What are you doing right now?

Casual chatting. Guest posting allowed.

Welcome to the various guests visiting here. Why not register? The real PA—a home away from home when OzPol is down.

Hot topic: Handmaid’s Tale

Just post here—don’t need to join.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.

Re: What are you doing right now?

Postby Lols » 30 Dec 2018, 10:37

HBS Guy wrote:Lovely story, Lady Lols, you did your Mum justice!

When my Mum dies I will have to leave everything to my sister, doubt I will be capable.

My sis in law's brothers were as she put it "hopeless" when her father passed away last year. It was the girls that did all the work.

And same with me, my bro was just so 'lost' and more emotional than us girls. Well, he did contribute, his effort, he chose two beers for the wake!! :beer
I had to stay up till 3 in the morning doing photos, and at times 1 am the earliest choosing songs. If he comes at me in the next course of future about which songs or photos he preferred instead of what I did (and I did forward it all on for approval etc),
he will know how scary his sister can be!!
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

spamone: Animal

Postby Lols » 30 Dec 2018, 10:49

SethBullock wrote:Thank you, Lols, for sharing so much. I remember the picture of yourself you used as an avatar for a while. And the resemblance with your mother is very strong.

Bless you.

Seth

Yes, when we were so young and lovely once upon a time, now we have aged, we change, still the same sort of eyes, and "I look in the mirror and what do I see, I see my mother's eyes looking back at me".

I think as we age, it's important to have beauty 'within'.
Well, one would hope so, except I'm supposed to be scary according to the 'loafy' bloke that handled the funeral. They knew my mum, and said they were a bit scared of her, of course, she was toughened up, had to be, and everyone knew where they stood with her. I said, I too was a bit scared of her!
Then, after all the 'fuck ups' as daughter and I were talking about, to the last minute, being told half the balloons 'escaped'.... :OMG
I heard, that the funeral bloke said, I am my mother's daughter, and a bit scary also, but in a modern way!!
Did I PMSL!

I was grieving, and tense, and not getting any sleep, and had to amend so many 'fuck ups' geez ......silly 'loafy' bloke! :smack
My daughter said last night, he came into a business already built up by his dad, so he had that 'rich kid syndrome' about him.
I said 'loafy' and she totally agreed!

Geez we are having some laughs about it all though. Humour is like a relief valve.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby SethBullock » 30 Dec 2018, 11:05

Lols wrote:
SethBullock wrote:Thank you, Lols, for sharing so much. I remember the picture of yourself you used as an avatar for a while. And the resemblance with your mother is very strong.

Bless you.

Seth

Yes, when we were so young and lovely once upon a time, now we have aged, we change, still the same sort of eyes, and "I look in the mirror and what do I see, I see my mother's eyes looking back at me".

I think as we age, it's important to have beauty 'within'.
Well, one would hope so, except I'm supposed to be scary according to the 'loafy' bloke that handled the funeral. They knew my mum, and said they were a bit scared of her, of course, she was toughened up, had to be, and everyone knew where they stood with her. I said, I too was a bit scared of her!
Then, after all the 'fuck ups' as daughter and I were talking about, to the last minute, being told half the balloons 'escaped'.... :OMG
I heard, that the funeral bloke said, I am my mother's daughter, and a bit scary also, but in a modern way!!
Did I PMSL!

I was grieving, and tense, and not getting any sleep, and had to amend so many 'fuck ups' geez ......silly 'loafy' bloke! :smack
My daughter said last night, he came into a business already built up by his dad, so he had that 'rich kid syndrome' about him.
I said 'loafy' and she totally agreed!

Geez we are having some laughs about it all though. Humour is like a relief valve.

Somehow, I can't imagine you being "scary". No way, not a chance.

And yes, humor is a relief valve. And there is no doubt in my mind that your mum would want all of her children to live on, to laugh, and to simply remember her with love and fondness.

Thank you for sharing so much.

Seth
"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty

"There's only one solution: MORE guns!" - greggerypeccary

... "mr know it all" - Bongalong
SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 30 Dec 2018, 14:40

Well, I am back from a long and only partly (and incidentally) successful drive/shopping expedition.

