Well, THAT was a shock to the system

Casual chatting. Guest posting allowed.

A big welcome to all the guests sitting here reading to go back and ponder! Why not post?

Hot topic: Handmaid’s Tale

Just post here—don’t need to join.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.

Re: Well, THAT was a shock to the system

Postby HBS Guy » 12 May 2018, 09:36

Had a bit of a look on Gum Tree.

A big roll of lucerne hay $80, equivalent of 15-20 small bales. Cheap! That guy is not where I am but I bet I can find similar near me.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 18 May 2018, 09:49

HBS Guy wrote:Yes, am pleased with myself. Miketrees thinks I have spaced the trees a bit far apart but if so, too late to do anything about it. I think light can get through to all the trees.

I have been thinking about this, like planting semi-dwarf eating apples—how many apples can I eat???

So I decided to look up optimum planting distances:

OrangePippin site:

Larger semi-vigorous rootstocks

Fruit tree spacing [when] using vigorous rootstocks

Apple - MM111
Pear - Pyrodwarf
Cherry - Colt

Distance between trees: 4.5m - 5m
Spread: 4.5m

These semi-vigorous rootstocks are more vigorous than the mainstream semi-vigorous rootstocks and need a bit more space.

These rootstocks are best suited to training as half-standards.

So at 4.6m apart, 5m between rows I think I have it right. The trees have canopies 3-4m wide and are 2 - 3.5m tall.

The cherry trees are on dwarf (NOT stallion) rootstocks and are 2 -2.5m tall. Will plant them as standalone trees 2m apart, take up 14m of Row 5 which is fine. Dwarf apple trees will go in Row 4 and perry pears two rows at the front of the garden.

I am going to plant rosemary, sage and oregano in Row 4 for now, plant spuds where I can between trees and hope to get clivia to plant around the trees. Things go better with lots of different things planted/interplanted. Might sow some lemon balm and borage and they self seed so much should keep going over summer. Comfrey is another thing I want to plant.

No point ATM in trying to plant clover or whatever in the rows between the trees—so much wasteland around, former farmland subdivided then nothing done for decades that gorse, couch, kikuyu etc etc will come up regardless of what I do or plant. There is a piece of land across the road from me that is full of weeds and gorse and ti trees etc etc etc: owner needs to do things he can’t afford before subdividing. Across the road a little way past my backfence is farmland, think just grazing land, not crops. So weeds aplenty setting seed that the wind carries to my block. I could pray all the weeds on my block die I suppose :pope
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 20 May 2018, 08:22

Plant some fennel in the hedgerow. Encourages wasps parasitic on aphids.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 20 May 2018, 19:18

Tansy too. Great insect repellent and attract lady beetles, lacewings, minute pirate bugs, and parasitic wasps.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Gladys » 20 May 2018, 19:42

What happened to the B&B idea?
Gladys

Postby Aussie » 20 May 2018, 20:38

Gladys wrote:What happened to the B&B idea?

I approved that in your absence Mr Smith. There is nothing new or controversial in the content.

Some wanker using an Amsterdam proxy.
Aussie
Hero of the Soviet Union

Postby johnsmith » 20 May 2018, 20:40

Aussie wrote:
Gladys wrote:What happened to the B&B idea?

I approved that in your absence Mr Smith. There is nothing new or controversial in the content.

all good.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Warthog

spamone: Animal

Postby Gladys » 20 May 2018, 21:43

Thanks from Montamarta.
Gladys

Postby HBS Guy » 20 May 2018, 23:30

I thought Agnes didn’t read here?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Previous

Return to Sand Pit