People Doing Good Things

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

People Doing Good Things

Postby SethBullock » 25 Nov 2018, 15:47

Do you ever get tired of nothing but bad news?

Sometimes people do good things. This is your place to tell about them. Or you can post a video or picture with a story.

It could be about a random act of kindness. It could be something someone did for someone else that they really needed. It could be a rescue of a person or an animal. It could be about a worthwhile charity.

Anything that has to do with human beings doing something good for other people or creatures in this world that we inhabit.

The idea for this thread was inspired by a couple of videos I ran across in the past few weeks.

This is one of them. There are several versions of it on YouTube, but I thought this one explained it best in spite of the computer voice that was used to narrate. Wait for it ... the actual video is toward the end.

"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty

"There's only one solution: MORE guns!" - greggerypeccary

... "mr know it all" - Bongalong
SethBullock
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Re: People Doing Good Things

Postby johnsmith » 25 Nov 2018, 16:35

One that comes to mind was from when I first started my painting company.

I had lined up some government housing work. The very first public housing tenant whose house I went to paint was an 80 year old woman. Unbeknown to us at the time, we had turned up on her birthday.

She has an adult disabled son who suffered from Downs Syndrome. Plus she had a 6 month old baby in her arms. At first I thought it was a grandchild but we later found out she was a foster carer. She got a phone call a few nights ago from family services because they need to house a baby whose parents had problems with drug abuse.

We later found out she had taken in over 120 kids during her career as a foster carer. Some short term, some longer term. She told us that she received well over 100 Christmas cards every year from them. But she swore that this child would be her last as she was getting to old to deal with them. Ohh, and she made fresh baked scones or cakes for us every morning that we were there painting, ready for our coffee break. We were there for about a week as the house was a full repaint inside and out.

About a month later we turned up at her neighbours to paint his house, and when I looked over the fence, there she was with yet another baby. So much for retiring. According to her, she just couldn't say no.

The lady deserves a medal in my opinion. :hlo
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Lols » 25 Nov 2018, 17:44

Nice topic. I can think of some smallish things at present, like when someone offers their money that you may be short in a supermarket queue. It's that kind of kindness, that I look to do for others, a bit like that movie, "Pay it forward".
When I was younger, I never forgot the few, kind things that some older people had said to me, or even paid attention to me, or made me feel I was being noticed (sadly, back in the 1950's it was a case of kids being seen and not heard).
It just surprised me, how kindness can make you fee so good.
I bought a T shirt for my daughter to wear on dress up days for state school (because of a lot of bullying that goes on), and the message on the t shirt was "It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be kind"
I was one of those mums that loved to be involved with school functions, sports days, excursions, fund raising committee, tuck shop, readers etc.
More to feel like a guardian, and when some kids were short of money for food at tuckshop, I let them have it anyway. :hush
Kindness that I notice from day to day at times, for instance, if I only have a couple of things to go through Aldi, and the lady in front has a huge trolley, she will offer me to go before her.
That's kindness in a considerate way.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby SethBullock » 26 Nov 2018, 02:51

That's a great story, JohnSmith. And Lols, you're right. Small every day kindnesses mean a lot.

This is the other story I spotted that inspired me to start this thread.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby SethBullock » 26 Nov 2018, 10:28

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby SethBullock » 27 Dec 2018, 06:42

I spotted this on Liveleak and couldn't find it on YouTube, so here is the link.

In the worst of an Australian drought, a little kindness from one living creature to another.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=sgCnF_1545812697

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 27 Dec 2018, 13:10

SethBullock wrote:I spotted this on Liveleak and couldn't find it on YouTube, so here is the link.

In the worst of an Australian drought, a little kindness from one living creature to another.

i like those sorts of stories. Good on him. Keep in mind, water is just as scarce for him as it is for the lizards. He has livestock to water as well.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Lols » 30 Dec 2018, 10:56

SethBullock wrote:I spotted this on Liveleak and couldn't find it on YouTube, so here is the link.

Just gorgeous, they are living entities also, all sorts of creatures and animals, needing shelter, food and water.

I love those stories of animal rescues, and especially the ones where dogs are rescued, treated for any health problems, then adopted out to loving families, it's beautiful.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby Lols » 30 Dec 2018, 20:47

I have a latest story of doing something someone wished for, and I granted it.

In the next room where my mother was at Pallative care, was a 51 year old female, dying, from cancer, went from breast to her brain.
I walked past her room, turned and looked to smile at her, and I waved, she smiled at me, an I asked if I could come sit and talk? She loved that.

After a while, talking about cancer, chemo and how shit it was etc.

She was upset with the kitchen staff, she said, she couldn't believe they didn't have fruit salad, that was what she desired.

I said, I will go out and buy you some, she didn't want me to.
I recall when my M-I-L was dying with cancer at age 57, she wanted watermelon.
I have heard others wanted cherries etc. basically, it seems fruit is desired.

Anyway, about an hour later, I got a call from hubby, he was knocking off from work earlier (and it was a work break up, but he didn't stay to have beers with the fellas) as he works for a food van company, and gets the leftover food to bring home, I asked if he had some fruit salad, and he said he did, 2 of them!

I said good, bring them here.

And then, I went and presented the fruit salad to that woman in the next room. She was so happy.

Bless her, I hope she fares well in the after life and finds her way to a beautiful fruit orchard.
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby Sprintcyclist » 31 Dec 2018, 13:16

Lols wrote:I have a latest story of doing something someone wished for, and I granted it.

In the next room where my mother was at Pallative care, was a 51 year old female, dying, from cancer, went from breast to her brain.
I walked past her room, turned and looked to smile at her, and I waved, she smiled at me, an I asked if I could come sit and talk? She loved that.

After a while, talking about cancer, chemo and how shit it was etc.

She was upset with the kitchen staff, she said, she couldn't believe they didn't have fruit salad, that was what she desired.

I said, I will go out and buy you some, she didn't want me to.
I recall when my M-I-L was dying with cancer at age 57, she wanted watermelon.
I have heard others wanted cherries etc. basically, it seems fruit is desired.

Anyway, about an hour later, I got a call from hubby, he was knocking off from work earlier (and it was a work break up, but he didn't stay to have beers with the fellas) as he works for a food van company, and gets the leftover food to bring home, I asked if he had some fruit salad, and he said he did, 2 of them!

I said good, bring them here.

And then, I went and presented the fruit salad to that woman in the next room. She was so happy.

Bless her, I hope she fares well in the after life and finds her way to a beautiful fruit orchard.

......... she wanted watermelon.
I have heard others wanted cherries etc. basically, it seems fruit is desired. .......

I would believe that
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby SethBullock » 03 Jan 2019, 01:05

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Jan 2019, 11:53

150 shots!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 03 Jan 2019, 16:00

HBS Guy wrote:150 shots!

no wonder the yanks can't finish of the taliban :roll :roll :roll
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Aussie » 03 Jan 2019, 16:16

johnsmith wrote:

Have you forgotten that no-one has?

But....150 shots using a .22 pea shooter with a scope at pretty short range is bizarre. If I was that bloke in the USA, I'd have used a bigger calibre rifle. One decent shot and down it comes. What happened to the availability of those crane things which could have easily reach that height?

:huh
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby johnsmith » 03 Jan 2019, 16:20

Aussie wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

Have you forgotten that no-one has?

But....150 shots using a .22 pea shooter with a scope at pretty short range is bizarre. If I was that bloke in the USA, I'd have used a bigger calibre rifle. One decent shot and down it comes. What happened to the availability of those crane things which could have easily reach that height?

:huh

those 'crane things' might be a long way away. We have no idea how remote this area was.

I do agree the choice of gun is strange, but someone's got to have a go at at our yank members every now and then. :bgrin
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby SethBullock » 04 Jan 2019, 01:24

Don't know why a power company truck with one of those buckets a man stands in couldn't have been used, but apparently that wasn't an option.

