Electric Vehicals this week

For scientific papers on AGW, record happenings in the Arctic and the Greenland, Himalayan and Antarctic icesheets. Also weatherstorms and higher than average rainfalls and other extreme weather events.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Re: Electric Vehicals this week

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Apr 2019, 15:04

Bongalong wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:
Bongalong wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Solar panels have a long way to go in terms of efficiency too, offering more cost savings to running a car.

Do they? Why aren't they in the-once-was-a-clever-country's sights? :yak yak :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll

Scientists have developed a paint on glass that sends light off to the sides of the panel where the solar cells are, protected from the direct heat of the sun. But a long way from concept to commercial production.

Apparently heat is one of those big factors keeping solar from breaking through!

Exactly so, that is why the current type of panel, with the actual cells exposed to the direct heat of the sun, is not the most efficient way. If we could position cells around the perimeter of a sheet of glass that can redirect light falling onto it into light travelling in the plane of the glass you would need less silicon and the bits that generate the current can be insulated from the sun’s heat. Such coatings have been developed but the way the Libs treat the CSIRO who knows how much development has been done on this?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 09 Apr 2019, 06:49

In Switzerland, Tesla Model 3 has become the best-selling car of any type in March with 1,094 new registrations, followed by the conventional Skoda Octavia (801) and a few other models checking in around 500.
Despite the fact that deliveries started only in February, Model 3 quickly jumped also in the YTD rank to 4th place at 1,371. As a brand, Tesla was in March classified at 8th overall
Strong sales of the Model 3 is a very important outcome as Switzerland is one of the most “neutral indicators” of demand in a country with high salaries and no EV incentives. :purple :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Cheetah

spamone: Animal

Postby Sprintcyclist » 09 Apr 2019, 08:22

Bongalong wrote:
Dax wrote:Weight is a big factor in road electric vehicles, the power to weight ratio comes into affect much more than aircraft as friction is greater in road based vehicles. The advancement in lift capabilities in air craft is making it easier to develop electric aircraft, as lift is the major detriment to electric planes.

Electric driven ships are the thing today, they use electric pod motors for propulsion and oil driven generators to provide power for the pods, which act as rudders being able to swivel 360deg. No need to reverse the engines or have gear boxes, There are also full electric ferries In Europe and a couple of electric ships running on batteries, wind and solar. When you add the new parasails to these, full electric shipping becomes a really viable future round the planet.

THIS IS A GOOD NEWS STORY :buddy

Great news.
Sprintcyclist
Cheetah

Postby Dax » 09 Apr 2019, 13:53

These will give you an idea of where electric propulsion is in the marine industry, no drive shafts, no gear boxes, no holes in the hull and much cheaper to run as you use a much smaller diesel engine to drive a generator than you'd use to drive a propeller and shaft. Just about all new ships use them, that;s why they can maneuver much better and without the help of tugs, they use pod drives in bow and stern.

http://www.nauticexpo.com/boat-manufact ... 22263.html

http://www.carolinahouseboats.com/id46.html

https://www.torqeedo.com/us/en-us/products/pod-drives
Dax
Cheetah

Postby Sprintcyclist » 09 Apr 2019, 14:35

wow

.........Rolls-Royce product manager Per Nahnfeldt said the company was “responding to growing electrification trends”.

“All the propulsion systems you see here today are well-suited to and integrated with the new battery system,” he said.

The ELegance pod designs are based on the permanent magnet thruster design, which provides up to 99% efficiency, according to Mr Nahnfeldt, through a motor drivetrain that offers low vibration and minimised noise due to few moving parts and a low aspect ratio.

The twin-tail design reduces cavitation and noise vibration while increasing efficiency.

“For many years we have recognised the gap in the propulsion market for smaller pods, including ice-class, in the 1.5-MW to 7-MW power range,” he said. “These new pods – based on our permanent magnet technology – complement our broad product portfolio and sit well with our range of frequency drives and electrical systems. We can now provide a complete fully electric propulsion package.”

In addition to the integration with the new battery system, the pods are linked to the Rolls-Royce Health Management system launch and geared towards a future of autonomous shipping, according to Mr Nahnfeldt.

“All of our products are built to make sure we can meet the requirements of autonomous vessels,” he said.

Mr Nahnfeldt said the cruise sector was a target market along with platform supply vessels, and he said a pilot version of the propulsion unit is under construction in Finland, due to be launched at the end of 2018. He said Rolls-Royce has “several customers” signed on to a pilot project to test the pod and reiterated that the design was underpinned by the company's Mermaid pod design that has more than 50 units in operation and over 4M operating hours, to date.............

https://www.mpropulsion.com/news/view,rollsroyce-launches-new-pod-propulsion-units_54111.htm
Sprintcyclist
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Apr 2019, 16:43

The “Spirit of Tasmania” has directable motors or propellors, pushes the ferry away from the wharf.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Dax » 10 Apr 2019, 06:02

HBS Guy wrote:The “Spirit of Tasmania” has directable motors or propellors, pushes the ferry away from the wharf.

Ha ha, they have bow thrusters and standard diesel driven stern propellers, not pods which are very different.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby johnsmith » 10 Apr 2019, 15:42

saw my first electric BMW on the freeway today, I think they call it the i3 .... good to start seeing more variety on the roads in electric vehicles. ...

although I have to admit, the BMW looked crap.

Why do electric car makers forget about styling? Tesla's Model S and Jags i pace are so far the only ones I've seen that I like the look off.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby DonDeeHippy » 10 Apr 2019, 20:53

johnsmith wrote:saw my first electric BMW on the freeway today, I think they call it the i3 .... good to start seeing more variety on the roads in electric vehicles. ...

although I have to admit, the BMW looked crap.

Why do electric car makers forget about styling? Tesla's Model S and Jags i pace are so far the only ones I've seen that I like the look off.

Yup ugly and almost useless, then they say there is no demand for them
Hyundai,Kia use existing models so they look good too. :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Cheetah

Postby DonDeeHippy » 11 Apr 2019, 08:22

https://insideevs.com/video-tesla-sentr ... nse-plate/

Please bring tech like Tesla Sentry Mode to all cars … and soon!
When Tesla first launched its Sentry Mode, we were excited and impressed. However, we’ll be honest to say that we didn’t realize its true potential. Now that it has been around for a bit of time, we’re happy to share and report that it’s pretty awesome. Clearly, in today’s crazy world, all automakers should work to eventually implement such a system. While it seems so simple, this technology is proving its worth in more ways than one.

As you can see from the video above, Tesla’s Sentry Mode caught a thief once again. This brazen (and seemingly unaware) criminal was attempting his exploits in broad daylight. Sadly for him, the Tesla owner has a saved and shareable video of his face, as well as the license plate number of the getaway car.

Fortunately, there was nothing in the car to steal. However, unfortunately, the Tesla Model 3 sedan’s rear-quarter window was punched out.

San Francisco Police confirmed they were able to arrest a suspect, 21-year old Jeremiah Jefferson on second-degree burglary charges and a probation violation.

wow, just the other day this feature recorded a truck hitting one of their cars and the construction crew denied doing it …. then the owner got out his phone and showed the video...…. its definitely a game changer...
even a ding on the door can be recorded :purple
DonDeeHippy
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Apr 2019, 09:21

One reason I got the dashcam installed.

Someone, probably my neighbors at the brewshop, backed into my Laser, scraping the front bumper bar and breaking the grill—no note, of course.

Another cunt damaged the front right wing of my Mazda, will get that fixed. No note left in either case, of course. With the dashcam connected to the car battery any future arsewipe hitting my parked car will be contacted by my insurance and/or the cops.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Sprintcyclist » 12 Apr 2019, 08:12

CAR PLAN IS GOING FROM BAD TO NORSE
Norway has been heralded by Labor and Tesla chief executive Elon Musk as the Utopian example of successful electric vehicle policy, but new modelling shows the country is losing $500 million a year subsidising the market.

Electric vehicle sales in the small European country hit 58 per cent of new car sales this year, but those still driving combustion engine cars have been left with the bill.

The tiny country supplements its green initiatives in part through CO2 and roads taxes on fuel which have ­pushed petrol prices to an eye-watering $3 a litre, among the highest in the world.

The average Australian uses 102.5 litres of fuel every month, which costs them $143.5 in total, according to consumer website Canstarblue.

If Australians paid Norwegian rates that figure would rise to $309.55 a month, or an extra $1992 every year in fuel prices. The cost of filling the tank on a Mazda3, the most popular new family vehicle on the market, would jump from $71.40 to $154.02. Any Norwegian wealthy enough to fill an entire Toyota Hilux 80L tank would need $241.

