The song remains the same ....

Casual chatting. Guest posting allowed.

Welcome to the various guests visiting here. Why not register? The real PA—a home away from home when OzPol is down.

Hot topic: Handmaid’s Tale



Just post here—don’t need to join.
.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.

Re: The song remains the same ....

Postby mothra » 08 Dec 2018, 00:36

Vale to a true legend, Pete Shelly of the Buzzcocks

Punk band front man Pete Shelly has died aged 63.

It is understood he died from a suspected heart attack in Estonia where he was living .

The Buzzcocks reached the height of their fame in the late seventies with hits such as “Ever fallen in Love”, “Promises”, “What do I get” and “Orgasm addict”



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=terg_LPT3X0&pbjreload=10
User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 5533
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 18:47
spamone: Animal

Re: The song remains the same ....

Postby SethBullock » 08 Dec 2018, 01:32

Lols wrote:Both so excellent in their own ways! The first one with the 2 guitars and banjo, what an amazing sound, awesome!
The second one, really hits home, the lyrics, I went a bit teary. How long is your son deployed for Seth?


Glad you liked them. Yes, that second one really gets to me too. My son has deployed four times, twice since he's been married. He is stateside right now.
"Humility must always be the portion of any man who receives acclaim earned in the blood of his followers and the sacrifices of his friends." - Dwight D Eisenhower
User avatar
SethBullock
Irish wolfhound
 
Posts: 611
Joined: 22 Oct 2018, 13:37
Location: Oregon, USA
spamone: Animal

Re: The song remains the same ....

Postby Lols » 08 Dec 2018, 10:50

mothra wrote:Vale to a true legend, Pete Shelly of the Buzzcocks

Punk band front man Pete Shelly has died aged 63.

It is understood he died from a suspected heart attack in Estonia where he was living .

The Buzzcocks reached the height of their fame in the late seventies with hits such as “Ever fallen in Love”, “Promises”, “What do I get” and “Orgasm addict”



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=terg_LPT3X0&pbjreload=10


I might have to google more of their songs to see if I recognize any, jeepers, 1978, and I can't recall them! :? Unless I was too busy working 6 days a week at that time, and no time for anything, travelled 3 hours a day total, to the city and back, get home late and exhausted, and cook, tidy up, ready for next early day. Seems I must have a bit of a blackout period for some songs, as it happened in the 1980's also, when the babies came along, it's like a blank period with music in the early 80's. Didn't have much time for myself, but now, I can do some catching up of those gap years :thumb like new music to my ears. :bgrin
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
User avatar
Lols
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 327
Joined: 11 Jun 2014, 00:58
spamone: Animal

Re: The song remains the same ....

Postby Lols » 08 Dec 2018, 10:53

SethBullock wrote:
Lols wrote:Both so excellent in their own ways! The first one with the 2 guitars and banjo, what an amazing sound, awesome!
The second one, really hits home, the lyrics, I went a bit teary. How long is your son deployed for Seth?


Glad you liked them. Yes, that second one really gets to me too. My son has deployed four times, twice since he's been married. He is stateside right now.


Good to hear he is doing okay, I would imagine one gets cleverer the longer one stays in a war situation, for survival instincts to truly kick in. Well hope so anyway.

I recall a lot of songs about Vietnam back in my teens, that had an effect also and told it like it was. Will google now to see if I can find some.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
User avatar
Lols
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 327
Joined: 11 Jun 2014, 00:58
spamone: Animal

Re: The song remains the same ....

Postby Lols » 08 Dec 2018, 11:00

Vietnam war songs.




Oh wow, now I remember this from Woodstock!! My previous avatar, I had the flower power influence me, and wore headband with Woodstock badge. All from these times and these songs.

"..and it's one, two, three....what are we waiting for....well I don't give a damn, next stop is Vietnam....."



"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
User avatar
Lols
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 327
Joined: 11 Jun 2014, 00:58
spamone: Animal

Re: The song remains the same ....

Postby Lols » 08 Dec 2018, 11:24

Australian Group Cold Chisel ~ Khe Sanh
This song had a special place in an online friend I had, he passed away suddenly earlier this year, but Jim, was drafted to the Vietnam war at the tender age of 18, and met a Aussie, fighting along side him, and they soon became best mates.
Jim always had a place in his heart for this song, dedicated to his aussie mate, whom sadly, died at war.
I hope they are reunited in mateship in the big blue yonder. RIP Jim, and this song is for you.





