What are you doing right now?

Casual chatting. Guest posting allowed.

Welcome to the various guests visiting here. Why not register? The real PA—a home away from home when OzPol is down.

Hot topic: Handmaid’s Tale

Just post here—don’t need to join.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.

Re: What are you doing right now?

Postby pinkeye » 27 Aug 2019, 02:50

mothra wrote:
pinkeye wrote:glad its ur prob. good luck.

as for me.?/ keying one-handed again. and not for long.

Oooh bummer. Glad you have been seen to. Get some Comfrey cream onto it. Tryst me, the stuff works miracles for breaks.

thanks M
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

spamone: Animal

Postby johnsmith » 27 Aug 2019, 16:26

mothra wrote:
Good grief man! At what point in the last bunch of years has your kid given you the impression he's a little angel? Beware! You've been lulled into a false sense of security! You're a dead man walking.

he's the charmer of the two. Always coming for hugs and kisses, always complimenting both his mother and I for our cooking, dress etc . He's knows how to get what he wants ... which makes his behavior even more out of character.

He did wake up this morning wheezing and with a cough. Both he and his brother always play up before they get sick.

The good news is that the suspension was only one day. He's back at school tomorrow. We had him write the girl a note apologizing for his actions.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Aug 2019, 12:37

What am I doing? Sitting in a winery restaurant waiting to give my order--smoked salmon tart and a glass of A very nice riesling.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby greggerypeccary » 28 Aug 2019, 14:37

HBS Guy wrote:What am I doing? Sitting in a winery restaurant waiting to give my order--smoked salmon tart and a glass of A very nice riesling.

Hmm, nice :bgrin

SA Riesling?
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Aug 2019, 18:47

Skillogalee winery 2018 riesling—Clare Valley, SA.

Didn’t want to go home straight after lunch—we would hit peak hour traffic anyway—so we went to Burra. One shop there had a model truck made by BuddyL and I would love to own it: $150, that would pay for a heap of posts for my pergolas! Go back late Oct.

Nice back story to BuddyL: the father ran a company making fenders for ag machinery. One night he went to the factory and made a toy car out of steel scrap for his two year old son. Then they changed to just making model cars. Hoping this truck was made in the US else it is not worth $1.50 to me.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby greggerypeccary » 29 Aug 2019, 10:07

HBS Guy wrote:Skillogalee winery 2018 riesling—Clare Valley, SA.

Ah yes, I think I know it.

Not all that far away from Martindale Hall - the school in Picnic at Hanging Rock (10 or 15 kms maybe).

I remember doing a tour around that area about ten years ago.

I like SA Riesling.

Not too keen on the German stuff though.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 29 Aug 2019, 14:15

Yes, I did the tour there but they stopped those soon after.

Pauletts and Skillogalee, opposite side of the main road, both great wine and great food. As a side I chose roasted brussel sprouts with maple syrup and bacon. Heavenly! The muscat creme brulee was great too, smooth, nice shard of toffee.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby greggerypeccary » 29 Aug 2019, 14:18

HBS Guy wrote:Yes, I did the tour there but they stopped those soon after.

Pauletts and Skillogalee, opposite side of the main road, both great wine and great food. As a side I chose roasted brussel sprouts with maple syrup and bacon. Heavenly! The muscat creme brulee was great too, smooth, nice shard of toffee.

No more tours of the school house? Aw :sad

Maple syrup - interesting.

I do roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon, parmesan, olive oil, and freshly crushed garlic.

I might try the maple syrup.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 29 Aug 2019, 14:25

It didn’t taste sweet or anything.

I will try roasting some sprouts again.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DreamRyderX » 29 Sep 2019, 09:42

I was just watching the US Marine Silent Drill Platoon at Fort Henry in 2015.

It can be be best appreciated in full screen by pressing play then the name Youtube
on bottom right, which will take you to Youtube. Then use the Full Screen Mode there)

..............................USMC Marine Corps ..... Semper Fi -- First In, Last Out

Never water yerself down just because someone might not be able ta handle ya at "190 Proof"
DreamRyderX
Pitbull terrier

Postby greggerypeccary » 01 Oct 2019, 15:53

greggerypeccary wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Yes, I did the tour there but they stopped those soon after.

No more tours of the school house? Aw :sad

Maple syrup - interesting.

I do roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon, parmesan, olive oil, and freshly crushed garlic.

I might try the maple syrup.

I tried the maple syrup.

Very nice! :bgrin

I mixed a little maple syrup (Genuine Canadian) with a little bit of balsamic vinegar and poured it over the top.

Yummy.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Oct 2019, 17:41

Kicking back after a hard days work on the block. Seven Sheds “Willie Warmer” doing the job.

Glad to see that the holes I dug for planting trees were easier to dig than the same holes in Apr 2018! Gypsum, bit sand and mainly LOTS of mulch did the job. Not perfect—bottoms of the hole still clay but not the clay I met in 2018!

Interesting observation—where I had mulched with the hardwood chips—lots of holes dug by rabbits! In the mounds of pine chips—hardly any sign of rabbit. Where there was thick peastraw—no sign of rabbit activity! Obviously—I need to cover the hardwood chip mulch with reasonable amount of peastraw.

The more mulch the better—saw some nice fat earthworms in the holes. Let them not me do the digging the clay! Too cold for many but definitely some! And nice and fat!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Oct 2019, 17:51

This morning I was painting the trees to be planted, painting them with bituminous paint. Black as!

To discourage rabbits from eating the tender young bark of my trees.

Bloody rabbits! Tasty tho!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 03 Oct 2019, 03:54

I'm getting over my first visit for physio at the hospital, for my broken arm.

Sigh. I think it'll be a long process to get back full use and strength. I think I'm realising I'm not as young as I think I am, and it's been a bit of a shock to me. all around.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Oct 2019, 14:50

Sitting back relaxing. Two hard days work but nine cider apple trees planted!

Two King David, spicy and tart, how could I not buy those? Hello, spicy?

One Dabinet bitter sweet (bitter, high sugar.) One I *think* is Dabinet

Two Yarlington Mill, premium bittersweet (should have FOUR of these what ?????) One I will pick up Saturday so three of those.

One Improved Foxwhelp, bitter sharp

One Brown Snout, reliable cropper, bittersweet.

Did change my mind about Row 3, has 4 posts in it. Will have espaliered apples, not pears. Still leaves 17 bloody perry (and eating) pears in rows 4 & 5. Had been thinking 26 perry pears a bit much.

Apple flavor in (hard) cider. There isn’t any, like wine does not taste like grape juice BUT add an aromatic apple to the crush and you will have a nice hint apple flavor. McIntosh I will buy and it is aromatic. Esopus Spitzenberg, father of Jonathon, will add complexity.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 06 Oct 2019, 09:03

Took the boys to brissie yesterday, spent most of the day riding scooters along the river front since oldest got a new scooter for his birthday. Between the boards and the pavers, my scooter unfortunately didn't survive although I should be grateful that she waited until we were near the end of the ride before she gave way on me.

Then in the afternoon we took them to Archerfield Speedway to watch some sprint car racing and monster trucks. It was part of the oldests 10th birthday present as he likes his monster trucks. It was a first for all of us. Kids absolutely loved it, not just the trucks, but they've become huge fans of the sprint cars. They're still buzzing about it today. I knew it was a good idea when at the end of the night my oldest thanked us for the day and said it was his 'best birthday ever' (a big call as we always try to do something different on his birthdays)... even the wife had an absolute ball. Which was a surprise as none of us are petrol heads.

FYI, if anyone decides to ever go watch sprint cars, remember to wear old clothes and a cap. It will rain mud on you. :grn
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 06 Oct 2019, 09:06

10.30 (nearly) Sunday morning and I am having breakfast. Scandalously late!

However, took the dog for a walk at 7.00am and have been working on the plan of action for the rest of the week: went and picked up the trees I ordered April this year: won’t need to dig huge holes, being so young the roots aren’t huge.

Ordered 8 bales peastraw, plus have one left over from April, 2 cubic metres hardwood chips and one cubic metre small gravel arrive tomorrow. Need to order a couple metres of soil—raise the ground where the trees are, improve drainage. Watering the trees already planted (8 cider apples) I noticed the water drained away freely—the result of a lot of work on the soil over the past two years.

Hoping this pear lives up to its billing: https://www.woodbridgefruittrees.com.au/dwarf-pears/118-doyenne-du-comice.html
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 11 Oct 2019, 00:48

I'm recovering from 1 & 3/4 hrs in a dental chair.

Work I had to put off because I broke my arm, and couldn't drive there.

Sigh. I think it's good. 3 mths before I have to go back.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Oct 2019, 04:24

Lying in bed on my penultimate morning here in the B&B, dog snoring at the foot of the bed. Lots of aches—was a busy but productive day yesterday. Today all I need to do is finish tidying the shed, finish moving stuff to the new shelving then run around with a wheelbarrow dropping woodchip mulch, easy day.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Previous

Return to Sand Pit