Does GUN control REALLY works?

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Re: Does GUN control REALLY works?

Postby Texan » 09 Jan 2019, 14:30

greggerypeccary wrote:
Dax wrote:Using a gun in Aus is the a last resort, in the USA, it's the first thing they do.

Yes, well said.

It's a huge problem.

I've been pulled over by police dozens of times and have never been in fear for my life. I've been pulled over by cops of every race and gender with no issues. I've never been shot.
Govern wisely, and as little as possible.
President Sam Houston
Texan
mountain lion

spamone: Animal

Postby greggerypeccary » 09 Jan 2019, 14:32

Texan wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:
Dax wrote:Using a gun in Aus is the a last resort, in the USA, it's the first thing they do.

Yes, well said.

It's a huge problem.

I've been pulled over by police dozens of times and have never been in fear for my life. I've been pulled over by cops of every race and gender with no issues. I've never been shot.

Why are you being pulled over so much?

I've been driving for nearly forty years - sometimes professionally - and I doubt I've been pulled over more than 4 or 5 times.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby Dax » 09 Jan 2019, 14:33

SethBullock wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:That is the theory but homicides, accidental homicides are still WAY higher in the US than anywhere else. You have the highest percentage of your population in gaol than any other country. Also more gun related suicides.

The suicide rate in Australia (11.7 per 100,000) is very close to the U.S. rate (13 per 100,000). That's a difference of 1.3 per 100,000.

You can try to manipulate the rates as much as you like, but when it comes to guns, the USA tops the planet big time. Yanks are ten times more likely to be killed by a gun than any other developed country and gun related murders, 25 times more than other developed countries. Some outside claims say they are 50-100 times greater.

Gun deaths in the USA are now higher than 20years ago and rising, gun deaths by cops is also rising.

https://www.theroot.com/more-americans- ... 1792969338

The USA also the only nation where the number of guns is higher than the number of people and more guns than anywhere else.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... s-cdc-2017

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-u-s-gu ... countries/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence
Dax
mountain lion

Postby Dax » 09 Jan 2019, 14:40

greggerypeccary wrote:
Texan wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:

Yes, well said.

It's a huge problem.

I've been driving for nearly forty years - sometimes professionally - and I doubt I've been pulled over more than 4 or 5 times.

Same with me, the last time I got booked was back in 1999, just after I'd bought a series 80 turbos diesel and if you blinked, you were exceeding the speed limit by about 15klms. Told the cop I'd had the car 2 days and he said, he understood as my record was spotless and so dropped the speed he recorded and told me to get some more practise driving the car. Still got it and haven't been pulled over since. I can drive well over 1000klms a week between venues and travelling, have driven everything from Euclids to road trains.

Aus cops only pull you over if you're being an idiot or really speeding, otherwise the majority never get pulled over.
Dax
mountain lion

Postby greggerypeccary » 09 Jan 2019, 14:45

Dax wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:
Texan wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:

Yes, well said.

It's a huge problem.

Same with me, the last time I got booked was back in 1999, just after I'd bought a series 80 turbos diesel and if you blinked, you were exceeding the speed limit by about 15klms. Told the cop I'd had the car 2 days and he said, he understood as my record was spotless and so dropped the speed he recorded and told me to get some more practise driving the car. Still got it and haven't been pulled over since. I can drive well over 1000klms a week between venues and travelling, have driven everything from Euclids to road trains.

Aus cops only pull you over if you're being an idiot or really speeding, otherwise the majority never get pulled over.

Actually, I exaggerated when I said 4 or 5 times.

I'm pretty sure I've only been pulled over by the police twice.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby Texan » 09 Jan 2019, 14:50

greggerypeccary wrote:
Texan wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:

Yes, well said.

It's a huge problem.

