Electric Vehicles this week

For scientific papers on AGW, record happenings in the Arctic and the Greenland, Himalayan and Antarctic icesheets. Also weatherstorms and higher than average rainfalls and other extreme weather events.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Re: Electric Vehicles this week

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Aug 2019, 12:11

What you mean “No” white man?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 10 Aug 2019, 14:18

What do you mean, white man? Are you black bro?
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Aug 2019, 15:01

Answer the question, dickhead!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 10 Aug 2019, 16:24

Wat qestun?
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Aug 2019, 17:18

What you mean “No” white man?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Dax » 12 Aug 2019, 06:15

This why I'm against autonomous vehicles, no matter what anyone says, they will fail and result in disaster. It's also why I chose the kona, it's a real car, not a convoluted concept that is beginning to fail constantly.

"This is the appalling moment a Tesla car erupts in flames and explodes after a crash caused by an 'autopilot failure.'

The plug-in car rammed into a tow truck on Moscow’s ring road, leaving businessman driver Alexey Tretiyakov, 41, with a broken leg and his children suffering bruises and concussion.

He and his passengers escaped the car before was engulfed in the flames."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... oscow.html
Dax
Cheetah

Postby DonDeeHippy » 12 Aug 2019, 06:57

Dax wrote:This why I'm against autonomous vehicles, no matter what anyone says, they will fail and result in disaster. It's also why I chose the kona, it's a real car, not a convoluted concept that is beginning to fail constantly.

"This is the appalling moment a Tesla car erupts in flames and explodes after a crash caused by an 'autopilot failure.'

The plug-in car rammed into a tow truck on Moscow’s ring road, leaving businessman driver Alexey Tretiyakov, 41, with a broken leg and his children suffering bruises and concussion.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/08/11/tesla ... n-highway/
A Tesla vehicle involved in a collision burst into flames and exploded on a highway near Moscow last night, local media reported. The occupants were slightly injured, but the car is toast.
The model of the car is not clear from reporting, but seems to be either a Model S or Model 3. It was being driven by a 41-year-old Russian man, who had his children with him. He had reportedly engaged a drive assist feature (though not necessarily Autopilot) and had his hands on the wheel when he crashed into a tow truck in the left lane.
The driver broke his legs and the kids got away with just bruises, Reuters reported, but the car wasn’t so lucky.
While cars crash and catch fire on a fairly regular basis, Teslas have a rare but recurring problem of bursting into flame after a crash. The unique dangers of battery-based vehicles are of course interesting, but the sensational nature of reports around them can also give a false idea of those dangers. Tesla cars are in crashes about as often as other vehicles, but fires are rare.
Whether Autopilot was involved is also not clear. The drive-assist mode the driver was using may simply have been cruise control or the like, and the driver told papers that he didn’t notice the tow truck. Until more facts are known speculation is fruitless.

So a bad accident and a car caught on fire, remember just in the USA there are 840 car fire a DAY.....most cars in horrendous accident catch fire... the important thing is that the occupant got away from a major accident relatively unhurt.

It's still speculation on what driving aids where in the car and i'm pretty sure Tesla isn't officialy in Russia yet and doesn't officially cover it's road as safe to use it's software …..

I'm sure Tesla will release the imformation of what was happening from their blackbox, that is if they can get it from Russia...
So far they don't even know if it was a Model 3 or Model S, id say the later , the Model 3 have been in major accidents and the Batteries have NEVER caught on fire yet.
As for a concept you do realize Tesla's are now the biggest Passenger car makers in the world for Electric Vehicle's, they have sold around 1,000,000 so far.....they sell around the same amount of cars as Porche and lots more than JAG.

If you want to do sensationalist news with no real facts, you can say at least the Tesla's don't explode in Canadian Garages like the Kona's do, not even being charged and the explosion was so big it blew the doors off the Garage.....(and might I add there are only around a hundred Kona's in Canada and thousands of Tesla's)

As for Autonomous vehicles they only have to be better than our worse drivers to stop some of the 1200 deaths a year in Australia that happen....

If this was a normal car it would not be world wide news, no major injuries and a car catching fire after a major accident.
Dont get caught up in sensationalist news Dax and fall for the Hype, expecially when the reports dont even know what model the car is and no idea of what driving aids where on and only the words of the driver and no official report..:purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby DonDeeHippy » 12 Aug 2019, 09:27

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/08/10/te ... r-of-2019/
Tesla Cars = #1 In US Luxury Car Sales In 2nd Quarter Of 2019

The Tesla Model 3 absolutely embarrassed the luxury car competition in the United States in the second quarter, as explained and visualized in a CleanTechnica report last night. More broadly, the following report looks at overall luxury car sales and overall luxury auto sales in the US last quarter.
Naturally, Tesla does better when just comparing car sales since that’s the category in which it has a high-volume, mass-market model (the Model 3). Other automakers sell a lot of crossovers and SUVs, whereas Tesla has no crossovers on the market (yet) and only the high-priced Model X SUV.
Looking at the luxury car ranking, Tesla took the title in the second quarter, on the shoulders of the Model 3’s unprecedented domination of its class.
As I’ve said and written many times before, it’s shocking but not surprising that Tesla is already performing so well. It’s shocking because of how young the company is, and because so much negative misinformation is put out their about Tesla and its vehicles, but it’s not surprising because the Model 3 offers better performance, better infotainment and autonomous driving tech, greater safety, and a much lower total cost of ownership than competing luxury cars. I think most of the non-Tesla luxury car buyers simply haven’t experienced or even learned about Tesla vehicles. The good thing is: that means there’s still a big, wide market for Tesla to tap.

Considering the amount of Negative press about Tesla and how easy people are fooled about this company, I find it fascinating to watch how they are demolishing their competition and in such a short timeframe.
They genuinely care for their customers and it's beginning to show in Numbers being sold... Their only problem is they cant supply demand and that's good problem to have.

They went from making 2000 cars to 250,000 per year in 6 years. Highest approval from their Customers of any car brand and they highest percentage of return customers, yes there are problems and dissatisfied customers but Tesla does listen and change things on their cars as they make them to address these concerns, unlike all the others that only change a car cosmetically once a year in their "Model Change". :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby DonDeeHippy » 12 Aug 2019, 10:03

Dax wrote:This why I'm against autonomous vehicles, no matter what anyone says, they will fail and result in disaster. It's also why I chose the kona, it's a real car, not a convoluted concept that is beginning to fail constantly.

court cases against hyundai in 2019
Why are Hyundai engines failing?
That can cause abnormal combustion and damage pistons and connecting rods. A failed connecting rod can pierce the engine block and cause oil leaks that can cause fires. So far Hyundai and Kia have recalled about 2.4 million vehicles to fix problems that can cause fires and engine failures since 2015
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/automot ... s&filter=1

If you want to start looking at Hyundai's record on the reliability of their cars and how often the catch on fire or how many court cases against them because of unsatisfied customers then I'll be happy to get into that....Just to compare Tesla and Hyundai on reliability safety and customer satisfaction of course...
Considering this class action against Tesla is from 19 people , that own Tesla cars that are over 5 years old, in the scheme of things and compared to Hyundai it's just a bit of sensationalism :purple
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby Dax » 12 Aug 2019, 13:17

What does ICE vehicles have to do with EV's, in performance and reliability, nothing. Would never buy a Hyundai ICE car, or virtually any modern ICE car. The Kona has an excellent record, much cheaper than a tesla model 3, goes further than the model 3, is a normal car in most ways and a dream to drive. Have driven and tested a number of EV's overseas and here, how many have you driven and tested, other than in your head.

Posted the article regarding the tesla catching fire because of it's auto drive system, which according to what I read, it failed to see what was in front of it and the driver wasn't attentive and there lies the problem with autonomous road vehicles. No matter how good they are, they cant see everything, nor the range or reactions a human can. You can make it out in any way you want, but doubt you've even driven a tesla or any other EV, the total opposite to me.

Bought the Kona, because of price, reliable test reports and it's ability to go a pretty long way on a charge. The more I drive it, the longer the range it's getting because of how its driven. Having well over a decades DIY experience with lithium storage, understand pretty well how they work and now only charging the kona to the degree needed for the specific trip.

