Suicide among young women up

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Re: Suicide among young women up

Postby Sprintcyclist » 12 Oct 2018, 15:17

hatty wrote:
Sprintcyclist wrote:
hatty wrote:Wow sprintcyclist.....

way to try and start a pissing contest over what is a serious problem for both young women and men...... and their loved ones.

good job

did you mean anything by that post ?
Or just wanting to look like a SNAG to the women here?

swearing though, a bit uncouth.

youth suicide = serious

and what the pissing hell is a snag?

Sensitive New Age Guy.

It is an old acronym.
Sprintcyclist
Irish wolfhound

spamone: Animal

Postby Auggie » 12 Oct 2018, 21:28

mothra wrote:
Sprintcyclist wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Buried among the data in the latest ABS report is an even more frightening figure: the number of suicides of women of aged under 25 has increased by 76 per cent over the past 10 years.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/frightening-story-hidden-in-latest-suicide-statistics-20181007-p5089o.html

Used to be it was young men committing suicide, now it is both sexes? What is going on?

Equality ?

As you are a taciturn man with considerable inclination towards being morally and ethically outrageous, i could run a few paths on what you are actually floating here.

I'm choosing to be optimistic and going with you speculating that young women are feeling pressures previously reserved for young men, resultant from career equality.

I contest that. For a great many reasons.

Pertinent to this issue though is method. Women and girls have always attempted suicide in comparable rates to men and boys, it's just that the men and boys tend to employ more violent, irredeemable methods, like gun shot, hanging, etc.

Women and girls tend to overdoses and self-harm. In other words, open to intervention.

What this study suggests to me is that young women are opting for more 'final' methods.

Do you have any evidence to show that women have always 'attempted' suicide in comparable rates to men and boys?
The taxpayer - that's someone who works for the Federal Government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination. - Ronald Reagan.
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby mothra » 12 Oct 2018, 21:44

Auggie wrote:
mothra wrote:
Sprintcyclist wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Buried among the data in the latest ABS report is an even more frightening figure: the number of suicides of women of aged under 25 has increased by 76 per cent over the past 10 years.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/frightening-story-hidden-in-latest-suicide-statistics-20181007-p5089o.html

Used to be it was young men committing suicide, now it is both sexes? What is going on?

Equality ?

As you are a taciturn man with considerable inclination towards being morally and ethically outrageous, i could run a few paths on what you are actually floating here.

I'm choosing to be optimistic and going with you speculating that young women are feeling pressures previously reserved for young men, resultant from career equality.

Pertinent to this issue though is method. Women and girls have always attempted suicide in comparable rates to men and boys, it's just that the men and boys tend to employ more violent, irredeemable methods, like gun shot, hanging, etc.

Women and girls tend to overdoses and self-harm. In other words, open to intervention.

What this study suggests to me is that young women are opting for more 'final' methods.

Do you have any evidence to show that women have always 'attempted' suicide in comparable rates to men and boys?

Evidence is abundant. It is well known and accepted.

But here. Ground zero:

In every state and territory of Australia, suicide is much more common among males than females, with the ratio standing at 3:1 in 2012.[16]

According to hospital data, females are more likely to deliberately injure themselves than males. In the 2008–2009 financial year, 62% of those who were hospitalised due to self-harm were female.[17]

Researchers have attributed the difference between attempted and completed suicides among the sexes to males using more lethal means to end their lives.[18]

Suicide rates for both males and females have generally decreased since the mid-90s with the overall suicide rate decreasing by 23% between 1999 and 2009. Suicide rates for males peaked in 1997 at 23.6 per 100,000 but have steadily decreased since then and stood at 14.9 per 100,000 in 2009. Female rates reached a high of 6.2 per 100 000 in 1997. Rates declined after that and was 4.5 per 100 000 in 2009.[19] Comparing sex differences in suicide rates need to consider differences across the lifespan. Since 2003, for females, suicide rates range from 4 – 6 suicides per 100 000 with no apparent age association, whilst for men suicide rates range from 10 – 30 suicides per 100 000 with substantive differences across the lifespan; those males in middle and older age report substantially increased rates of suicide.[20]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_in_Australia
mothra
Duck

Postby Auggie » 13 Oct 2018, 09:08

mothra wrote:
Auggie wrote:
mothra wrote:
Sprintcyclist wrote:

Equality ?

Evidence is abundant. It is well known and accepted.

But here. Ground zero:

In every state and territory of Australia, suicide is much more common among males than females, with the ratio standing at 3:1 in 2012.[16]

According to hospital data, females are more likely to deliberately injure themselves than males. In the 2008–2009 financial year, 62% of those who were hospitalised due to self-harm were female.[17]

Researchers have attributed the difference between attempted and completed suicides among the sexes to males using more lethal means to end their lives.[18]

Suicide rates for both males and females have generally decreased since the mid-90s with the overall suicide rate decreasing by 23% between 1999 and 2009. Suicide rates for males peaked in 1997 at 23.6 per 100,000 but have steadily decreased since then and stood at 14.9 per 100,000 in 2009. Female rates reached a high of 6.2 per 100 000 in 1997. Rates declined after that and was 4.5 per 100 000 in 2009.[19] Comparing sex differences in suicide rates need to consider differences across the lifespan. Since 2003, for females, suicide rates range from 4 – 6 suicides per 100 000 with no apparent age association, whilst for men suicide rates range from 10 – 30 suicides per 100 000 with substantive differences across the lifespan; those males in middle and older age report substantially increased rates of suicide.[20]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_in_Australia

Thanks for that. Very helpful.
The taxpayer - that's someone who works for the Federal Government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination. - Ronald Reagan.
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby Sprintcyclist » 13 Oct 2018, 12:51

..................... Suicide rates for males peaked in 1997 at 23.6 per 100,000 but have steadily decreased since then and stood at 14.9 per 100,000 in 2009.
Female rates reached a high of 6.2 per 100 000 in 1997. Rates declined after that and was 4.5 per 100 000 in 2009. ...............

