What are you doing right now?

Casual chatting. Guest posting allowed.

Welcome to the various guests visiting here. Why not register? The real PA—a home away from home when OzPol is down.

Hot topic: Handmaid’s Tale

Just post here—don’t need to join.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.

Re: What are you doing right now?

Postby HBS Guy » 17 Jan 2019, 06:02

If an investment went bad and the company went broke there should at least be a letter from the liquidator of that company.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lols » 18 Jan 2019, 00:40

HBS Guy wrote:If an investment went bad and the company went broke there should at least be a letter from the liquidator of that company.

This is what I am going to casually investigate in my own way and my own time, and see what adds up, and what doesn't.

Let me tell you about some big losses that have happened, a big company of some sort, to do with superannuation and investing it, bought this 2 acre prime property across the road from the beach, on the esplanade in Hervey Bay.

I think some high rise apartments or whatever, was going to be built.

Some time goes by, and then some type of big downturn in the economy for some reason that effects Hervey Bay more.

The property that was initially bought for $8 million, ended up losing it's value, and the superannuation company sold it for about $2.5 million.

Things like that are the talk of the town!

I can't for the life of me, work out why it's so shit the real estate at Hervey Bay. It is a lovely area, new extended shopping plaza, new extended hospitals, the RSL have renovated and extended, and the shopping is excellent there, and the value of eating out amazing.

The whale watching capital of the world, with Fraser Island, being the worlds largest sand island, and still, prices are slumped.

I am sick and tired of real estate letters telling me that they are short of properties to sell, then when I make an enquiry, it's the opposite I get told.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

spamone: Animal

Postby johnsmith » 18 Jan 2019, 18:12

Lols wrote:I can't for the life of me, work out why it's so shit the real estate at Hervey Bay.

It's a crap area. I spent a weekend there once, I didn't like it one bit.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Aussie » 18 Jan 2019, 18:49

johnsmith wrote:
Lols wrote:I can't for the life of me, work out why it's so shit the real estate at Hervey Bay.

It's a crap area. I spent a weekend there once, I didn't like it one bit.

Agree. Full of geriatrics, looks great at high tide......absolute crap at low tide. Just mud flats.
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Jan 2019, 08:18

Who bought the land from the superannuation company?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 19 Jan 2019, 12:50

I worked today and then drove 36 miles home through an absolutely torrential rain storm. I actually thought about you guys as I drove through this torrent, wishing I could give it to your poor rivers and dying fish.

I'm eating dinner right now, having a Deschutes Porter (my third and final beer for the night), having already corrected some of the wrong political statements made on this site while I was at work - during the first two beers. :smack

For this service, I figure you guys owe me for two beers.

Cheers! :beer
"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty

"There's only one solution: MORE guns!" - greggerypeccary

... "mr know it all" - Bongalong
SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Jan 2019, 16:24

I am on my third beer so you are golden!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby greggerypeccary » 19 Jan 2019, 17:03

I'm on my 4th.

40 degrees here in Perth at the moment, so I'm just relaxing in the air con, watching some Netflix, and sinking a few brewskies.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby Dax » 19 Jan 2019, 17:32

I put new rear brake cylinders on my neighbours car, she got quoted over $200 to supply and fit them. Got both cylinders for $25, took me an hour and charged her a lovely meal and should arrive very soon. Then I fixed her brushcutter, made 100lt of fuel and started putting the new spare wheel carrier together for my cruiser. In another hour the crew will arrive and we will play and record music into the wee hours, which is always excellent fun.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby greggerypeccary » 19 Jan 2019, 19:24

Dax wrote:I put new rear brake cylinders on my neighbours car, she got quoted over $200 to supply and fit them. Got both cylinders for $25, took me an hour and charged her a lovely meal and should arrive very soon. Then I fixed her brushcutter, made 100lt of fuel and started putting the new spare wheel carrier together for my cruiser. In another hour the crew will arrive and we will play and record music into the wee hours, which is always excellent fun.

I'm gonna go buy this tomorrow:

https://www.conceptmusic.com.au/electric-guitars-and-amps/electric-guitars/fender-american-performer-telecaster-satin-surf-green

I have several Teles, but none with a humbucker.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby greggerypeccary » 19 Jan 2019, 19:37

greggerypeccary wrote:I'm on my 4th.

40 degrees here in Perth at the moment, so I'm just relaxing in the air con, watching some Netflix, and sinking a few brewskies.

