Electric Vehicles this week

For scientific papers on AGW, record happenings in the Arctic and the Greenland, Himalayan and Antarctic icesheets. Also weatherstorms and higher than average rainfalls and other extreme weather events.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Re: Electric Vehicals this week

Postby Dax » 31 Mar 2019, 16:56

Sprintcyclist wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:https://www.ace-ev.com.au/ace-cargo/
looks to have a range of 150-200km's , it would almost work for me as I need to travel 180km every week to get to work.... not a bad looking little car hope they do well :purple

Looks really good. Give it a charge on wednesday night.

............. Key benefits
Australian made electric commercial vehicle. Drive range on one charge 150 – 200km at partial load . Lower fleet greenhouse emissions by over 70%*
Home charging period – maximum 8 hours. Lower running costs by up to 85%* .0-50km/h acceleration in under 7sec
Maximum speed 100km/h .Maximum pay load 500kg ..................

.......... * Electric at $1.80 / 50km vs petrol average of $9 / 50km. Source http://www.fleetcare.com.au. .......

https://www.ace-ev.com.au/ace-cargo/

Might be a bit slow on acceleration, prob be ok in traffic, in a few years some will have a better acceleration.
Will have no or low service costs.

Seven seconds for the quarter mile is way faster than your average car today. This is not the first Aus electric vehicle, there are a number of manufacturers building and running them, the link I posted earlier proves that and they have been on sale for at least a year.
Dax
Cheetah

spamone: Animal

Postby Bongalong » 31 Mar 2019, 17:20

"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Sprintcyclist » 31 Mar 2019, 17:49

Bongalong wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Electric vehicles have lightning acceleration. That chews up charge, of course.

180Km be OK for me in Adelaide but in Tassie I fear not enough—have to travel for all but the most minor things: could likely manage but have to make sure it always starts with ≥95% charge.

:hlo Also, hills! Plenty of constant terrain to cope with: that has to chew the juice so to speak!!

:Hi

Bet, yeh: saying all that it presents the most excellent of excellent challenges--> WOULD ELECTRIC CARS COPE IN TYPICAL RURAL TASSIE?
:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :scare :PC :PC :PC :PC :PC :c

AH, a hilly terrain is an issue.
Perhaps a zone in your garage set up so the EV charges automatically everytime it is parked there ?

Look everyone, I am more unbiased on issues than what is said of me.
If anyone wants to attack an issue I have because it opposes their total view, that is your problem.
I will not answer anyone who wants to argue every point endlessly.
It does not mean you have 'won', it means I won't waste my time.

the acceleration was 7 seconds to go from 0 to 50 km/h.
Not for a 1/4 mile or to 100 km/h.
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby Bongalong » 31 Mar 2019, 18:02

Of course a hilly terrain is an issue: like it is with every powered vehicle ya f'n numpty :bike

****** let's just send all the kids to get their legs blown off and pretend it's free money yay :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby johnsmith » 31 Mar 2019, 19:44

looks to have a range of 150-200km's , it would almost work for me as I need to travel 180km every week to get to work.... not a bad looking little car hope they do well :purple

if it was a full sized van I'd imagine it would be snapped up. As it is it's a bit small for my purposes. I'd also have to plug it in every night.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 31 Mar 2019, 20:05

If the vehicle used regenerative braking hills wouldn’t matter all that much (nothing is 100% efficient.)

Regenerative braking is why electric vehicles will win out.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Sprintcyclist » 31 Mar 2019, 20:14

HBS Guy wrote:If the vehicle used regenerative braking hills wouldn’t matter all that much (nothing is 100% efficient.)

Yes, regenerative braking would help a huge amount.
Enough to ..... smooth out the hills a lot
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby Bongalong » 01 Apr 2019, 10:36

HBS Guy wrote:If the vehicle used regenerative braking hills wouldn’t matter all that much (nothing is 100% efficient.)

Really, it's that significant!??!

Time for the future methinks!

:bike :bike
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Bongalong » 01 Apr 2019, 10:40

johnsmith wrote:

if it was a full sized van I'd imagine it would be snapped up. As it is it's a bit small for my purposes. I'd also have to plug it in every night.

I think there's a very real power to weight ratio thing with battery vehicles.

For instance they could never build an electric passenger plane. Apparently they have ideas for some smaller models so as soon as I said that the first time I automatically got corrected- but the point still stands(even if as a shadow of it's once former self lol :bgrin ) as large model passenger planes would appear to be completely out of the question.
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Dax » 01 Apr 2019, 12:13

Bongalong wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

I think there's a very real power to weight ratio thing with battery vehicles.

For instance they could never build an electric passenger plane. Apparently they have ideas for some smaller models so as soon as I said that the first time I automatically got corrected- but the point still stands(even if as a shadow of it's once former self lol :bgrin ) as large model passenger planes would appear to be completely out of the question.

There are already a number of electric private and passenger planes and within the next 5 years they will be common in the skies. Of course they will be smaller than current planes, but the airline industry is moving to smaller planes because they are economically better. What we will see is lots of small electric commuter planes to begin with, then we will see long distance planes which will use the stratosphere and its winds to glide them along, using electric power to get up there and down again.

The running costs will drop by well over 70%, they will change over battery banks at each landing which will increase safety and turn around times. Because of their configuration and lightness, if they fall out of the sky, they will glide down and not plummet to the ground catching fire, as heavy fossil fuel planes do.

Want to get a bit of real knowledge, instead of constantly thinking having your mind in the past is the reality. Check out these links and the many hundreds more

https://duckduckgo.com/html?q=electric% ... r%20planes
Dax
Cheetah

Postby Bongalong » 01 Apr 2019, 12:37

I look forward to the idea of electric planes............ to me it is the ultimate of electric vehicle capability.

For a long time I was told it was impossible............. I was basically told that electric cars were around at the start of last century and they abandoned them and never really worked on batteries for the majority of last century.

That's dodgy brothers central that is!!!!!!!!!

Then again........ I suppose the raising of standing armies became the heaviest of political concerns and we all know science is heavily poltical.... thus it all adds up quite perfectly actually :Hi
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Bongalong » 01 Apr 2019, 12:47

https://www.zdnet.com/article/the-long-road-to-an-electric-airplane-motor/

A big problem would seem to be this quote: "Airplane emissions account for about 4 percent of world greenhouse gas emissions, according to the European Commission."

Where lies the green investor impetus?
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Bongalong » 01 Apr 2019, 14:36

Some more interesting words,

Current commercially available batteries have around 1/50th of the energy density of hydrocarbon fuels. But that is not the only thing that matters. There is also the efficiency with which a motor uses that energy, and here electric systems far outshine internal combustion engines, converting three or four times as much of the energy in their “fuel” into useful work. If instead of energy coming in we look at power going out, the relative disadvantage of batteries drops from a hopeless-sounding 50:1 to a merely desperate 15:1.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/can-there-be-an-electric-airliner/ar-BBV00cy
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Sprintcyclist » 01 Apr 2019, 19:14

Bongalong wrote:I look forward to the idea of electric planes............ to me it is the ultimate of electric vehicle capability.

For a long time I was told it was impossible............. I was basically told that electric cars were around at the start of last century and they abandoned them and never really worked on batteries for the majority of last century.

Then again........ I suppose the raising of standing armies became the heaviest of political concerns and we all know science is heavily poltical.... thus it all adds up quite perfectly actually :Hi

EVs have more scope for improvement.
Internal combustion engines are about as efficient as they will ever be.

EV's are probably a viable alternative to ICE as they are for most users.
EVs would be viable for 70+% of the trips driven now
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Apr 2019, 19:24

90% of driving is commuting to work or shops, don’t need a huge ICE vehicle for that, especially if you have solar cells/wind power and can charge the car overnight.

With a 400Km range I would be happy to drive a EV to Melbourne—one longish stop midway is advisable anyway.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Apr 2019, 19:26

Solar panels have a long way to go in terms of efficiency too, offering more cost savings to running a car.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Sprintcyclist » 01 Apr 2019, 21:10

Have permanent solar panels mounted/painted on the EV.

When it is parked at the bus stop car park all day, it is charging
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby DonDeeHippy » 02 Apr 2019, 04:59

Sprintcyclist wrote:Have permanent solar panels mounted/painted on the EV.

http://statements.qld.gov.au/Statement/ ... queensland

World-first solar-powered car unleashed in Queensland
An innovative Queensland company is claiming line honours in the developmental race for the world's first commercially available solar-powered car.
Minister for Innovation, Science and the Digital Economy Leeanne Enoch today (Thursday) officially launched the Arrow STF (Sports Touring Framework), a two-seater ‘Cruiser Class’ solar sports coupe that has a top speed of 150km per hour and can travel 1000km before needing to recharge.
Ms Enoch said the car – which was designed and built in Brisbane by Clenergy TeamArrow – represents “Queensland ingenuity at its best” and was a “game changer for the passenger vehicle market with potential to boost the state’s economy through new products, services and jobs”.
“More than that, this innovation has the potential to reduce the $4.2 billion spent each year by Queensland households on petrol by as much as 90 per cent in the foreseeable future,” Ms Enoch said.
“In September last year, when the Palaszczuk Government announced Clenergy TeamArrow would establish their testing site and workshop at Hamilton, they promised us a prototype vehicle in time for the 2017 Bridgestone World Solar Challenge – and they have delivered,” Ms Enoch said.
“The solar vehicle unveiled today at the testing track is the racing version of the Arrow STF which will shortly leave for the Northern Territory to compete in a 3000km endurance challenge through the Red Centre from Darwin to Adelaide starting 8 October 2017.

“A customisable version is available to the general public and I understand that orders are already rolling in,” she said.
The Arrow STF includes proprietary solar technology designed, built and tested by Clenergy TeamArrow at their Hamilton workshop.
Clenergy TeamArrow Founder Cameron Tuesley said, “Our energy management system includes a highly efficient solar array that generates 1.1 kilowatts total power.”
“The car is capable of self-charging from sunlight as well as from the electricity grid.

there is also one in Europe being built with panels' that's supposed to add 20km range on a sunny day :purple
the qld one is very light and expensive I think about $250,000 :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby DonDeeHippy » 02 Apr 2019, 05:06

https://insideevs.com/tesla-model-3-top ... therlands/

Tesla Model 3 shines in the Netherlands
According to official stats, in March, the Tesla Model 3 was the best-selling car of any kind in the Netherlands with 2,195 new registrations (5.6% of all sales).
We failed to spot a single model that would be above 1,000 registrations, and we believe that the second-best plug-in model is below 500 (full sales report from the Netherlands is expected later this month). :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Apr 2019, 08:18

Good, good, nice to see!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 02 Apr 2019, 16:05

Sprintcyclist wrote:
Bongalong wrote:I look forward to the idea of electric planes............ to me it is the ultimate of electric vehicle capability.

EVs have more scope for improvement.
Internal combustion engines are about as efficient as they will ever be.

EV's are probably a viable alternative to ICE as they are for most users.
EVs would be viable for 70+% of the trips driven now

It really depends on being able to develop trucks for industry! Sure, electric will never do heavy long haul but trucks at all will be enough to be significant!
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Bongalong » 02 Apr 2019, 16:06

HBS Guy wrote:Solar panels have a long way to go in terms of efficiency too, offering more cost savings to running a car.

Do they? Why aren't they in the-once-was-a-clever-country's sights? :yak yak :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Bongalong » 02 Apr 2019, 16:07

The simple ideas are often the best!
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Bongalong » 02 Apr 2019, 16:08

DonDeeHippy wrote:

http://statements.qld.gov.au/Statement/ ... queensland

World-first solar-powered car unleashed in Queensland
An innovative Queensland company is claiming line honours in the developmental race for the world's first commercially available solar-powered car.
Minister for Innovation, Science and the Digital Economy Leeanne Enoch today (Thursday) officially launched the Arrow STF (Sports Touring Framework), a two-seater ‘Cruiser Class’ solar sports coupe that has a top speed of 150km per hour and can travel 1000km before needing to recharge.
Ms Enoch said the car – which was designed and built in Brisbane by Clenergy TeamArrow – represents “Queensland ingenuity at its best” and was a “game changer for the passenger vehicle market with potential to boost the state’s economy through new products, services and jobs”.
“More than that, this innovation has the potential to reduce the $4.2 billion spent each year by Queensland households on petrol by as much as 90 per cent in the foreseeable future,” Ms Enoch said.
“In September last year, when the Palaszczuk Government announced Clenergy TeamArrow would establish their testing site and workshop at Hamilton, they promised us a prototype vehicle in time for the 2017 Bridgestone World Solar Challenge – and they have delivered,” Ms Enoch said.
“The solar vehicle unveiled today at the testing track is the racing version of the Arrow STF which will shortly leave for the Northern Territory to compete in a 3000km endurance challenge through the Red Centre from Darwin to Adelaide starting 8 October 2017.

“A customisable version is available to the general public and I understand that orders are already rolling in,” she said.
The Arrow STF includes proprietary solar technology designed, built and tested by Clenergy TeamArrow at their Hamilton workshop.
Clenergy TeamArrow Founder Cameron Tuesley said, “Our energy management system includes a highly efficient solar array that generates 1.1 kilowatts total power.”
“The car is capable of self-charging from sunlight as well as from the electricity grid.

there is also one in Europe being built with panels' that's supposed to add 20km range on a sunny day :purple
the qld one is very light and expensive I think about $250,000 :purple

WHAT IS IT'S ACCELERATION AND ABILITY TO KEEP UP WITH PETROL CARS?
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Apr 2019, 16:10

Could run an electric overhead wire along our main roads—other countries roll out more elaborate infrastructure for trains and trucks can get their power from that—look up “trolley buses.”

Would need a really really dense energy source—and that presents dangers too. Maybe hydrogen produced using RE/nuke power?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Global Warming and Australian Energy Market