Special Feature: Dr Turncoat and the wrong NBN prescription

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Special Feature: Dr Turncoat and the wrong NBN prescription

Postby HBS Guy » 11 May 2015, 18:55

Had a look at the Minister for Nobbling Telecommunications, Mr Malcolm Turncoat lately? He has aged hugely in the last couple of years. Wonder if that is due to his killing the NBN and replacing it with a mishmash of FTTB/FTTN/HFC that is unable to boost the economy? FTTH can. Stands to reason. If we are living in the Information Age then it is obvious that being able to get information to where it is needed quickly and reliably would be a good thing. That is what FTTH would have done. The MTM mishmash can increase speeds a bit tho some will suffer a fall in speed due to the nature of VDSLx but it will not be a game changing exercise anymore. Does it make sense to buy the copper to run FTTN over it? Doesn’t look like it to me!

Going to be hard for the 2016 Labor govt to roll out FTTH after all the crap the Libs pulled. But FTTDp offers a way to get it done cheaply and quickly: Fibre to the Distribution point, a mini node that serves about 4 premises the owners of which which can choose to use the existing copper tail into their property or pay for fibre to be rolled out in their premises. Whatever, pulling fibre closer and closer to houses, businesses and government services must be one of the highest priorities! Build that economy UP!

Now, we have seen Netflix arrive here and since they have arrived here a lot of us have seen our copper internet stagger under the load. Netflix have done more than that—it has blown apart the ridiculous assumptions of Capt Turncoat’s much lauded (by Capt Turncoat who however didn’t wait for his crony to write but pre-empted its finding, almost as if he knew what that finding was going to be, oh, surely not? so–called Cost Benefit Analysis

Business Spectator wrote a great column about this, you will see an extract and link right here.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Re: Special Feature: Dr Turncoat and the wrong NBN prescript

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Jun 2015, 05:49

You can see the copper just isn’t up to high speed by the fact that if you get the stated speed once per day then the copper doesn’t need to be “remediated” (i.e. new copper rolled out!)

http://blog.jxeeno.com/nbn-criteria-for ... -revealed/

It just gets worse and worse! Dr Turncoat’s wrong prescription is not just wrong, not just inadequate we won’t get a correct prescription from him! Copper remediation is just not going to happen! :sad
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Jun 2015, 15:55

If you look at my Climate Change thread post of today you will see me comment on how the real NBN could have helped fight climate change by reducing road and air traffic by telepresence, telehealth and telecommuting.

This worst ever Australian government, this shambles in every day speak, just sets us back in every way on every day!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 02 Oct 2017, 22:42

HBS Guy wrote:If you look at my Climate Change thread post of today you will see me comment on how the real NBN could have helped fight climate change by reducing road and air traffic by telepresence, telehealth and telecommuting.

This worst ever Australian government, this shambles in every day speak, just sets us back in every way on every day!

It would be a poor joke if it weren't for it's negative impacts. With them is approaches a real disaster for Australian business and communications across the board.
An utter fiasco.
I know because I have spent the good part of 18 months battling with my provider, and NBN, to get the service I had been paying for but not receiving.

I cannot tell you the waste of public monies involved in just MY ONE CASE.
The government has crowed about the unexpected increase in employment. Well... I have to tell you IMHO it has got one hell of a lot to do with increased contracting to NBN, and call centre staff dealing with complaints. I had 6 different techs from NBN come to my property over this period. 6..all did the same job... none knew anything about what the other contractors had determined.!! So contractors were paid SIX different times, to SIX different outfits, for the SAME JOB. !! $240 per hour.
Those attendances to my premise involved up to 50 hours on the ph to Telstra and NBN, and I spoke to more than 12 different operatives, all of whom wanted , and apparently needed to start from scratch EVRY FRIKKIN time. And I'm pretty sure they are located off-shore, despite what they say, because they all sound like people from the Phillipines or Malaysia to me. SO frustrating.. and it seems THEIR COMPUTERS ARE SO ineffective, and poorly linked, that they have a lot of trouble finding prior details. :grn

EVENTUALLY........
it was accepted that at 1.5 kms from the closed NBN Hub, I was 400 metres outside the zone of service, and should never have been signed up. THIS from the LAST NBN TECH, who was quite upfront about it. MIND YOU, they were all on a timeframe because I lodged a formal complaint, which has a finite period for resolution, after which compensation is payable.

So TELSTRA have credited my account with this, AND will supply a free $30 Boost per month package until such time as NBN is improved in my area.

A small victory that took way too much wasted time effort and money.

NBN is a bad joke :grn
sleep is bliss: do it as often and for as long as you need.
pinkeye
Feral cat

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Oct 2017, 22:45

A very bad joke. Dunno about supposed better economic conditions—could just be temp workers for Christmass?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Oct 2017, 22:52

I am thinking hard about the coming summer. Is going to be a hot one and the electricity generation/transmission will not be able to keep up. If we had ubiquitous FTTH and smart metres load sharing could be done in a sophiosticated way, But we don’t have FTTH so blackouts will happen.

I am going to buy a 2 panel solar system/car battery turned power pack/30L car fridge to keep food good, shade cloth along the north-facing back verandah to keep the house a bit cool.

Can”t wait to get to Tassie: heat wave, all of 32°C!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Oct 2017, 22:52

I am thinking hard about the coming summer. Is going to be a hot one and the electricity generation/transmission will not be able to keep up. If we had ubiquitous FTTH and smart metres load sharing could be done in a sophiosticated way, But we don’t have FTTH so blackouts will happen.

I am going to buy a 2 panel solar system/car battery turned power pack/30L car fridge to keep food good, shade cloth along the north-facing back verandah to keep the house a bit cool.

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 02 Oct 2017, 23:40

HBS Guy wrote:I am thinking hard about the coming summer. Is going to be a hot one and the electricity generation/transmission will not be able to keep up. If we had ubiquitous FTTH and smart metres load sharing could be done in a sophiosticated way, But we don’t have FTTH so blackouts will happen.

I'm no fan of Summer. Who is? Way too hot.
Aussie
Hero of the Soviet Union

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Oct 2017, 23:45

Hotter than normal—and blackouts. hence taking some precautions.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 03 Oct 2017, 00:13

Not my fave time that's for sure. I guess I could think about a stand alone set-up, say solar, altho in the past I've been thinking generator. On tank water..no power = no water.
All I really need is power for the fridge and the water pump. But not necessarily at the same time. So.. fridge on till I need water, then switcheroo. The state government has recently spent humongous $ to duplicate power lines out this way. Ignoring long term organised opposition it went through anyway. To ensure supply. THERE BETTER NOT be any power outages here this summer. :mad
sleep is bliss: do it as often and for as long as you need.
pinkeye
Feral cat

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Oct 2017, 00:18

SA a bit isolated. Need some REAL windfarms, pumped storage hydro (are suitable places) and decent sized solar.

But need Gigawatt, all these renewables are megawatt and not all deliverable.

The battery at the Jamestown windfarm is mainly for supplying a steady reference voltage I think. The transmission network is gimcrack done as cheap as possible, not inspiring confidence.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby davo » 19 Oct 2017, 20:10

A heads up for those that are interested this coming Mondays 4Corners is titled 'Whats wrong with the NBN'
davo
Chihuahua

Postby davo » 19 Oct 2017, 20:36

Aussie continuing on from the Ozpol thread FTTN is a clusterfuck your best bet is to get informed
davo
Chihuahua

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Oct 2017, 20:40

OK, will have a look and report back.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby davo » 19 Oct 2017, 20:41

Monk you know more than me can you add anything to help Aussie
davo
Chihuahua

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Oct 2017, 21:01

If you are going to be put on FTTN there is one sound bit of advice I can give, obtained from the people on Whirlpool who do this stuff for a living:

Look for a licensed cabler (aerial installers are usually licensed cablers.

