What are you doing right now?

Casual chatting. Guest posting allowed.

Welcome to the various guests visiting here. Why not register? The real PA—a home away from home when OzPol is down.

Hot topic: Handmaid’s Tale

Just post here—don’t need to join.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.

Re: What are you doing right now?

Postby Texan » 13 Jan 2019, 11:02

The gun show was pretty much a bust. I was looking for a Kahr CW-9 carbon fiber for a new EDC(Every Day Carry) and almost bought a $728 home defense shotgun.(Keltec KSG) My neighbor wants to buy my Mossberg 500 shotgun, so I may sell that first. I did buy an ulu for use in the kitchen and had fun being with the neighbors all day. Going to watch a movie at their house. C ya.
Texan
Cheetah

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Jan 2019, 11:52

Going over plans for the trip to Tasmania in April.

Think I need to order another litre or maybe 5L bottle of fish hydrosylate, maybe more neem oil. Will do some estimating and calculating.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 13 Jan 2019, 12:10

johnsmith wrote:
Texan wrote:Johnsmith - Advanced directives are specific instructions and consents for medical care. In this case, to opt out of emergency life saving procedures like surgery, cpr, etc.... My FIL is 89 and doesn’t want the pain and suffering.

thanks Tex

see Aussie, it's not difficult :roll

Lazy Fokker!
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby Lols » 13 Jan 2019, 12:47

Just booked a hotel near where the ship is in Circular Quays in Sydney for our cruise in March.
I picked a hotel within walking distance to the ship, and to the Opera House.

Gosh, almost $500 for the night :? further away was half price, but this one included breakfast, and walking distance to everything.
I also liked a check in time at 1pm later checkout at 11 am where some were 2-4 pm check in and 10 am checkout, with no brekky.

Reason we are going in a day earlier than the cruise.....because I don't trust the airplanes being on time or getting cancelled, it happened before (luckily after our last cruise and not before), so not taking chances.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby johnsmith » 13 Jan 2019, 18:12

Lols wrote:Just booked a hotel near where the ship is in Circular Quays in Sydney for our cruise in March.
I picked a hotel within walking distance to the ship, and to the Opera House.

Gosh, almost $500 for the night :? further away was half price, but this one included breakfast, and walking distance to everything.
I also liked a check in time at 1pm later checkout at 11 am where some were 2-4 pm check in and 10 am checkout, with no brekky.

Reason we are going in a day earlier than the cruise.....because I don't trust the airplanes being on time or getting cancelled, it happened before (luckily after our last cruise and not before), so not taking chances.

Nice spot. I was there in Oct. for a tour of the opera house.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Texan » 15 Jan 2019, 10:36

I just had some tires put on my work van on my way home from work in Fort Worth. Fun day. :roll
Texan
Cheetah

Postby SethBullock » 15 Jan 2019, 10:48

I had my massage today, and I'm going out to dinner with friends at pub/restaurant in a little while.
"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty

"There's only one solution: MORE guns!" - greggerypeccary

... "mr know it all" - Bongalong
SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby Sprintcyclist » 15 Jan 2019, 12:03

Doing some conceptual planing for a new garden.
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby Texan » 15 Jan 2019, 12:50

Sprintcyclist wrote:Doing some conceptual planing for a new garden.

By garden, do you mean vegetable garden or what we in America call your "yard" or landscaping.
Texan
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 15 Jan 2019, 12:56

For my eventual flower/shrub/vege garden I bought and today received Charles Dowding “Organic Gardening the natural no dig way.”

With my unlovely clay soil no-dig sounds like a good way to go!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Sprintcyclist » 15 Jan 2019, 14:37

HBS Guy wrote:For my eventual flower/shrub/vege garden I bought and today received Charles Dowding “Organic Gardening the natural no dig way.”

With my unlovely clay soil no-dig sounds like a good way to go!

they work pretty well. Good option to take.
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby Sprintcyclist » 15 Jan 2019, 14:38

Texan wrote:
Sprintcyclist wrote:Doing some conceptual planing for a new garden.