For the last 25 years, I've averaged over 60k km/year on the road. I admit that I drive too fast and sometimes have to pay for it. My first ticket was for doing a rolling stop at a stop sign and I was pulled over by a cop on a horse. He was patrolling White Rock Lake Park in Dallas and we were teenagers cruising around looking for trouble. We found it. I'm guessing about 25-30 stops overall. I've been let off with just a warning for a good number of those incidents. (10-15) Some of the stops were for a headlight broken or an expired registration sticker.
President Sam Houston
Texan
mountain lion

Postby johnsmith » 09 Jan 2019, 16:12

Texan wrote: I admit that I drive too fast and sometimes have to pay for it.

the only way to drive :bgrin
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby SethBullock » 10 Jan 2019, 13:45

My wife got pulled over one time for substantially speeding.

The officer got her license and walked back to his car. When he came back to her car, he didn't cite her. He said, "I never do this", meaning that he never fails to cite someone for speeding as much as she was.

He didn't offer any other explanation, gave her back her license, and walked away. The traffic stop was over.

My wife said she just cried for a few minutes.

She has a license plate frame that says "I (heart shape) My Marine".
"Humility must always be the portion of any man who receives acclaim earned in the blood of his followers and the sacrifices of his friends." - Dwight D Eisenhower

"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty
SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby Texan » 10 Jan 2019, 14:32

I used to be able to drive on an expired license when I was active duty military. My military ID got me out of a couple of tickets. My LTC shows my veteran status and that helps also.
President Sam Houston
Texan
mountain lion

Postby SethBullock » 10 Jan 2019, 15:10

Texan wrote:I used to be able to drive on an expired license when I was active duty military. My military ID got me out of a couple of tickets. My LTC shows my veteran status and that helps also.

But, but, but ...

That can't be true, Texan. The cops are all bloodthirsty, insane, deranged lunatics.

I saw that on the internet, so it must be true!
"Humility must always be the portion of any man who receives acclaim earned in the blood of his followers and the sacrifices of his friends." - Dwight D Eisenhower

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby greggerypeccary » 10 Jan 2019, 15:16

SethBullock wrote:My wife got pulled over one time for substantially speeding.

Jesus, you Americans get pulled over a lot.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby Dax » 10 Jan 2019, 15:51

The officer got her license and walked back to his car. When he came back to her car, he didn't cite her. He said, "I never do this", meaning that he never fails to cite someone for speeding as much as she was.

He didn't offer any other explanation, gave her back her license, and walked away. The traffic stop was over.

He probably checked and saw she was the wife of a cop/trainer, so let it go. Which would be typical of USA cops, corrupt to the hilt.
Dax
mountain lion

Postby SethBullock » 10 Jan 2019, 16:22

Dax wrote:

He probably checked and saw she was the wife of a cop/trainer, so let it go. Which would be typical of USA cops, corrupt to the hilt.

Fuck off, dipshit.

There's no connection between her ID and my police service, and he was from another county. He doesn't know me, and I don't know him, you idiot.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby Dax » 10 Jan 2019, 17:17

SethBullock wrote:
Dax wrote:

Fuck off, dipshit.

There's no connection between her ID and my police service, and he was from another county. He doesn't know me, and I don't know him, you idiot.

Ah true sign of guilty conscience, caught out, so have to attack, sign of a true simple clone. :rofl

Know for a fact, they can call in a check and get details from all the state and that's why he went back to his car, did a check, they've said, one of our owns wife and he let her go. They do that to see if there are any outstanding warrants or court orders, if they didn't crims would be able to move from county to county without being harassed. True USA cop double standards in action.

Our cops check up on those they pull over, we have Aus wide check, which is why we have a relatively safe country and don't need to carry guns. Other than for sport or legal hunting, which by the way in most places, you need a hunting licence and a designated area with written permission from the property owner to shoot. Then there are other restrictions which differ from state to state, at least we have them, you just have guns and the results top the world in many categories of gun related injury and death.

The USA doens't even make the top twenty in most democratic nations ratings, it is rated lower than most of Asia and some Sth American countries. Guess who is classed as the most democratic countries on the planet, Aus and NZ. Just ask anyone who been here and traveled around a bit what they think of us, you should watch a show called "Bondi rescue", It will give you an idea of what our city life is about and how tourists think of our country and way of life. Without guns everywhere and people being shot, In the majority we have decent armed cops who will joke with you, be nice until you act like a prick and don't even have to handcuff those they arrest on most occasions. It's very rare for an Aus cop to pull their gun, that's a last resort, the opposite is true in your country, they are trained to pull their guns and shoot at every opportunity they get and do.

Same with courts, 99% of those appearing before our courts are not shackled, or cuffed, their guards aren't armed. The dangerous crims use to be cuffed, today they don't get to court, a video link is used and they stay locked up.

You need to learn a bit about the real world and how other people think and operate, instead of going into denial, trying to deflect blame elsewhere, ignoring facts and then attacking. You've got no valid argument in this thread, every time you say something, you reveal more and more reasons why our gun laws work, yours don't and the facts support that in every way.

You also conveniently forget, close to 90% of all your non suicidal gun victims, are the innocent. But that doesn't matter does it, you're not effected, so who cares. :Hi :thumb
Dax
mountain lion

Postby johnsmith » 10 Jan 2019, 17:51

Many moons ago, when I was about 20, I was driving home from a night of clubbing ...I'd probably had about a dozen scotch and cokes, and breathalyzers were relatively new back then. I know, I shouldn't drink and drive, but youth and stupidity often go hand in hand.

Anyway, a cop pulled me over for speeding, and when he got to the car I started raving in an excited manner something along the lines of... 'did you see that dickhead in the white commodore, he ran me off the road' (white commodores were probably the most common car on the road, and loved by car hoons). The cop asked which way did he go, I gave the name of a street I'd passed a few minutes earlier. The cop said 'thanks', ran to his car and took off to look for him.

My cousin (who was in the car) and I were stunned that my desperate ploy worked. I didn't think I had a chance. As soon as I saw those flashing lights I thought it was a night in the cells for me. :roll
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Jan 2019, 20:51

Dax wrote:
SethBullock wrote:
Dax wrote:

Fuck off, dipshit.

Ah true sign of guilty conscience, caught out, so have to attack, sign of a true simple clone. :rofl

Know for a fact, they can call in a check and get details from all the state and that's why he went back to his car, did a check, they've said, one of our owns wife and he let her go. They do that to see if there are any outstanding warrants or court orders, if they didn't crims would be able to move from county to county without being harassed. True USA cop double standards in action.

Our cops check up on those they pull over, we have Aus wide check, which is why we have a relatively safe country and don't need to carry guns. Other than for sport or legal hunting, which by the way in most places, you need a hunting licence and a designated area with written permission from the property owner to shoot. Then there are other restrictions which differ from state to state, at least we have them, you just have guns and the results top the world in many categories of gun related injury and death.

The USA doens't even make the top twenty in most democratic nations ratings, it is rated lower than most of Asia and some Sth American countries. Guess who is classed as the most democratic countries on the planet, Aus and NZ. Just ask anyone who been here and traveled around a bit what they think of us, you should watch a show called "Bondi rescue", It will give you an idea of what our city life is about and how tourists think of our country and way of life. Without guns everywhere and people being shot, In the majority we have decent armed cops who will joke with you, be nice until you act like a prick and don't even have to handcuff those they arrest on most occasions. It's very rare for an Aus cop to pull their gun, that's a last resort, the opposite is true in your country, they are trained to pull their guns and shoot at every opportunity they get and do.

Same with courts, 99% of those appearing before our courts are not shackled, or cuffed, their guards aren't armed. The dangerous crims use to be cuffed, today they don't get to court, a video link is used and they stay locked up.

You need to learn a bit about the real world and how other people think and operate, instead of going into denial, trying to deflect blame elsewhere, ignoring facts and then attacking. You've got no valid argument in this thread, every time you say something, you reveal more and more reasons why our gun laws work, yours don't and the facts support that in every way.

You also conveniently forget, close to 90% of all your non suicidal gun victims, are the innocent. But that doesn't matter does it, you're not effected, so who cares. :Hi :thumb

You get an awful lot of things wrong and do not learn when somebody tells you something different. Not a pleasant trait.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Dax » 11 Jan 2019, 05:21

HBS Guy wrote:
Dax wrote:
SethBullock wrote:
Dax wrote:

Fuck off, dipshit.

You get an awful lot of things wrong and do not learn when somebody tells you something different. Not a pleasant trait.

Really, tell me where I got things wrong, or are you just grasping at straws again in your own ignorance and desperation to support the unsupportable. I understand people like you hate those that have logical facts to present, you miss out there big time.
Dax
mountain lion

Postby DonDeeHippy » 11 Jan 2019, 05:35

greggerypeccary wrote:

Jesus, you Americans get pulled over a lot.

Really ? In QLD u get pulled over at least 4-6 times a year... they love random breath testing here for grog... they also check your license as well usually. :purple
Our American cousins sound like they get it easy.
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
mountain lion

Postby johnsmith » 11 Jan 2019, 16:32

DonDeeHippy wrote:Really ? In QLD u get pulled over at least 4-6 times a year..

:WTF :WTF

I don't think I've been pulled over since I moved here about ten years ago
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby DonDeeHippy » 11 Jan 2019, 21:58

I think in the small towns the coppers r made to do the rbt, I know in my town for along time they would do them about 9 am on weekdays... I think just so they could do the quota and not get anyone... :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
mountain lion

Postby pinkeye » 11 Jan 2019, 22:19

DonDeeHippy wrote:I think in the small towns the coppers r made to do the rbt, I know in my town for along time they would do them about 9 am on weekdays... I think just so they could do the quota and not get anyone... :purple

Yes.. well when you get to higher density housing areas you might see a cop. I don't get around much anymore.. and they are around but they don't usually bother me. Altho come to think of it, in the last say 6 yrs... I have been pulled in for a roadside RBT twice. Nix each time of course. I don't drink and drive.

The second time I had two cartons of French Red wine on the passenger side of the car. !! The officer who pulled me over looked in the window and said haskhjdfuyudrkiyiurighay? ( he spoke so fast!!.. I couldn't understand him. He looked wired tight to me... so I looked at him questioningly)
Smiling..I'm sorry....??? ? I said.

(WTF ? I had my beautiful big dog in the back, and she looked at him and said.. what'd he say...? I shrugged and said to the cop... WHAT did you say...? :bgrin )

Haveyou hadanythingto drink today????

Ohh .. small chuckle... Nope. Chuckle.

Blow into this please.
You can go.

That cop was so wired... I usually understand english.....
Last edited by pinkeye on 11 Jan 2019, 22:27, edited 1 time in total.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 11 Jan 2019, 22:21

IF.. you get pulled over regularly...?

you either drive a 'fuck you up the arse cop' car, or you have a long history of transgressions...
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby DonDeeHippy » 12 Jan 2019, 06:06

pinkeye wrote:IF.. you get pulled over regularly...?

you either drive a 'fuck you up the arse cop' car, or you have a long history of transgressions...

or a work ute … I guess they figure most tradies r drunk :purple :purple :purple
DonDeeHippy
mountain lion

Postby Dax » 12 Jan 2019, 13:34

Remember the claim you couldn't get fully auto guns in the USA from the cop, well this little article shows the truth and you can get one at just about any gun range, or go to a gun show and buy one of these and many other fully auto weapons.

There's a show on TV called doomsday preppers and most of them have fully auto rifles and machine guns, they proudly show them off and fire them.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... range.html
Dax
mountain lion

Postby pinkeye » 12 Jan 2019, 23:35

put up a wall and someone will overcome it
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

PreviousNext