American Words

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: American Words

Postby SethBullock » 17 Jan 2019, 14:06

Texan wrote:Texas is crawling with Utes.


So is Oregon. They're everywhere, all over.

Of course, we also have a lot of those Prius's too ... :roll

They have a special affinity for driving under the speed limit in the fast lane. :grn
"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty

"There's only one solution: MORE guns!" - greggerypeccary

... "mr know it all" - Bongalong
User avatar
SethBullock
Jaguar
 
Posts: 2224
Joined: 22 Oct 2018, 12:37
Location: Oregon, USA
spamone: Animal

Re: American Words

Postby greggerypeccary » 17 Jan 2019, 14:23

Texan wrote:Texas is crawling with Utes.


So is Perth (WA).

We have what are called FIFO workers here: Fly In Fly Out.

They fly into the mine sites up north, to work, and then fly out again after they've done a few weeks.

They earn plenty of money when they're up north, and when they fly back home for their break they like to buy these:

Image

Plenty of lime green utes driving around the Perth CBD.
User avatar
greggerypeccary
Warthog
 
Posts: 4284
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 14:52
spamone: Animal

Re: American Words

Postby Aussie » 17 Jan 2019, 15:51

Texan wrote:Texas is crawling with Utes.


You made me Google. I suspected you were making a subtle reference to the Ute Indian Tribe, but I see they are from neighbouring Colorado.

You shall now call your pick-up truck a ute.

:beer
User avatar
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs
 
Posts: 8839
Joined: 13 Mar 2010, 17:25

Re: American Words

Postby Texan » 17 Jan 2019, 22:58

Aussie wrote:
Texan wrote:Texas is crawling with Utes.


You made me Google. I suspected you were making a subtle reference to the Ute Indian Tribe, but I see they are from neighbouring Colorado.

You shall now call your pick-up truck a ute.

:beer

I don’t know. Your utes look like they are built on a mono frame car chassis. Our pickups are built with body on frame with heavier duty framed.

This is identical to what I own. It has a 5.0 liter V8 and can haul 900kg and tow 4500 kg. There are bigger and smaller, but mine is typical.
https://www.kbb.com/car-news/all-the-la ... 000009643/
Texan
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1185
Joined: 21 Oct 2018, 13:38
spamone: Animal

Re: American Words

Postby pinkeye » 17 Jan 2019, 23:54

Aussie wrote:
Texan wrote:Texas is crawling with Utes.


You made me Google. I suspected you were making a subtle reference to the Ute Indian Tribe, but I see they are from neighbouring Colorado.

You shall now call your pick-up truck a ute.

:beer


I also. Perhaps it shows our prejudice Aussie..?
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 4104
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: American Words

Postby pinkeye » 17 Jan 2019, 23:58

Not sure if I have commented on this before.. on this topic.

I find the use of the short phrase 'from the getgo'.. just SOOOO annoying.

Everyone seems to use it now, and I think it sounds like kiddytalk…..altho I gather it has something to do with the US Military. ??

the 'getgo'... ooooh how tough is that..? NOT at all. An unconscious sneer comes over my face whenever I hear that term here.
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 4104
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: American Words

Postby Lols » 18 Jan 2019, 00:43

SethBullock wrote:I own a 1990 Ford like this one. What do you call it? I call it a pick-up truck.

1990_ford_f-250_2_dr_xlt_lariat_extended_cab_lb-pic-5306021083466046122-1600x1200.jpeg


It's similar to the 1989 GMC we have, with the extended cab. Hubby calls it "the truck".

I call it a pain in the blurter, because he still hasn't put side steps on the vehicle for me to be able to get in and out of it without almost doing a hammy!!

We used to have a HQ Holden Kingswood Ute and it was called "the beaut ute".
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
User avatar
Lols
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 459
Joined: 10 Jun 2014, 23:58
spamone: Animal

Re: American Words

Postby SethBullock » 18 Jan 2019, 01:12

Lols wrote:
SethBullock wrote:I own a 1990 Ford like this one. What do you call it? I call it a pick-up truck.

1990_ford_f-250_2_dr_xlt_lariat_extended_cab_lb-pic-5306021083466046122-1600x1200.jpeg


It's similar to the 1989 GMC we have, with the extended cab. Hubby calls it "the truck".

I call it a pain in the blurter, because he still hasn't put side steps on the vehicle for me to be able to get in and out of it without almost doing a hammy!!

We used to have a HQ Holden Kingswood Ute and it was called "the beaut ute".


"Blurter" = rear end, I assume.

"Doing a hammy" = falling?
"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty

"There's only one solution: MORE guns!" - greggerypeccary

... "mr know it all" - Bongalong
User avatar
SethBullock
Jaguar
 
Posts: 2224
Joined: 22 Oct 2018, 12:37
Location: Oregon, USA
spamone: Animal

Re: American Words

Postby Texan » 18 Jan 2019, 01:17

pinkeye wrote:
Aussie wrote:
Texan wrote:Texas is crawling with Utes.


You made me Google. I suspected you were making a subtle reference to the Ute Indian Tribe, but I see they are from neighbouring Colorado.