Get him to come and rip out all your existing phone lines, phone points etc.

Then get him to run new, quality cable (cat 5 IIRC but check on that) from where the landline comes in to your residence to where you want the modem to go.

Too tight to do the above? Rip out all phone points bar the one you want to plug the modem into.

Clean new cable, one phone point do make a difference between miserable to acceptable copper internet.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby davo » 19 Oct 2017, 21:10

Yeah thats why I pointed Aussie to Whirlpool I posed a query as to what speed I could expect and was surprised to find how lucky I am.
Interestingly a guy who lives lives less than a kilometre from me posed a query the gist of the reply was sorry mate youre fucked
davo
Chihuahua

Postby Aussie » 19 Oct 2017, 21:13

HBS Guy wrote:If you are going to be put on FTTN there is one sound bit of advice I can give, obtained from the people on Whirlpool who do this stuff for a living:

Look for a licensed cabler (aerial installers are usually licensed cablers.

Get him to come and rip out all your existing phone lines, phone points etc.

Then get him to run new, quality cable (cat 5 IIRC but check on that) from where the landline comes in to your residence to where you want the modem to go.

Too tight to do the above? Rip out all phone points bar the one you want to plug the modem into.

Clean new cable, one phone point do make a difference between miserable to acceptable copper internet.

No, not too tight. You told me about that before and I got a 'Cabler' in. Way too much cash for almost SFA gain. We will likely move to another place where the node is closer to House. That might be June 2018 when the next Tenant's Lease expires.

Shits me to tears. I'm happy with what I bloody well have!

(Me on Whirlpool! You might as well direct me to a Chinese political site.)
Aussie
Hero of the Soviet Union

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Oct 2017, 21:15

Yeah, node lotto its called. Most lose.

As background to the 4Corners report this is the timeline of the NBN:

https://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/nbn_timeline

Also from Whirlpool.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby davo » 19 Oct 2017, 21:29

Well that makes sense Aussie you have 18 months to migrate once your area is declared RFS ready for service,
Now make a fucking account at Whirlpool Forums find your area and ask questions. :bgrin
davo
Chihuahua

Postby Aussie » 19 Oct 2017, 21:35

davo wrote:Well that makes sense Aussie you have 18 months to migrate once your area is declared RFS ready for service,
Now make a fucking account at Whirlpool Forums find your area and ask questions. :bgrin

We are already NBN ready here...and I reckon I have nine months of the 18 left. Davo...Whirlpool is for people who know technical stuff. That surely ain't me. Thanks for the help.

Cheers.
Aussie
Hero of the Soviet Union

Postby davo » 19 Oct 2017, 21:41

Aussie wrote:
davo wrote:Well that makes sense Aussie you have 18 months to migrate once your area is declared RFS ready for service,

We are already NBN ready here...and I reckon I have nine months of the 18 left. Davo...Whirlpool is for people who know technical stuff. That surely ain't me. Thanks for the help.

Cheers.

Oh please I am without a doubt the most techno challenged member.Didnt stop me from asking questions nor should it stop you.
davo
Chihuahua

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Oct 2017, 21:53

I would, Aussie. They can tell you how far you are from the node now and after your proposed move.

The gain comes after you are on FTTN Aussie. ADSL is much more resilient if theoretically slower than FTTH (aka VDSL2, Very high bitrate DSL.)
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby davo » 19 Oct 2017, 22:00

Aussie Whirlpool is a very wide and diverse forum.Make your account and ask questions you wont be treated like an idiot.
davo
Chihuahua

Postby davo » 19 Oct 2017, 22:09

When I click on my town there is a google link that shows all the nodes and pillar locations.
davo
Chihuahua

Next

Return to Politics