The latest shame from Nauru

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

The latest shame from Nauru

Postby mothra » 14 May 2018, 17:46

Iranian refugee and son at risk of suicide returned to Nauru against medical advice
Fatemah and son, 17, taken from Taiwan in pre-dawn transfer to Australian-run centre

An Iranian refugee and her son have been returned to Nauru from Taiwan in a pre-dawn transfer which went against psychiatric advice that the son not be returned because his severe mental illness is caused by his detention.

Fatemah and her 17-year-old son, who Guardian Australia will refer to as Hamid, had been in Taiwan for two months after they were medically transferred from the Australian-run immigration centre.

Fatemah had been waiting 18 months for critical heart surgery but refused to be separated from Hamid, who was suicidal after more than five years on Nauru.

Psychiatric reports said Hamid’s mental illness was caused and exacerbated by his detention, and he should not be returned, but early on Thursday morning officers from the Australian Border Force took him and his mother from their Taipei accommodation and put them on a plane.

On Tuesday the pair’s caseworker had sought to renew their visas to stay in Taiwan but two days later officials arrived at their accommodation and told them to pack, Fatemah said. Their phones were taken from them and they were taken in two separate vans to a charter jet, with four guards accompanying each of them, she said.

Fatemah said during his last visit with a psychiatrist her son was told ABF was going to transfer the pair to the US, but neither have sat for a resettlement interview and the US government’s travel ban has been blamed for all Iranian and Somali refugees being rejected.

She said they had been accused of lying about conditions in Nauru.

Numerous medical reports from 2014 to 2018, seen by the Guardian, have detailed the physical and mental health problems of Fatemah and Hamid.

In a video interview filmed last week, before their removal, Fatemah spoke of her son’s distress.

“My son says to me, ‘let’s attempt suicide together’,” she said. “He believes the only way to freedom is in death. I have sympathy for all the mothers and their children who live in Nauru. We are preyed on and our lives are subjected to cruelty.”

Fatemah and Hamid were sent to Taiwan under a relatively new Australian government policy, which allows critically ill refugees and asylum seekers being detained offshore to receive high-level care in a third country that is not party to the refugee convention.

Both had been seeing a psychiatrist while there, and a recent report from Hamid’s at the Taiwan Adventist hospital found that being held indefinitely on Nauru was contributing to and causing his mental illness.

“The depressive symptoms were not improved, moreover, he had persistent suicide ideation and some organised plans,” the report said.

“I have already prescribed [an] antidepressant for him and told his mother, who is also a patient with major depression, to accompany him. After discussing with the patient, his mother and their case manager, I think the environment in Nauru is [not only] not helpful with his depression, but even the trigger of his depression.”

Fatemah accused the Australian government of treating her and her son, as well as other refugees, worse than “a criminal in a third world country”.

“I don’t know what to say about the way the Australian government has treated us. I have been officially accepted as a refugee, but still live in a tent,” she said.

Nauru sources and observers have reported a growing crisis of mental illness among the more than 140 refugee and asylum seeker children on the island.

On three separate occasions it has taken urgent court action before the Australian government has agreed to transfer three pre-teenage children suffering acute mental illness to Australia for critical medical care after repeated suicide attempts.

The Department of Home Affairs has been contacted for comment.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/may/14/iranian-refugee-and-son-at-risk-of-suicide-returned-to-nauru-against-medical-advice
User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 4531
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 18:47
spamone: Animal

Re: The latest shame from Nauru

Postby Aussie » 14 May 2018, 17:49

'Onya Potato Head.

Far cough.

:up
User avatar
Aussie
Hero of the Soviet Union
 
Posts: 6083
Joined: 13 Mar 2010, 18:25

Re: The latest shame from Nauru

Postby johnsmith » 14 May 2018, 19:03

can we send potato head to Nauru?
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Rhinocerus
 
Posts: 5044
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 22:39
spamone: Animal

Re: The latest shame from Nauru

Postby pinkeye » 14 May 2018, 22:40

HE would refuse to go.
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Jaguar
 
Posts: 1623
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 21:59
spamone: Animal

Re: The latest shame from Nauru

Postby johnsmith » 14 May 2018, 23:13

pinkeye wrote:HE would refuse to go.


don't give him a choice.

Bag and tag him, then drop him out of a plane over Nauru .... parachute optional
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Rhinocerus
 
Posts: 5044
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 22:39
spamone: Animal

Re: The latest shame from Nauru

Postby mothra » 14 May 2018, 23:26

johnsmith wrote:
pinkeye wrote:HE would refuse to go.


don't give him a choice.

