The origin of Gay Pride

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

The origin of Gay Pride

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Oct 2017, 07:57

Since we are still voting in the ridiculous postal survey I thought this was topical.

The riot at the Stonewall gay bar: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stonewall_riots

An outgrowth was the Gay Pride marches of which the Sydney Gay Mardi Gras is one.

For real bigots, won’t name names, they are obvious anyway, the American Psychiatric Association removed homosexuality as a mental illness in the 1970s.

I got the link to Stonewall from Twitter.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Re: The origin of Gay Pride

Postby mothra » 14 Oct 2017, 00:21

It's important to remember rights are usually fought for.

All i know is i'm thrilled my children were born into an era in which the Mardi Gras is a thing.
mothra
Irish wolfhound

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Oct 2017, 00:29

Yes, rights are rarely handed out freely. I thought the account was fascinating, the queens kick dancing to the tactical police force with their truncheons!

And Ast Inspector Pyne! ahahahahahahahaha
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby mothra » 14 Oct 2017, 00:36

There was a great story a few months ago about a young gay boy on one of his first nights out as out. He was outside some club when he was jumped by a bunch of homophobes who started kicking into him.

A bunch of fully glam drag queens saw it unfold and ran to it .. high heels and wigs flying everywhere.

They won. Easily.
mothra
Irish wolfhound

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Oct 2017, 00:37

ahahaha good on them!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Oct 2017, 09:59

Gawd, some on OP are tearing themselves apart about SSM when it has nothing to do with them at all! RW conservatives and change, dear god!

Do they REALLY want gays to be hiding, covering up, attacked physically and emotionally? Those weren’t good days! People were murdered because of their sexuality, these clown really want those days back?

That huge article complete with over–lavish highlighting about Canada shows what?

• some people marry, incl gays & lesbians. Some have kids

• sex education mentions homosexual sex

• marriage in general is in decline

THAT what all that fuss is about?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 15 Oct 2017, 23:26

roach’s head is going to explode when the result of the survey is announced: high participation, overwhelming Yes! vote. DNA destroyed his only argument with:

The act was originally flexible enough to change with the times. the change locked it up. It made a huge difference.

Be nice if he goes away for a while, he really has SFA to offer. Like, the clown thought I was arguing correlation implies causation (tho the dickhead thought it was correlation equals causation) re AGW. I never argued anything of the sort.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Return to Politics