Food thread

A place to talk about the sensory perception of food and drink.

Beer reviews, restaurant reviews, food in all its glory, booze and what it takes to get ingredients to make our food and our booze. Post whether you are registered or not—but we may moderate your post.Takes a lot to shock us but we do NOT like pointless crap

Re: Food thread

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Mar 2017, 21:50

Had sashimi today. Bought it not at the sushi stand at the Central Market but from Samtass fish shop. Also different—rather than the usual tuna & salmon it was kingfish and salmon. Bloody nice! Will definitely buy it again.

They also had already–made Thai fishcakes. Hmmm already had the menu for the weekend planned but the “cakes” looked very pale, like no red curry paste pale.

Nah, will keep making my own. Food processor does the real work anyway, eh?
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tender of the Mighty Mash Tun

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Mar 2017, 22:42

Well, bit of fun today!

Had a box of sauce tomatoes, of the slightly overripe type (a few moldy ones went into the Geddye bin) and hit a slight snag: tomato machine couldn’t be found! (Place is a chaotic mess as I am going through a lot of stuff to sort: comes to Tassie/garage sale/garbage/Op shop/Ebay etc.)

So washed the ’maters cut them up, chucked into my lovely 8L saucepan. Took a while, then took ages to boil it all so the ’maters were soft. Had pips and skins etc in it. Got out the moulie and started processing. Was easy, the tomato chunks were really soft and most was just liquid.

I had chucked in all the mint and coriander I had left from the weekend, 2tbsp tartaric acid and 2tbsp salt plus like half a tsp chili flakes.

Had a LOT of juice, spent an hour boiling that down.

Seven 500ml jars passata will be labelled and stowed away tomorrow.

Grapes—tartaric acid

Citrus—citric acid

Pome fruit—malic acid.

Malic and tartaric have the same formula but the atoms are arranged differently. Tartaric is very strong for an organic acid—I usually use citric acid but had used it all up. 1tsp citric to a 500ml jar passata makes it acid enough to be safe even after 2 years, need less than that of tartaric.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Mar 2017, 17:53

Dinner at chez Monk will be at 6.21.

That is when the Dominos Pizza driver will deliver my order of greasy shit.

Ah well, first time this year.

Just could not be bothered cooking.
HBS Guy

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Mar 2017, 08:03

Got this from what passes for a “Food” board on OzPol:

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/salmon-fishcakes-horseradish-lemon-kale/9e58d8e0-b911-4ea2-ad65-2cfa8abee1e3

Recipe has canned salmon in it. Fuck that, buy a salmon head or two and soup veg, make some stock, buy fresh salmon and poach it in the stock. Freeze the remainder of the stock. Much more better idea!

Looks alright to me. Trying to get Mum to eat more fish, keep the brain going and slow the dementia so will make these and the next weekend Thai fishcakes and as the weather gets colder fish soup, fish stew, plenty of variety. The kale part is good too—a leafy green. Hmmm need to buy a new wok, try some of the chinese fish recipes.

Dunno about the horseradish, how strong that will taste. Might try half the amount initially, add a nice zing and iff too strong or not strong enough change the amount next time.

Might buy another kingfish sashimi pack, that was nice (and is a bit more fish!)

Neferti actually sent me a nice PM on OzPol re Mum (one or two others have too on OzPol and other boards.) I replied in kind, of course.
HBS Guy

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Mar 2017, 20:00

Chicken vindaloo with persian pillau and pappadums.

B U U U U U U U R R R R R R R P P P P P P ! ! ! ! !
HBS Guy

Postby HBS Guy » 25 Mar 2017, 08:54

Just added pancetta-wrapped asparagus spears to the tomatoes dry roasting. Water for the poached eggs is nearly at the boil. Also added a couple big mushrooms. Yum!
HBS Guy

Postby HBS Guy » 25 Mar 2017, 10:24

The BEST way to cook asparagus:

Wrap the spears in pancetta (bacon might do but is thicker than panchetta) and pop into a hot oven for 15 minutes. Wonderful, asparagus is cooked but still crisp and goes very nicely with the pancetta!
HBS Guy

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Apr 2017, 08:09

Need to get started on breakfast soon: grilled tomato, pancetta, asparagus and mushroom and poached egg.

Might put smoked salmon pate on the bread, put the egg on top of that.

Won’t be hungry for a while after scoffing that!
HBS Guy

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Apr 2017, 09:12

Ok, tomatoes dry roasting in the oven, ’shrooms and asparagus and pancetta prepared ready to join them in 45 minutes time.
HBS Guy

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Apr 2017, 19:14

Hmmmmmm

Two chunks of raw fish. Kingfish and tuna. Kept mine as solid chunks wanting to slice it bit by bit. Hmmm need a VERY sharp smooth blade, both fish had strings of connective tissue. Would LOVE like a 250g piece of kingfish to myself and a nice sharp smoothbladed knife.

The fish shop did not have sashimi packs made up, hence the chunks of raw fish. I DID say to the guy that I wanted some of the finely julienned carrot and parsnip(?) but got none! Will whinge next week, come on, want the full sashimi experience! No bloody wasabi either COME ON need wasabi! So, made do with about 3 teaspoons of horseradish paste.

So gooooooooood! Yummmmmmmm!

Bit later, nice sourdough bread (bought :sad ) with smoked wagyu beef and duck terrine then some lovely fresh raspberries and whipped cream flavored (and slightly colored) with creme de cassis.
HBS Guy

Postby HBS Guy » 17 May 2017, 11:05

Preserved limes—better than the fresh ones!

Must be organic and wash them really really well several times!

Layer quartered limes and salt in a clean glass jar, press lid down to get some lime juice flowing. Stow away somewhere dark and cool.

After a month you can start using them: cut the flesh off and discard! Chop the rind and pith finely. Yup, use the pith don’t just take it :bgrin

http://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/article/what-to-do-with-preserved-limes?mbid=social_twitter
HBS Guy

Previous

Return to The Tavern