electicty scammers

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

electicty scammers

Postby Cherie » 10 Aug 2018, 21:39

can anyone tell me if this is a scam- I received call about 8 clock tonight with from 2 men- one telling me electricity prices are going up 25% in SA and they were offering me a rebate to cover the price hike- and then he said after he had delivered his spiel- now I'll transfer you to my manager who was stitting beside him cos he literally just passed the phone to him- no waiting on the line to be transferred or anything like that and the time of night as well - how weird- then when the "manager " got on he made the mistake of saying I was an Alinta energy customer and then I said "wait up hold the train here-something is up- I am not an alinta energy customer" and then I hung up and called my provider who ( of course) was closed that time of night- anyone else been called by these shifty ppl- ?
Honor to God.

Loyalty to the Country Woman's Association.
Cherie
Jaguar

Re: electicty scammers

Postby Cherie » 10 Aug 2018, 21:45

and earlier today I had a guy ring me and say-" I am ringing up about your computer" what the actual eff is going on today- ??
Honor to God.

Cherie
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Aug 2018, 22:14

The computer thing is a definite scam.

Dunno about the elektrickery but it sure smells like one.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Cherie » 10 Aug 2018, 22:44

HBS Guy wrote:The computer thing is a definite scam.

Dunno about the elektrickery but it sure smells like one.

Yeah so says my friends on Facebook- and my daughter
Honor to God.

Cherie
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 10 Aug 2018, 22:56

those 2 calls happened in the same day.?

Definitely a scam. They're trying to hack you. Ignore it.

Something similar is happening here... but they claim there Is/was a car /? accident and there could be entitlement to some compensation.

Now, I don' t intend in any way to be racist here, but most of these scammers, and I have had multiple calls from shady types, nearly all sound like people from India. And they target older people. Some of the callers are older women, some young men...

Checkout Scamwatch.com.au or whatever it's called.

cheers
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Postby Cherie » 10 Aug 2018, 23:07

thank you Pink- these 2 didnt sound Idian- but they were young men I could tell- they had young sounding voices at least lol- just letting ppl know to beware
Honor to God.

Cherie
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 11 Aug 2018, 01:22

I had a mob that used to call, and when I picked up, they'd hang up. They'd been ringing me for well over 18 months off and on, trying computer prob/insurance scams.

BUT there was a phone number , when I checked, and one day I got fed up.

So I left it for a few hours, and then hit redial.

And guess what? a young man answered, with an accent OK sounded Indian to me, and I said to him...……………. ( I might just add.. I have a good ear)

….. you get the idea..
but briefly..... I didn't swear... I told him to STOP calling me .. and then hanging up,... that's all you've done recently. Don't EVER call my number again.! etc.

So far, no more calls. Of course, I might just be on a backburner. :roll

Don't accept anything you hear, from ANYBODY UNSOLICITORED, who calls you.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby hatty » 11 Aug 2018, 09:44

We buy our electricity monthly from powershop.

https://www.powershop.com.au/

Go through GetUp! and it's even cheaper..... AGL begged us to stay and asked why we were cutting them off..... My wife said simply for environmental and ethical reasons..... but we have saved a shit tonne so far.

and if anyone calls or comes to the door we can tell them just to fuck right off for the aforementioned reasons.
hatty
Chihuahua

Postby Cherie » 11 Aug 2018, 13:18

hatty wrote:We buy our electricity monthly from powershop.

https://www.powershop.com.au/

Go through GetUp! and it's even cheaper..... AGL begged us to stay and asked why we were cutting them off..... My wife said simply for environmental and ethical reasons..... but we have saved a shit tonne so far.

and if anyone calls or comes to the door we can tell them just to fuck right off for the aforementioned reasons.

thanks hatty I will give this definite consideration- I used to be with AGL and left because they were so pricey--
Honor to God.

Cherie
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Aug 2018, 13:19

I have that up in a tab and will contact them Monday or Tuesday.

AGL are giving me the shits!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Cherie » 11 Aug 2018, 13:23

pinkeye wrote:I had a mob that used to call, and when I picked up, they'd hang up. They'd been ringing me for well over 18 months off and on, trying computer prob/insurance scams.

BUT there was a phone number , when I checked, and one day I got fed up.

So I left it for a few hours, and then hit redial.

And guess what? a young man answered, with an accent OK sounded Indian to me, and I said to him...……………. ( I might just add.. I have a good ear)

….. you get the idea..
but briefly..... I didn't swear... I told him to STOP calling me .. and then hanging up,... that's all you've done recently. Don't EVER call my number again.! etc.

So far, no more calls. Of course, I might just be on a backburner. :roll

Don't accept anything you hear, from ANYBODY UNSOLICITORED, who calls you.

2 scam calls in one day- I am going to call Alinta back and ask after the guy who called me and see how that goes- I never answer a number I dont know but last night forgot my own rule and jutst picked it up- sounds like you scared that guy- GOOD
Honor to God.

Cherie
Jaguar

Postby hatty » 11 Aug 2018, 16:17

I'm still waiting for my thousand bucks that was promised to me when they axed that carbon tax.

and yet.... it seems like i'm paying more now anyways... a lot fucking more!

so...... no thousand bucks, and the climate is going to shit

not that i voted for it but it seems many did.
BTW

wind farms are an eyesore

/sarcasm :sad
hatty
Chihuahua

Postby pinkeye » 11 Aug 2018, 23:54

we ought to take a page from the book the UK uses, and put them OFF_SHORE. Not like we don't understand distances. :roll
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby Cherie » 12 Aug 2018, 23:32

pinkeye wrote:we ought to take a page from the book the UK uses, and put them OFF_SHORE. Not like we don't understand distances. :roll

I actually got another call from the same number last night- I didnt answer- but tomorrow will call their company and see what the deal is
Honor to God.

Cherie
Jaguar

Return to Off Topic