By garden, do you mean vegetable garden or what we in America call your "yard" or landscaping.

vege garden, but, I feel they are uneconomic.
the fruit and veges I can buy from supermarkets grown by professionals beat mine easily.
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 15 Jan 2019, 17:56

Yuk, you buy veges from supermarkets? {shudder}
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby greggerypeccary » 15 Jan 2019, 19:55

HBS Guy wrote:Yuk, you buy veges from supermarkets? {shudder}

The best veges I've ever seen, in the world, are at the Saturday Salamanca Markets in Hobart.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 15 Jan 2019, 20:30

Have to get there sometime.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby greggerypeccary » 16 Jan 2019, 09:59

HBS Guy wrote:Have to get there sometime.

You won't regret it.

Great fruit & veges, and lots of good hot takeaway food too.

There's also fudge, cupcakes, truffles, clothing, etc.

So many stalls.

ImageImage
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby Dax » 16 Jan 2019, 10:31

In my experience Salamanca is probably the best farmers market in Aus, go there sometimes to buy organic Tas olive oil soap. They used to be an organic veggie pie lanker and they were excellent, but it was sold to some morns from Aus and they changed the recipes and added butter and other crap. there used to be big lines of customers at their stall and they always ran out of food, now they struggle to sell many. Tasmanians get sick of morons from Aus coming over here and trying to change things to their stupid way of doing things, in the end they mostly go back, or start living like we do.

What am I doing now, getting into walking as much as I can, got rid of the moon boot after 3 days and have worked on my ankle and foot myself. Drove for the first time in 5 weeks last week and now have no strapping or swelling, just have to get everything working and back to normal. Will start running again next week and then hit the road and do some gigs with the band, who have been very patient with me.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby greggerypeccary » 16 Jan 2019, 10:49

Dax wrote:In my experience Salamanca is probably the best farmers market in Aus, go there sometimes to buy organic Tas olive oil soap. They used to be an organic veggie pie lanker and they were excellent, but it was sold to some morns from Aus and they changed the recipes and added butter and other crap. there used to be big lines of customers at their stall and they always ran out of food, now they struggle to sell many. Tasmanians get sick of morons from Aus coming over here and trying to change things to their stupid way of doing things, in the end they mostly go back, or start living like we do.

What am I doing now, getting into walking as much as I can, got rid of the moon boot after 3 days and have worked on my ankle and foot myself. Drove for the first time in 5 weeks last week and now have no strapping or swelling, just have to get everything working and back to normal. Will start running again next week and then hit the road and do some gigs with the band, who have been very patient with me.

The Salamanca Markets are second to none.

I go as often as I can.

So, you live in Hobart and you're a muso?

Ever catch up with Brian Ritchie?
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby Texan » 16 Jan 2019, 11:11

I'm out of chicken feed. I'd better get to the feed store before they close or my birds will go on strike.
Texan
Cheetah

Postby Dax » 16 Jan 2019, 11:23

greggerypeccary wrote:
Dax wrote:In my experience Salamanca is probably the best farmers market in Aus, go there sometimes to buy organic Tas olive oil soap. They used to be an organic veggie pie lanker and they were excellent, but it was sold to some morns from Aus and they changed the recipes and added butter and other crap. there used to be big lines of customers at their stall and they always ran out of food, now they struggle to sell many. Tasmanians get sick of morons from Aus coming over here and trying to change things to their stupid way of doing things, in the end they mostly go back, or start living like we do.

The Salamanca Markets are second to none.

I go as often as I can.

So, you live in Hobart and you're a muso?

Ever catch up with Brian Ritchie?

Don't live in Hobart, live way out of Hobart, am a muso. Only know a couple of real musos in Tas, seen Ritchie play in Hobart, pretty good. We play almost all our gigs in rural Aus, they are the best places to play and where you get an excellent reception. Urban venues are boring and you're mostly back ground music, the audience is mostly surly and non appreciative.

Our male bass player/singer is based in Melbourne, lady guitarist/singer in Sth NSW, lady keyboard player/singer ACT, lady drummer/singer, is my neighbour and I play lead guitar and sing. Rural audiences get into the music and just about every where we play the whole place is rocking with the first 3-4 songs and continues through the performance. We do lots of requests. which make everyone happy and if we don't know the song, we learn it for the net time we play there. We have a repertoire of over 500 songs to choose and are constantly adding to our repertoire, so cover just about everyones request. We are adding a few Paul kelly songs at the moment and some Gary Moore classics as we are getting more and more requests for rocking blues and we love laying that style of music.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby greggerypeccary » 16 Jan 2019, 11:31

Can't go wrong with a Gary Moore song :bgrin

I've seen Brian play a couple of times in Hobart too - really good stuff.

