Interesting: alcohol levels v's driving

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Interesting: alcohol levels v's driving

Postby Bongalong » 08 Aug 2018, 18:24

Free what?
Bongalong
mountain lion

spamone: Animal

Re: Interesting: alcohol levels v's driving

Postby Bongalong » 08 Aug 2018, 18:27

I would say they are spot on, personally... a small fine or whatever for low range(maybe some points, I forget) but mid-level range(which I am guilty of three times over) is not good and I admit that.

Mid-level(between .08 and .15((from memory))) is not acceptable for a person behind the wheel of a car. I admit that.

That is my humble opinion.

:Hi
Free what?
Bongalong
mountain lion

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Aug 2018, 18:53

Tut tut DRAH, DUI is not good.

Lucky you are not a pilot—0.000% alcohol.

Whether 0.05 is too low—dunno. I would expect the limit got set based on two things: study of accident statistics involving alcohol and academic studies of reaction times, manual dexterity at various alcohol levels.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 08 Aug 2018, 19:00

HBS Guy wrote:Tut tut DRAH, DUI is not good.

Lucky you are not a pilot—0.000% alcohol.

Whether 0.05 is too low—dunno. I would expect the limit got set based on two things: study of accident statistics involving alcohol and academic studies of reaction times, manual dexterity at various alcohol levels.

Yeh, it's arguable about the 0.05 limit but I do have to admit that 0.15 is too high to be driving and between the range of .08 and .15 deserves atleast a $1000 fine and suspension. I got 2 1/2 years for a third offence of mid-level and a $2000 fine. He could have given me a 3,000 dollar fine.

I find no problem with that because it is not good.
Free what?
Bongalong
mountain lion

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Aug 2018, 19:21

That is a sound attitude to take, DRAH. I do remember driving home as a young idiot probably over 0.15: one in particular, early, 5 lane highway (in my memory) and it went around a gentle bend. My car moved sideways like 4 lanes. No big deal at 3.00am I guess but I wake in a cold sweat thinking about that incident now.

So I am probably TOO careful when having a glass of wine with a restaurant meal, stick to one as a rule. At the lunch at the Salopian Inn (great food, good service—FRIENDLY service—a week or two ago I had two glasses Sauv blanc—but still had some of my main course and desert plus time sitting and chatting etc. Wine tasting I only taste at one winery (unless didn’t like the first one and only tasted a wine or two.) (I also drove a lot of back roads, just to have a nice drive not to avoid a RBT setup :roll :bgrin (wellll, I knew I would be driving back roads for half an hour or so so I felt easy ordering the second glass wine.)
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Return to Politics