclist » 08 Sep 2018, 09:19

HBS Guy wrote:Gilead takes a step closer:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/entry/brett-kavanaugh-birth-control_us_5b917b79e4b0162f472b3cb8

“Kavanaugh referred to birth control ― something more than 95 percent of women use in their lifetime ― as an ‘abortion-inducing drug,’ which is not just flat-out wrong, but is anti-woman, anti-science propaganda.”

' .......... Is that dreadful hateful violent program still going ? ...... '

Seems hateful to me.
I saw about 40 minutes of it, turned it off.
Oppression, violence, fear and hate - not my thing.
Sprintcyclist
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Sep 2018, 12:01

It is the violence of a patriarchic theocracy, Sprint. Fertile women are a commodity, guarded and traded from household to household. Doctors who may have performed abortions back when it was still legal are hung by the regime. Putting out eyes, female genital mutilation because a woman was a lesbian so this way she would not enjoy sapphic sex etc. Women are not allowed to read and young girls are not educated in anything bar looking after a household for when she is compulsorily married to a Guard.

It is a dark and violent film, VERY unpleasant to watch so I do not wonder that you turned it off, Sprint. No blame for that/.

I watched it (on SBS streaming) and every time the ad breaks came on I would do something else for 10-15 minutes. I read the book as well. The reason is I have watched the growth of Gilead in the US: legal, safe abortion being forbidden, clinics closed. Not just abortion but all sorts of womens health services closed down. We have seen employers thinking they can dictate that their female employees cannot have contraceptives provided in the company health plan. We have also seen Repugs gerrymander their House of Reps electorates and, increasingly, disenfranchise voters, especially women especially colored and Hispanic voters.

Gilead coming by stealth. Here we have a Lib party chocful of Catholics with a happy clapper at the helm—and mutterings in some states of not decriminalising abortion etc. No abortion services in all of Tassie.

I would hate to see my nieces and great and great great nieces be made subservient, unable to decide on their reproductive health. My mother came from a family of ten. Don’t want that shit again, thanks. Mum’s feet are deformed—no money so she wore shoes that were too small for her.

So I watched it, second season too and will watch the third season too.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Sprintcyclist » 08 Sep 2018, 20:11

HBS Guy wrote:It is the violence of a patriarchic theocracy, Sprint. Fertile women are a commodity, guarded and traded from household to household. Doctors who may have performed abortions back when it was still legal are hung by the regime. Putting out eyes, female genital mutilation because a woman was a lesbian so this way she would not enjoy sapphic sex etc. Women are not allowed to read and young girls are not educated in anything bar looking after a household for when she is compulsorily married to a Guard.

It is a dark and violent film, VERY unpleasant to watch so I do not wonder that you turned it off, Sprint. No blame for that/.

I watched it (on SBS streaming) and every time the ad breaks came on I would do something else for 10-15 minutes. I read the book as well. The reason is I have watched the growth of Gilead in the US: legal, safe abortion being forbidden, clinics closed. Not just abortion but all sorts of womens health services closed down. We have seen employers thinking they can dictate that their female employees cannot have contraceptives provided in the company health plan. We have also seen Repugs gerrymander their House of Reps electorates and, increasingly, disenfranchise voters, especially women especially colored and Hispanic voters.

Gilead coming by stealth. Here we have a Lib party chocful of Catholics with a happy clapper at the helm—and mutterings in some states of not decriminalising abortion etc. No abortion services in all of Tassie.

I would hate to see my nieces and great and great great nieces be made subservient, unable to decide on their reproductive health. My mother came from a family of ten. Don’t want that shit again, thanks. Mum’s feet are deformed—no money so she wore shoes that were too small for her.

So I watched it, second season too and will watch the third season too.

......................... I would hate to see my nieces and great and great great nieces be made subservient, unable to decide on their reproductive health ....................

Hence, I did not watch it
I do not support such mistreatment of women
It is a woman haters show.
Take out the woman abuse, there is nothing else.

If anyone likes women, they should not support this show by watching it.
Sprintcyclist
Pitbull terrier

Postby johnsmith » 08 Sep 2018, 20:18

Sprintcyclist wrote:It is a woman haters show.

it takes the views of the conservanuts you support to it's conclusion
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Sep 2018, 20:49

Religious conservanuts.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Sprintcyclist » 08 Sep 2018, 21:28

I disagree with it so I don't watch it.

I certainly will oppose anyone who has vaguely similar ideas.
Sprintcyclist
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Sep 2018, 21:40

That is very good Sprint.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby mothra » 09 Sep 2018, 11:22

I wonder Sprint, are your sensibilities offended by 1984? Brave New World?

Or is it only when the focus is on women that you become uncomfortable with dystopian futures that serve to highlight problems in our own societies by exaggerating existent beliefs?
mothra
Duck

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Sep 2018, 12:31

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Sand Pit