I left my heart to the sappers round Khe Sanh
And the soul was sold with my cigarettes to the black market man
I've had the Vietnam cold turkey
From the ocean to the Silver City
And it's only other vets could understand

About the long forgotten dockside guarantees
How there were no V-day heroes in nineteen seventy-three
How we sailed into Sydney Harbor
Saw an old friend but couldn't kiss her
She was lined, and I was home to the lucky land

And she was like so many more from that time on
Their lives were all so empty, till they found their chosen one
And their legs were often open
But their minds were always closed
And their hearts were held in fast suburban chains
And the legal pads were yellow, hours long, pay packet lean
And the telex writers clattered where the gunships once had been
Car parks made me jumpy
And I never stopped the dreams
Or the growing need for speed and Novocaine

So I worked across the country end to end
Tried to find a place to settle down, where my mixed up life could mend
Held a job on an oil-rig
Flying choppers when I could
Oh but the nightlife nearly drove me round the bend

And I've travelled round the world from year to year
And each one found me aimless, one more year the more for wear
And I've been back to South East Asia
But the answer sure ain't there
But I'm drifting north, to check things out again, yeah I am

Well the last plane out of Sydney's almost gone
And only seven flying hours, and I'll be landing in Hong Kong
There ain't nothing like the kisses
From a jaded Chinese princess
I'm gonna hit some Hong Kong mattress all night long

Well the last plane out of Sydney's almost gone
You know the last plane out of Sydney's almost gone
And it's really got me worried
I'm goin' nowhere and I'm in a hurry
And the last plane out of Sydney's almost gone

Well the last plane out of Sydney's almost gone
You know the last plane out of Sydney's almost gone
And it's really got me worried
I'm goin' nowhere and I'm in a hurry
You know the last plane out of Sydney's almost gone
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
User avatar
Lols
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 327
Joined: 11 Jun 2014, 00:58
spamone: Animal

Re: The song remains the same ....

Postby mothra » 08 Dec 2018, 12:19

Lols wrote:
mothra wrote:Vale to a true legend, Pete Shelly of the Buzzcocks

Punk band front man Pete Shelly has died aged 63.

It is understood he died from a suspected heart attack in Estonia where he was living .

The Buzzcocks reached the height of their fame in the late seventies with hits such as “Ever fallen in Love”, “Promises”, “What do I get” and “Orgasm addict”



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=terg_LPT3X0&pbjreload=10


I might have to google more of their songs to see if I recognize any, jeepers, 1978, and I can't recall them! :? Unless I was too busy working 6 days a week at that time, and no time for anything, travelled 3 hours a day total, to the city and back, get home late and exhausted, and cook, tidy up, ready for next early day. Seems I must have a bit of a blackout period for some songs, as it happened in the 1980's also, when the babies came along, it's like a blank period with music in the early 80's. Didn't have much time for myself, but now, I can do some catching up of those gap years :thumb like new music to my ears. :bgrin


There's not much on Youtube but the link i gave is to their biggest hit. I'd be stunned if you didn't know it.

For some reason (Monk!), i couldn't post it as a youtube and had to post it as a hyperlink.
User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 5533
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 18:47
spamone: Animal

Re: The song remains the same ....

Postby SethBullock » 08 Dec 2018, 13:41

I remember all those Viet Nam war songs well except that one by Cold Chisel which I had never heard before. A song with a very similar theme was released by the Charlie Daniels Band in 1982 - Still In Saigon.

"Humility must always be the portion of any man who receives acclaim earned in the blood of his followers and the sacrifices of his friends." - Dwight D Eisenhower
User avatar
SethBullock
Irish wolfhound
 
Posts: 611
Joined: 22 Oct 2018, 13:37
Location: Oregon, USA
spamone: Animal

Re: The song remains the same ....

Postby Lols » 08 Dec 2018, 16:24

Some very controversial well known photos there. Truly the picture tells a thousand words. How brave the photographers to do what they did.

Re: Cold Chisel, very famous Australian band, and lead singer, famous Aussie legend, Jimmy Barnes!
Here is a vid to one of his most famous songs "Working class man" one from earlier in his life, and then later as he ages with the rest of us. :bgrin He has a raspy gutsiness to his style of singing.







SethBullock wrote:I remember all those Viet Nam war songs well except that one by Cold Chisel which I had never heard before. A song with a very similar theme was released by the Charlie Daniels Band in 1982 - Still In Saigon.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
User avatar
Lols
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 327
Joined: 11 Jun 2014, 00:58
spamone: Animal

Re: The song remains the same ....

Postby Lols » 10 Dec 2018, 18:32

Have to see this movie! Love the song.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
User avatar
Lols
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 327
Joined: 11 Jun 2014, 00:58
spamone: Animal

Re: The song remains the same ....

Postby johnsmith » 10 Dec 2018, 18:40

Lols wrote:Have to see this movie! Love the song.




hate the song. Which of course means the radio stations have it on auto replay all bloody day long

What the fuck is Bradley Cooper doing thinking he can sing. He can't. He should stick to acting, at least that way he might get good at it. if he spreads his wings to far he'll be shit at everything he does.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Mastodon
 
Posts: 6882
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 22:39
spamone: Animal

Re: The song remains the same ....

