Aust deports asylum seeker a week before appeal due

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Aust deports asylum seeker a week before appeal due

Postby mothra » 13 Sep 2018, 21:54

Australia deports Iraqi asylum seeker whose appeal was due next week
Lawyers scrambled to get a legal injunction preventing the deportation but were kept from contacting the man in time

Australian immigration authorities have deported an Iraqi asylum seeker against his will and despite there being a pending court case scheduled to sit next week.

Advocates and lawyers scrambled on Wednesday night to get a legal injunction but were prevented from contacting the man on the phone, and by the time a barrister was found to lodge an injunction, the asylum seeker was already on a plane.

The man was scheduled to have an appeal before the federal circuit court on 19 September – next week.

The Iraqi ambassador to Australia, Dr Hussain Mahdi Al-Ameri, last year said his embassy would not issue travel documents to Iraqi asylum seekers unless they were clearly willing and had written a request.

The Iraqi embassy was contacted by advocates for the man on Wednesday, and advised of the deportation.

It was told that the man had received a removal notice at the end of last month, but he’d believed a separate notice of his directions hearing, sent on 5 September, meant he would not be removed.

Advocates and friends were adamant he had not signed anything. They wrote to the Iraqi embassy after his deportation to request clarification on the Iraqi government’s position on forceful deportations.

“[He] did not have a lawyer and was isolated from support in immigration detention. I was notified by another detainee who said [he] had been removed by guards from Hawk compound around 3pm and had been threatening self harm with a razor (fortunately this did not happen),” the letter.

“There were considerable efforts throughout last night by myself, another advocate and a Perth solicitor to engage the Australian government solicitor and ABF [Australian Border Force], but to no avail.”

The man had been at Yongah Hill immigration detention centre, where 22-year-old Sarwan Aljhedie died earlier this month. After detainees protested and fires destroyed much of the centre, Australian government officials sought to transfer the men across the country’s detention network. Dozens were sent to Christmas Island, where many are now being told they will transferred back to the mainland.

It follows the forced deportation of at least a dozen Sri Lankan asylum seekers at 2am on Tuesday. They were transferred to Perth from various facilities, and flown out by charter plane. Some of those men also had court challenges pending, and some had been in Australian detention for more than six years.

The Australian government frequently uses private charter planes for its deportations and transfers of asylum seekers and refugees. In December the Department of Home Affairs’ three-year $63m contract with Skytraders will begin.

The company was engaged to meet the “variable, discreet and confidential” operational demands of Border Force, “for the movement of high-risk persons and departmental staff between on-shore and offshore locations”.

The tender said the department needs to take “long-range, multisector flights with limited notice”.

The Department of Home Affairs and the ABF have been contacted for comment.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/sep/13/australia-deports-iraqi-man-asylum-seeker-whose-appeal-was-due-next-week?CMP=soc_567
mothra
Duck

spamone: Animal

Re: Aust deports asylum seeker a week before appeal due

Postby johnsmith » 14 Sep 2018, 08:32

we need a rc into the treatment of asylum seekers. And any breaches of human rights and our laws should be heavily penalised
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby mothra » 14 Sep 2018, 08:48

johnsmith wrote:we need a rc into the treatment of asylum seekers. And any breaches of human rights and our laws should be heavily penalised

We need at least an RC.

I think we also need law suits. Quite a few of them. Now for people to bank-roll them.

Most importantly though, we need more of us beating this drum. The complacency of the Australian public both infuriates me and breaks my heart.

I think there should be riots over what has been and is being done in our name.
mothra
Duck

Postby Sprintcyclist » 14 Sep 2018, 10:48

................. Australian immigration authorities have deported an Iraqi asylum seeker against his will and despite there being a pending court case scheduled to sit next week.

Advocates and lawyers scrambled on Wednesday night to get a legal injunction but were prevented from contacting the man on the phone, and by the time a barrister was found to lodge an injunction, the asylum seeker was already on a plane. ......................

Good work
Sprintcyclist
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Sep 2018, 11:28

Yes, when a government dispenses with due process of law that is ALWAYS good.

You really could think a little bit deeper than you do, Sprint.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 14 Sep 2018, 13:08

Sprintcyclist wrote:Good work

they ought to deport you
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby greggerypeccary » 14 Sep 2018, 14:55

johnsmith wrote:
Sprintcyclist wrote:Good work

they ought to deport you

I'll chip in for his airfare.

We need to rid our country of people like Sprint, Hammer, Valkie, et al.

Arseholes like those are destroying our country.
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby mothra » 14 Sep 2018, 15:40

Sprintcyclist wrote:
................. Australian immigration authorities have deported an Iraqi asylum seeker against his will and despite there being a pending court case scheduled to sit next week.

Advocates and lawyers scrambled on Wednesday night to get a legal injunction but were prevented from contacting the man on the phone, and by the time a barrister was found to lodge an injunction, the asylum seeker was already on a plane. ......................

Good work

I don't understand how you reconcile your thoughts and beliefs with your faith.

There is nothing in which you express the sentiments or teachings of Jesus.
mothra
Duck

Postby greggerypeccary » 14 Sep 2018, 16:04

mothra wrote:
Sprintcyclist wrote:

Good work

There is nothing in which you express the sentiments or teachings of Jesus.

Ask him why it's "good work".

I bet he doesn't have the courage to answer.
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 14 Sep 2018, 19:24

mothra wrote:

In my experience the more religious they proclaim to be, the more unlike Jesus they are
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Return to Politics