41 forecast for tomorrow,

I'm gonna pop out in the morning, buy that guitar, then come back home and play it all day in AC'd comfort.

Might watch a new series on Netflix or Stan.

Any suggestions?
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby Lols » 20 Jan 2019, 13:31

HBS Guy wrote:Who bought the land from the superannuation company?

Two things I want to find out next, who sold it to the superannuation company and made a bonza!
And who bought it from the superannuation company for a bargain!

Funny if it was the same person/business eh?

I will nosey around once I am up there to see what is happening with it all.

As for being a 'crap' area, like some say, I think it's a go ahead area, with so much going for it, and so many houses being built, it's escalating in the population stakes.

Also, remember some time ago, a type of comparison on TV, about the happiest place to live, and the unhappiest place to live in Australia?
Well guess what, the happiest place came up to be Hervey Bay!!
And the unhappiest....Sydney!!
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby Aussie » 20 Jan 2019, 13:49

Good mate of mine dropped $M1 to get out of an investment he had made there in real estate.
Aussie

Postby Lols » 20 Jan 2019, 14:00

Aussie wrote:Good mate of mine dropped $M1 to get out of an investment he had made there in real estate.

We just lost $100,000 on a block of land, with views of the fraser coast and island, just took too long to sell, and was costing us years of mowing monthly, and fence fixing, and rates!!

So now I am told, it's a good place to go and live, as houses are so affordable, but not a good place to invest.

Oh so now they tell me, after 10 years!
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby Aussie » 20 Jan 2019, 14:39

Lols wrote:
Aussie wrote:Good mate of mine dropped $M1 to get out of an investment he had made there in real estate.

We just lost $100,000 on a block of land, with views of the fraser coast and island, just took too long to sell, and was costing us years of mowing monthly, and fence fixing, and rates!!

So now I am told, it's a good place to go and live, as houses are so affordable, but not a good place to invest.

The reason it is so affordable now is that people are bailing to get out of it. Hervey Bay, as I said, is great at high tide, stinking mud flats at low tide. Midgies everybloodywhere. The Sandy Strait (the water between the Coast and Fraser) is barely navigable other than at high tide.
Aussie

Postby Lols » 20 Jan 2019, 15:12

Aussie wrote:
Lols wrote:

The reason it is so affordable now is that people are bailing to get out of it. Hervey Bay, as I said, is great at high tide, stinking mud flats at low tide. Midgies everybloodywhere. The Sandy Strait (the water between the Coast and Fraser) is barely navigable other than at high tide.

Those that thought it was a good investment some 10 or more years ago, are losing, as there are that many new housing estates springing up all over the place and so cheap and affordable. The existing homes are struggling to be sold, yet, I get these letters from real estate agents saying they are running short of homes to sell, and have sold homes in record amount of times of late.
I also get told by many of the real estate agents over the last few years...."People can't afford to buy homes in Hervey Bay, that's why no houses are selling"
And my question to them now is...'If that is so, then why are they building all these new housing estates and people buying them? Whose buying them then?"

Good question I get told.

The hospital has expanded, big time, and so too has the huge shopping centre!

Something tells me, there is a misinformation of information going on and that the truth is, no one really knows what is going on.

I tell many of the RE agents, they are too negative when it comes to selling, their attitude shows lack of confidence. It's all in the attitude when it comes to promoting an area, the beach is a safe harbour for families with children, and it is that way because of the protection from the Fraser Island.

Rosebud West, now changed it's name to Capel Sound, is exactly the same as Hervey Bay beach, low tide out, and I never liked it....but, the property prices there have boomed exponetially.

The whole of the Mornington Peninsula did suffer the worst property depression at one stage, no one wanted any of it, prices beach front, were going under the $200,000, now, they are over the $2 million mark. I had a block of land, sold it for less than what it was bought for there, it was $80,000 to buy, and sold for $40,000....did use the capital loss against any income we had to lessen any tax to pay.
Then, that block of land went to the $600,000 mark. (yes, I am kicking myself). It was near the Martha Cove Marina.

The times and tides seem to ebb and flow with the beach it seems?

I get this feeling, HB is going to have a big growth spurt, when, I don't know, but I feel something is going to happen soon......whether the tide is in, or out.
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby johnsmith » 24 Jan 2019, 18:09

I picked up my first ever pair of reading glasses today.