Other costs to taxpayers came from increasing taxation on combustion engine vehicles and offering perks to green drivers, including free parking and full access to bus lanes in some cities.
But other cities took it much further to influence drivers, such as in Oslo, where a toll on gas and diesel cars for entering — and leaving — the capital increased by 74 per cent. It led to a 4000-person protest in 2017.

The Oslo local government then tried to ban all cars from its CBD, which led to even more protests until it backed away from the proposal.

Instead, motorists were just banned from parking anywhere in the CBD.

Labor deputy leader Tanya Plibersek and Tesla chief executive Elon Musk have both pointed to Norway as a case study for Australia’s transport future but both failed to mention the significant economic caveats required for the country’s transition.

“Norway has already ­proven it could be done last month … no question Australia could do this in far fewer than 11 years,” Mr Musk tweeted earlier this week.

Norway also achieved the feat by tapping into the world’s biggest sovereign wealth fund, valued at $1.4 trillion, which was earnt from exporting oil and gas around the world.

The fund still has investments in the mining industry, ties which Norway has promised to slowly sever in a bid to go fully green.

I love it when they quote NORWAY.... who thrive on exporting fossil fuel........if they were truly going GREEN wouldnt they stop SELLING FOSSIL FUEL ABOUT 11 YEARS AGO?
Sprintcyclist
Cheetah

Postby DonDeeHippy » 12 Apr 2019, 08:42

so 500 million a year with a 14 trillion sovereign fund...…. hmmm in 28,000 years at that rate ,it will be all gone :rofl :rofl
hmmm and Australia exports and sells lots of Fossil Fuel, how much is our Sovereign wealth fund..... ohh wait our government just have shit loads of debt...… You forgot to mention Norway has a very high rate of renewable energy as well and are making ICE vehicle's less attractive and EV's more so, lets people breath a lot better... if you think you Fossil fuel car is so good spend a bit of time in a closed garage with it running and let me know how you fare......
DonDeeHippy
Cheetah

Postby johnsmith » 12 Apr 2019, 16:59

You're article is a load of shit sprint

If Australians paid Norwegian rates that figure would rise to $309.55 a month, or an extra $1992 every year in fuel prices. The cost of filling the tank on a Mazda3, the most popular new family vehicle on the market, would jump from $71.40 to $154.02. Any Norwegian wealthy enough to fill an entire Toyota Hilux 80L tank would need $241.

You can't compare costs in Norway to Australia. 15 years ago I paid $120 Australian for one pizza and four glasses of coke. Our average wage back then was about $4ok a year, theirs was about $120 000. BACK THEN.

the country is losing $500 million a year subsidising the market.

isn't that the total cost of scomo's publicity stunt in reopening xmas island? :roll :roll

Also, you forgot to mention that the crap you posted is from the smellograph, the least honest paper in the country.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby DonDeeHippy » 13 Apr 2019, 07:02

johnsmith wrote:You're article is a load of shit sprint

You can't compare costs in Norway to Australia. 15 years ago I paid $120 Australian for one pizza and four glasses of coke. Our average wage back then was about $4ok a year, theirs was about $120 000. BACK THEN.

the country is losing $500 million a year subsidising the market.

isn't that the total cost of scomo's publicity stunt in reopening xmas island? :roll :roll

Also, you forgot to mention that the crap you posted is from the smellograph, the least honest paper in the country.

and another point in AUstralia the fossil fuel industry gets billion of subsidies and tax breaks to keep going...….
If a government spends some money to help its people to change over to a transport that wont kill them then how can that be a bad thing ? :purple
DonDeeHippy
Cheetah

Postby DonDeeHippy » 16 Apr 2019, 08:06

https://insideevs.com/tesla-sentry-mode ... t-and-run/
[youtube]http://youtu.be/ZjjBOK-gnWk[/youtube]
It seems people are still quite unaware of Tesla Sentry Mode.
People’s lack of knowledge about Tesla Sentry Mode could be viewed as good or bad depending on the situation and how you look at it. If more of the public knew that Tesla vehicles can record happenings around the car, they may make very different choices. However, we know that cameras don’t always deter criminals. What if it’s not really a crime, but some type of minor incident such as a hit-and-run in a parking lot? Would it play out better if the person who hit the car was aware that they had been caught on camera? In this case, it may have for sure.
Since most folks don’t know about Sentry Mode, they may leave the scene thinking that they’ve gotten away with it. Once they do leave the scene, the “accident” turns into a crime. Leaving the scene of an accident is not something the authorities take lightly. Sadly, however, in many cases, if you get hit in a parking lot, the police may never find the person who did the damage. That is, unless you have a car with cameras capturing the situation as it unfolds.
If someone hit your Tesla and is aware that the incident was recorded, they may take ownership of the situation. They could leave you their insurance information, which could make the situation play out much more smoothly on both ends. If the incident turns into a hit-and-run violation, it can get a whole lot more messy for the owner and the “criminal.”
The above YouTube video reveals an incident involving former traffic court Judge Willie Singletary. He’s now running for the Philadelphia City Council. He accidentally backs his Cadillac Escalade into a Tesla Model 3. Singletary’s shown hitting the car and eventually leaving the scene. One would think a traffic court judge with future political aspirations would make different choices, but apparently not.

This is hilarious a ex traffic judge runs into a car and drives away...... More and more cars will have this feature, Tesla have had the "Sentry Mode" now for a few months and the YouTube are piling up of people hitting their cars and driving off, also they have automatic cam as they drive and lots of accidents etc happening too.
Ohh the sentry mode work like this.

If the cameras detect motion or if the car is disturbed then it will record what's happening for a few minutes, they have also caught a thief that broke a read window and search a model 3 as well. :purple
DonDeeHippy
Cheetah

Postby DonDeeHippy » 20 Apr 2019, 06:46

https://insideevs.com/proterra-credit-f ... e-program/

“The battery leasing credit facility, the first of its kind in the North American public transit industry, is expected to lower the upfront costs of zero-emission buses and put Proterra electric buses at roughly the same price as a diesel bus.
By decoupling the batteries from the sale of its buses, Proterra enables transit customers to purchase the electric bus and lease the batteries over the 12-year lifetime of the bus. As a result of the battery lease, the initial capital expense for the electric bus will be similar to a diesel or CNG bus, and customers can utilize the operating funds previously earmarked for fuel to pay for the battery lease. Additionally, under the 12-year battery lease, Proterra will own and guarantee the performance of the batteries through the life of the bus, decreasing operator risk. The battery lease agreement also provides a performance warranty on the batteries and new batteries at mid-life to help customers ensure they always have plenty of energy to meet their route needs and hedge against future replacement battery costs. This battery lease program removes one of the biggest barriers to electric bus adoption, and transit agencies will now be able to modernize fleets faster and achieve their zero carbon goals sooner.”

What a good idea and a good guarantee that the bus will work for the full life as well.....Hope it comes to Australia :purple :purple
DonDeeHippy
Cheetah

Postby johnsmith » 20 Apr 2019, 14:10

DonDeeHippy wrote:What a good idea and a good guarantee that the bus will work for the full life as well.....Hope it comes to Australia :purple :purple

sounds like a win / win to me. The customer is assured a battery for the life of the bus without having to worry about replacement costs, and Proterra creates an on going revenue stream.

clever thinking all around.
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Dax » 20 Apr 2019, 14:30

DonDeeHippy wrote:https://insideevs.com/proterra-credit-facility-battery-lease-program/

“The battery leasing credit facility, the first of its kind in the North American public transit industry, is expected to lower the upfront costs of zero-emission buses and put Proterra electric buses at roughly the same price as a diesel bus.
By decoupling the batteries from the sale of its buses, Proterra enables transit customers to purchase the electric bus and lease the batteries over the 12-year lifetime of the bus. As a result of the battery lease, the initial capital expense for the electric bus will be similar to a diesel or CNG bus, and customers can utilize the operating funds previously earmarked for fuel to pay for the battery lease. Additionally, under the 12-year battery lease, Proterra will own and guarantee the performance of the batteries through the life of the bus, decreasing operator risk. The battery lease agreement also provides a performance warranty on the batteries and new batteries at mid-life to help customers ensure they always have plenty of energy to meet their route needs and hedge against future replacement battery costs. This battery lease program removes one of the biggest barriers to electric bus adoption, and transit agencies will now be able to modernize fleets faster and achieve their zero carbon goals sooner.”

What a good idea and a good guarantee that the bus will work for the full life as well.....Hope it comes to Australia :purple :purple

Smart people, they realise they can't lose with leasing lithium batteries. Unlike lead acid where recycling only pays for the lead weight, lithium technologies are fully recyclable and you can get approximately 2/3 of your original price back when recycling. The business that starts a lithium recycling plant in Aus, will make a fortune. When in china a few years ago checking out the different lithium chemistries, got shown how they repair and recycle lifepo4 and it's a pretty easy thing to do. Some of the other chemistries like li-poly, are more difficult to repair and recycle, but not lifepo4. That;s why we went down the lifepo4 path and not cheaper chemistries.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby pinkeye » 21 Apr 2019, 02:23

5 years down the track we'll be wondering what all the fuss was about.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby DonDeeHippy » 21 Apr 2019, 07:09

pinkeye wrote:5 years down the track we'll be wondering what all the fuss was about.

I hope so Pink, its just getting a foot in the door with Aussie politics seems to be the hardest part. :purple
DonDeeHippy
Cheetah

Postby Dax » 21 Apr 2019, 09:56

pinkeye wrote:5 years down the track we'll be wondering what all the fuss was about.

Five years time, you'll be wondering whether you will survive the next year and not about your car.

As for EV's, this and next year will be the eye openers, Rivian is introducing their cars here and they are half the price of tesla and go further in 4x4 luxury with a range of 680klm. Next year MG will introduce their low cost 4 door EV which has a range of 480klm and under $50000, then there's Hyundai, who will introduce their low cost go anywhere EV with a range of 640klms and cheaper again. Add the new Kia and great wall EV's, plus many other manufacturers entering the market, will really open up the ev market and pricing will drop dramatically then.

Love the wonderful spelling of the threads heading and the author probably has a degree in emptiness, certainly not the English language.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 21 Apr 2019, 10:33

Piss off with that sort of smarmy shit, Dax!

’Hippy has been following and posting about EVs for some time. So his spelling is not the best, I can overlook that because of the content, and humor, in ’Hippy’s posts.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 21 Apr 2019, 11:09

HBS Guy wrote:Piss off with that sort of smarmy shit, Dax!

’Hippy has been following and posting about EVs for some time. So his spelling is not the best, I can overlook that because of the content, and humor, in ’Hippy’s posts.

Tanks Munk :bike
DonDeeHippy
Cheetah

Postby DonDeeHippy » 21 Apr 2019, 11:32

Dax wrote:

Five years time, you'll be wondering whether you will survive the next year and not about your car.

As for EV's, this and next year will be the eye openers, Rivian is introducing their cars here and they are half the price of tesla and go further in 4x4 luxury with a range of 680klm. Next year MG will introduce their low cost 4 door EV which has a range of 480klm and under $50000, then there's Hyundai, who will introduce their low cost go anywhere EV with a range of 640klms and cheaper again. Add the new Kia and great wall EV's, plus many other manufacturers entering the market, will really open up the ev market and pricing will drop dramatically then.

Love the wonderful spelling of the threads heading and the author probably has a degree in emptiness, certainly not the English language.

sorry my spelling offends you Dax....
We didn't all goto university like some.

Hey the Rivian is a 4wd F100 beater and will only start going into production next year.... it will be years before we see any in Australia (right hand drive models). Sorry but they are not half the price of Tesla's, they are very expensive because they are very high end including their SUV (the Tesla Model X competitor). As they will be starting off it will take years before they start selling in Numbers as did Tesla. Out of all the start ups in the west though they seem to be the only ones that are setting themselves up right like Tesla did.
Ohh and even the Rivian isn't anywhere near as efficient as the Tesla , the rivian SUV goes 645km with a 180kwh battery and the X goes 565 km's with a 100kwh.... Other manufacturers are getting better but a long way behind.

The MG looks promising a hopefully its a well made Chinese car and taken seriously unlike the other chinese cars around. It wont have to much range though as it only has a 45kwh battery pack (the Hyundai Kona has a 64kwh battery and can do 400km's) so it might get 250-300km's range which is still better than the Nissan Leaf....If its only $40,000 it might do well ,even though its relatively low range and built and owned by a Chinese company.

Hyundai is the same with the 640km car, they haven't even released a name for their concept. Hyundai are however making some nice EV's but are plagued with battery supply.

Tesla with their new low cost Model 3 is the best value for money in EV's beating the Hyundai in the USA, so i couldn't see why when they are released in Australia it wont be the same.
The biggest problem with most car makers if they make good EV's they will loose sales on their higher profit, cheaper to make ICE vehicle's. :purple
DonDeeHippy
Cheetah

PreviousNext

Return to Global Warming and Australian Energy Market