Secularism at risk in Australia

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Secularism at risk in Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Oct 2018, 14:37

Paul Karp reports that Michael Kirby has blasted the Coalition for failing to release the Ruddock review, warning that secularism is at threat and Australians are right to be “suspicious” the government has not stated its plans on religious freedom.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/oct/04/michael-kirby-attacks-coalition-for-failure-to-release-ruddock-religious-freedom-report
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Re: Secularism at risk in Australia

Postby dissilymordentroge » 14 Oct 2018, 18:02

Well now we know SOME of what’s in this report and I’m finding myself guilty of suggesting a conspiracy theory. The report’s suggestion that schools should have the right (religious freedom?) to expell gay pupils has been rejected by Scott Morrisson with such astonishing speed I’m suspicious this whole idea was set up as a paper tiger to make Morrisson look far more tolerant than his religious beliefs tell us he is. There’s an election looming.
The Human Race is insane.
dissilymordentroge
puppy

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Oct 2018, 18:42

Nice to see you post! Hope you will post often!

Well, ’scummo did not initiate the report. As I said, anything ’scummo says and does now is done with an eye on the Wentworth bielection.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 14 Oct 2018, 18:51

dissilymordentroge wrote:Well now we know SOME of what’s in this report and I’m finding myself guilty of suggesting a conspiracy theory. The report’s suggestion that schools should have the right (religious freedom?) to expell gay pupils has been rejected by Scott Morrisson with such astonishing speed I’m suspicious this whole idea was set up as a paper tiger to make Morrisson look far more tolerant than his religious beliefs tell us he is. There’s an election looming.

The report has been ready since about May, Morrison wasn't even in contention back then. Turnbull didn't release the details for fear of upsetting the right in his party, Morrison on the other hand is worried about Wentworth.

And some details I've seen of the report (I think someone put up an article giving an outline this morning, either here or on ozpol) actually suggest that schools not have the right to expel gay students, only reject gays when they apply....... In most cases that won't work as most kids at 13yrs of age (age you usually start high school) have no idea of their sexual orientation is. It'll only keep out older kids wanting to change schools who will be affected.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

spamone: Animal

Return to Politics