Drinking a nice beer to relax and recover from that.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 30 Dec 2018, 15:47

SethBullock wrote:Somehow, I can't

:OMG :OMG

you don't know many Italian women do you? :roll :roll :roll
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby mothra » 30 Dec 2018, 16:22

johnsmith wrote:

Whereas Irish-Australian women, like me, are very docile and compliant.

True.
mothra
Duck

Postby Aussie » 30 Dec 2018, 16:27

mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

True.

Good....gimme a beer and a toasted ham cheese tomato sammich and be quick about it! Then take the dog for a walk before it shits on the carpet. We'll discuss dinner later.

:bgrin
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby mothra » 30 Dec 2018, 16:28

Aussie wrote:
mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

True.

Good....gimme a beer and a toasted ham cheese tomato sammich and be quick about it! Then take the dog for a walk before it shits on the carpet. We'll discuss dinner later.

First, drink this tea.
mothra
Duck

Postby Aussie » 30 Dec 2018, 16:30

After you, Dear.....then get that VB, the sammich and walk the bloody dog......if you can.

Aussie

Postby johnsmith » 30 Dec 2018, 18:40

mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

True.

You've got nothing on Italian women. I told my mum at a very young age that I would never marry an Italian. They're crazy when they're upset :OMG
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Lols » 30 Dec 2018, 20:21

johnsmith wrote:
mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

True.

You've got nothing on Italian women. I told my mum at a very young age that I would never marry an Italian. They're crazy when they're upset :OMG

Now John, say it with a smile, and you'll be right mate!
Remember the earlier conversation I wrote about having a stanley knife in my bag? :thumb
Because it was on special at a hardware store of course, and I just plain forgot about it being in there, but, if I was in the USA, now that would be different, not a stanley knife, a nice little gun would suffice :B :nah
The only thing that gets to me, is when I am paying tens of $$$$ for some funeral service, and they, as my daughter puts it, 'made a lot of fuck ups'.....and I had to be in 'correctamundo mood'......
The only 'scarey' thing about that was, their guilt of not being more attentive to the finer details, and being brought to attention to them, I did say to the funeral parlour bloke, "the devil's in the details!"
I mean, they asked me if we needed any jewellry off mum (after she passed away) and we said no, let it stay on her.
Then, at viewing night, handing back the rose pj's and jewellry in a bag, us girls all freaked, and said, it's supposed to stay on her! So we went and put in on mum's little cost wrist as she lay in state. :S
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby johnsmith » 31 Dec 2018, 14:22

I'm always smiling lols :bgrin

Funerals have become a multi million dollar business. Did you know that many of our funeral homes in this country are owned by one multinational? Sure, there are many different names on the shop front, but if you look past the shop front it's all 'Invocare'.

There is a great doco based on a local community in Port Kembla called 'TENDER' that is attempting to change how we do funerals, to make them not only cheaper but more 'green'. For example, they want to do away with coffins, or at least swap to cardboard coffins, and rather than a tombstone, they plant a tree over your grave.

I recommend you watch the doco, although you may want to wait a while before doing so. I imagine the timing isn't quite right for you now given what you've just gone through. It was very interesting and informative even if you aren't interested in more green funerals. I originally only watched it for the scenery, I grew up in that area. I even know some of the people in the doco. Attended many a billy kart derby on the main street of Port Kembla when I was younger.
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Aussie » 31 Dec 2018, 14:36

Funerals are off the Planet with cost, and it is all just sheer bullshit. When I fall off the perch.....toss the cadaver to the vultures, raid my bank accounts and have a good piss up. Do not pay a cent to funeral people. Is that clear? When the vultures have picked the bones clean, gather them up, burn them and plonk what's left........dunno yet.

:bike
Aussie

Postby johnsmith » 31 Dec 2018, 14:43

Aussie wrote: Is that clear? [/i].

Crystal

PM me your account details and passwords so that I can abide by your wishes :giggle :giggle
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Aussie » 31 Dec 2018, 15:00

johnsmith wrote:

Crystal

PM me your account details and passwords so that I can abide by your wishes :giggle :giggle

Yer gonna have to be quick. TIB is ready to pounce.
Aussie

Postby HBS Guy » 31 Dec 2018, 15:12

Wish I could be buried in my orchard. AFTER I am dead, of course. Vertical burial. Will have the best apple trees in Tassie!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 31 Dec 2018, 15:16

Aussie wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

Crystal

I'm still waiting for that PM
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 31 Dec 2018, 16:01

I am making oliebollen. The batter is made, leaving it to rise then sour apple, sultanas and raisins will be added, and likely a bit of allspice, let it prove then deepfry.

