The NRA put a KKK hood on Thomas the Tank Engine

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

The NRA put a KKK hood on Thomas the Tank Engine

Postby mothra » 15 Sep 2018, 02:00

The NRA put a KKK hood on Thomas the Tank Engine to protest diversity

The NRA criticised the diversity movement by using a long-running children's show and placing Ku Klux Klan hoods on the characters.

Even by the standards of today’s political culture, it was a startling image: the talking trains from the children’s television show “Thomas & Friends,” wearing Ku Klux Klan hoods.

That was what viewers of the National Rifle Association’s online video channel saw as Dana Loesch, a spokeswoman for the gun rights group, took the show to task for diversifying its cast.

“They’ve decided that the next stop is Virtue Town,” Loesch said Friday on “Relentless,” the NRATV program that she hosts. She was responding to news that the children’s show was adding several female and international characters.

The segment echoed complaints by some that the additions amounted to politically correct pandering. But it confounded many others who wondered why a spokeswoman for an organisation known for fierce advocacy of gun rights would weigh in on programming aimed at preschoolers.

View image on Twitter

In the segment, Loesch, an outspoken conservative commentator, questioned the decision to add the new characters, including Nia, a train from Kenya. How, she asked, could the children’s show introduce “ethnic diversity” when its anthropomorphized characters are mostly trains?

“I’m really, really struggling to understand how in the world there isn’t any diversity in any of this,” she said, before showing a photo of several characters in Ku Klux Klan hoods in front of burning tracks.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/the-nra-put-a-kkk-hood-on-thomas-the-tank-engine-to-protest-diversity
mothra
Duck

spamone: Animal

Re: The NRA put a KKK hood on Thomas the Tank Engine

Postby HBS Guy » 15 Sep 2018, 07:10

Oh good grief! Conservatives really do hate and fear change, don’t they? Even a cartoon FFS!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 15 Sep 2018, 09:25

i hope the NRA keeps it up. This sort of crap will erode their support base until eventually even politicians stop listening to them.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby mothra » 15 Sep 2018, 09:54

johnsmith wrote:i hope the NRA keeps it up. This sort of crap will erode their support base until eventually even politicians stop listening to them.

The terrifying thing is that i don't think it would erode their support base at all.

I, for instance, can see KKK trains being applauded on even Ozpol.
mothra
Duck

Postby johnsmith » 15 Sep 2018, 09:56

mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:i hope the NRA keeps it up. This sort of crap will erode their support base until eventually even politicians stop listening to them.

The terrifying thing is that i don't think it would erode their support base at all.

I, for instance, can see KKK trains being applauded on even Ozpol.

scary isn't it.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Return to Politics