Damn, I'm getting old. :grn

Funnily enough, the writing on the screen is so much clearer now :giggle
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby johnsmith » 24 Jan 2019, 18:13

Lols wrote:I tell many of the RE agents, they are too negative when it comes to selling, their attitude shows lack of confidence.

they're doing better than the agents I come across. I often attend open houses (i'm a sticky beak, so sue me :yellow ) and I figure that about 8 times out of 10, whilst I'm looking the agent spends the whole time playing on his phone rather than trying to sell me the house. They're hopeless. I've sold a few houses in the last few years and when I show people through, I spend all the time showing/ talking up them the features of the property.
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Texan » 25 Jan 2019, 08:19

johnsmith wrote:I picked up my first ever pair of reading glasses today.

I've managed to avoid readers. I'm nearsighted in one eye and far sighted in the other. I've learned to ignore my weak eye whether up close or far away. It works for me.

We are about to go see my FIL. He quit eating, so he is back on hospice. He won't last much more than another week at this rate. It hasn't hit Mrs. Texan yet, but it will. She spends most of her nights with him. It sucks getting old, but 89 years and 69 years of marriage was a good run. My in laws married in 1949.
Texan
Cheetah

Postby SethBullock » 25 Jan 2019, 11:30

Texan wrote:

I've managed to avoid readers. I'm nearsighted in one eye and far sighted in the other. I've learned to ignore my weak eye whether up close or far away. It works for me.

We are about to go see my FIL. He quit eating, so he is back on hospice. He won't last much more than another week at this rate. It hasn't hit Mrs. Texan yet, but it will. She spends most of her nights with him. It sucks getting old, but 89 years and 69 years of marriage was a good run. My in laws married in 1949.

Didn't mention it online, but I've just gone through this. Blessings to the both of you.

Seth
"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty

"There's only one solution: MORE guns!" - greggerypeccary

... "mr know it all" - Bongalong
SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 25 Jan 2019, 12:57

I went through something similar with my father. I made him a smoothy and he drank some of it tho doubtless thinking it was poofy. Made some bitterballen (little spiced meatballs) and he ate two and Mum coaxed him to eat another one or two. Vigils at night. Got called at work, took self and niece working for me home, he died as we walked in. Called my younger sis, she came in and asked “How is he” and I told her “He is dead.”

Not fun.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Sprintcyclist » 25 Jan 2019, 13:02

HBS Guy wrote:I went through something similar with my father. I made him a smoothy and he drank some of it tho doubtless thinking it was poofy. Made some bitterballen (little spiced meatballs) and he ate two and Mum coaxed him to eat another one or two. Vigils at night. Got called at work, took self and niece working for me home, he died as we walked in. Called my younger sis, she came in and asked “How is he” and I told her “He is dead.”

Not fun.

ow, sorry to hear that.
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby Sprintcyclist » 25 Jan 2019, 13:02

SethBullock wrote:
Texan wrote:

Didn't mention it online, but I've just gone through this. Blessings to the both of you.

Seth

My thoughts are with you both
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 25 Jan 2019, 18:42

Texan wrote:

Sorry to hear that. Take care of Mrs Texan

69 yrs of marriage? Good on him. That sort of stuff is becoming more and more rare. I promised my wife at least 50 yrs of torment, I've got 39 to go.

I tried to avoid the glasses but my new job requires me to sometimes read really small barcode numbers. I had no choice. C'est la vie.
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Lols » 25 Jan 2019, 21:29

Sprintcyclist wrote:
SethBullock wrote:
Texan wrote:

Seth

My thoughts are with you both

Really sorry to read that, and my condolences and heartfelt thoughts xx

I'm having those times I think I am okay, and then I have a huge meltdown and want to just hide and cry.

One thing I want to write here, is that I appreciate that I can be able to come in here and write what I am either going through, or feeling, it's comforting to know we are not alone. I go out, do some food shopping at a supermarket, and avoid any eye contact or smiles or greetings that may happen, I just don't feel like conversing, all bottled up, putting up a good front doing daily chores, but then I need to just fall to pieces, so then I can pick them up and put them together again.

Something wonderful happened a couple of days ago, quite amazing really, my brother (whom we had a big fall out with over 20 years ago), was showing me how he watered mum's garden, and then, a whole lot of white butterflies came and fluttered around. I thought, where did they all come from? Never seen so many all at once, hovering around me and the garden.
My brother looked in amazement and said...."They came with you!!"
Made me feel like the movie Avatar.....where the tree spirits came gently fluttering around...what do we know, there is so much between earth and the infinity. Pay attention to it. Grief is a pure form of love also.

Lols
Pitbull terrier

PreviousNext

Return to Sand Pit