I first saw him play decades ago when the Violent Femmes were just young buskers, and they were here in Perth in the Hay Street Mall.

It must have been about 40 years ago, I guess.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby Dax » 16 Jan 2019, 12:00

greggerypeccary wrote:Can't go wrong with a Gary Moore song :bgrin

I've seen Brian play a couple of times in Hobart too - really good stuff.

I first saw him play decades ago when the Violent Femmes were just young buskers, and they were here in Perth in the Hay Street Mall.

It must have been about 40 years ago, I guess.

Met Gary Moore a few decades ago in Germany at an after gig party, really out of it and pissed. He invited us to one of his gigs and we had front row seats, it was amazing to watch him play and the amount of feeling he could get out of his guitar, when it was over he beckoned for us to go back stage and then to a private party. Said he loved our accents and language, told me how he gets the sound he does and have used it myself since. But could never get the wonderful sound he could get out it it and he played most of the time with his eyes shut. His les paul sold for well over 1 mullion dollars. Have an applause les paul and it has almost the same amount of resonance as his, the sustain just goes on and on. But the fretboard is no where near as good as a true les paul, does me though and use it when doing "still got the blues for you. Which always gets a wonderful reception at gigs when we do it.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Jan 2019, 15:40

What I am doing right now is vegging out after some frustrating searching for “Surround horticultural paste.” How the fuck was I meant to know it was kaolin? Why call it surround the bastards horticultural paste if it was just a fucking clay? Eh?

Found a vendor. Now I have to go through the arse-tearing boredom of buying some by phoning because I already contacted one of the useless cocksuckers who referred me on to someone who hasn’t bothered to contact me WEEKS later!

And it is hot down here!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Dax » 16 Jan 2019, 18:43

It's 22 inside and 19 outside, got a couple of showers over night so the outside gardens are looking good and tomorrow will have a lot of berries to pick, turn them into liquid and freeze. Then have lots of frozen fresh fruit and can make up scrumptious ice cold fruit smoothies by adding fresh or frozen bananas.

Try making your own clay to suit your purpose, get some bentonite and mix that will what every soil or other clay you want and you will get a great result. Built one of my dams that way, the base was a combination of sand and rock, so made up mixtures of bentonite and some dark clay soil from another dam was building. Mixed them together and spread them through out the excavation. First rain, water disappeared, second rain dam half filed and stayed that way, now it is full as it gets the run off from the orchid and drive way paddocks.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby Lols » 17 Jan 2019, 00:44

Was darn hot today, went to mum's place to find paperwork and bills to pay to give to the solicitor that's doing the will stuff and hubby found out what she had an ombudsman for, investigating a certain big bank.....something like nearly $200,000 out of a larger amount invested, went missing.
I clearly recall, the person she had entrusted, was there in her house, dealing with her money (a lot of it from sales of a certain property that is now a Marina)......and invested long term, at the 16% amount (back before the recession we had to have). I wonder if there was some bad investment that happened that went belly up? I also recall a lot of companies doing that, and people losing huge money, in the hundreds thousands.
So recently, when I saw a lesser amount she had in the bank, I need to ask why? And I will investigate this myself. She would have thought the money was safe and invested long term?

I need all the bank statements which my brother and his wife took all of them, and I suspect don't want us to see something in them, and I put the onus on them, "Gee, this ombudsman thing with the missing money, and I can't find any of mum's bank statements from the business, not one"....that must have put the wind up 'em.

But can money just go missing like that from bad investments and they never explained to my widowed mum or she didn't understand it? I will look into all this, and see what I can suss out...ole fashioned lil miss secretary moiye!

I will say this much, about the same time all this happened, I had been overcharged $3,000 on interest on our home loan. I phoned the arrogant bank manager, and told him, he said, the bank wouldn't make a mistake like that.
Then hastily, much later, he phoned me, and said we were charged wrongly, and would fix it....no apologies, no telling me I was right....and he quickly hangs up.

I have that bank statement, and should frame it.
Yeah, f-wits never make a mistake eh? Like hell they don't.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

PreviousNext

Return to Sand Pit