Bag and tag him, then drop him out of a plane over Nauru .... parachute optional


Give him a kayak and a single oar. Point him in the right direction. He should have the full experience.

I suppose that means we should persecute him for a while before we set him to sea.
User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 4531
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 18:47
spamone: Animal

Re: The latest shame from Nauru

Postby johnsmith » 14 May 2018, 23:28

mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
pinkeye wrote:HE would refuse to go.


don't give him a choice.

Bag and tag him, then drop him out of a plane over Nauru .... parachute optional


Give him a kayak and a single oar. Point him in the right direction. He should have the full experience.

I suppose that means we should persecute him for a while before we set him to sea.


you're overly generous with tax payers money aren't you?... you know what an oar costs?
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Rhinocerus
 
Posts: 5044
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 22:39
spamone: Animal

Re: The latest shame from Nauru

Postby pinkeye » 14 May 2018, 23:35

Just for HIM? NO expense should be spared.!
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Jaguar
 
Posts: 1623
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 21:59
spamone: Animal

Re: The latest shame from Nauru

Postby mothra » 14 May 2018, 23:38

johnsmith wrote:
you're overly generous with tax payers money aren't you?... you know what an oar costs?



My problem is i'm a bleeding heart.

How about we let him fashion one from driftwood?
User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 4531
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 18:47
spamone: Animal

Re: The latest shame from Nauru

Postby johnsmith » 14 May 2018, 23:40

mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
you're overly generous with tax payers money aren't you?... you know what an oar costs?



My problem is i'm a bleeding heart.

How about we let him fashion one from driftwood?


we could tie the kayak to migaloo :giggle
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Rhinocerus
 
Posts: 5044
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 22:39
spamone: Animal

Re: The latest shame from Nauru

Postby mothra » 14 May 2018, 23:42

Poor Migaloo! We can't do that to Migaloo!
User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 4531
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 18:47
spamone: Animal

Re: The latest shame from Nauru

Postby johnsmith » 14 May 2018, 23:45

mothra wrote:Poor Migaloo! We can't do that to Migaloo!



he wouldn't even notice, except perhaps for the constant shrieking assaulting his eardrums every time he came up for air.

hopefully he'd be well into antarctic waters before the ropes became untied.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Rhinocerus
 
Posts: 5044
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 22:39
spamone: Animal

Re: The latest shame from Nauru

Postby mothra » 14 May 2018, 23:50

johnsmith wrote:
mothra wrote:Poor Migaloo! We can't do that to Migaloo!



he wouldn't even notice, except perhaps for the constant shrieking assaulting his eardrums every time he came up for air.

hopefully he'd be well into antarctic waters before the ropes became untied.


No i think mere proximity to the potato would be unbearably stressful for Migaloo.

Is there a shark we're dirty on?
User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 4531
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 18:47
spamone: Animal

Re: The latest shame from Nauru

Postby johnsmith » 14 May 2018, 23:58

mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
mothra wrote:Poor Migaloo! We can't do that to Migaloo!



he wouldn't even notice, except perhaps for the constant shrieking assaulting his eardrums every time he came up for air.

hopefully he'd be well into antarctic waters before the ropes became untied.


No i think mere proximity to the potato would be unbearably stressful for Migaloo.

Is there a shark we're dirty on?



we could tie him to some bankers
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Rhinocerus
 
Posts: 5044
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 22:39
spamone: Animal

Re: The latest shame from Nauru

Postby pinkeye » 15 May 2018, 00:06

or the Seismic charges they are exploding in TGAB ... or whatever they're doing down there.

NO OFF-SHORE EXPLORATION OR MINING IN TGAB.!!
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Jaguar
 
Posts: 1623
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 21:59
spamone: Animal

Re: The latest shame from Nauru

Postby mothra » 15 May 2018, 00:30

johnsmith wrote:
mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
mothra wrote:Poor Migaloo! We can't do that to Migaloo!



he wouldn't even notice, except perhaps for the constant shrieking assaulting his eardrums every time he came up for air.

hopefully he'd be well into antarctic waters before the ropes became untied.


No i think mere proximity to the potato would be unbearably stressful for Migaloo.

Is there a shark we're dirty on?



we could tie him to some bankers


Now how's that going to get him to Nauru? Is he supposed to use them as oars or something?

