Gardening

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Gardening

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Oct 2019, 16:19

Half a day work left just spreading some mulch.

There is one Green Horse pear I am not sure if it will make it And not sure if the second Early Burlat tree is alive—might just be retarded in growth this year, maybe too dry overwintering in the shed. The other Early Burlat is zooming, blossoms and leaves like anything!

Considering 32 trees just 1 or 2 casualties not to bad, eh?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 11 Oct 2019, 16:25

Fotos fucker!
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Oct 2019, 16:39

Nah, the trees are too small to show up.

Maybe in summer, just before Christmas, should all be in leaf and visible.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Oct 2019, 00:40

Some of the clematis I bought have flowers 10-15cm across!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 14 Oct 2019, 13:55

HBS Guy wrote:Some of the clematis I bought have flowers 10-15cm across!

Is there something they are going to climb up on, vine like?
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Oct 2019, 16:18

Yeah, two pergolas. The posts for those should be up this week.

A concrete pier just outside the bigger pergola and on its centre line will also be made—a fountain will be put on the pier eventually.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 14 Oct 2019, 20:18

i first glanced at this while talking to someone else and i thought you were saying you had chlamydia :b :b :b :b
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Oct 2019, 21:10

:huh :WTF
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 15 Oct 2019, 05:17

johnsmith wrote:

i first glanced at this while talking to someone else and i thought you were saying you had chlamydia :b :b :b :b

Ahh the sweet aroma of chlamydia :rose
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 15 Oct 2019, 09:44

One photo—some of the pear trees. I ordered them this year so they are just a thin whip, no branches yet:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 15 Oct 2019, 09:56

I will try to get a higher resolution version of that picture.

Notice the black trunks? Bituminous paint to deter rabbits who LOVE the tender bark on young trees and can ringbark ALL your trees overnight!

These are in the rows with the posts in them—wires will be run at heights of 60cm, 120cm and 180cm and the whips pruned at 65cm and branches as they form will be tied to the wires. This way a lot (26) trees can be grown in a fairly small space. 2m spacings between the rows so wheelbarrows, lawnmowers etc can be run up and down between the rows. The last row on the right is not going to be used so the soil and mulch from that will be spread between the trees in the perry pears or wherever it is needed. That will give me seven metres by 15 metres of ground between the pergola and the first row of pear trees for flowers etc—Front and (eastern) side yards will be veges and raspberries. No blackberries unless there is a nice seedless variety—blackberries are a noxious weed and I do not want to be blamed for blackberries springing up in fields and gardens!!!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 15 Oct 2019, 14:14

Couple more pictures, a clematis in flower:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 15 Oct 2019, 14:19

Two peach trees that will be espaliered in fan shape, as will the cherries.

Fan shape espalier example:

Peach trees (one eating one preserving type, near one Anzac peach, one behind Golden Queen peach. These will be fan espaliered on the small pergola:
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 15 Oct 2019, 16:21

Hey monk how big is your block, you have probably said it a hundred times, and by the way it’s looking awesome the rows of trees look great. :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 15 Oct 2019, 16:36

DonDeeHippy wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

Ahh the sweet aroma of chlamydia :rose

monks been a busy boy :giggle
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Oct 2019, 10:33

DonDeeHippy wrote:Hey monk how big is your block, you have probably said it a hundred times, and by the way it’s looking awesome the rows of trees look great. :purple

825sqm. House will be 87.2 sqm so plenty of room for garden.

I will be back there early Jan (assuming all the complicated arrangements work out) and may be able to take better photos. Still got perry pear trees to order and plant, think I will pay someone there to do it.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 17 Oct 2019, 15:39

With any luck I will have a outdoor eating/entertaining area that looks like this:
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 17 Oct 2019, 15:44

Of course, with the fucking clay that makes up my block pavers are out—the clay would tilt them creating major tripping hazards. I reckon 50mm pine chips with 100mm white gravel on top of that. Hang a speaker on one of the posts and Mozart string quartets or similar would be softly tittilating my one working ear while I eat the morning egg (from my own chooks, natch) or muffin etc.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 17 Oct 2019, 15:59

HBS Guy wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:Hey monk how big is your block, you have probably said it a hundred times, and by the way it’s looking awesome the rows of trees look great. :purple

825sqm. House will be 87.2 sqm so plenty of room for garden.

I will be back there early Jan (assuming all the complicated arrangements work out) and may be able to take better photos. Still got perry pear trees to order and plant, think I will pay someone there to do it.

Ohh nice sized block, not to big to manage and big enough to have a bit growing on it :thumb
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 17 Oct 2019, 16:27

Yeah, I did look at some rural blocks but really I am a city boy, what would I do on 3Ha or bigger? Go mad I think.

I have some neighbors, am 10 minute walk from town centre, hours drive to main town for the area, more than that for Launceston market but that is only once a week and has other amenities so worth it.

Room for chooks, room for a small greenhouse/poly tunnel. Can largely live off the block.

By squeezing the carport down and pinching bits of space from lounge and entrance hall/WC-bath can have a dressing room + tiny office off BR and a walk in pantry off the kitchen, on the other side, generous linen press by the bathroom.

And strawbale construction!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Oct 2019, 06:53

Been looking at pollination partners for the perry pears to come (mostly Gin and Moorcroft (https://www.woodbridgefruittrees.com.au/23-perry-pears) and shit I did right in planting the eating pears the way I did!

Moorcroft can be pollinated by Beurre Bosc and Doyen du Comice (Beurre bosc can itself be used as a perry pear, puts some nice pear character in it) and Row 4 has Beurre Bosc and Doyen du Comice at one end! So Moorcroft in Row 4, 7 trees.

Gin can be pollinated by Beurre Bosc and Williams—which I planted at one end of Row 3! 5 or 6 Gin trees in Row 3! I bought and planted two Beurre bosc trees, one for eating/cooking, one for perry.

I probably won’t bother with Yellow Huffcap. Green Horse is great for preserving as well as perry, finish planting Row 5 with them and perhaps a Winter Nelis, pretty powerful pear pollinator and nice eating pear harvested late that keeps well:
Winter Nelis is a late-season dessert pear which keeps well through the winter. It is not perhaps the prettiest of pears, but with this is one you grow for flavour - few others come close.

Of course, any pear that does not look nice will go in the perry crush, ditto for apples—waste not want not. Cherries that maybe are split etc—into cherry jam or into the freezer to be added to a suitable beer when that has finished fermenting but before bottling.

Need a Cox Orange Pippin—all round best eating apple! Can go on the apple tunnel. Want another King David for juice—bottling apple juice is complicated, start by adding a heap of ascorbic acid—Vitamin C! then fill into bottles that, still open, are quickly put into a water bath and after that the bottles are sealed. These have a spicy–tart flavor that should make a great juice! Apparently the ascorbic acid gets “eaten” by the applejuice hence the need for speed. So, as Seth would say, I will be making cider and hard cider. :bgrin

Bramley’s Seedling—that should make awesome apple butter!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Oct 2019, 07:05

Will see in January how the trees fared, any replacements needed etc. Order the trees in April as soon as orders open, get a local to plant and prune them. This year I was on my block and didn’t check my emails properly and missed the opening of orders, AARGH! Nevermind, will get them next year.

Only going one week in 2020—need to save my pennies for the house I want to build. But will ensure work is only a couple of days, the rest will be a holiday exploring Tassie! Spreading gypsum will be the main job to be done but might outsource that, have the inter-row spaces rotary hoed and gypsum spread—the effect of gypsum on clay only lasts three years and the initial addition of gypsum was 2017. The ground around and inside the pergolas needs to be rotary hoed and gypsum spread too, in March or April, then thickly mulched in Sep-Oct, that is the way to turn clay into soil. Definitely working on my block anyway—gypsum does not work on all clay soils, only on sodic clay (contains sodium, not calcium or magnesium.)

I poured some vinegar onto my soil—no fizzing so no calcium carbonate. That was a relief—trying to lower the pH of soils with lime in is nearly impossible! There is a rock that came out of the hole for one of the posts, need to find that, break it then test that with vinegar (this assumes the rock is part of the bedrock which may not be so.)

I use iron sulphate (tbsp in 10L water) to pour around the trees to acidify the soil: alkaline soil prevents plants taking up iron and boron, so using iron sulphate should make iron available as well as dropping pH. Another .5pH drop would be great. Mulch should also help acidify—it decays into humic acids. I bought some fulvic (a humic) acid and watered that in too.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Oct 2019, 08:31

My pear pollination table—I am probably overthinking all of this :roll :bgrin
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Nov 2019, 23:37

REALLY over thinking things, a form I created to enter all info about my trees:
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Nov 2019, 23:43

Another form is for adding pictures.

Then I can look up and record what trees diseases and other problems the trees might contract and what to do about it.

The guy who slashes my block has watered my trees twice now, all trees and plants are OK! Hopefully the pergola posts will go up soon and with it a dripper irrigation system! Water the trees at night—trees don’t take up water then so it can sink into the soil every two weeks, maybe weekly in summer?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic