Does GUN control REALLY works?

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Re: Does GUN control REALLY works?

Postby Lols » 04 Dec 2018, 08:41

By jingoes, some of the 'ganging up' upon a forum member whom just wants to come in and have time to chill out, only been here over a month, and it's just not on!

Enough is enough, and one thing I won't tolerate, is a writer being personally picked on after being honest about their life. It's the topic that should be debated, not the writer being hung crap on.

It's this type of mentality that stupid teenagers do to others, and is it any wonder why some suicide!!

Make this about the topic, not the writer or his nationality or his job or his life.
I found nothing to indicate he 'shows off' about having been a policeman, in fact the very opposite, an honest account of how scary it has been at times, and thought his own life would be at risk, yet never drawing a gun, which shows a lot of Americans in his position, do have restraint for that as a last resort. Hence he admires Seth Bullock, which in Deadwood, (I have watched it 3 times), is exactly that sort of person, restoring law and order in a lawless land without shooting anyone. The toughest part of our bodies I had learnt at a weekend seminar, are our minds.
None want that on their conscious, having killed or maimed someone, after my encounter with an ex copper from NSW that did shoot someone dead, his unable to go back to work, it is on his conscious and he looked in pain, just like the Viet Vets come back unable to fathom what they have seen and had to do, or, ordered to do.

Mr. Seth here was born into a country that is the way it is. He didn't make the laws, he has abided by them, and served as a policeman and faced more challenges than the average joe in the US.

I for one, would never want to be a copper anywhere, not even in Oz. I have said on Oz Politics, that I think it's a negative job, faced with negativity all the time.

The gun situation in the US isn't good, but it's the way it is now, and governments are to blame. I don't like it, but I won't personally put crap on anyone in here or anywhere for that matter. So with that, lock this topic, it's going nowhere except gang picking on the writer. I'm watching now! :stay Chill out guys, and have a nice day (as they say in the US of A) :bgrin
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

spamone: Animal

Postby Texan » 04 Dec 2018, 08:54

Dax wrote:
Pathetic, you want to stop looking in your ideological mirror and living with this holier than thou attitude, which is the hallmark of a crazy gun totting god nutter. You brag about being a cop, which reflects your lack of intelligence, knowledge and sanity. The track record of USA cops is dismal and represents the lowest form of approach to life, which equates to your lack of knowledge of the real world and not your pathetic murdering disney land existence.

I've talked to pricks like you, when they have been here as tourists and their attitude is exactly the same as yours, they say USA gun policies work and nothing will change their minds as they have god on their side. Which is a great laugh considering the facts surrounding your country and you mythical god of war.

As being boring, isn't that you, who lacks any form of experience outside your home town. You have nothing to support or even equate to your situation to, just your own minimal pathetic experience in a small closed box of emptiness. If you'd travelled the world and seen what the situation is like elsewhere, you may be able to put forward a case, or realise how fucked your gin society really is.

You're not smart, just completely ignorant of the real world and you train murderers. Now that's a real recommendation of your true status in life, a very narrow nothing.

You seem to have a very low opinion of US cops. I have many friends and family who are cops. Some are smarter than others, but they are all decent folks. So you've been to the US. I've lived here for almost 52 years and dealt with cops all over the US. I've had a couple of bad experiences, but never more than a guy who was just more irate than I thought he should be. People have bad days. Most cops have great patience and are easy to get along with. Most of them are very happy to see that I am legally armed and let me keep my gun during traffic stops. Others make me leave my gun in the car and I stand between my car and theirs during the stop. They do their job and we both go home. Most of the US has the same crime rate as Australia. You have drank the koolaid and let our media tell you that all of the US is like the worst areas in our inner cities. Nothing can be further from the truth. If you don't like our policies, that's fine. You don't have to come to America. You can continue your name calling and paint all yanks as "nutters", ignorant, or stupid, but understand that we don't care what you think because your mind is made up and all you seem to do is hurl insults. We are happy with most of our country and I won't live anywhere besides Texas. Enjoy where you are.
Govern wisely, and as little as possible. - Sam Houston
Texan
Pitbull terrier

Postby hatty » 04 Dec 2018, 12:27

ok...... gonna way in on this......... again (sorry)

I have never said that law enforcement should not be allowed to defend themselves with firearms ......... shit in America they bleeding well need to..... Thats the problem!

its the innocent people, or those fleeing a minor weed offence (usually black) getting shot that i have a problem with.

people are dying..... including cops!...... why are they so trigger happy?

my money is on the fact that any cunt could shoot them at any moment.

this topic is about GUN CONTROL........ not prohibition!........ stopping the aforementioned cunt from getting hold of a pistol...... let alone a fucking AR-15, then shooting a cop , a little toddler, their girlfriend, wife, random strangers or themselves.

the cops would be less likely to shoot first so readily or feel the need to, the emo kid wont turn it on themselves or little kids, a boy cant shoot his brother..... or his mum in walmart.........

there is only one good reason for am American to feel the need for an AR-15....... "Fuck You!..... i like machine guns!"........ it's not a good excuse but it's all they fucking have!. some weird eroticism having that cold steel on their hip?

but they will not be reasoned with on the issue so bullets will keep flying everywhere, innocent people will continue to be injured or killed, and the firearms companies and NRA walk away with suitcases of cash, meanwhile the thick, incoherent pussy grabbing oompa loompa will politicise it to gain votes with the aforementioned cunts who buried the aforementioned AR-15s in their back yards.

FFS America is so fucked! I just feel for the innocent victims.
hatty
Pitbull terrier

Postby Texan » 04 Dec 2018, 13:22

hatty wrote:ok...... gonna way in on this......... again (sorry)

I have never said that law enforcement should not be allowed to defend themselves with firearms ......... shit in America they bleeding well need to..... Thats the problem!

its the innocent people, or those fleeing a minor weed offence (usually black) getting shot that i have a problem with.

this topic is about GUN CONTROL........ not prohibition!........ stopping the aforementioned cunt from getting hold of a pistol...... let alone a fucking AR-15, then shooting a cop , a little toddler, their girlfriend, wife, random strangers or themselves.

the cops would be less likely to shoot first so readily or feel the need to, the emo kid wont turn it on themselves or little kids, a boy cant shoot his brother..... or his mum in walmart.........

there is only one good reason for am American to feel the need for an AR-15....... "Fuck You!..... i like machine guns!"........ it's not a good excuse but it's all they fucking have!. some weird eroticism having that cold steel on their hip?

but they will not be reasoned with on the issue so bullets will keep flying everywhere, innocent people will continue to be injured or killed, and the firearms companies and NRA walk away with suitcases of cash, meanwhile the thick, incoherent pussy grabbing oompa loompa will politicise it to gain votes with the aforementioned cunts who buried the aforementioned AR-15s in their back yards.

An AR-15 is not a machine gun and less than 300 are killed by rifle of any kind in the US every year. The mass shootings get the attention and make for big headlines, but they are involved in a tiny percentage of murders.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Texan
Pitbull terrier

Postby hatty » 04 Dec 2018, 13:45

Texan wrote:
hatty wrote:ok...... gonna way in on this......... again (sorry)

An AR-15 is not a machine gun and less than 300 are killed by rifle of any kind in the US every year. The mass shootings get the attention and make for big headlines, but they are involved in a tiny percentage of murders.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

thats when muskets were the thing yeah?

the best thing about a musket?......... gives a guy a chance to calm down.

citing franklin is a false equivalency
hatty
Pitbull terrier

Postby hatty » 04 Dec 2018, 13:51

wow 300...... that's 300 fucking too many!

Jesus H fucking christ almighty

and spare me the line about tyrannical governments.......

your tyrannical government has got drones with missiles!

thats taking a gun to a fucking drone fight........... good luck with that.

and the bullets are still flying and loved ones are still dying! (that would make a great song actually)

guns are..............well............. a bit shit.

thank goodnes we don't feel the need for them
Last edited by hatty on 04 Dec 2018, 13:56, edited 2 times in total.
hatty
Pitbull terrier

Postby Aussie » 04 Dec 2018, 13:53

An AR-15 is not a machine gun and less than 300 are killed by rifle of any kind in the US every year.

That figure '300' does not seem correct. You sure Texan. For example, in that Las Vegas mass slaughter alone, 58 dead and about 1000 wounded.
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby greggerypeccary » 04 Dec 2018, 14:22

Without a gun, you can't shoot anyone.

Of course gun control works.
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby Texan » 04 Dec 2018, 14:28

Aussie wrote:
An AR-15 is not a machine gun and less than 300 are killed by rifle of any kind in the US every year.

That figure '300' does not seem correct. You sure Texan. For example, in that Las Vegas mass slaughter alone, 58 dead and about 1000 wounded.

Couldn't find the exact data and I'm about to go to bed, but a quick google search found this 2016 pie chart. 2018 could be higher because of Las Vegas, but I doubt much higher.

Texan
Pitbull terrier

Postby SethBullock » 04 Dec 2018, 15:05

Aussie wrote:

Aussie, in 2017 there were 17,284 murders in the U.S. 403 of those murders were committed with rifles. That's about 2.3% of the murders.

Sources:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/195 ... -by-state/
https://www.statista.com/statistics/195 ... apon-used/
"Humility must always be the portion of any man who receives acclaim earned in the blood of his followers and the sacrifices of his friends." - Dwight D Eisenhower
SethBullock
Irish wolfhound

Postby hatty » 04 Dec 2018, 15:33

SethBullock wrote:
Aussie wrote:

Aussie, in 2017 there were 17,284 murders in the U.S. 403 of those murders were committed with rifles. That's about 2.3% of the murders.

Sources:

i hope that of those 17, 284 lives lost in the cases where firearms were used were worth it.

and that doesn't even include suicides and accidental shootings.

holy shit!
hatty
Pitbull terrier

Postby Aussie » 04 Dec 2018, 16:03

SethBullock wrote:
Aussie wrote:

Sources:

Okay...and how many were killed in those 403 incidents?
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby Lols » 04 Dec 2018, 17:11

hatty wrote:wow 300...... that's 300 fucking too many!

Jesus H fucking christ almighty

and spare me the line about tyrannical governments.......

your tyrannical government has got drones with missiles!

thats taking a gun to a fucking drone fight........... good luck with that.

and the bullets are still flying and loved ones are still dying! (that would make a great song actually)

guns are..............well............. a bit shit.

thank goodnes we don't feel the need for them

Just as well, don't most countries? I recall, so many moons ago when I was a young teen, some elder women were talking, and said, how the "A Bomb" is probably a world peace keeper.
That seems to be the way to do it with 'humans'....look at history, with the Night's Templars back in the 13th century, during that bloody time, and even further back, over 300 BC with Alexander the Great, so much bloody wars and killings.
That just an example, the history of these times seem to show me, that history will just keep repeating itself until something very drastic comes along to keep others at a distance.
And the bigger our population explode, the more control we need in some way. The majority want to live in peace, but it's just not going to be the case the more unrest and people crowding the planet.

And yes, as a poster mentioned earlier, I was talking to someone, 20 years ago, whom often went to the USA to visit rellies, and he asked,"Why is everyone so polite on the road?" and the answer was "Because we don't know if the other driver has a gun or a bigger gun."
If that's what it takes to keep peace amidst warring mindset, (to which human history proves just how much blood humans have on their hands), then maybe we need this more in Oz, because we are getting a lot of aggro car drivers over the whimsiest thing, and road rage, I even videod a road rage once, happened right in front of us, I still have that video, right up to the servo, when one got out of the car with a huge crow bar. Geez. And the other war we really need to fight, is "Ice" and other potent drugs our youth seem uncaring about getting into.
So it happened, 2 years ago, whilst the very last bf of daughter was living under our roof, bludging off us, police come to our house (wtf?) and ask for him, I said he has started a new job somewhere (at this stage, he wasn't going with my daughter anymore, she ended it, but he had nowhere to go live, and we tried in vain to help him go elsewhere)....so then, I get the message something for him to pick up at the police station.
Me, so naive, says I will come pick it up, (what's the big deal anyway).....and when I went there, I had this big burly seargeant, pull me aside in a little room on our own, and practically told me off, he showed me photos of something they found in his possession, I said "What's that?" he said, it's an ice pipe with a little bag of ice.
As if I know shit about that sort of stuff. He was really getting stuck into me saying I should think of our lives and the danger we are in with someone on ice. (so that's why daughter broke it off with him, she even tried to help him, felt sorry for him etc blah blah blah).

So we have, our road ragers, ice takers, knife wielding, house breaker inners, (oh yeah, my son had his home invaded and stuff taken, and so too have we, living in country, we never locked our cars, and used to leave our mobile phones in the cars), for someone that likes to mind their own business, a lot has happened to us, just as an example of one little family.

I am more afraid of going out on the road driving my car than anything else. The drivers are on ice, or texting on their phones, they have no fear of any consequences, we are just a pushover in Oz, it's been said for a long time, our crooks get away with too much, our courts are not tough enough, and the same repeat offenders keep getting a slap on the wrist.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby pinkeye » 04 Dec 2018, 23:04

The question is Does GUN control REALLY work(s)?

We can all see from posts here that we have a broad question... we are crossing US/Aus lines .. and it really has had everything possible thrown at it, from all sides.

Very well done ... by the way. I never had such an insight into these issues .. be they Aussie or American.

I think it is currently... never the twain shall meet.

We come from different traditions.. and it has been very informative to hear from you fellas... Seth and Tex. All respect.

If I lived over there I'd be proud to count you among my friends. So, lucky friends. :thumb

All respect.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby SethBullock » 04 Dec 2018, 23:56

Aussie wrote:
SethBullock wrote:
Aussie wrote:

Sources:

Okay...and how many were killed in those 403 incidents?

It wasn't 403 incidents. It was 403 people murdered.
"Humility must always be the portion of any man who receives acclaim earned in the blood of his followers and the sacrifices of his friends." - Dwight D Eisenhower
SethBullock
Irish wolfhound

Postby Texan » 05 Dec 2018, 03:42

I found a murderous American cop in the news https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-stat ... out-of-way
Texan
Pitbull terrier

Postby Texan » 05 Dec 2018, 21:36

It worked very well in this woman’s house.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/south-caroli ... eriff-says
Texan
Pitbull terrier

Postby SethBullock » 06 Dec 2018, 01:08

Texan wrote:It worked very well in this woman’s house.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/south-caroli ... eriff-says

Good post! :thumb
SethBullock
Irish wolfhound

Postby hatty » 06 Dec 2018, 09:02

using firearms to mop up the mess created by wealth disparity, ineffectual welfare, ineffectual healthcare, good education only for the wealthy, pathetic minimum wage leading to poverty, over bearing failed drug laws... a biased judicial system that has lead to overcrowded prisons (basically crime school for even minor offenders).

yay
hatty
Pitbull terrier

Postby Texan » 06 Dec 2018, 09:20

hatty wrote:using firearms to mop up the mess created by wealth disparity, ineffectual welfare, ineffectual healthcare, good education only for the wealthy, pathetic minimum wage leading to poverty, over bearing failed drug laws... a biased judicial system that has lead to overcrowded prisons (basically crime school for even minor offenders).

yay

My parents started with nothing, used no welfare, put us through public schools in a Dallas suburb, made us kids pay our own way through college and buy our own cars, and then my dad put my mom through college. Mom has a Bachelors, I have a Bachelors, and my brother has a Masters degree. Dad never graduated high school, but ran his own company and employed dozens of people for 50 years. It was good enough for my family and it's good enough for any of these losers that need to be "mopped up". America is full of opportunity if you work at it. I started at minimum wage in 1983. $3.35/hr.

They did take a loan from a family member and promptly payed them back when they first married in 1964.
Texan
Pitbull terrier

Previous

Return to Politics