.................. Suicide is predominantly a male cause of death with 76.6 per cent of all suicide deaths in 2009. ................

https://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/pubs/BN/2011-2012/Suicide

As usual lies are told and all the sympathy goes to women, who ALREADY have all the benefits.

Craven men here pander to women as soon as they can
Sprintcyclist
Irish wolfhound

Postby Auggie » 13 Oct 2018, 12:54

Sprintcyclist wrote:
..................... Suicide rates for males peaked in 1997 at 23.6 per 100,000 but have steadily decreased since then and stood at 14.9 per 100,000 in 2009.
Female rates reached a high of 6.2 per 100 000 in 1997. Rates declined after that and was 4.5 per 100 000 in 2009. ...............

.................. Suicide is predominantly a male cause of death with 76.6 per cent of all suicide deaths in 2009. ................

https://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/pubs/BN/2011-2012/Suicide

As usual lies are told and all the sympathy goes to women, who ALREADY have all the benefits.

Once again, you have failed to understand the subtlety of Mothra's argument, which focuses on 'attempts' not deaths.

The study you have quoted doesn't talk about 'attempts'.
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby mothra » 13 Oct 2018, 15:49

Sprintcyclist wrote:

What benefits do women have that men do not?

And were those benefits fought for or handed to us?

Have you been fighting for any benefits? Which ones?

And how is accepting the data on suicide prejudicial? You sound hypersensitive.
mothra
Duck

Postby Auggie » 13 Oct 2018, 17:11

mothra wrote:
Sprintcyclist wrote:

Women are typically prioritised in recruitment in the army and police force, although I don’t think this is a bad thing.
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby Sprintcyclist » 13 Oct 2018, 18:53

mothra wrote:
Sprintcyclist wrote:

Why do you ask so many questions ?

Why can't you accept basic statistics ?

Why do you so deny the oppressiveness men live under ?
Sprintcyclist
Irish wolfhound

Postby johnsmith » 14 Oct 2018, 08:24

ohh, poor diddums is upset that someone cares about women attempting suicide

how dare they, sympathy should be held exclusively for the men!

god be with you Sprint.

:grn
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby mothra » 14 Oct 2018, 10:36

I thought it would be quite seafe discussing the reasons for the rise in suicide amonsgt young women in a thread about it.

Seems it's really just outrageous of the thread to exist. And my shameful part in it, asking questions and stuff, has been exposed.

White men, as we know, are the true victims.
mothra
Duck

Postby DonDeeHippy » 14 Oct 2018, 10:41

the wike quotes stats from 9 years ago, r suicide rates still dropping ?
(I know google is my friend, but im not ina searching mood... its all rainey and gloomy here )
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
mountain lion

Postby mothra » 14 Oct 2018, 10:46

DonDeeHippy wrote:the wike quotes stats from 9 years ago, r suicide rates still dropping ?
(I know google is my friend, but im not ina searching mood... its all rainey and gloomy here )

On the rise.

https://www.lifeline.org.au/about-lifeline/lifeline-information/statistics-on-suicide-in-australia
mothra
Duck

Postby Sprintcyclist » 14 Oct 2018, 11:39

mothra wrote:I thought it would be quite seafe discussing the reasons for the rise in suicide amonsgt young women in a thread about it.

Seems it's really just outrageous of the thread to exist. And my shameful part in it, asking questions and stuff, has been exposed.

yes.

Men suicide at a rate of 300 - 400% more than women. We are the victims
Sprintcyclist
Irish wolfhound

Postby DonDeeHippy » 14 Oct 2018, 12:06

so do u think the attempts of suicide r increasing in women or for a better word r they getting better at it ?
Either way i dont think see men or women as a group being the worse victims, just australians as a whole.
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
mountain lion

Postby mothra » 14 Oct 2018, 12:16

Sprintcyclist wrote:
mothra wrote:I thought it would be quite seafe discussing the reasons for the rise in suicide amonsgt young women in a thread about it.

yes.

mothra
Duck

Postby mothra » 14 Oct 2018, 12:17

DonDeeHippy wrote:so do u think the attempts of suicide r increasing in women or for a better word r they getting better at it ?
Either way i dont think see men or women as a group being the worse victims, just australians as a whole.

That's the 64 million dollar question.

And no, we should not make it a fucking competition. Preposterous.
mothra
Duck

Postby johnsmith » 14 Oct 2018, 13:29

Sprintcyclist wrote:

yes.

and because of that we shouldn't be concerned about the rise in suicides in women? I don't know how you manage to walk and breath at the same time

grow up, stop making it a 'them v's us', we can discuss each issue without degrading the other.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Previous

Return to Politics