What are you doing right now?

Casual chatting. Guest posting allowed.

Welcome to the various guests visiting here. Why not register? The real PA—a home away from home when OzPol is down.

Hot topic: Handmaid’s Tale

Just post here—don’t need to join.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.

Re: What are you doing right now?

Postby Tally » 26 Jan 2019, 10:06

Texan wrote:
johnsmith wrote:I picked up my first ever pair of reading glasses today.

Damn, I'm getting old. :grn

Funnily enough, the writing on the screen is so much clearer now :giggle

I've managed to avoid readers. I'm nearsighted in one eye and far sighted in the other. I've learned to ignore my weak eye whether up close or far away. It works for me.

We are about to go see my FIL. He quit eating, so he is back on hospice. He won't last much more than another week at this rate. It hasn't hit Mrs. Texan yet, but it will. She spends most of her nights with him. It sucks getting old, but 89 years and 69 years of marriage was a good run. My in laws married in 1949.

My thoughts and prayers to you.
Luceat Lux Vestra
Tally
Jack Russell

spamone: Animal

Postby Tally » 26 Jan 2019, 10:09

Australia day. Best day of the year to stay home and read a book, clean the oven, rearrange the sock draw or anything to stay away from the yobbos and jingoistic patriotism.
Luceat Lux Vestra
Tally
Jack Russell

Postby SethBullock » 26 Jan 2019, 13:24

Tally wrote:Australia day. Best day of the year to stay home and read a book, clean the oven, rearrange the sock draw or anything to stay away from the yobbos and jingoistic patriotism.

"Yobbos" ??
"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty

"There's only one solution: MORE guns!" - greggerypeccary

... "mr know it all" - Bongalong
SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby mothra » 26 Jan 2019, 13:42

SethBullock wrote:
Tally wrote:Australia day. Best day of the year to stay home and read a book, clean the oven, rearrange the sock draw or anything to stay away from the yobbos and jingoistic patriotism.

"Yobbos" ??

Louts. Drunken boofheads.
mothra
Duck

Postby SethBullock » 26 Jan 2019, 14:02

mothra wrote:
SethBullock wrote:

"Yobbos" ??

Thanks.

I stay home on New Years Eve. Don't want to be driving with the yobbos on the road.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 26 Jan 2019, 14:22

SethBullock wrote:
mothra wrote:
SethBullock wrote:

"Yobbos" ??

Thanks.

I stay home on New Years Eve. Don't want to be driving with the yobbos on the road.

we'll make an Aussie out of you yet! :beer
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Tally » 26 Jan 2019, 19:01

SethBullock wrote:
mothra wrote:
SethBullock wrote:

"Yobbos" ??

Thanks.

I'd love to hear you say 'yobbo' in an American accent. :)
Luceat Lux Vestra
Tally
Jack Russell

Postby SethBullock » 27 Jan 2019, 01:59

Tally wrote:
SethBullock wrote:
mothra wrote:
SethBullock wrote:

"Yobbos" ??

Thanks.

I'd love to hear you say 'yobbo' in an American accent. :)

Yah-bo :roll

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby Aussie » 27 Jan 2019, 08:32

Yobbo as in Jobbo, Lobbo, Nobbo, Mobbo.
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Jan 2019, 18:02

Could probably record it and post it here.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lols » 30 Jan 2019, 23:55

What am I doing right now, just enjoying the coolness of the rain we finally got after it being so hot and dry.
The thunder and lightening activity was astounding tonight!! What a show!
My son drove home in the torrential rain this arvo, and he said there was a metre of water flooding the roads in some areas.
He parked in a safe driveway of someone's home for about half hour until the storm eased up.
Thank goodness he is okay and eventually got home okay. I said stopping safely was a very good idea.
So glad the grounds are soaked with rain and worry about bushfires have definitly eased now.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 31 Jan 2019, 02:02

I was driving home from Mt Gambier once at night in really heavy rain, visibility was only 10 or 20 metres. I would have stopped but had noticed the lights of a car behind us and if I pulled over to the side the car would have bogged instantly—had been raining all week. Not a fun drive at all.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 31 Jan 2019, 15:04

Lols wrote: just enjoying the coolness of the rain we finally got after it being so hot and dry.

rain what rain? send some here.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Lols » 31 Jan 2019, 19:37

johnsmith wrote:
Lols wrote: just enjoying the coolness of the rain we finally got after it being so hot and dry.

rain what rain? send some here.

Oh it's been bliss I tell ya, I almost forgot what it was like!
Been so lovely and cool today, was getting sick of feeling so clammy and hot and lazy!

Hopefully you get some up there soon, but not in the bucket loads!!
Tends to do that, the weather, either none, or too much!
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Feb 2019, 07:13

Just come in from pruning some of Mum’s roses. Poor dear, has let them go pretty bad. Never mind, I will prune then spray some anti-fungal spray—lots of black stems, looks fungal to me. Clear a horrible succulent that is invading the rose bed and I can spread some pig poo, compost and a thick layer of straw then in winter cut them right back to stumps and they should be OK. The power of pig poo is awesome!

Probably do a follow up spray of fish & seaweed, a foliar feed.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 03 Feb 2019, 13:49

Watching the movie “Open Range”. I’ve seen it before, but it’s a great movie about the old west.

Stars Robert Duvall and Kevin Costner.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby Aussie » 03 Feb 2019, 14:20

SethBullock wrote:Watching the movie “Open Range”. I’ve seen it before, but it’s a great movie about the old west.

Is that one of the many about fences as opposed to no fences? If so, I was always bored shitless with those movies.
Aussie

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Feb 2019, 16:12

Oh god.

Have pity.

Cooking chicken in aspic. Nice recipe, lots of time of simmering, cooling etc. The chicken is not the problem.

No, the chicken will be delicious and full flavored!

In between doing this and that I am in the lounge and the TV is on.

For our Yankee members, “The Alamo” is on. Starring, ugh! John fucking Wayne!

Hate that guy! Not only is he no actor he is a fucking hypocrite!

Now, I do not like the music of Elvis Presley BUT Elvis obeyed the draft and served his time (in safe European spots I was told but did serve his time.) Marion whatsisname, “John Wayne” did NOT serve his country in WWII, would have interfered with his career. That did not stop him encouraging youngsters to go serve in fucking Viet Nam!

Penance. For what I do not know!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 03 Feb 2019, 16:14

Aussie wrote:
SethBullock wrote:Watching the movie “Open Range”. I’ve seen it before, but it’s a great movie about the old west.

Is that one of the many about fences as opposed to no fences? If so, I was always bored shitless with those movies.

Some great cinematography, drama, and characters. Duvall portrays the role of "Boss" superbly, and Costner is his right hand man, a man with a dark past. It is a story of good vs evil, and, in the end, redemption. I think it is extremely well done all around.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby Texan » 03 Feb 2019, 16:19

We buried my FIL today. My son came down for the services. I think it helped his grandma to see him home in uniform. He brought his wife and baby. I didn't know whether to be sad or proud as I held my granddaughter during the services. My sons were all pall bearers and my wife sang one of my FIL's favorite songs. Because my FIL's Alzheimer's was so hard on us, it will be good to know that he is no longer suffering and our life can get back to a new normal. We had a good visit with dozens of my wife's family members. It always sucks to lose a loved one, but we are all confident that he is in a better place and took great comfort in that.
Texan
Cheetah

Postby Aussie » 03 Feb 2019, 16:48

:rose
Texan wrote:We buried my FIL today. My son came down for the services. I think it helped his grandma to see him home in uniform. He brought his wife and baby. I didn't know whether to be sad or proud as I held my granddaughter during the services. My sons were all pall bearers and my wife sang one of my FIL's favorite songs. Because my FIL's Alzheimer's was so hard on us, it will be good to know that he is no longer suffering and our life can get back to a new normal. We had a good visit with dozens of my wife's family members. It always sucks to lose a loved one, but we are all confident that he is in a better place and took great comfort in that.

:rose RIP :rose

And yes, Texan, he is far better where he is than here. Still, it sucks, major. Nice of your Son in uniform was there, and having Mrs Texan sing must have been tough but totally appropriate.

My next beer will include a toast to your FIL.

For Mrs Texan...... :beer
Aussie

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Feb 2019, 18:09

Yes, while my mother with dementia will die with just me here.

When I go to Tasmania in April by god it will be difficult not to just say “Fuck it, I like it here and will stay!”
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Tally » 03 Feb 2019, 20:04

Texan wrote:We buried my FIL today. My son came down for the services. I think it helped his grandma to see him home in uniform. He brought his wife and baby. I didn't know whether to be sad or proud as I held my granddaughter during the services. My sons were all pall bearers and my wife sang one of my FIL's favorite songs. Because my FIL's Alzheimer's was so hard on us, it will be good to know that he is no longer suffering and our life can get back to a new normal. We had a good visit with dozens of my wife's family members. It always sucks to lose a loved one, but we are all confident that he is in a better place and took great comfort in that.

So many wishes your way. I had a great aunt who died from Alzheimer's and it's a cruel disease.

I still call it Al's Hammer, any John Irving fans here? Irving did such a beautiful job (as he does with every topic he touches) in giving such a human perceptive of living with it.
Luceat Lux Vestra
Tally
Jack Russell

Postby pinkeye » 03 Feb 2019, 21:43

Aussie wrote::rose

:rose RIP :rose

And yes, Texan, he is far better where he is than here. Still, it sucks, major. Nice of your Son in uniform was there, and having Mrs Texan sing must have been tough but totally appropriate.

My next beer will include a toast to your FIL.

For Mrs Texan...... :beer

I raise a glass of red in toast to a life.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby johnsmith » 03 Feb 2019, 22:15

Sorry to hear that tex. At least he's in peace.

Just know that a part of him lives on in your wife, kids and granddaughter.
I too will raise a glass to him when I next have a beer.
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

PreviousNext

Return to Sand Pit