You shall now call your pick-up truck a ute.

:beer


I also. Perhaps it shows our prejudice Aussie..?

To say you were prejudiced over that would be a stretch. When Texas was an independent republic, our borders did include parts of Colorado. I am a tiny part Choctaw Indian.
Texan
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1185
Joined: 21 Oct 2018, 13:38
spamone: Animal

Re: American Words

Postby SethBullock » 18 Jan 2019, 01:50

What does it mean when you say to "take a drovers dog"?

Maybe "anything else other than the choices we have"?
"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty

"There's only one solution: MORE guns!" - greggerypeccary

... "mr know it all" - Bongalong
User avatar
SethBullock
Jaguar
 
Posts: 2224
Joined: 22 Oct 2018, 12:37
Location: Oregon, USA
spamone: Animal

Re: American Words

Postby Texan » 18 Jan 2019, 02:47

SethBullock wrote:
Lols wrote:
SethBullock wrote:I own a 1990 Ford like this one. What do you call it? I call it a pick-up truck.

1990_ford_f-250_2_dr_xlt_lariat_extended_cab_lb-pic-5306021083466046122-1600x1200.jpeg


It's similar to the 1989 GMC we have, with the extended cab. Hubby calls it "the truck".

I call it a pain in the blurter, because he still hasn't put side steps on the vehicle for me to be able to get in and out of it without almost doing a hammy!!

We used to have a HQ Holden Kingswood Ute and it was called "the beaut ute".


"Blurter" = rear end, I assume.

"Doing a hammy" = falling?

Hamstring?
Texan
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1185
Joined: 21 Oct 2018, 13:38
spamone: Animal

Re: American Words

Postby Aussie » 18 Jan 2019, 09:08

SethBullock wrote:What does it mean when you say to "take a drovers dog"?

Maybe "anything else other than the choices we have"?


Pretty much. Is also used when some team is a certain winner. "A drover's dog could Captain that side and it would still win."

Hammy = hamstring.
User avatar
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs
 
Posts: 8839
Joined: 13 Mar 2010, 17:25

Re: American Words

Postby greggerypeccary » 18 Jan 2019, 09:15

pinkeye wrote:Not sure if I have commented on this before.. on this topic.

I find the use of the short phrase 'from the getgo'.. just SOOOO annoying.

Everyone seems to use it now, and I think it sounds like kiddytalk…..altho I gather it has something to do with the US Military. ??

the 'getgo'... ooooh how tough is that..? NOT at all. An unconscious sneer comes over my face whenever I hear that term here.


The one I find annoying is "real quick".

Americans use it all the time.

They put it on the end of sentences where it's completely unnecessary.

Kind of like when teenage girls put "like" on the end of every sentence.
User avatar
greggerypeccary
Warthog
 
Posts: 4284
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 14:52
spamone: Animal

Re: American Words

Postby Lols » 18 Jan 2019, 20:07

Texan wrote:
SethBullock wrote:
Lols wrote:
SethBullock wrote:I own a 1990 Ford like this one. What do you call it? I call it a pick-up truck.

1990_ford_f-250_2_dr_xlt_lariat_extended_cab_lb-pic-5306021083466046122-1600x1200.jpeg


It's similar to the 1989 GMC we have, with the extended cab. Hubby calls it "the truck".

I call it a pain in the blurter, because he still hasn't put side steps on the vehicle for me to be able to get in and out of it without almost doing a hammy!!

We used to have a HQ Holden Kingswood Ute and it was called "the beaut ute".


"Blurter" = rear end, I assume.

"Doing a hammy" = falling?

Hamstring?

Yep, you got that in one :thumb
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
User avatar
Lols
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 459
Joined: 10 Jun 2014, 23:58
spamone: Animal

Re: American Words

Postby pinkeye » 19 Jan 2019, 01:59

Texan wrote:
pinkeye wrote:
Aussie wrote:
Texan wrote:Texas is crawling with Utes.


You made me Google. I suspected you were making a subtle reference to the Ute Indian Tribe, but I see they are from neighbouring Colorado.

You shall now call your pick-up truck a ute.

:beer


I also. Perhaps it shows our prejudice Aussie..?

To say you were prejudiced over that would be a stretch. When Texas was an independent republic, our borders did include parts of Colorado. I am a tiny part Choctaw Indian.


I never knew Texas was an independent republic.
Was that under Mexican rule.? No how could that be.?


So.. was this after the Alamo.?
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 4104
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: American Words

Postby Texan » 19 Jan 2019, 05:03

The Alamo battles were in the war for independence of Texas from Mexico. Texas was an independent republic from 1836 to 1845, when we joined the US as a state. Mexico had only won their independence from Spain about 20 years before Texas left. Texas was given the option to divide into as many as 5 states, but decided to stay together as a single state.

Many of the people who died defending the Alamo were of Mexican decent and had Spanish surnames. Most moved to Texas from the states.

Mexico invited foreigners to come in and work the land and pay taxes. Americans were industrious and good for their economy, until the newcomers didn't like being treated like second class citizens and took their land and left. Mexico hated Texas for decades over that one. Texas independence is one of the reasons Texans are so proud of their state. The Texas capitol building is the only state capitol building taller than the US capitol building. The Texas flag is the only state flag that can be flown at the same height as the US flag. Texas may have had a better claim to be able to secede, but that deal was most likely screwed up by Texas joining the Confederacy in the Civil War.

So now you have a better understanding of why my thinking is so Texcentric.
Texan
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1185
Joined: 21 Oct 2018, 13:38
spamone: Animal

Re: American Words

Postby pinkeye » 19 Jan 2019, 21:27

Thank you Texan.
I read a lot about the west and south in my youth, but I never understood that Texas was an independent territory.
I knew about the Alamo, but always assumed it was an action taken to bolster American defences against the Mexicans.
I never understood Texas stood alone.


I did study American History during my high school years.
It was more addressing things like the founding of the nation, and the Emancipation etc... Long time ago now.

Also read plenty of Western literature :bgrin Matt Chisholm, JT Edson, and earlier , Zane Grey.

Which is why I feel so dismayed by the really bad bind y'll find yourselves in.

Hey, maybe soon Texas will become a nation, again.
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 4104
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: American Words

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Jan 2019, 22:26

Quite a long time ago the (Australian) ABC broadcast a history of the Lewis and Clarke Expedition.

An educated American voice is very appealing, nice to listen to, except. . .you pronounce “tube” as “toob” etc and I find that grates, is not educated sounding.

We don’t have a huge river system like the Mississipi and its huge tributaries, even the “mighty Murray” used to become a series of isolated water holes in the dry seaso. So we have Capt. Sturt’s descent of the Murray, not as grand as the Lewis & Clarke Expedition.

Look up Burke and Wills expedition some time, that was epic and doomed.
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 53491
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Re: American Words

Postby Texan » 19 Jan 2019, 23:45

pinkeye wrote:Thank you Texan.
I read a lot about the west and south in my youth, but I never understood that Texas was an independent territory.
I knew about the Alamo, but always assumed it was an action taken to bolster American defences against the Mexicans.
I never understood Texas stood alone.


I did study American History during my high school years.
It was more addressing things like the founding of the nation, and the Emancipation etc... Long time ago now.

Also read plenty of Western literature :bgrin Matt Chisholm, JT Edson, and earlier , Zane Grey.

Which is why I feel so dismayed by the really bad bind y'll find yourselves in.

Hey, maybe soon Texas will become a nation, again.

I don’t see a scenario where Texas secession would be anything but very painful and hard on all parties involved. America can’t afford to lose Texas. We make too much energy, provide too much technology, agriculture, and military manufacturing. I can dream about it, but it would take a collapse of the US to make it worth the pain and that would suck for everyone.
Texan
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1185
Joined: 21 Oct 2018, 13:38
spamone: Animal

Re: American Words

Postby pinkeye » 20 Jan 2019, 00:23

the future is unknown

anything is possible
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 4104
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: American Words

Postby greggerypeccary » 29 Jul 2019, 14:53

This is one that came to my attention whilst watching 'Animal Kingdom' on Netflix.

Americans pronounce the name 'Craig' as 'Creg'.

For the first few episodes of the first series I thought the character's name was 'Greg', but when I listened carefully I could hear that they were saying 'Creg', instead of 'Craig'.

Weird.
User avatar
greggerypeccary
Warthog
 
Posts: 4284
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 14:52
spamone: Animal

Re: American Words

Postby HBS Guy » 29 Jul 2019, 17:04

SethBullock wrote:
Lols wrote:
SethBullock wrote:I own a 1990 Ford like this one. What do you call it? I call it a pick-up truck.

1990_ford_f-250_2_dr_xlt_lariat_extended_cab_lb-pic-5306021083466046122-1600x1200.jpeg


It's similar to the 1989 GMC we have, with the extended cab. Hubby calls it "the truck".

I call it a pain in the blurter, because he still hasn't put side steps on the vehicle for me to be able to get in and out of it without almost doing a hammy!!

We used to have a HQ Holden Kingswood Ute and it was called "the beaut ute".


"Blurter" = rear end, I assume.

"Doing a hammy" = falling?


Hammy—hamstring.
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 53491
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Re: American Words

Postby pinkeye » 30 Jul 2019, 23:00

Aussie wrote:
Texan wrote:Texas is crawling with Utes.


You made me Google. I suspected you were making a subtle reference to the Ute Indian Tribe, but I see they are from neighbouring Colorado.

You shall now call your pick-up truck a ute.

:beer


Oh yeah Utes are a tribe, as are Paiutes. So you'll think there are too many Indians.. :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :roll :roll :roll
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 4104
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: American Words

Postby Texan » 31 Jul 2019, 08:48

I didn’t even think of the Indian tribe, and I am part Choctaw Indian.
Texan
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1185
Joined: 21 Oct 2018, 13:38
spamone: Animal

Re: American Words

Postby pinkeye » 31 Jul 2019, 23:21

apologies

words are fascinating :bgrin
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 4104
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests