Gender equality means men live longer

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Gender equality means men live longer

Postby mothra » 10 Nov 2018, 21:54

Men are likely to be healthier in countries with high gender equality

On average, men die younger than women. Men are also more likely than women to die prematurely, from causes ranging from alcoholism to heart disease to suicide.

But a new report from the World Health Organization finds that, in Europe, those problems are particularly acute in countries with the lowest levels of gender equality. Parity between the sexes, it suggests, could actually save men’s lives.

“Living in a country with gender equality benefits men’s health and shows up as lower mortality rates, higher well-being, half the risk of being depressed, higher likelihood to have protected sex, lower suicide rates and a 40% reduced risk of a violent death,” the WHO notes in a press release accompanying the report.

The paper covers 41 countries, collating information about men’s health from existing WHO databases together for the first time. It found that, throughout Europe, men are more likely than women to face health problems because of smoking and drinking; unhealthy, salt-heavy diets; and through injury, some of which is sustained through violence like getting into fights or being attacked. The risks varied across the region: In Western Europe, smoking was the number-one risk factor in 2016, responsible for 1 million men’s deaths. In Eastern Europe, the biggest risk factors were alcohol and drug use.

Health differences between the genders have historically been so stark, the report says, that we’ve tended to blame those differences on biology, concluding that men are naturally more likely to die earlier and suffer certain conditions. But the report’s authors suggest that health risks from substance abuse or unhealthy diets aren’t inherent to being a man; they are linked to cultures that embrace stereotypical ideas of masculinity. For example, they say, ”a study of men in the Russian Federation suggested that heavy drinking of strong spirits ‘elevates or maintains a man’s status in working-class social groups by facilitating access to power associated with the hegemonic ideal of the real working man.'” Men, in other words, don’t drink more because they’re men; they drink more because of the social pressures that reward them for doing so.

The European countries included in the study differ widely in metrics like life expectancy. Men born in Switzerland in 2016 had an estimated life expectancy of 81.2 years, while men born in Turkmenistan and Russia had estimated life expectancies well below 70. Meanwhile, Nordic countries and Iceland scored highly on gender equality, as measured by a range of factors like representation in leadership positions and educational attainment. Turkey scored lowest on the gender gap index, followed by Hungary and Georgia.

To be clear, the association between gender equality and men’s health is based on correlation, not causation. The authors are not actually saying that lack of gender parity causes men to die, but that many of the factors that damage men’s health—like smoking or heavy drinking—are particularly prevalent in less equal cultures. The report’s authors argue that policymakers should take seriously the idea that the kinds of “masculinities” prevalent in societies with low gender equality are toxic to men themselves. In two examples, they point to road-traffic accidents and suicides. Both are causes of death that don’t relate to disease. But men in less equal cultures may be more likely to take risks, suffer from stress, and lack access to help for mental-health issues.

The researchers also offers some suggestions about how cultural shift toward greater gender equality could improve men’s health. For example, the role of breadwinner has been shown to be associated with increased hypertension and heart attacks in men, as well as increased levels of smoking and chronic back pain. “Despite reproducing patterns of male power, the breadwinner model is not necessarily good for men’s health,” they write.

Leveling the playing field is a long-term project for many women’s rights activists. This report offers a reminder that a more equal society is good for men’s health and well-being, too.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/10/countries-where-men-hold-the-power-are-really-bad-for-men-s-health
mothra
Duck

spamone: Animal

Re: Gender equality means men live longer

Postby Texan » 10 Nov 2018, 23:04

My wife and I have a great relationship. We take care of each other and the rest of the world can do what they want. I’d rather die than bury my wife. I have no problem with equal rights as long as it comes with equal responsibility.

We have a traditional household. I make the money and she takes care of the family and runs the home. It was her choice and it works well for us.
Texan
Feral cat

Postby Dax » 11 Nov 2018, 09:23

The reason men die younger, is because they have always done the hard physical work and are subject to more forms of violence and injury in their work. There is no such thing as equality, it can never be that way between the sexes. All that can be achieved, is equality of opportunity and most women I come across are happy with that.
Dax
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Nov 2018, 09:32

A lot of the difference in mortality is young men getting themselves killed: booze and cars is not a good mix. Wars but these days a big war means the home front is as affected as the battlefront.

A lot of women used to die in childbirth, now they largely don’t.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby mothra » 11 Nov 2018, 16:28

I wonder if any of you actually read the article. I'm guessing not.
mothra
Duck

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Nov 2018, 09:36

I read it.

More women now smoke than men and that will be reflected in the demographics. More women work too. So I suspect some of the figures in that paper.

Heavy drinking of spirits is not good. Where there is gender equality the male is less likely to visit male dominated places where the heavy drinking goes on.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby mothra » 12 Nov 2018, 12:06

HBS Guy wrote:I read it.

More women now smoke than men and that will be reflected in the demographics. More women work too. So I suspect some of the figures in that paper.

Heavy drinking of spirits is not good. Where there is gender equality the male is less likely to visit male dominated places where the heavy drinking goes on.

What jumped out at me most was that better gender equality saw a reduction in violent deaths of men by around 40%.

When supported by the finding ( a bit of an obvious one to women everywhere) that high risk behaviours associate strongly with perceived expressions of masculinity (along with heavy substance abuse and not getting help) are really the great undoing of men.

Your mothers probably tried to tell you.
mothra
Duck

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Nov 2018, 18:51

That is why nature sees to it that slightly more males than females are born: it knows young males are blockheads I suppose.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby mothra » 12 Nov 2018, 19:14

HBS Guy wrote:That is why nature sees to it that slightly more males than females are born: it knows young males are blockheads I suppose.

Son, 12 and a half ... several times a day i hear "Ahhhh!" then thump.

Always followed by a "Yeah i thought that looked interesting."

And the worst is yet to come! I'm horrified!

Quite frankly i don't know why more mothers of young blokes don't die from sheer exhaustion and terror. I swear he's going to kill me.
mothra
Duck

Postby johnsmith » 12 Nov 2018, 19:31

Mothra where's your sense of adventure. :bgrin
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby mothra » 12 Nov 2018, 19:37

johnsmith wrote:Mothra where's your sense of adventure. :bgrin

I have no adrenaline left. None. Nada. Zilch.
mothra
Duck

Postby Aussie » 12 Nov 2018, 19:46

Says he with those days a few years off yet.
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby mothra » 12 Nov 2018, 19:52

Aussie wrote:

Yeah but deliciously, he's got 2 of them. Hahahahahaha!

I survived a teenage girl but this boy thing is just edge of your seat stuff.
mothra
Duck

Postby johnsmith » 12 Nov 2018, 20:19

mothra wrote:
Aussie wrote:

I have one mantra I always tell the boys.

'Dad will tell you whats safe, if you don't listen, you'll learn after the first injury, if you don't learn then it's because you take after your mother'

:clap :clap :clap
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby mothra » 12 Nov 2018, 20:27

johnsmith wrote:
mothra wrote:
Aussie wrote:

'Dad will tell you whats safe, if you don't listen, you'll learn after the first injury, if you don't learn then it's because you take after your mother'

Well clearly. The woman married you after all.
mothra
Duck

Postby johnsmith » 12 Nov 2018, 20:39

mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
mothra wrote:
Aussie wrote:

Well clearly. The woman married you after all.

Even a broken clock gets it right twice a day :bgrin
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Return to Politics