Thailand

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Thailand

Postby pinkeye » 11 Jul 2018, 02:33

All of the young lads, and their coach are now out of that cave.

Mighty news, and lets hope they prove to be essentially unscathed.

One man lost his life... a truly brave man....
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Re: Thailand

Postby johnsmith » 11 Jul 2018, 09:18

pinkeye wrote:One man lost his life... a truly brave man...

he had retired from the Thai seals a year earlier and was only there as a volunteer. Probably got a little cocky and paid the ultimate price for it.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby greggerypeccary » 11 Jul 2018, 10:11

johnsmith wrote:
pinkeye wrote:One man lost his life... a truly brave man...

he had retired from the Thai seals a year earlier and was only there as a volunteer. Probably got a little cocky and paid the ultimate price for it.

Yeah, you're probably right.

Poor bugger.

I must say, I didn't think this was going to end as well as it did - I thought a couple of the kids might not make it.
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 11 Jul 2018, 11:14

greggerypeccary wrote:I must say, I didn't think this was going to end as well as it did - I thought a couple of the kids might not make it.

I read somewhere that the exit involved about 3 hrs of swimming per kid. That they all made it out with no casualties is a very good result.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby greggerypeccary » 11 Jul 2018, 11:44

johnsmith wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:I must say, I didn't think this was going to end as well as it did - I thought a couple of the kids might not make it.

I read somewhere that the exit involved about 3 hrs of swimming per kid. That they all made it out with no casualties is a very good result.

Absolutely incredible, considering that none of them could swim.

Luckiest boys alive.

Now, I just wish that evil witch - Julie Bishop - would keep her stinking nose out of this.
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby Squire » 11 Jul 2018, 12:36

A major feature of this rescue was that nothing was rushed and the Thais accepted foreign help gladly.

It appears that the coach's Buddhist monk training enabled him to keep the children calm during the ordeal.

13-17 days in a dark wet environment with no food apart from snacks they carried into the cave with them is an amazing survival feat.
Squire
Irish wolfhound

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Jul 2018, 12:38

Bishop couldn’t resist grandstanding.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby greggerypeccary » 11 Jul 2018, 12:53

The Aussie doctor's dad has died :sad
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Jul 2018, 13:33

Yeah, that was a sad note to the triumph.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby greggerypeccary » 11 Jul 2018, 13:40

HBS Guy wrote:Yeah, that was a sad note to the triumph.

The roller coaster of emotions that poor bugger must be going through.
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 11 Jul 2018, 13:46

greggerypeccary wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

Luckiest boys alive.

Now, I just wish that evil witch - Julie Bishop - would keep her stinking nose out of this.

I'm not to sure that 'none of them could swim'. I also read somewhere that friends of at least some of the boys were showing video footage of them swimming and playing in a pool.
I suspect that some of them certainly couldn't swim, but the media being what it is, thought it would sound better if they claimed none of the boys could swim
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby johnsmith » 11 Jul 2018, 13:46

greggerypeccary wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Yeah, that was a sad note to the triumph.

The roller coaster of emotions that poor bugger must be going through.

what a tragic ending for him.
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby Bongalong » 11 Jul 2018, 13:47

johnsmith wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

Luckiest boys alive.

I'm not to sure that 'none of them could swim'. I also read somewhere that friends of at least some of the boys were showing video footage of them swimming and playing in a pool.
I suspect that some of them certainly couldn't swim, but the media being what it is, thought it would sound better if they claimed none of the boys could swim

The media exists to sell drama... that implies lies!
Free what?
Bongalong
Pitbull terrier

Postby mothra » 11 Jul 2018, 13:50

I've been thinking about how my son would cope in the situation and how i would cope if he was in this situation.

Not well, is my conclusion.

I
mothra
Duck

Postby johnsmith » 11 Jul 2018, 13:58

mothra wrote:I've been thinking about how my son would cope in the situation and how i would cope if he was in this situation.

Not well, is my conclusion.

I

no access to peelers a problem for you? :roll

I think I would be OK. I've done a little bit of caving in the past so they don't phase me. Tourist stuff, not real hard core spelunking. A romanian dope taking us on a tour once pretended he had to get something, and disappeared. He then turned off all the lights. This was a HUGE cavern and we were suddenly thrown into pitch black with no one around. I just sat on the floor to wait him out, enjoying the quiet. When he returned he seemed a little disappointed, I got the impression he was hoping for some screaming and panic from the Aussie tourist

My kids however would panic. Especially the older one. I can't even get him to go to his room in the dark without his imagination running wild.
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby mothra » 11 Jul 2018, 14:02

I meant more as his mother waiting on the outside (with my peeler in constant use i imagine).

I wouldn't go there in the first place.
mothra
Duck

Postby johnsmith » 11 Jul 2018, 14:16

mothra wrote:I meant more as his mother waiting on the outside (with my peeler in constant use i imagine).

I wouldn't go there in the first place.

ohh, sorry. One day I'll learn to read everything instead of just skimming over it.
In that case I'd be a total wreck.
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Return to Off Topic