Federal Election 2019—the campaign

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls.

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Re: Federal Election 2019—the campaign

Postby SethBullock » 14 Apr 2019, 14:00

If we had any sense of decency, we'd pay the $5 for the yoyo, and give someone a job making it under conditions that didn't require effing suicide nets.
"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty

"There's only one solution: MORE guns!" - greggerypeccary

... "mr know it all" - Bongalong
SethBullock
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Postby Aussie » 14 Apr 2019, 14:07

Worse, we not only get shit cheap, we lose a domestic manufacturing capacity. As soon as there is no competing yoyo manufacturer in Australia, tariffs on the Vietnam made yoyo disappear and we get it for that $1.00 forever. So, we lose jobs and capacity. The solution will only appear fleetingly on the horizon when the working class in third world countries demand and get an appropriate wage. When the cost of labour in Vietnam is the same as it is in Australia, then we might get that lost capacity and lost jobs back.
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby SethBullock » 14 Apr 2019, 14:26

Aussie wrote:Worse, we not only get shit cheap, we lose a domestic manufacturing capacity. As soon as there is no competing yoyo manufacturer in Australia, tariffs on the Vietnam made yoyo disappear and we get it for that $1.00 forever. So, we lose jobs and capacity. The solution will only appear fleetingly on the horizon when the working class in third world countries demand and get an appropriate wage. When the cost of labour in Vietnam is the same as it is in Australia, then we might get that lost capacity and lost jobs back.

The other thing I want the U.S. to do, and I would think you would want your country to do, is to at least require trade equity. If China wants to send you a billion dollars of cheap shit, require them to buy a billion dollars of whatever you can export.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby Dax » 14 Apr 2019, 15:18

SethBullock wrote:

FFS, they've got suicide nets outside Asian manufacturing plants. Suicide nets!!

Amazon has suicide nets in their premises as well, round the globe and you will find everywhere multinationals infiltrate, their workers are treated as badly as possible to increase profit growth. Amazon in Aus is going badly, they are struggling to get people to work the low paying enslaved jobs which require workers to complete x amount of orders per hour and no toilet or other breaks during shifts.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby johnsmith » 14 Apr 2019, 16:34

Aussie wrote:Worse, we not only get shit cheap, we lose a domestic manufacturing capacity. As soon as there is no competing yoyo manufacturer in Australia, tariffs on the Vietnam made yoyo disappear and we get it for that $1.00 forever. So, we lose jobs and capacity. The solution will only appear fleetingly on the horizon when the working class in third world countries demand and get an appropriate wage. When the cost of labour in Vietnam is the same as it is in Australia, then we might get that lost capacity and lost jobs back.

you won't, not unless our wages fall to $2 a day ..... in which case we become the third world country while they become first world.

What's more likely to happen is that they'll move from Vietnam, to some other third world country where peoplee work for a meal and a bed. Plenty of shit holes in Africa where they can replace the Asian workers .... I read somewhere once that Chinese companies have already started moving into Africa because of their cheaper wages

like i said, its a race to the bottom of the hill.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby johnsmith » 14 Apr 2019, 16:36

SethBullock wrote:

The other thing I want the U.S. to do, and I would think you would want your country to do, is to at least require trade equity. If China wants to send you a billion dollars of cheap shit, require them to buy a billion dollars of whatever you can export.

that's up to the consumers.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Aussie » 14 Apr 2019, 17:28

johnsmith wrote:

you won't, not unless our wages fall to $2 a day ..... in which case we become the third world country while they become first world.

What's more likely to happen is that they'll move from Vietnam, to some other third world country where peoplee work for a meal and a bed. Plenty of shit holes in Africa where they can replace the Asian workers .... I read somewhere once that Chinese companies have already started moving into Africa because of their cheaper wages

like i said, its a race to the bottom of the hill.

