Visit to family in Riverland

Casual chatting. Guest posting allowed.

Welcome to the various guests visiting here. Why not register? The real PA—a home away from home when OzPol is down.

Hot topic: Handmaid’s Tale

Just post here—don’t need to join.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.

Visit to family in Riverland

Postby HBS Guy » 13 May 2018, 17:57

Left Wed. Had to drop the dog off at boarding kennels—the one sour note of the visit: niece is overprotective of her young son.

Went to Mintaro in the Clare Valley, then onto the caravan park where I had booked a cabin.

Next day, a promenade in Clare then lunch at Skillogalee winery. Bought a few bottles wine at both places.

Friday off to the Riverland. First Berri then Renmark—needed to buy some clothes. Then to niece’s place.

Niece’s hubby likes “rust” all sorts rusty crap, old rusted–shut rabbit traps, old tools, old railway lanterns etc etc. I like to buy gifts instead of giving money for putting me up.

Had a quart oil can, copper (suggestions it could be polished bright quickly negated) and a pint oil can with a flexible spout. Yup, he liked those. My great nephew got a Harley Davidson sign—think he may be a little young yet but another year or two he will love it. For my niece a nice bright Chinese vase, couple bits small porcelain vases—and a frog in semi precious stone and a bigger frog in Tibet (7%) silver.

I had left the biggest to last. To be honest, not sure how my niece’s hubby would respond to a 4 gallon oil drum (rusty of course, rust is de rigeur) and was prepared to say he could exchange it or something. He was blown away! Loved it! Showed me where he had two 4Litre cans on display. Heh, it cost me all of $15. Niece is a frog fanatic but doesn’t want to be given just frogs.

Had dinner Saturday night—Sunday would have the pub booked solid and we had to leave this morning anyway. For a country pub—not bad at all, have certainly eaten worse food in country pubs (beef cooked till it was like shoe leather etc.)

A nice five days. Pity the mutt couldn’t be there, ah well.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Re: Visit to family in Riverland

Postby johnsmith » 13 May 2018, 18:57

HBS Guy wrote:Bought a few bottles wine at both places.

thanks..... two will do me, otherwise with the weight the postage will cost you to much

:c :c
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 13 May 2018, 19:00

I will enjoy every single one. Sorry.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 13 May 2018, 19:22

I gave my greatnephew a Harley Davidson sign. As I suspected, little bit old for him but in a year or two it will be just fine. His dad grabbed it to hang in his man cave but I am thinking it will be grabbed back. With old stuff you gotta buy it when you see it.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 13 May 2018, 19:32

HBS Guy wrote:I will enjoy every single one. Sorry.

enjoy sending it to me? you should do so more often then!

:bgrin
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 13 May 2018, 20:04

I will enjoy drinking every one!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 15 May 2018, 20:05

Heh, on the way from Berri I saw a motorbike and rider, from the back it looked like a Dalek, no kidding!

On the road Burra–Morgan road I saw heaps of carcases of the wildlife, including a biggish wallaby in the right lane just a K or so out of Burra. Apart from that didn’t see much roadkill. A possum in the Riverland, maybe another 1 or 2. Not many on the road Loxton—Tailem Bend and none on the freeway (fenced.)
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 15 May 2018, 21:40

Unfortunately, I forgot to feed the sourdough starters and put them in the fridge. Let me just say they were both wearing a fetching blue wig. The smell wasn’t so much vomit as vomit inducing.

Oh well, start a rye flour starter tomorrow, split it later in the week.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 16 May 2018, 02:42

HBS Guy wrote:Heh, on the way from Berri I saw a motorbike and rider, from the back it looked like a Dalek, no kidding!

On the road Burra–Morgan road I saw heaps of carcases of the wildlife, including a biggish wallaby in the right lane just a K or so out of Burra. Apart from that didn’t see much roadkill. A possum in the Riverland, maybe another 1 or 2. Not many on the road Loxton—Tailem Bend and none on the freeway (fenced.)

Yeah, not much wildlife left now.

I remember when............... you'd drive for not much more than a few miles without that roadkill smell.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 16 May 2018, 10:04

The country between Burra and Morgan is exceptionally poor, I think the wildlife has to travel more. Plenty of water and feed in the irrifated riverland. We get another drought and I bet we will see lots of roadkill again.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Return to Sand Pit