Also, don't know how close they were to a town or dwellings. But he had to fire UP, and a .22 has a fairly short maximum range, usually less than a mile. More high powered rifle ammo can go 2 or 3 times that distance. Not a good idea if there is a town or dwellings within that distance.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby SethBullock » 11 Jan 2019, 14:17

Deranged Florida Deputy Kidnapped Helpless Woman From Home

Body Cam Implicates Second Deputy In Plot

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 11 Jan 2019, 14:50

SethBullock wrote:Deranged Florida Deputy Kidnapped Helpless Woman From Home

Body Cam Implicates Second Deputy In Plot

that'll get Dax going :rofl
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby johnsmith » 11 Jan 2019, 16:57

I tip my hat to the bus driver.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-11/bus-driver-rescues-toddler-wandering-on-overpass/10708798

I wonder how many just kept driving.
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby SethBullock » 11 Jan 2019, 17:01

johnsmith wrote:I tip my hat to the bus driver.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-11/bus-driver-rescues-toddler-wandering-on-overpass/10708798

I wonder how many just kept driving.

Aaw man! Nice story! :thumb

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby DonDeeHippy » 11 Jan 2019, 17:04

dam i'll stop and run back for a baby bird or a Turtle (after big rains the seam to want to cross road....verrrry slowly)…

no taking away from the driver though.... good news :) :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 11 Jan 2019, 19:34

DonDeeHippy wrote:dam i'll stop and run back for a baby bird or a Turtle (after big rains the seam to want to cross road....verrrry slowly)…

If I'm totally honest, I'm not so sure I would have stopped. I would have assumed her mum was somewhere nearby, even if I couldn't see her in the few seconds it took me to drive along, and kept driving.
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Texan » 12 Jan 2019, 06:22

johnsmith wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:dam i'll stop and run back for a baby bird or a Turtle (after big rains the seam to want to cross road....verrrry slowly)…

If I'm totally honest, I'm not so sure I would have stopped. I would have assumed her mum was somewhere nearby, even if I couldn't see her in the few seconds it took me to drive along, and kept driving.

The toddler was walking down the sidewalk of a city street in near freezing temperatures with no shoes. There wasn’t an adult for 50 meters. A car could have ran him over also. Someone caught it all on video.
Texan
Cheetah

Postby Dax » 12 Jan 2019, 07:10

I certainly would have stopped, made sure I contacted the authorities at the same time, being a bloke you never know what some brain dead female would accuse you of when just helping a little kid.

Can understand those who wouldn't stop, no accounting for the mind of self centred morons.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby SethBullock » 25 Jan 2019, 11:58

Gen-Colin-Powell (2).jpg

Gen-Colin-Powell (4).jpg

Gen. Colin Powell (Ret) wrote ...

Yesterday was a reassuring day for me. I was on my way to Walter Reed Military Hospital for an exam. As I drove along Interstate 495 my left front tire blew out. I am a car guy and knew I could change it but it was cold outside and the lug bolts were very tight. I jacked the car up and got several of the bolts removed when a car suddenly pulled up in front of me. As the man got out of his car I could see that he had an artificial leg. He said he recognized me and wanted to help me. We chatted and I learned that he lost his leg in Afghanistan when he worked over there as a civilian employee. He grabbed the lug wrench and finished the job as I put the tools away. Then we both hurriedly headed off to appointments at Walter Reed. I hadn't gotten his name or address but he did ask for a “selfie”. And then he sent me the message below last night.

"Gen. Powell, I hope I never forget today because I’ll never forget reading your books. You were always an inspiration, a leader and statesman. After 33 years in the military you were the giant whose shoulders we stood upon to carry the torch to light the way and now it is tomorrow’s generation that must do the same. Anthony Maggert"

Thanks, Anthony. You touched my soul and reminded me about what this country is all about and why it is so great. Let's stop screaming at each other. Let's just take care of each other. You made my day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Next

Return to Off Topic