Trump's disastrous summit with Kim Jong Un

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Trump's disastrous summit with Kim Jong Un

Postby Raven » 14 Jul 2018, 00:30

Newly released footage from the North Korean state media propaganda machine shows the absolutely insane moment Donald Trump tries to shake the hand of a North Korean general.

Obtained by BBC, the awkward incident shows Donald Trump extending his hand to the North Korean officer after shaking Kim’s hand. The confused general salutes Trump, who returns the favor, then proceeds to shakes his hand anyway as Kim Jong Un grins maniacally in the background.

The salute Watch Kim's reaction.

Not only was this a stunning breach of protocol, as described by retired Rear Admiral John Kirby on CNN, it has massive propaganda value for the North Korean government.

“They can see a propaganda value here and this is basically them showing the level of deference and respect that Trump has paid to them and to their military leaders,” Kirby said to CNN’s Poppy Harlow. “It was an inappropriate for him to do from a protocol perspective, but now he’s played right into the North’s propaganda about their legitimacy on the world stage.”

Besides that, Trump’s salute was a remarkable display of outstanding respect to the leaders of a hostile government and — despite the Kim/Trump BFF photos — one that is still very much a U.S. adversary. Though U.S. presidents typically salute their own nation’s service members, saluting member of other nation’s militaries — especially non-allies — is f***ing INSANE.

Following the summit Trump told a bizarre lie claiming “thousands” of parents of Korean War veterans begged him to bring back the remains of their children who died in the conflict. The only problem was… there aren’t “thousands” of such parents. The Korean War started almost 70 years ago, which would make any parents of fallen soldiers pretty damn ancient.

He then compounded that lie by saying North Korea had already returned the remains. It turns out that’s not true either.

"We got back our great fallen heroes, the remains. In fact—today, already—200 have been sent back. It was a great meeting,” Trump crowed. “Chairman Kim will turn that country into a great, successful country,” he continued, giving the brutal dictator of North Korea a tongue bath usually reserved for America's closest allies and not rogue states who have promised their destruction.

It turns out not only did that not happen, but the North Koreans seem to have no plans to follow through on returning our fallen soldiers. They just skipped out on a meeting to make arrangements for the transfer, as U.S.-North Korea relations turn frosty once more.

Trump’s not only lied about this, but gone into great detail about how the discussion went down. “It was the last thing I asked,” he told a group of Republicans in Nevada recently. “I said, ‘Do you mind, would I be able to get the remains back of all those great heroes from so many years ago?’ And he said, ‘I will do that.’ And you probably read, they have already done 200 people. Which is so great.”

So great it never happened.
Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"
Raven
puppy

spamone: Animal

Re: Trump's disastrous summit with Kim Jong Un

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Jul 2018, 01:11

Indeed not happened:

ThinkProgress @thinkprogress 3h3 hours ago More

North Korea hasn’t returned U.S. soldiers’ remains despite Trump’s claims http://bit.ly/2NMlEG4
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 14 Jul 2018, 08:29

North Korea won't do a single thing Trump claimed they will do. North Korea got decades worth of propaganda from the bumbling baboon and now they'll milk it for all it's worth.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Raven » 14 Jul 2018, 18:40

Lest we forget, when former President Obama saluted several Marines while holding a coffee cup as he stepped off Marine One, Fox News swooped down on him like a pack of heat-seeking missiles. Some perspective: Obama’s offense involved a chai tea latte, not groveling before the demonic child-killing dictator of a hostile government.

Lest We Forget Part 2, Obama caught heat when he bowed to Saudi Arabia’s King Abdullah early on in his presidency, for which Trump called him an amateur.

Last year Trump bowed and curtsied to King Abdullah.

The hypocrisy of Trump’s salute was baffling. Sure, there was that time Obama bowed to the Saudi Arabian King and got called a (Muslim?) traitor on Fox News, but in what world is kneeling on a football field LESS patriotic than saluting the general of a murderous dictator? In what world is Canada an enemy, and North Korea worthy of indomitable respect?
Raven
puppy

Postby johnsmith » 14 Jul 2018, 20:03

i must be confusing you with someone else raven because for some reason I thought you were a fan of thrumpy
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Raven » 14 Jul 2018, 20:38

You must be. Raven is no fan of Trump. He is very concerned about the direction America is taking under Trump.
Raven
puppy

Postby johnsmith » 14 Jul 2018, 20:40

Raven wrote:You must be. Raven is no fan of Trump. He is very concerned about the direction America is taking under Trump.

good. That puts you up a few notches higher in my books :bgrin
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Return to Politics