Do you think anything scary would come up if i googled "sharks of ill-repute"?
User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 4531
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 18:47
spamone: Animal

Re: The latest shame from Nauru

Postby mothra » 15 May 2018, 00:31

pinkeye wrote:or the Seismic charges they are exploding in TGAB ... or whatever they're doing down there.

NO OFF-SHORE EXPLORATION OR MINING IN TGAB.!!


Seconded!

Soulless bastards.
User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 4531
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 18:47
spamone: Animal

Re: The latest shame from Nauru

Postby pinkeye » 15 May 2018, 01:20

NBN shits me. Keeps dropping out..
usually when my post is ready to go.

Bastards
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Jaguar
 
Posts: 1623
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 21:59
spamone: Animal

Re: The latest shame from Nauru

Postby johnsmith » 15 May 2018, 07:38

mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
mothra wrote:Poor Migaloo! We can't do that to Migaloo!



he wouldn't even notice, except perhaps for the constant shrieking assaulting his eardrums every time he came up for air.

hopefully he'd be well into antarctic waters before the ropes became untied.


No i think mere proximity to the potato would be unbearably stressful for Migaloo.

Is there a shark we're dirty on?



we could tie him to some bankers


Now how's that going to get him to Nauru? Is he supposed to use them as oars or something?

Do you think anything scary would come up if i googled "sharks of ill-repute"?


tie him to some bankers, throw them overboard. How they get to Nauru from there on is there problem
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Rhinocerus
 
Posts: 5044
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 22:39
spamone: Animal

Re: The latest shame from Nauru

Postby HBS Guy » 15 May 2018, 08:49

johnsmith wrote:
mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
pinkeye wrote:HE would refuse to go.


don't give him a choice.

Bag and tag him, then drop him out of a plane over Nauru .... parachute optional


Give him a kayak and a single oar. Point him in the right direction. He should have the full experience.

I suppose that means we should persecute him for a while before we set him to sea.


you're overly generous with tax payers money aren't you?... you know what an oar costs?


You don’t use oars in a kayak, you use paddles. Could paddle Potatohead to a mash before putting him in the kayak and giving him the paddle?
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 47458
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: The latest shame from Nauru

Postby mothra » 15 May 2018, 13:00

johnsmith wrote:
tie him to some bankers, throw them overboard. How they get to Nauru from there on is there problem


No, i absolutely insist he land in Nauru. He can fight the bankers for the top bunk.

I'm still thinking human eating shark. Crocs up that way?
User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 4531
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 18:47
spamone: Animal

Re: The latest shame from Nauru

Postby mothra » 15 May 2018, 13:02

HBS Guy wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
pinkeye wrote:HE would refuse to go.


don't give him a choice.

Bag and tag him, then drop him out of a plane over Nauru .... parachute optional


Give him a kayak and a single oar. Point him in the right direction. He should have the full experience.

I suppose that means we should persecute him for a while before we set him to sea.


you're overly generous with tax payers money aren't you?... you know what an oar costs?


You don’t use oars in a kayak, you use paddles. Could paddle Potatohead to a mash before putting him in the kayak and giving him the paddle?


The idea of paddling the potato is giving me the horrors. I think we just beat him with the bankers.
User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 4531
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 18:47
spamone: Animal

Re: The latest shame from Nauru

Postby pinkeye » 16 May 2018, 03:27

I vote we put the whole government in a leaky boat and send them to Indonesia.
They'll be happy, well-looked after and fed there. Even better though is they won't be HERE. :bgrin :bike

OFF they go. Bon Voyage and don't come back EVER.

BANNED for LIFE.
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Jaguar
 
Posts: 1623
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 21:59
spamone: Animal

Re: The latest shame from Nauru

Postby johnsmith » 16 May 2018, 07:33

pinkeye wrote:I vote we put the whole government in a leaky boat and send them to Indonesia.
They'll be happy, well-looked after and fed there. Even better though is they won't be HERE. :bgrin :bike

OFF they go. Bon Voyage and don't come back EVER.

BANNED for LIFE.


I'll second that proposal :clap
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Rhinocerus
 
Posts: 5044
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 22:39
spamone: Animal

Re: The latest shame from Nauru

Postby pinkeye » 17 May 2018, 02:17

sigh

Seems the only thing we can actually do, is VOTE THEM OUT, at the next election.

They MUST go. What Australian government agencies, contractors, etc, have been doing in our (MY) name is ............. fuck...........so appalling, in so many ways....I'm lost for words (almost)

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK...........
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Jaguar
 
Posts: 1623
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 21:59
spamone: Animal

Next

Return to Politics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: hatty and 0 guests