Yes, I can see that happening. "Made in Somalia."
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby Bongalong » 14 Apr 2019, 17:47

johnsmith wrote:
SethBullock wrote:

...lol, because it's equality innit?!!? :roll :roll
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Bongalong » 14 Apr 2019, 17:54

pinkeye wrote:
Bongalong wrote:
SethBullock wrote:I just went to Wiki and read about Australia's economy. It painted a pretty rosy picture. You have one of the highest GDP's per capita in the world.

A wealthy country, Australia has a market economy, a high GDP per capita, and a relatively low rate of poverty. In terms of average wealth, Australia ranked second in the world after Switzerland from 2013 until 2018.[229] In 2018, Australia overtook Switzerland and become the country with the highest average wealth.[229] Australia's poverty rate increased from 10.2% to 11.8%, from 2000/01 to 2013.[230][231] It was identified by the Credit Suisse Research Institute as the nation with the highest median wealth in the world and the second-highest average wealth per adult in 2013.

But it does mention your dependence on exporting commodities rather than manufactured goods.

What restrains manufacturing in Australia?

gREED! :rofl

Sad but true, and not very funny …
Profit is the word...

Government bows to business,
so GREED succeeds.

Government is big business!
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 15 Apr 2019, 08:26

I think the neolibs/nats/greens liked sending manufacturing to China etc—the places affected had union labor!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 15 Apr 2019, 17:27

just saw the libs first televised add. ... they've started with the lies ... by the end of this campaign period I'm betting they'll overtake trump with the lies.

Add starts of with labors debt, then goes onto the libs pretend surplus .....

anyone want to guess as to why they didn't stay on the subject of debt?
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 15 Apr 2019, 21:57

Leading with their chin there—they trebled Labor’s debt—which would have arisen anyway during the GFC regardless of govt action or not—during a time the Budget should have been slowly recovering. Idiots.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 16 Apr 2019, 12:14

** They've given up... they know their legacy is copper internet and thus that they dig a big poo down the kids kids kids throats: abandon all ye hope they think for they might save a deck chair or two lol

The liberal party is their voter base.... bye bye libs :bike :bike :zzzz
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Sprintcyclist » 18 Apr 2019, 22:48

I read Bill Shorten travelled 13,000 kms this week.
That is really bad planning.

Who proposed it, who planned it, who agreed to it ?
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 19 Apr 2019, 01:59

who gives a shit. ! :yak yak :bike
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby greggerypeccary » 19 Apr 2019, 12:26

Sprintcyclist wrote:I read Bill Shorten travelled 13,000 kms this week.
That is really bad planning.

Who proposed it, who planned it, who agreed to it ?

Who cares?
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby SethBullock » 19 Apr 2019, 13:01

johnsmith wrote:
SethBullock wrote:

You like your cheap Chinese shit, John?

Your Australian people deserve to be able to trade fairly with China. I don't know what the balance of trade with Australia and China is, but if it's out of whack, Australia - and the rest of the western world for that matter - ought to tell those Chinese slave owners that we will only trade on a dollar for dollar basis with them.

They sure sell us a lot of garbage.

I've got a freakin Chinese-made bottle opener that bent, and then broke, opening bottles.

We should make our own clothes, ffs.

If China cuts us off from our clothes ... eeew!

chinese.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby Sprintcyclist » 19 Apr 2019, 13:34

SethBullock wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
SethBullock wrote:

You like your cheap Chinese shit, John?

Your Australian people deserve to be able to trade fairly with China. I don't know what the balance of trade with Australia and China is, but if it's out of whack, Australia - and the rest of the western world for that matter - ought to tell those Chinese slave owners that we will only trade on a dollar for dollar basis with them.

They sure sell us a lot of garbage.

I've got a freakin Chinese-made bottle opener that bent, and then broke, opening bottles.

We should make our own clothes, ffs.

If China cuts us off from our clothes ... eeew!

chinese.JPG

yes, buy American stuff.
I fix gear that is made from all across the world.
American gear is very robust.
German gear is overrated

Japanese is pretty much the best .
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 19 Apr 2019, 17:39

SethBullock wrote:You like your cheap Chinese shit, John?

depends on what it's for. If I need to cut one or two branches of a tree and probably never use it again, I'll buy a cheap Chinese chainsaw for $120 rather than a good German or US one for $400 - $500. Same with my cordless. I once had a good Makita cordless drill that I paid $800 for (back when Makita was still making drills out of Japan). After about 6 years it died. I've had my cheap Chinese store brand that I paid $80 (for a two pack .. a driver and a drill) for 3 years already and it's still going strong. Even if it dies tomorrow and I buy another that last me another 3 years, I still come out on top compared to when I bought a $800 Makita.

Seems most other people like their Chinese crap to Seth, both here in Oz and in the US. Otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Having said that, if I am going to buy something I will use a lot of, such as my lawn mower, I always go for better quality. Give me a decent Honda mower (any Japanese brand will do) over Chinese made rubbish any day. It used to take me an hour to start my mums cheap mower when I cut her lawn. I was worn out before I'd even started. Same with my electronic and white goods such as TV's and fridges. Although the Chinese electronics is getting better, it's not quite there yet.

I should also mention that I bought the expensive Makita when I was still painting because I used it a lot for work. These days I only use the cordless around the house.
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Bongalong » 22 Apr 2019, 12:17

johnsmith wrote:
SethBullock wrote:You like your cheap Chinese shit, John?

depends on what it's for. If I need to cut one or two branches of a tree and probably never use it again, I'll buy a cheap Chinese chainsaw for $120 rather than a good German or US one for $400 - $500. Same with my cordless. I once had a good Makita cordless drill that I paid $800 for (back when Makita was still making drills out of Japan). After about 6 years it died. I've had my cheap Chinese store brand that I paid $80 (for a two pack .. a driver and a drill) for 3 years already and it's still going strong. Even if it dies tomorrow and I buy another that last me another 3 years, I still come out on top compared to when I bought a $800 Makita.

Seems most other people like their Chinese crap to Seth, both here in Oz and in the US. Otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Having said that, if I am going to buy something I will use a lot of, such as my lawn mower, I always go for better quality. Give me a decent Honda mower (any Japanese brand will do) over Chinese made rubbish any day. It used to take me an hour to start my mums cheap mower when I cut her lawn. I was worn out before I'd even started. Same with my electronic and white goods such as TV's and fridges. Although the Chinese electronics is getting better, it's not quite there yet.

I should also mention that I bought the expensive Makita when I was still painting because I used it a lot for work. These days I only use the cordless around the house.
Tradies love the cheap stuff.... if it gets the job done it gets the job done.
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Shorten and Morrison 'clash' over electric cars!

Postby Bongalong » 30 Apr 2019, 11:11

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-29/shorten-and-morrison-clash-over-electric-cars/11056468

Lol, like one day someone may actually care about the kids.

*** There's another lamo article out there about how the electric car future for Australia will be driven by public servants.... lol, some brainiac dreamt that gem up 20 years ago but the nasty generation just couldn't be f'd doing anything but play nasty games for a bit longer just to watch the kiddies squirm...

:b :gsp :gsp :gsp :gsp :gsp :gsp :gsp :gsp :gsp :hush :hush :hush :hush :hush :hush :hush :hush :hush
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby hatty » 01 May 2019, 06:56

Aye drah it's depressing.......

change of tact however ..... anyone go to Antony Green's ABC vote compass to see where you really stand?

yeah like nobody saw that coming....

/disclaimer...... this is not an indication of how i intend to vote :rain :bgrin
hatty
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 01 May 2019, 10:38

Green has the Greens completely wrong. They are not progressive but neoliberals and right wing in fact.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby hatty » 01 May 2019, 10:47

and that there explains my disclaimer

shame it aint gonna make a jot of difference in my electorate
hatty
Cheetah

Postby Bongalong » 01 May 2019, 11:01

hatty wrote:Aye drah it's depressing.......

change of tact however ..... anyone go to Antony Green's ABC vote compass to see where you really stand?

yeah like nobody saw that coming....

/disclaimer...... this is not an indication of how i intend to vote :rain :bgrin

Discalimers are only for when you are apt to face potential legal action :tweed
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

PreviousNext

Return to Politics