Postby Lols » 10 Dec 2018, 19:08

johnsmith wrote:
Lols wrote:Have to see this movie! Love the song.




hate the song. Which of course means the radio stations have it on auto replay all bloody day long

What the fuck is Bradley Cooper doing thinking he can sing. He can't. He should stick to acting, at least that way he might get good at it. if he spreads his wings to far he'll be shit at everything he does.


Oh no! :? Don't tell me the film is crap....I'm still going to go see it anyway. I will put up a different song I love from Lady Gaga.

ps......I don't ever have the radio on, not even when driving. Everyone else does in the family but me!! :roll
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
User avatar
Lols
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 327
Joined: 11 Jun 2014, 00:58
spamone: Animal

Re: The song remains the same ....

Postby Lols » 10 Dec 2018, 19:10

This song "Million reasons" is beautiful, and was the song that daughter did one of her dances with the dance company last year on stage, so graceful and eloquent. Daughter is on the left hand side in both pictures.



Image

Image
Last edited by Lols on 10 Dec 2018, 19:18, edited 1 time in total.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
User avatar
Lols
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 327
Joined: 11 Jun 2014, 00:58
spamone: Animal

Re: The song remains the same ....

Postby johnsmith » 10 Dec 2018, 19:12

Lols wrote:Oh no! :? Don't tell me the film is crap....I'm still going to go see it anyway



I haven't seen the movie .... I was talking about the song, and his acting abilities in general
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Mastodon
 
Posts: 6882
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 22:39
spamone: Animal

Re: The song remains the same ....

Postby Lols » 10 Dec 2018, 19:21

johnsmith wrote:
Lols wrote:Oh no! :? Don't tell me the film is crap....I'm still going to go see it anyway



I haven't seen the movie .... I was talking about the song, and his acting abilities in general


Didn't he do that Amercian Sniper movie, about the true story of the sniper in Afghan?
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
User avatar
Lols
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 327
Joined: 11 Jun 2014, 00:58
spamone: Animal

Re: The song remains the same ....

Postby johnsmith » 10 Dec 2018, 19:25

Lols wrote:Didn't he do that Amercian Sniper movie, about the true story of the sniper in Afghan?


yes, that was one of his better performances.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Mastodon
 
Posts: 6882
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 22:39
spamone: Animal

Re: The song remains the same ....

Postby mothra » 11 Dec 2018, 00:25

johnsmith wrote:
Lols wrote:Didn't he do that Amercian Sniper movie, about the true story of the sniper in Afghan?


yes, that was one of his better performances.


He was pretty good in Silver Lining's Playbook. That's a great fillum.
User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 5533
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 18:47
spamone: Animal

Re: The song remains the same ....

Postby pinkeye » 11 Dec 2018, 00:30

johnsmith wrote:
Lols wrote:Didn't he do that Amercian Sniper movie, about the true story of the sniper in Afghan?


yes, that was one of his better performances.


A good movie. I don't watch many at all. Just now and then
Recommed
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Jaguar
 
Posts: 2306
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 21:59
spamone: Animal

Re: The song remains the same ....

Postby SethBullock » 11 Dec 2018, 16:45

I've never paid much attention to Lady Gaga, but those are nice songs. :thumb
"Humility must always be the portion of any man who receives acclaim earned in the blood of his followers and the sacrifices of his friends." - Dwight D Eisenhower
User avatar
SethBullock
Irish wolfhound
 
Posts: 611
Joined: 22 Oct 2018, 13:37
Location: Oregon, USA
spamone: Animal

Re: The song remains the same ....

Postby Lols » 11 Dec 2018, 17:23

SethBullock wrote:I've never paid much attention to Lady Gaga, but those are nice songs. :thumb


Awesome, so happy you like them. And here is one that makes me go, wow, wish I had windpipes like that to sing!!

I off for a week interstate, and won't be very active because it's hard to type on a little iPhone, but I will put up another music vid...
...a bit different, but beautiful. So.…(pun intended) stay tuned.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
User avatar
Lols
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 327
Joined: 11 Jun 2014, 00:58
spamone: Animal

Re: The song remains the same ....

Postby Lols » 11 Dec 2018, 19:03

A beautiful piece ~
Comptine d'une autre ete - l'aspres-midi by Yann Tiersen.
(Translated from French is ~ Nursery rhyme of another summer afternoon.)

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
User avatar
Lols
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 327
Joined: 11 Jun 2014, 00:58
spamone: Animal

Re: The song remains the same ....

Postby mothra » 14 Dec 2018, 17:42

For Lols ... many blessings.


User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 5533
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 18:47
spamone: Animal

Previous

Return to Sand Pit

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest