What are you doing right now?

Casual chatting. Guest posting allowed.

Welcome to the various guests visiting here. Why not register? The real PA—a home away from home when OzPol is down.

Hot topic: Handmaid’s Tale

Just post here—don’t need to join.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.

Re: What are you doing right now?

Postby SethBullock » 04 Feb 2019, 01:41

My sincere condolences, Texan, to you and your family.

Seth
"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty

"There's only one solution: MORE guns!" - greggerypeccary

... "mr know it all" - Bongalong
SethBullock
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Postby Texan » 04 Feb 2019, 06:45

Some volunteers provided a meal for the family after the burial. A distant relative didn’t know my wife very well. She saw my wife holding our granddaughter and my 17 year old was hugging his mom. The distant relative thought our 17 year old was her husband and our granddaughter was their baby. My wife immediately told the distant relative that she loved her.
Texan
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Feb 2019, 08:25

Yes, my condolences too.

Mum has dementia, dunno Alzheimers, but at 98 I hope the disease won’t have progressed so far that she has lost her personality by the time she does of old age.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Texan » 04 Feb 2019, 09:29

HBS Guy wrote:Yes, my condolences too.

Mum has dementia, dunno Alzheimers, but at 98 I hope the disease won’t have progressed so far that she has lost her personality by the time she does of old age.

My FIL was doing OK until he forgot that he shouldn't get out of his wheelchair and fell. Restraints are illegal here, or he would have been a perfect candidate for a wheelchair restraint. After that, he couldn't hardly talk and couldn't feed himself. He only lasted a month after the accident, because we had already decided that CPR, feeding tubes, and such would not be used. He made that decision before he lost his mind and we honored it. Sorry to hear about your Mum. It's a terrible condition.
Texan
Cheetah

Postby mothra » 04 Feb 2019, 13:04

Texan wrote:

My FIL was doing OK until he forgot that he shouldn't get out of his wheelchair and fell. Restraints are illegal here, or he would have been a perfect candidate for a wheelchair restraint. After that, he couldn't hardly talk and couldn't feed himself. He only lasted a month after the accident, because we had already decided that CPR, feeding tubes, and such would not be used. He made that decision before he lost his mind and we honored it. Sorry to hear about your Mum. It's a terrible condition.

So very often, it's a fall that causes the end game.

I'm so sorry for you and your family. Tell your wife that there are well wishes heading her way from Australia.

It matters little that it was on the cards. Losing your father is still a king hit .. at least i know it must be.
mothra
Duck

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Feb 2019, 13:41

It is.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lols » 07 Feb 2019, 22:42

Texan wrote:

My condolences also to you and family.

It's an interesting thing, about the decision, of whether to be kept alive with feeding tubes etc or to just die with dignity.

I recall reading something the doctor asked my mother, two questions, would she like to be revived, and would she be okay with life support.
He said, it was contradictory, that she said she would like to be revived, but not on life support.
I told my friend who works in aged care, that it's not contradictory at all..... some people can be revived and breathe on their own and stay alive okay, not needing life support.

So it's a tricky question.......

Me, if I had to be on life support with feed tubes and couldn't move much, and depended on others to care for me....I would hate it!

What is life, if one is living, but not really living, if dependant on all these things to keep alive and others to clean you up, turn you over in the bed etc.

It did come to mind, to have 3 nurses to care for my mum, she was half paralyzed, but able to communicate, but would have needed feed tubes and the stroke had paralyzed her tongue, swallowing, and her right side of the body. I asked the nurses what they earnt, and what hourly shifts they did, as mum had money to pay for this...what was the point in working hard all your life, to have money there, and not be able to utilize it for your own life's comfort or survival somehow?

We (family) did struggle with this, a lot. Wanting to keep what was remaining, and the doctors all seemed to just give up. I still have thoughts of maybe something more could have been done.
I know in time I will be okay with it, as it's still early days since I lost my mum, and people that knew her say, she would have hated it, being so dependant on others to change nappy, feed tubes, turn her in bed etc. as she was a strong independant woman, living her way. She drove up until the day before, to the supermarket nearby. Wow, hope I am as good as that, if ever I get to 90!
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby Texan » 08 Feb 2019, 02:27

I just fixed my son’s washing machine in KS. My son put his wife off when she asked him to look at the machine. She called me and I told her to check the drain hose. It slipped of and she reconnected it. I gave her permission to give my son a hard time because he laughed at her when she said she was sending my wife a video of the washer for me to look at.
Texan
Cheetah

Postby pinkeye » 08 Feb 2019, 04:15

good for you

I have found most problems around the home are fixable with a bit of nous.! :thumb
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby johnsmith » 08 Feb 2019, 15:22

Scored tickets to the Jury Preview Show for 'Eurovision - Australia decides'.

It should be interesting even if i haven't heard of most of the acts.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby pinkeye » 08 Feb 2019, 23:43

trying to work out where my e-mail account went.

Had a long power - loss...…... 8.00-3.00 on the 6th and couldn't get any internet once power came back. Spent an hour on the ph to Telstra .. got it . Next time I turned it on got a message re update Don't turn off your Computer.
Didn't.

When it came back all my personal settings were gone, and I've managed to re-instate some... but I can't find my e-mail.
This frikkin macjine insists a use my microsoft account. Fuck that.. if I have one I don't want one.

Until this mysterious update..? not too bad.

Now..?

I don't know what to do.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Feb 2019, 03:54

Sorry, don’t know Windoze. W10 does seem to cause a lot of pain. I stick to Mac and have little computer trouble (other than spilling a glass of white wine into the keyboard when my chair collapsed. New laptop.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Texan » 09 Feb 2019, 12:08

I just found out that my 36 day old granddaughter rolled over from her back to her front. Olympic gymnast?
Texan
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Feb 2019, 12:19

Digesting breakfast:

dry roasted cherry tomatoes (60 mins)
dry roasted big mushroom (15 minute)
dry roasted asparagus wrapped in pancetta (15 minute)
duck egg poached a few minutes
Bread, creme freche, capers, smoked salmon.

Put it all together. Yum! Lil sprinkle sweet smoked paprika on the egg.

Dry roasting asparagus is the best way to cook it, still crispy!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Tally » 09 Feb 2019, 12:22

HBS Guy wrote:Digesting breakfast:

dry roasted cherry tomatoes (60 mins)
dry roasted big mushroom (15 minute)
dry roasted asparagus wrapped in pancetta (15 minute)
duck egg poached a few minutes
Bread, creme freche, capers, smoked salmon.

Put it all together. Yum! Lil sprinkle sweet smoked paprika on the egg.

Dry roasting asparagus is the best way to cook it, still crispy!

That sounds divine. I'm going to be on liquid meals for a few days :mad
Luceat Lux Vestra
Tally
Jack Russell

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Feb 2019, 14:16

Can’t wait for consistent cooler weather, probably after my return from Tassie, start cooking from the several dozen cook books I bought, winnow out the crap ones, keep the best of the best.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 09 Feb 2019, 14:22

Texan wrote:I just found out that my 36 day old granddaughter rolled over from her back to her front. Olympic gymnast?

Haha! You bet! That's awesome!

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 09 Feb 2019, 23:09

HBS Guy wrote:Sorry, don’t know Windoze. W10 does seem to cause a lot of pain. I stick to Mac and have little computer trouble (other than spilling a glass of white wine into the keyboard when my chair collapsed. New laptop.

Oh well.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby SethBullock » 10 Feb 2019, 03:28

It's snowing here in western Oregon. A view of my back yard.

snow2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby Aussie » 10 Feb 2019, 07:30

So....where's our snowman!!!
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby Texan » 10 Feb 2019, 07:48

Aussie wrote:So....where's our snowman!!!

6 degrees and raining in Texas. I don’t know how to make a rain man.
Texan
Cheetah

Postby Lols » 10 Feb 2019, 11:24

Went for a lovely (much needed) 2 day break down Port Phillip Bay at son's place in Mount Martha.
Took a walk along the Mornington Pier, beautiful sunshine, sea breeze and amazing to see monuments
of Captain Matthew Flinders, particularly after his remains were just found in London where they were excavating
for the new train line. He had a lead plate on his chest to indicate it was he. Died at a young age of 44, don't know what he
died of, but others were buried nearby also.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby Lols » 10 Feb 2019, 11:29

Can't seem to post more than 3 pics in this thread?

Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby Lols » 10 Feb 2019, 11:32

Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby SethBullock » 10 Feb 2019, 17:25

Interesting post, Lols.

What we're doing here is keeping the wood stove burning and watching the temperature drop. It's predicted to get down to 17 degrees Farenheit tonight which is -8.3 Celcius. That's pretty friggin cold for where I live.

SethBullock
Jaguar

PreviousNext

Return to Sand Pit