From my experience, the charging regime and parameters are very important for longevity, reliability and safety. So am trying to stick with the charge parameters that I feel will provide the best outcome economically, reliability and longevity. Only time will tell If am right or not, but my house, bus and workshop lifepo4 systems are well over ten years old and they perform better now than in the past and still have 100% capacity, which never gets used because they are so good.

The Kona is really to small for my purposes, but is giving me EV experience, so when get the Rivian or other E SUV, will know how to drive it for the best results. Am investigating the cost of converting a landcruiser to EV, which may or may not happen, will depend on range and conversion costs. but an interesting exercise.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby Bongalong » 12 Aug 2019, 14:27

DonDeeHippy wrote:https://cleantechnica.com/2019/08/10/tesla-cars-1-in-us-luxury-car-sales-in-2nd-quarter-of-2019/

The Tesla Model 3 absolutely embarrassed the luxury car competition in the United States in the second quarter, as explained and visualized in a CleanTechnica report last night. More broadly, the following report looks at overall luxury car sales and overall luxury auto sales in the US last quarter.
Naturally, Tesla does better when just comparing car sales since that’s the category in which it has a high-volume, mass-market model (the Model 3). Other automakers sell a lot of crossovers and SUVs, whereas Tesla has no crossovers on the market (yet) and only the high-priced Model X SUV.
Looking at the luxury car ranking, Tesla took the title in the second quarter, on the shoulders of the Model 3’s unprecedented domination of its class.
As I’ve said and written many times before, it’s shocking but not surprising that Tesla is already performing so well. It’s shocking because of how young the company is, and because so much negative misinformation is put out their about Tesla and its vehicles, but it’s not surprising because the Model 3 offers better performance, better infotainment and autonomous driving tech, greater safety, and a much lower total cost of ownership than competing luxury cars. I think most of the non-Tesla luxury car buyers simply haven’t experienced or even learned about Tesla vehicles. The good thing is: that means there’s still a big, wide market for Tesla to tap.

Considering the amount of Negative press about Tesla and how easy people are fooled about this company, I find it fascinating to watch how they are demolishing their competition and in such a short timeframe.
They genuinely care for their customers and it's beginning to show in Numbers being sold... Their only problem is they cant supply demand and that's good problem to have.

They went from making 2000 cars to 250,000 per year in 6 years. Highest approval from their Customers of any car brand and they highest percentage of return customers, yes there are problems and dissatisfied customers but Tesla does listen and change things on their cars as they make them to address these concerns, unlike all the others that only change a car cosmetically once a year in their "Model Change". :purple

Dax is actually promoting them: :beer
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby DonDeeHippy » 13 Aug 2019, 07:02

Dax wrote:What does ICE vehicles have to do with EV's, in performance and reliability, nothing. Would never buy a Hyundai ICE car, or virtually any modern ICE car. The Kona has an excellent record, much cheaper than a tesla model 3, goes further than the model 3, is a normal car in most ways and a dream to drive. Have driven and tested a number of EV's overseas and here, how many have you driven and tested, other than in your head.

Posted the article regarding the tesla catching fire because of it's auto drive system, which according to what I read, it failed to see what was in front of it and the driver wasn't attentive and there lies the problem with autonomous road vehicles. No matter how good they are, they cant see everything, nor the range or reactions a human can. You can make it out in any way you want, but doubt you've even driven a tesla or any other EV, the total opposite to me.

Bought the Kona, because of price, reliable test reports and it's ability to go a pretty long way on a charge. The more I drive it, the longer the range it's getting because of how its driven. Having well over a decades DIY experience with lithium storage, understand pretty well how they work and now only charging the kona to the degree needed for the specific trip.

From my experience, the charging regime and parameters are very important for longevity, reliability and safety. So am trying to stick with the charge parameters that I feel will provide the best outcome economically, reliability and longevity. Only time will tell If am right or not, but my house, bus and workshop lifepo4 systems are well over ten years old and they perform better now than in the past and still have 100% capacity, which never gets used because they are so good.

The Kona is really to small for my purposes, but is giving me EV experience, so when get the Rivian or other E SUV, will know how to drive it for the best results. Am investigating the cost of converting a landcruiser to EV, which may or may not happen, will depend on range and conversion costs. but an interesting exercise.

you basically did a post about a class action against Tesla made by 19 people to show that Tesla's are no good.... Hyundai have worse record for the way they treat their customers, The Kona only has a better range than the cheapest Tesla and only by a bit and Kona is lot smaller... considering they are very close in price and one is a luxury vehicle is amazing, when Hyundai's luxury division Release a EV they will have a problem, their standard car will be the same price or they will need to be more expensive their direct competitors.
The Kona has only been available for about a year and only a few made so it's a bit soon to say how reliable they will be, I hope they are great and Hyundai can get it's battery problems sorted so they can make more because they sound like a great car and the quicker we go to EV's the better.
now you going for a attack on me personally instead of facts again Dax and yes as soon as Tesla opening in Brisbane I took the Tesla S and the X for a 30 min test drive, I think the salesman let it go on because I was basically selling the car to him...
1,000,000 people die a year from Vehicle accidents, it wont take much for Autonomous vehicles to bring the death toll down....
now as I said you making judgement on that accident with no facts... The only fact is the Tesla hit a stationary car in Moscow and the car protected it occupants even though it was a major accident, anything else is speculation until more Facts arrive, remember if your going to say it was Tesla's driving enhancement then you also have to say the Kona in Canada just blew up for no reason in Canada... again no facts , Yet :purple

EDIT latest news on Moscow crash including fortage of the accident as it happened, looks like a car fire happened not the battery pack, definately no advanced computer control as Russia is not covered by Tesla and the funtions are turned off by the company....

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-3 ... ow-so-far/
Last edited by DonDeeHippy on 13 Aug 2019, 08:38, edited 1 time in total.
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Aug 2019, 07:58

Artificial Intelligence will see autonomous driving become default. Less intelligent, slower and erratically moving humans will have to be on a different physical level to let the autonomous cars drive at great speed.

The dash cam I put in my car tells me when I am getting closer to the car in front so collisions with stationary objects can be fixed.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 13 Aug 2019, 08:35

HBS Guy wrote:Artificial Intelligence will see autonomous driving become default. Less intelligent, slower and erratically moving humans will have to be on a different physical level to let the autonomous cars drive at great speed.

The dash cam I put in my car tells me when I am getting closer to the car in front so collisions with stationary objects can be fixed.

yup computers don't have to worry if
your late for work and will be fired if your late again
Tired
Distracted, so many distractions ,phones, kids in the back, passengers
Think you own the road like so many you see if you drive in a city...
again they only have to be better than our worse drivers to save lives.

a third of all accidents in Australia is because people drive to close to each other if that was just fixed and the cars forced a safe distance behind the next that would save 400 lives a year just in Australia... :purple
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby Bongalong » 13 Aug 2019, 13:25

DonDeeHippy wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Artificial Intelligence will see autonomous driving become default. Less intelligent, slower and erratically moving humans will have to be on a different physical level to let the autonomous cars drive at great speed.

Tired

a third of all accidents in Australia is because people drive to close to each other if that was just fixed and the cars forced a safe distance behind the next that would save 400 lives a year just in Australia... :purple

Really?
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby DonDeeHippy » 13 Aug 2019, 14:25

Bongalong wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:

Tired

Really?

https://www.budgetdirect.com.au/car-ins ... stics.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby Bongalong » 13 Aug 2019, 15:25

I hit a stationary object once: but I also have to admit that I DIDN'T GIVE WAY :rain
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Aug 2019, 18:31

:bgrin
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 13 Aug 2019, 19:00

HBS Guy wrote::bgrin

I'm telling ya: my bonnet, and all its relatives, never talked to me again!
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby DonDeeHippy » 14 Aug 2019, 06:36

my last ute i'd reversed into so many things the whole aluminium tray was a bit sideways for the last Metre, lucky they are pretty strong....The ute before didn't have a straight panel on it, so far (fingers crossed) I haven't dinted the new one.
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby DonDeeHippy » 14 Aug 2019, 07:38

DonDeeHippy wrote:https://cleantechnica.com/2019/08/10/tesla-cars-1-in-us-luxury-car-sales-in-2nd-quarter-of-2019/

I reported the other day that the Model 3 was the 10th best selling vehicle in Sweden in July. I also reported that the Model 3 was the 9th best selling car in the United States in the second quarter of 2019. Switzerland and Liechtenstein (which report sales together) top them both. The Tesla Model 3 was the 4th best selling vehicle in Switzerland and Liechtenstein in the first half of the year.
These figure's are against normal Petrol and diesel cars, they are also the best selling EV's in there countries.... :purple
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby DonDeeHippy » 14 Aug 2019, 07:55

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/08/12/te ... s-for-630/
Tesla Model 3 Owner Drives 15,000 Miles For $630
The owner of a long range, rear wheel drive Tesla Model 3 recently took to Reddit to unpack the actual cost of charging at his home charger and at each Supercharger visited in over 13 months of ownership. He graciously shared the data for each session in a single Google spreadsheet that has all the fun details, for the data curious. Thanks to his eMotorwerks/EnelX JuiceBox 40, he was able to pull down data from each charging session that puts everything into scale.

SO that's about $1000 AUD to do 24,000 KM's. and his base electricity is about the same as you get in Aus (about 17c per KWH off peak).
now the most fuel efficient car in Australia is the Prius is 3.4L per 100km's and I don't know anyone that has ever had a car that does as well as the official fuel standards, but anyway.
So if fuel is $1.50 per litre 24,000km would take 816L and cost $1224...
However according to Government stats the Average fuel consumption is 10L per 100KM's that would cost $3600 for fuel from a Average car in Australia....
Considering you can Buy a Tesla in Australia now cheaper than it's competitors ( luxury small/mid class cars) and it's cheaper to run and lots cheaper to maintain, it will be interesting to see if they start taking off.... :purple
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby Bongalong » 14 Aug 2019, 12:30

DonDeeHippy wrote:my last ute i'd reversed into so many things the whole aluminium tray was a bit sideways for the last Metre, lucky they are pretty strong....The ute before didn't have a straight panel on it, so far (fingers crossed) I haven't dinted the new one.

My friend with a trailer ... round the new car .. lol
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Bongalong » 14 Aug 2019, 12:32

DonDeeHippy wrote:

I reported the other day that the Model 3 was the 10th best selling vehicle in Sweden in July. I also reported that the Model 3 was the 9th best selling car in the United States in the second quarter of 2019. Switzerland and Liechtenstein (which report sales together) top them both. The Tesla Model 3 was the 4th best selling vehicle in Switzerland and Liechtenstein in the first half of the year.
These figure's are against normal Petrol and diesel cars, they are also the best selling EV's in there countries.... :purple

I suppose this is good news :OMG
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Dax » 14 Aug 2019, 15:27

Here's an article surrounding the Kona which backs up my experience with one, they can go a very long way on one charge and have a fabulous regen system that I found hard to believe, but is backed up by the article/video. Under the right conditions and with careful driving, you could go very long way without recharging.

"Lemon-Tea Leaf sets out on a road trip to see if the Kona Electric can make it 300 miles or more on a single charge. The weather conditions appear to be decent, despite a touch of rain. He's travelling at normal speeds, often between 55 and 70 mph, though he makes a good point to take advantage of the car's regenerative braking as much as possible. It also handles 100kw charging, which is excellent

Check out the video. We think you'll be pleasantly surprised, if not shocked, by the results."

https://insideevs.com/news/364377/video ... -electric/

Here's another article which will make EV.s even batter and use less energy, won't be long before the range of choice will be so huge and take you so far, once they start putting solar cells into the bodies, range could become unlimited under the right conditions. Never know, may not be long before range becomes a thing of the past and EV's will travel all day without recharging.

"It seems electric motors just needed a push to present amazing technical developments. And that this push came from electric cars. Now we see new concepts fairly often, such as the Magnax motor or the plastic electric motor showed recently and this one, which comes from Texas and Linear Labs. It is called HET, or Hunstable Electric Turbine. And it claims to offer at least two times more torque density than the current top permanent magnet motors in the market.

That is just for starter. Linear Labs also states it has three times more power density and delivers 10 percent more range. The engine would also use 30 percent less copper. And that happens precisely due to the advantages the new motor design offers, according to the company."

https://insideevs.com/news/364852/linea ... c-turbine/
Dax
Cheetah

PreviousNext

Return to Global Warming and Australian Energy Market