Global Sea Ice anomaly

For scientific papers on AGW, record happenings in the Arctic and the Greenland, Himalayan and Antarctic icesheets. Also weatherstorms and higher than average rainfalls and other extreme weather events.

Global Sea Ice anomaly

Postby MilesAway » 25 Dec 2017, 20:32

MilesAway
Cheetah

spamone: Animal

Re: Global Sea Ice anomaly

Postby HBS Guy » 25 Dec 2017, 21:20

Getting a bit scary, just how big the anomalies are getting. Less sea ice = less ice shelves = retreat of more glaciers.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby MilesAway » 25 Dec 2017, 21:49

Be interesting to see if last years weirdness continues... being that it's hitting the middle of Summer in the SH in a few weeks that anomaly is bound to get bigger but it may not catch 2016.

Antarctica is just not making any sense but I still think the global sea ice anomaly is worth checking out because it's just another data set...
MilesAway
Cheetah

Postby MilesAway » 11 Jan 2018, 12:51

https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index. ... 136.0.html

I must say that the table (reply 119) provided here doesn’t really show much of a trend. This is because it’s a non-localised metric but this is the very reason the system is called complex: because many indicators can and should be used to look at it... when/if this does start to show a declining trend then the world is definitely fucked!

Straight lines are what you don’t want to see!!

:yellow
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MilesAway
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Jan 2018, 13:00

There is a trend there. First few rows of the table have 18K or high 17Ks, 2016/17 talking about 16Ks to 15Ks.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby MilesAway » 11 Jan 2018, 13:35

HBS Guy wrote:There is a trend there. First few rows of the table have 18K or high 17Ks, 2016/17 talking about 16Ks to 15Ks.

But the four years preceding it were in the seventeens!

I am being a harsh critic, of course, but that’s what is required!

The eighteens have gone, that’s for sure, ...but that’s about all that can be said for sure regarding global sea ice imho!

It’s a non-localised metric, for sure, but it’s just another data set which deserves its due interpretation!

Too much noise, then that is the observation. Clear signal, then that is the observation!

:yak yak
MilesAway
Cheetah

Postby MilesAway » 11 Jan 2018, 13:43

I suppose I’m simply desperate to see the 2010s average!

There is a trend, you are right, excepting for ‘12, ‘13, ‘14, ‘15 ....

... basically it is my opinion once you see global sea ice trend, ...and that implies the tendency to trend ever stronger otherwise it’s simply not a trend in the first place, you’ve got actual trouble so I am kind of looking for that glimmer of non-trend to confirm by suspicion that actual global sea ice decline means the world is on fire which it isn’t, atleast not in my world!
MilesAway
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Jan 2018, 14:10

Nah, there is a trend. After the first 3-4 years there are only two years with high 17K figures.

2012 was a record melt year in the Arctic and on Greenland. Ice recovered a bit after that.

If you graphed the years and ice extent (to one significant figure) then drew a straight line of best fit you would see it. Natural phenomenon are MUCH more variable than a chemist or physicist sees in his lab. That is why statistics were invented.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby MilesAway » 13 Jan 2018, 15:04

HBS Guy wrote:Nah, there is a trend. After the first 3-4 years there are only two years with high 17K figures.

2012 was a record melt year in the Arctic and on Greenland. Ice recovered a bit after that.

If you graphed the years and ice extent (to one significant figure) then drew a straight line of best fit you would see it. Natural phenomenon are MUCH more variable than a chemist or physicist sees in his lab. That is why statistics were invented.

Ok,

Fair enough there is a trend.

I started this thread to court controversy because it is an important discussion!

:beer
MilesAway
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Jan 2018, 18:22

Yeah, it is important. But the trend is to less and less sea ice.

This will have implications for climate and weather at higher latitudes.

Heh, Booby talks about loops but he has no fucking idea really about any of this.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby MilesAway » 13 Jan 2018, 19:25

HBS Guy wrote:Yeah, it is important. But the trend is to less and less sea ice.

This will have implications for climate and weather at higher latitudes.

Heh, Booby talks about loops but he has no fucking idea really about any of this.

I think booby knows fully well the Implictions of all this!

It’s called ly8ng through your back teeth!

Just some dickhead trying to ... well I will save the language shall I?!!!?

:zzzz

He even admits to posting contrarian ideas for the sake of it so I think he hates himself, personally, but we all go through that!

:yak yak
MilesAway
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Jan 2018, 20:35

Use whatever language you like DRAH, just don’t call people pedos!

Yeah, Booby and his idol Dubyne KNOW that there is less and less sea ice extent and less and less thick, multiyear ice—look up “Arctic Mission.”
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby MilesAway » 14 Jan 2018, 16:46

HBS Guy wrote:Use whatever language you like DRAH, just don’t call people pedos!

Yeah, Booby and his idol Dubyne KNOW that there is less and less sea ice extent and less and less thick, multiyear ice—look up “Arctic Mission.”

Multi year sea ice is certainly the biggest concern!

Now, THAT is a trend.

Trump has many arctic sea ice minimas to deal with before he has a crack at a second term and I think he will be forced to regulate if he wants to win because of the trending state of multi year sea ice...

Either way I’m sure it will be an issue in 2020!
MilesAway
Cheetah

Postby MilesAway » 14 Jan 2018, 18:32

HBS Guy wrote:Use whatever language you like DRAH, just don’t call people pedos!

https://mobile.twitter.com/ArcticMissio ... 2Fabout%2F
MilesAway
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Jan 2018, 19:25

Fascinating!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Feb 2018, 19:51

(The entire Arctic is an incredible 5.5 C warmer than normal today. Meanwhile, Arctic sea ice extent has plunged, once-more, into record low ranges. Image source: Climate Reanalyzer.)

It’s just a snapshot. But day after day, week after week, month after month, the story has been much the same throughout Fall and Winter of 2017-2018.

And as during last year’s ridiculously warm Arctic winter, the sea ice has taken a considerable pounding. Yesterday dropping to a new record low extent of 13.774 million square kilometers. Beating out the previous record low for the day set just last year. And dipping more than 1.8 million square kilometers below the 1979-1990 average. A period that already featured greatly reduced Arctic sea ice cover when compared to extents seen in the early 20th Century.

https://robertscribbler.com/2018/02/12/arctic-sea-ice-extent-at-record-lows-as-winter-temperatures-soar/
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Feb 2018, 13:50

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Return to Global Warming and Australian Energy Market