Really MUCH more suited to deep winter in Holland than deep summer in Australia but I am getting more sentimental about childhood things.

Was in Yankalilla earlier. The second hand shop (really can’t call it an antique shop) there had a school desk.Actually, had two. Might go back there Wednesday and buy one: be useful in Tassie, put the little portable gas stove on it to make a cuppa, use it to make up a spray, etc. Think I might go back there Wednesday and buy one or both. Bought a nice light shade and 4 cookbooks there: $10 the lot.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 31 Dec 2018, 16:04

johnsmith wrote:
Aussie wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

Crystal

I'm still waiting for that PM

The details will sent to you on the occasion of my perch falling off. TIB promises she will do that. I don't want you pinching my cash before then.

Aussie

Postby johnsmith » 31 Dec 2018, 17:10

right now I'm getting high on the waft of the neighbors pot .... bloody hell, they must have a bonfire going with the stuff. I'm inside my place and still copping it.

In about 5 mins I'll be of to the beach for a picnic before the early NYE fireworks for the kids. Enjoy your evening people and stay out of trouble!
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Jan 2019, 15:06

Looked in the fridge earlier, Jesus Christ, cherries everywhere!

So I washed, destemmed, destoned etc over 2Kg cherries, stewed them in 1 wineglass red wine, 1 wineglass water, 3 cinnamon sticks, cloves, cardamom pods etc. Added zest and juice of a lime then canned them. Seven jars, about 3L.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lols » 01 Jan 2019, 16:56

johnsmith wrote:I'm always smiling lols :bgrin

Funerals have become a multi million dollar business. Did you know that many of our funeral homes in this country are owned by one multinational? Sure, there are many different names on the shop front, but if you look past the shop front it's all 'Invocare'.

There is a great doco based on a local community in Port Kembla called 'TENDER' that is attempting to change how we do funerals, to make them not only cheaper but more 'green'. For example, they want to do away with coffins, or at least swap to cardboard coffins, and rather than a tombstone, they plant a tree over your grave.

I recommend you watch the doco, although you may want to wait a while before doing so. I imagine the timing isn't quite right for you now given what you've just gone through. It was very interesting and informative even if you aren't interested in more green funerals. I originally only watched it for the scenery, I grew up in that area. I even know some of the people in the doco. Attended many a billy kart derby on the main street of Port Kembla when I was younger.

You know something, it sounds like a great idea, that we all plant a tree above ourselves, and this will save a lot of earth space, and do good for the planet. I will look at that doco.
My dad is buried up in Dromana, near Arthurt's Seat, with the best view of Port Phillip Bay, and I think, geez, what a waste of good real estate for a cemetary, with a view like that!!!!
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby Lols » 01 Jan 2019, 17:04

What we did today, we went and had a look at a tractor hubby wants.
Then in Healesville, went to Beechworth Bakery to have a cinnamon donut (for me) , a jam donut, a flat white, and a cuppacino, an the bill was nearly $17 !!!!

I had to look at the receipt, it was an extra .60 ea for the mug, some other service charge, gst and something else, coming to that much?

Must the public holiday surcharge thing.

Anyway, the donuts were really fresh. Coffee not so great, for an Italian ascendant, I thought the coffee was too milky, not enough oomph with coffee.

Then went to look at some shops that were open, and saw some amazing beautiful hanging lights, all hand glass blown, in the thousand$$$..wow, what an art piece they are!

Anyway, saw the Healseville Hotel and the back garden with food being cooked, and it looked splendid, might do a birthday bash there.

Going to go see Aquaman at the cinema tonight.

Will let you know what I think of the movie.
Cheers for now!
ps...I played yahtzee and won last year :giggle
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby Texan » 02 Jan 2019, 05:45

I just put a log in the fireplace. It's not quite below freezing, but we are expecting a little bit of snow this week. Nothing will stick, but it will be nice.
Texan
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Jan 2019, 07:57

I remember snow from my childhood in Holland. Dreadful stuff.

By the time I would leave for school it had been ploughed so you had these berms of white and black stuff alongside the footpaths, slippery to cross. Not like Christmass card snow!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Sand Pit